Paleo Diet side effects

Cathio

Holla team Nerd Fitness

Been a long time reader of the forums and blog, and I have just started the Paleo diet after a year of solid excercise, but pretty terrible eating.

I have been good for the last 5 days or so, the only concession I have made is milk in my tea (I am British after all) - but yesterday I had a real struggle day - I was tired and moody, but when I went to bed I could fall asleep for nearly four hours. So today I am tired and moody all over again. I also had a bowl of cereal at 2am which i hope hasnt knocked me off the wagon too much.

Has anyone else experienced similar side effects when going Paleo?

On the excercise front I haven't been doing a huge amount, some walking and badminton and one one fairly hardcore gym session on Saturday

Loving your work guys

Cath

I don't think the bowl of cereal is going to do too much damage :)

Are you sure it's not something else causing this mood change? I'm thinking illness or your monthly cycle perhaps? (I'm assuming that is you in the picture?) I switched to mostly paleo and I didn't experience any bad effects from it. It might come from something else. If it doesn't pass in a few days, check with your doctor.

Current form: Chubby House Cat (lvl4)

Weight objective: 20%

S. 4 P. 6 E. 4 C. 7 I. 8 A. 4 L. 5

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

Hi Cath,

I'm a UK paleo person too... (If you're on facebook you should check out the Paleo-UK group.)

It could be a couple of things:

• Maybe you had a lot of refined sugars and carbs before and now you've gone to more whole foods so your body is trying to adjust to the new (and better) diet and fuel supply (using fat instead of sugar).  It can be called the "carb flu".  See it through and your body will thank you!!
  • It could be a bit of a detox again from going from bad diet to good whole foods.  Again see it through and your body will thank you.

Make sure you are eating enough though as some people just drop the bread, pasta etc and don't eat enough good stuff in it's place so feel crap due to not having enough energy.  You should feel better as calories from good food bring with them a lot of good nutrients, the fuel should be slower burning (so less insulin/sugar highs and troughs and more alround energy) and your body will start to use fat as a fuel rather than sugar (and storing it as fat).  So you can eat bacon and eggs cooked in butter and be slimmer/healthier - brilliant!!!

Ben

My current challenge  (Tracker)

Main Quest (Tracker)

"Behold the turtle.  He only makes progress when he sticks his neck out"

"Your mind is like the water. When it is agitated it becomes difficult to see, but when you let it settle, the answer becomes clear." (Master Oogway)

Holla team Nerd Fitness

Been a long time reader of the forums and blog, and I have just started the Paleo diet after a year of solid excercise, but pretty terrible eating.

I have been good for the last 5 days or so, the only concession I have made is milk in my tea (I am British after all) - but yesterday I had a real struggle day - I was tired and moody, but when I went to bed I could fall asleep for nearly four hours. So today I am tired and moody all over again. I also had a bowl of cereal at 2am which i hope hasnt knocked me off the wagon too much.

Has anyone else experienced similar side effects when going Paleo?

On the excercise front I haven't been doing a huge amount, some walking and badminton and one one fairly hardcore gym session on Saturday

Loving your work guys

Cath

Hello!

It really takes a solid 15-30 days to get used to it. Just take it moment by moment, and keep moving forward. 

Also, whether you're British or not, I'd would recommend removing dairy for 30 days. Butter seems to be fine for most people, but dairy can be very problematic. 

Please make sure you're eating enough yams or sweet potatoes (or depending on your version of paleo, white rice) so you're successful at the gym.

I always recommend batch cooking. Take 1-2 days a week, cook up a bunch of meat, veggies, and sweet potatoes and such and have them ready. That way when you're tempted at 2 am you have something to eat. 

Here's something else that may help: http://whole9life.com/2013/01/whole30-timeline/

Good luck! 

I'm currently doing the whole 30 (although been 99% paleo for 10+months now so it's not such a shock to the system although missing the wine and dark chocolate....)

Main Quest (Tracker)

"Your mind is like the water. When it is agitated it becomes difficult to see, but when you let it settle, the answer becomes clear." (Master Oogway)

I'm also on paleo. When I have energy issues I usually go with fruit. I personally like to stick almonds into a banana while I'm eating it, because evidently I eat like an 8 year old. Fruit really helps for giving a boost. If I'm having a sweet tooth I'll pan fry a banana with some butter and add honey.

• Like 1

Agreed with what the others are saying, it's normal to have a period of adjustment while your body gets used to it. Especially depending on what your previous diet was. Since paleo teaches your body to burn fat instead of sugar as it's primary resource, your body can still be looking for sugar to fill that void, and it can stress a bit until it gives in and adjusts, as far as I know.

I had a pretty nasty "carb flu" when starting out, but it eased up as time went on. Lots of water, lots of rest. Plus make sure to include healthy fat with every meal! My brother in law actually eats a spoon of coconut oil straight up when he's feeling an energy crash. I couldn't do it myself, but it works for him.

And don't worry about the cereal, it definitely helps to stick to it as much as possible, but unless you're aiming for a full detox like the "Whole 30 challenge" or anything along those lines, a slip up or "cheat" isn't going to break your system.

As for the dairy, there are tons of mixed reviews on it. Personally I try to avoid it, but I am lactose intolerant anyways. Paleo strives for no dairy (or restricted sources, like butter as Clawed Bear mentioned) but a lot of people follow more of the Primal route if dairy doesn't seem to be causing them issues.

Listen to your body and do what feels best and makes you happiest!

• Like 2

Level 0 - Kitty Hybrid - Assassin-in-training

Battle Log - Current Challenge

I don't know anything about the adjustment period or anything like that, but I'd like to send a reply to the people above me who talk about what would be problematic, what you should avoid/not avoid and so forth.

This is the most educational video I've seen in a long time, when it comes to the paleo diets. I know the title uses "debunking", but please do hear it out because she's not debunking the diet in itself but the common misconception of how the diet should/shouldn't look. So as for eat this vs don't eat this, it really depends on a lot of factors, especially if you want to stay true to a real paleolithic diet based in where you live and how your ancestors in that region really would've eating. If you watch the video you'll understand in detail what I mean.

Chubby Half Elf - Adventurer

Level 0

STR: 0 | DEX: 0 | STA: 0 | CON: 0 | WIS: 0 | CHA: 0

Challenge 1 | 2 | 3

I have had some very crabby moments and I think I was just not eating enough, especially fats. I am following the Bulletproof diet which is an modified paleo, but I haven't removed milk in my tea yet either! I notice if I limit my carbs too much, I start feeling a bit depressed. Some carbs are good for me. Each person has unique needs and no one diet will work for everyone. Explore and discover what works for you and makes you feel good.

• Like 1

I don't know anything about the adjustment period or anything like that, but I'd like to send a reply to the people above me who talk about what would be problematic, what you should avoid/not avoid and so forth.

This is the most educational video I've seen in a long time, when it comes to the paleo diets. I know the title uses "debunking", but please do hear it out because she's not debunking the diet in itself but the common misconception of how the diet should/shouldn't look. So as for eat this vs don't eat this, it really depends on a lot of factors, especially if you want to stay true to a real paleolithic diet based in where you live and how your ancestors in that region really would've eating. If you watch the video you'll understand in detail what I mean.

Robb Wolf has an excellent post about the video. Also, the second set of pics has our very own spezzy featured. :)

http://robbwolf.com/2013/04/04/debunking-paleo-diet-wolfs-eye-view/

The reality is, paleo is not a recreation of a caveman's diet. It's not about demonizing food either, it's about finding food that works best for us. 

Hell, if you read Chris Kresser's new book "the personal paleo code", he includes WAPF style sprouted grains and legumes, and dairy...but only when they fit your lifestyle. That's what most of this is about, how do we find ways to make this a lifestyle. :)

• Like 2

Thanks all for your replies - you have all been much more helpful than google and Mark's Daily Apple 

In particular the points about Dairy are good, I need to cut it out before I can make the judgement on whether or not I can live with out my morning cuppa. I do actually enjoy black coffee (especially with cinnamon mmmm) but black tea is pure uncivilised  :nevreness: , and I think I am going to add rice in on my heavy training/sport playing days

I think my general malaise was a combination of 'carb flu' and badly timed lady problems, and think I probably need to push through it. 

Finally thanks nutterintheshed for the steer on the Paleo-UK group - most of the resources for Paleo are American which is fine (Metric is for wimps)  - but I only last week found out what Cilantro was!!!! though it was this exotic ingredient and it was in my cupboard all along.........

• Like 1

The reality is, paleo is not a recreation of a caveman's diet. It's not about demonizing food either, it's about finding food that works best for us. 

Hell, if you read Chris Kresser's new book "the personal paleo code", he includes WAPF style sprouted grains and legumes, and dairy...but only when they fit your lifestyle. That's what most of this is about, how do we find ways to make this a lifestyle.  :)

dairy can be very problematic. 

I need to cut it out before I can make the judgement on whether or not I can live with out my morning cuppa.

I guess these posts here, show what I have a difficult time understanding with the type of Paleo diet that's being (as far as I can see) advocated on these forums. Nothing personal to you who I'm quoting, but I'm merely trying to understand this.

If Paleo diet, is as you say not trying to demonize food, and only aims to make people eat whatever it is that fits in their lifestyle, then why would people constantly claim/advocate that, in this case, dairy is problematic/troublesome? I mean, I see it happening over and over with grains as well, regardless of type. People keep posting that this and that is bad, whilst this and that is what people should eat - but usually haven't even asked the person where (s)he's living, what (s)he's doing or how (s)he feels about eating certain foods.

I guess my main issue/point/question is: Why would one need to exclude it to find out whether it's possible living without, if living with it doesn't cause you any grief?

I just don't quite manage to wrap my head around this way of thinking.

PS. No hard feelings, I'm merely being curious :)DS.

• Like 1

Level 0

Challenge 1 | 2 | 3

I guess my main issue/point/question is: Why would one need to exclude it to find out whether it's possible living without, if living with it doesn't cause you any grief?

I'm sure there's a bunch of different technical reasons that other people can weigh in on. But in my personal experience, sometimes something can seem like it doesn't give you any grief directly, but once you exclude it you can notice different responses that you didn't spot before.

Like a symptom that you didn't realize you were actually having, or didn't associate with the actual cause.

For example, it took me years to discover that I was lactose intolerant. My symptoms didn't appear to be directly related (not the "usual" symptoms) and it wasn't until I excluded it that I saw a change and then went in to get tested.

Level 0 - Kitty Hybrid - Assassin-in-training

Battle Log - Current Challenge

I guess these posts here, show what I have a difficult time understanding with the type of Paleo diet that's being (as far as I can see) advocated on these forums. Nothing personal to you who I'm quoting, but I'm merely trying to understand this.

If Paleo diet, is as you say not trying to demonize food, and only aims to make people eat whatever it is that fits in their lifestyle, then why would people constantly claim/advocate that, in this case, dairy is problematic/troublesome? I mean, I see it happening over and over with grains as well, regardless of type. People keep posting that this and that is bad, whilst this and that is what people should eat - but usually haven't even asked the person where (s)he's living, what (s)he's doing or how (s)he feels about eating certain foods.

Oh, it's okay. I like discussing it because I'd rather talk about special snowflake syndrome than just think everything is a-ok.

My take on it: gluten is bad. Some people can tolerate it, but I'd argue there's a difference between tolerating it and thriving on it.

Everything else can be good / bad on a series of degrees.

We're all different. The easiest way to do this is to take a 30 day period, eat animals, plants, fat, and fruit.

Add stuff in. Take it out. Take 2-3 days and see how you feel. Then do it with another thing.

The reality is: you do that 30 day challenge and suddenly you realize that you don't need X. Or that you love it and it works for you. Or that you're actually allergic and didn't know it because you were so inflamed from a bunch of different foods.

Dairy is weird. I don't think it's bad, but there's so many different ways to eat it that there's no one good solution.

I do great with European butter and aged cheese. If I'm not stressed, I can drink heavy whipping cream.

If I am stressed, I have to pull out every dairy product but butter, and stop with coffee, some nightshades, and other stuff.

It's so individualized that a blanket recommendation doesn't work. Which is why most of the time I go....well. Maybe.

:)

@Tasimmet - Again, I can understand it, if you have symptoms that you can't explain. In that case if it's suspected to be a food allergy, it's a brilliant way to figure out what exactly it is. But I don't think I'll ever understand or at least agree with the point of doing it in order to try if you had any symptoms you didn't know you had. Personally, I feel that it would be a counterproductive step to what I'm trying to achieve, which is to simply feel happy and good about myself and my life + be somewhat healthy (as in, not dying from walking up the stairs etc.). And if you sit down and think, and can come up with absolutely no symptoms/quirky stuff that your body is doing that is making you uncomfortable/unhappy/feel bad, why should you go look for it?

@Clawed_Bear - I do agree with you about it being individual, but I just can't help wondering if some people are just nitpicky with some stuff (again, not pointing any fingers, just generally speaking). I have personally talked to people who claim to be feeling so much better(!!) after cutting out this or that, but when asking for more specific explanations, they themselves can't even put their fingers on in what they they think they're feeling better, they just think they are. And well, as someone who's currently doing science (biology) at university, it just screams placebo all over the whole thing in a lot of cases. Of course, that's not always the case and I'm sure there are plenty of people who did benefit from it, absolutely :)

My (partly theorethical) take on food is as following: I enjoy eating pretty much "traditional food", I guess you could call it. I haven't seen obesity or any severe cases of diabetes/heart problems/[insert disorder here] in my family on my mothers side, and they always ate traditional swedish food. Potatoes is a staple food, some kind of meat to it and preferably with a gravy/sauce as well. I try to add veggies, and I do try to make sure my gravy/sauce isn't filled with horrific stuff or is so calorie dense that it pushes me way over the limit of what I should eat. Unfortunately my time as a student has left me quite lazy when it comes to cooking and very busy with school, so I often eat out, which I am well aware isn't the most healthy thing. I don't really avoid any particular kind of food, apart from the things that I'm allergic to, which isn't all too much (I'm allergic to citrus). The only change I'd like to make is (since I'm over-weight), I'd like to get more veggies on my plate, which is filling but with lesser calories, and less of potatoe/carb and meat/protein part of the plate (and gravy!) which can be rather calorie dense.

Level 0

Challenge 1 | 2 | 3

The idea of something like the Whole 30 is to eliminate those things that have been found to be problematic for some people, like grains and dairy.  Flush your body of those things for 30 days and then begin to slowly add things back and see if they cause a reaction, negative or otherwise.  Here is an example.  I did the Whole 30 last year as my own experiment (which is what it actually is).  I felt great, slept better, lost weight -  all of the things we are told it will do.  At the end of the month, I added some dairy back into my diet.  I had milk and maybe a little cheese here and there.  I gave it a couple of weeks and really didnt notice anything.  Then I added pasta back in.  I noticed that night and the next day that I felt more sluggish than I had previously.  I tried it a couple of times with the same results.  So I know that pasta has an affect.  Something I wouldnt have noticed before because I didnt know I felt sluggish all of the time.  The Whole 30 allowed me to know what it felt like to have more energy - something I didnt know I was missing.  No one HAS to do it but that is the general concept behind it.  It is a personal experiment to see how your body reacts to certain foods. 

At the same time, there are a lot of articles written about the concept of paleo and I think we as humans love to take up a cause so some get a little over zealous and proclaim dairy is terrible for example.................. it might be for some and it might be ok for others if not over consumed.  Wheat products tend to get most of the ire though and there are a multitude of studies/articles/books to read on the subject. 

I read the book "It Starts With Food and I think it does a good job of explaining how our bodies react to food.  My favorite line in the book is something like "everything you put in your mouth makes you healthier or less healthy."  There are many foods that we would all agree are not going to make us healthier.  Others, like milk, arent so obvious unless we figure it out for ourselves. 

Make sense?

• Like 1

@Jacksson - Well yeah, sort of like I already stated. I do understand that people are trying it, and I think I understand for what reasons. I mean, I'm all for experimenting on myself to a certain extent as well, and I'm not one to completely dismiss ideas just because I don't like them, or they don't suit me. My concern is more for the approach, rather than the diet/lifestyle/thing itself. I guess I've mostly only come across those overly zealous people that start to almost take divine/God into the picture (I swear, it did happen!), and that has of course affected my view on things based on what I've previous heard/experienced :)

I am keeping close watch at most diets/trends when it comes to eating, as to make myself an opinion on whether I'd like to try it or not. And I am by no means saying I'll never try Paleo or something like the Whole30, but it's definitely not in any near future because I have other things to test first, and one can only do so many experiments at once :P

Level 0

Challenge 1 | 2 | 3

The more I read about gluten (GrainBrain, Wheat Belly and various other sources) the more it's something I can live without.  I have had eczema all my life and now heading towards 40 with 2 young sons really started looking into this.  With me now I'm pretty strict paleo (esp at the moment with the whole 30 month!) and I think it'll take a while to sort my eczema out - I've had it for all my life so 5months of diet won't fix it (I'm also working on stress affects at the moment (see this month's challenge))

Just the science behind it seems to make sense (leaky gut, stuff getting through the gut wall, causing inflamation) - besides once you get into proper good whole foods (lots of meat and veg) and work on your cooking and recipes it sure beats a bit of toast or cake (trust me eventually you lose the craving!!)

I also find a High Fat Low Carb diet makes me feel so much more stable in terms of energy throughout the day and during exercise.

I sort of consider my eczema a bit of a blessing now as it was so bad that it forced me to take an interest in my diet (rather than rely on Doctors prescriptions for steroid cream)  read up on it and then if that can be of benefit to my family and others then well worth it.  My brother has ulcerative colitus and since going paleo a couple of months back (after me chatting with him a far bit) has noticed huge improvements. :)

• Like 1

Main Quest (Tracker)

Some interesting issues raised here.  But as one of the few people regularly on this forum that really, consistently follows paleo, I'll weigh in:

Food elimination from a diet is a normal and standard way to find out what is causing a problem IF IT IS IN FACT FOOD RELATED.  This is standard - eliminate suspected foods and take time to reintroduce them one at a time.  This is not limited to paleo or whole 30.  This is a basic way to test for allergies.

Now the special snowflake issue drives me batty.  If I meet one more person who says "I'm paleo except for the french fries and fried chicken I ate today and the burger and bun I ate yesterday and all the brown rice I ate the day before oh and all the ice cream b/c for me paleo is about individual choices and what feels good to your body and my real issue is foods that are green bc I am one of the only people in the world who cannot digest the color green".  bullshit. 

Most people also misinterpret Mark Sissan's 80/20 rule - and yes, I've talked with him about it. 

Go read Robb Wolf's book.  Go read Primal Blueprint.  The issue with dairy is twofold:  lactose intolerance and blood sugar spiking.  If it doesn't bother you and you don't think you are interested in finding out if it bothers you.... then don't do paleo.  Keep on keeping on.  If you feel fine, why do a "fad diet"? 

But... if you don't feel fine or if you want to lose weight, paleo or primal can be fantastic.  I describe paleo/primal thusly:  it's eating an athlete's diet to fuel your body.  For me, paleo was much more about moral choices in my food and what I was willing to put into my body.  And it was damn close to how I was eating already. 

If you feel fine, if you do not want to lose weight, if you are happy and content with your food choices.... keep eating the way you are eating.

Most people on the forum do not keep paleo.  Of those who claim to keep paleo, many are not being honest about their regular and occassional food choices.  Many "paleo" eaters eat a ton of sugar and paleo desserts.  Not paleo. 

For me, I went primal first to lose weight.  Then I noticed a dramatic improvement in my belly.  HUGE.  and my acid reflux disappeared (but I also lost weight so that helps).  Then my eczema got better (but I got further into my allergy treatments which might have impacted that).  Then I just felt better.  And my health markers improved (my husband's dramatically improved). 

Did paleo improve my lifting?  no, training did.    Did paleo improve my mood?  no, I'm the same joyful high energy person I've always been.    Did paleo make the world all sunshine and rainbows?  no.  Did it improve my belly - definitely and I thought I felt great before paleo.  Surprise! 

If you are someone who always has something wrong, paleo will not fix that.  If you are someone who insists you are medically and nutritionally the world's most special snowflake, paleo will not fix that.  It will not make you happy, it will not get you a date, and it will not help you sleep through the night. 

• Like 3

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

@cline - There are definitely ancestors out there, who would've lived mainly on greens, vegetables, fruits and other things filled with blood sugar raising carbs (warmer/tropical regions where hunting was a waste of energy due to the abundance of energy from plants and fruits). But there are also ancestors out there who would've lived on almost exclusively fat and protein from meat and dairy (colder regions where plants didn't grow well or at all). So who are you (or anyone else for that matter) to say which paleolithic diet is the right one? (targeted at the fact that you're tired of people not really being paleo but saying that they are).

I'd also like to add that it's very much possible to lose weight without going Paleo.

Level 0

Challenge 1 | 2 | 3

@cline - There are definitely ancestors out there, who would've lived mainly on greens, vegetables, fruits and other things filled with blood sugar raising carbs (warmer/tropical regions where hunting was a waste of energy due to the abundance of energy from plants and fruits). But there are also ancestors out there who would've lived on almost exclusively fat and protein from meat and dairy (colder regions where plants didn't grow well or at all). So who are you (or anyone else for that matter) to say which paleolithic diet is the right one? (targeted at the fact that you're tired of people not really being paleo but saying that they are).

I'd also like to add that it's very much possible to lose weight without going Paleo.

Who said anything about carbs?  I thought cline's post was on the money.  If you dont want to be "paleo", then dont.  No big deal.  And you are right, there are plenty of ways to lose weight, if that is what you are after.  I think what cline was trying to say is, if someone is feeling bad and they want to find out if it is food related, they should try food elimination to find the cause.  Nothing really to do with paleo.

She also said her choice to follow the philosophy was about moral choices.  I'm assuming that means farming and growing methods.  I dont want to speak for her but as a proponent of the paleo philosophy of eating, I dont give a rats ass what our ancestors ate.  My view of the whole thing is that modern farming has changed food in ways that are not healthy for us.  Profitable for the farmer but not necessarily healthy for us. Reading about paleo has led me to learn about local farms that raise grass fed beef and to avoid wheat based products because they make me feel bad. 

There are certainly a lot of different ideas about what paleo means and sure, some people can be annoying about it.  But just as you dont like paleo nuts discounting food you think is fine categorically, people who support clean paleo style eating dont like to be dismissed categorically because some people eat spoonfuls of coconut oil and proclaim that milk is the devil.

• Like 1

Well, she mentioned that one of the problems with milk was blood sugar spiking, which lead me to draw the conclusion that she saw blod sugar fluctuance/raise and/or carbs as an "enemy" in the same way a LCHF person would do. I might've been wrong in that assessment, that's true. As for moral choices, I'm all for that. I personally always buy locally produced, ecological and fair trade when possible. I think it's important to attempt to sustain what we've got for as long as possible.

Also, I'm really not trying to dismiss anyone in that sense, nor their diet of choice. However, I see a majority of people on these forums who do choose to eat Paleo style food, and I'm simply trying to add a bit of discussion to it whilst also learning what it's all about. I really mean no harm, or anything bad with anything I write, so I hope it doesn't come across as agressive or demeaning.

Level 0

Challenge 1 | 2 | 3

Exactly.  You don't need to be paleo to loose weight.

But no, paleo ancestors did not gorge on pasta alfredo and cheesecake at night while enjoying a starbucks frappucino. 

There is no paleo diet out there that says to not eat fruit or other carbs.  Nor is there one that says eat only meat and dairy.  Dairy as a staple of paleo diets is very very debatable. 

Primal diet sees some dairy as okay as long as a body tolerates it (lactose intolerance) and as long as it's a part of an otherwise solid diet.

A diet of yogurt, milk, and fruit will be a problem for a diabetic.  While "healthy" it's really not.

I'm not saying which paleo diet is the right one - that's silly and I didn't say that.  I said there are people on the forums claiming to be paleo but eating tacos, pasta, ben & jerry's, and bagels.  Then they say they are paleo.  That's what I'm talking about. 

I'm talking about "oh oh I'm paleo let me enlighten you about my version of paleo" that includes eating all the ice cream you want, eating enchiladas 2x a week, and enjoying ho-hos b/c well 80/20 rule and paleo is "whatever works for you".  That's what I'm talking about.  That is not paleo. 

The deal is:  eat real food, mostly protein and veg.  Don't be afraid of healthy fats and if you can tolerate dairy, some dairy in moderation is fine.  BUT for all of paleo and primal, the quality of your food also matters.  Most people do not purchase high quality dairy. 

To be honest, I don't recommend paleo to most people b/c they simply are not willing to make the choices to live a paleo life.  They are too addicted to sugar, too addicted (mentally) to carbs, and simply not willing to invest time and energy into eating paleo.  So, instead I recommend cutting back on sugar, cutting back on carbs, etc. 

• Like 1

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Well, she mentioned that one of the problems with milk was blood sugar spiking, which lead me to draw the conclusion that she saw blod sugar fluctuance/raise and/or carbs as an "enemy" in the same way a LCHF person would do. I might've been wrong in that assessment, that's true. As for moral choices, I'm all for that. I personally always buy locally produced, ecological and fair trade when possible. I think it's important to attempt to sustain what we've got for as long as possible.

Also, I'm really not trying to dismiss anyone in that sense, nor their diet of choice. However, I see a majority of people on these forums who do choose to eat Paleo style food, and I'm simply trying to add a bit of discussion to it whilst also learning what it's all about. I really mean no harm, or anything bad with anything I write, so I hope it doesn't come across as agressive or demeaning.

it's a far leap from me saying glucose spiking is an issue to carbs are an "enemy".  You need to reread my post.  and yes, I'm pissy enough to suggest that. 

I never said anything about carbs in the post.  At all. 

• Like 2

I AM going the distance

Who said anything about carbs?  I thought cline's post was on the money.  If you dont want to be "paleo", then dont.  No big deal.  And you are right, there are plenty of ways to lose weight, if that is what you are after.  I think what cline was trying to say is, if someone is feeling bad and they want to find out if it is food related, they should try food elimination to find the cause.  Nothing really to do with paleo.

She also said her choice to follow the philosophy was about moral choices.  I'm assuming that means farming and growing methods.  I dont want to speak for her but as a proponent of the paleo philosophy of eating, I dont give a rats ass what our ancestors ate.  My view of the whole thing is that modern farming has changed food in ways that are not healthy for us.  Profitable for the farmer but not necessarily healthy for us. Reading about paleo has led me to learn about local farms that raise grass fed beef and to avoid wheat based products because they make me feel bad. 

There are certainly a lot of different ideas about what paleo means and sure, some people can be annoying about it.  But just as you dont like paleo nuts discounting food you think is fine categorically, people who support clean paleo style eating dont like to be dismissed categorically because some people eat spoonfuls of coconut oil and proclaim that milk is the devil.

Before I went paleo, I was trying to eat all my food locally sourced and as much as possible unmodified and untreated.  Yes.  I'm one of those.  I have a garden, I have a community supported agriculture memberships.  I buy meat and eggs from local farms.  and oh yeah, I have a sustainable fish share. 

So yeah, I didn't want crappy food in my body.  I'd made that choice a while back.  We were doing really well.

I also have extremely strong opinions about big ag, big pharma, and the FDA, the farm bill, etc. 

When I decided to lose weight, paleo was easy for me. 

• Like 3

I AM going the distance