The new Year has Started, what did you learn in 2013?

Now that 2013 is over, what small nuggets of knowledge did you learn, re-learn, affirm or basically discover during the year that you can share here? 

I'll start, for me:

Mobility is as important to fitness and resilience as strength and cardio

That ladders on lifts are a great way to lift, especially for the average person.

Consistency beats intensity in the long run.

In 2013, I learned:

• Failure to plan leads to failure to train/work and failure to train leads to failure to succeed.
  • In other words, without a vision, we perish.
  • Opportunities are earned, not given. Goals are made, not gifted.
  • I miss Drag Race. Why did they take it off Netflix?? *sad face*

My favorite lesson of 2013: [remembered, not learned]

RuPaul_If_You_Cant-.png

How true it is! For years I hated myself, wanted to fade away and I still battle with depression. I will love myself today, no matter what. And I'll keep on doing it, because life is meant to be loved and lived, not hated and dead.

• Like 2

I learned that it is hard to stay on top of your fitness goals when you have a child that is on the go and another that is new. lol!

Level 8 Half-Elven Ninja (3 Assassin/5 Monk)

[sTR 15.5] [DEX 13] [CON 10] [sTA 13] [WIS 19] [CHA 9]

"With great power there must also come great responsibility" - Amazing Fantasy #15

"Pressure makes diamonds." - Gen. George S. Patton

about.me/daniel.mccarthy Follow my blog

I've learned that sometimes, no matter how hard you try, plans fail.  The test of strength is whether or not you can rebound and keep going, or if you let the failure define you.

• Like 2

The Osprey

Race: Half- Elf | Class: Aspiring Ranger

[Level: 0 | STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA ]

Current Challenge: Learning to Fly |  My group: Fellowship of the Fit

Even if you have never been an athlete, you can look like one if you lift heavy things and watch what you eat.

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

I learned:

-You are not your career

-Writing books is comparatively easy as opposed to PhD Mathematics

-The book you wrote is easier to talk about than PhD Mathematics

-I should switch career from mathematician to author and see where the leaves fall.

-also fitness is still fun too

I gotta agree with Lyra, I learnt that if you fail to plan a goal or a target, I will fail at keeping it up. I just had a general "get fit" goal, but as there was nothing I was moving towards I gave up too easily.

NF has helped me define goals and set them so hopefully this time I will stick to it!

Vido Ardes (VEE-DOW ARR-DEZ)
Race: Roegadyn | Class: Ranger | Job: Mercenary | Stats: STR 4 DEX 3 STA 4 CON 2 WIS 0 CHA 1 | Level: 1
EXP to Level 2: Complete 3 sessions at gym per week, for the next 4 weeks | Progress: 3 / 4
Side Quest: Buy new gym clothes

My Battle Log | My Epic QuestMy Fitness Pal Food & Exercise Diary

"Strength without determination means nothing, and determination without strength is equally useless." - Godo Kisaragi (FFVII)

I think the only thing that properly stuck with me was: "I can do it." Short, simple, and pretty effective when I can actually convince myself to fully believe in it again.

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring."

Yeti on Flickr - Facebook - Instagram

I learned that if your nature is "Powered by Dark Side", that you should perhaps roll with that rather than resist it.

^ I like this X)

Right, what I've learned:

- Academia is not for me

- Turns out that, all this time, it wasn't me who was the problem

- Lifting is actually pretty fun

- I will likely never have a real career

I learned:

-You are not your career

-Writing books is comparatively easy as opposed to PhD Mathematics

-The book you wrote is easier to talk about than PhD Mathematics

-I should switch career from mathematician to author and see where the leaves fall.

-also fitness is still fun too

/highfive

I learned that:

Punching things in a controlled environment (i.e., against pads rather than actually hitting people) is really really really fun.

Running isn't so fun, but it's not nearly as bad as I thought.

It was wise not to expect too much from the relationship when my ex-employer became my publisher.

Having a book published doesn't do as much to help you get a job as I had hoped.

Workouts can be an amazingly important reason to get out of the house.

• Like 1

That each of us can cope with more than we think we can. In the last year I've had so many people say to me "I couldn't do what you've done." And the only answer is "Neither could I, until I had to."

We are all capable of so much more than we realise, and we shouldn't ever forget it.

• Like 3

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

In 2013, I learned how to lose weight effectively while enduring injury to myself. I went through 2 pairs of shoes, numerous raging curses and 500 musical tunes in 3 - 1/2 months, which helped me shed 40 sum pounds.

I also learned (more recently, rather) that you might not be able to rely on anyone for information to your questions, and you'll have to take risks to find the answers yourself.

"Unless you take a step forward, life will pass you by."

• Like 2