GoodDoug: Enemy of the Corruptor Act 3 - This time, its personal

GoodDoug

The Ranger Guild Leader looked at GoodDoug. It had been rough, but he could see that the half-ogre was better off than he had found him weeks ago. It was a hard decision to keep the half-ogre back and focus on simple training, but it had been worth it. He now loked to have the strength and discipline needed to see this to the end, whatever end there was. 

The efforts of the guilds was showing, the influence of the corruptor was being pushed back here in the North, but reports were coming in of more insidious threats down south. The ranger guild leader would have to head down there to try and push that back as well. But he knew that GoodDoug was the key to ending the Corruptor.

"Follow your instincts, trace the source of the corruption in you to find the Corruptor. Then, do what you have to do."

"I intend to. And thank you for the time and training. I'll need all the discipline I can muster." GoodDoug shouldered his gear, then took out and inspected his shiny sword. It seemed so long ago that he had joined the Rangers, he hoped they would want him back after this mission was done.

GoodDoug headed off, he knew what he had to do.

==

I took last challenge off, I needed a break and knew that it would have been folly to try and do a 6 week program at that time. I think the break did me well. I know what I want to focus on... and focus is the key word here. Rather than try and do too much, I am going to focus on a couple of things I need to get better at.

Diet:

My diet didn't completely go to hell, but I have been allowing myself too many cheats. The holidays are never helpful, and I'm glad I was able to enjoy some of the treats, but it is time to knuckle down and do the right thing. I'm going full primal, aiming for 90% compliance most days. That means no grains or legumes. I also need to stop drinking so much sweetened coffee. That will be the hardest part. I will limit myself to only one cup per day of sweetened coffee. I can drink unsweetened... but only one can have my customary teaspoon of honey in it. Along with that I will do IF on days that I workout in the morning. That means not eating until after my morning workout on days I work out.

Compliance is 90% primal 6 days out of the week (80% allowed on the 7th day to account for going into work) and not eating breakfast until after workout on days I workout. I will also use the scale to measure this. I know, the scale is evil, yadda-yadda. But it works for me. I want to see a positive change on the scale, getting back under 200# and under 23% body fat consistently by the end. That is completely doable. Think of it as using a tool of the Corruptor to fight Corruption's influence.

Sta +2 Con +1 Wis +1 Cha +1

Discipline:

During my hiatus, I did the 28 day headstand challenge. Having one thing to focus on every day really helped. This challenge, I will do headstand practice every day as well as plank practice every day. That means every day, hardhat style. I will get a calendar and mark off every day I do both. I will never miss two days in a row and will do it whether I have time or not. (but really, it should take 5 minutes so there is no excuse)

Con +1 Wis +4 Dex +1

Maintenance:

Rather than focus on working out, I want to focus on habits and diet. So I will have a simple and doable workout goal for this challenge. I will run twice a week and lift once a week. If I do more, great! But I will not do less.

Str +2 Sta +2

Life goal:

Many of you may know that I am an avid gardener... well, I was and want to be again. Last year I let myself get distracted and my garden didn't happen they way I wanted it to. This year I am going to do it right. 

I will check my seedlings and garden daily. I will also get my old beds torn out and new ones in by the end of the challenge. Success will be determined by having new beds in and having the kale, lettuce, spinach and beets I started this past weekend in the ground and thriving by the end of the challenge.

Finally, I want to make sure that I keep up with all of my friends here in the Rebellion. I've gotten so much form all of you, I want to make sure I am giving back.

• Like 1

level 10 Half Ogre Ranger

Healers Brigade

1st  | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | 11th | 12th | 13th | 14th | 15th | 16th | 17th | 18th | 19th | 20th | 21st | 22nd | 23rd | 24th | 25th | 26th | 27th

Current

Yay you are back!   So glad to see the break did good things for you.  Gladder to see you are returned to us.    Keeping it simple and focused isn't a bad thing.   I was half tempted to do that myself this time around.

I'll be following you friend!

Level 75 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

sounds like you've got it pretty well figured out. good on ya!
i'm feelin' ya on the gardening thing, too. i never seem to do as much as i want to out in the yard... anyway, it's amazing how good for the soul it is to be in the dirt.  :)
keep us posted!

level 4 elf ranger
STR | 6    DEX | 5    STA | 6    CON | 4    WIS | 4    CHA | 8

Gardening is such a great goal! I've always wanted to learn how, as I think it's one of those things that's slowly dying in our culture. Plus, you never know when the Zombie Apocalypse will strike and it'll be a useful thing to know. 

Level 11 - World's Smallest Norn

Challenges: | Current |11 |10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 

Doug!! I missed you!

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Here's a quick update on the week... so far it looks like the week 3 slump has come early. I've done well on the planks and handstands, got the runs in, got the lifting on the docket for later... food... hmmm... diet...

I shouldn't expect to do well during #hackweek at work. Too much travel into the office and too many sweet treats. I did well where I could, but a good example is this morning. They had waffles (with whipped cream and nutella) and 10 different specialty donuts... I had to try one of each, right?

This weekend will be another one spent going to conferences and tournaments for the kids which means food will be interesting again. Rather than say, "I'll just do better starting Monday," I'm going to instead say, "I'm going to do as well now as I can" 

Glad to be back into a new Challenge. I have faith I will just keep getting better each week... right?

Tell me I'm going to do better.

Healers Brigade

1st  | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | 11th | 12th | 13th | 14th | 15th | 16th | 17th | 18th | 19th | 20th | 21st | 22nd | 23rd | 24th | 25th | 26th | 27th

Current

You'll do more better.      You've actually done well... I mean, geez buddy.  The first paragraph was all about the stuff you ARE on track with!     So food/diet is being a hiccup.   That's just one part of your agenda, and the rest of it is on task.    So take in the positive.

Food is so much the hardest part.   (Right now I am fighting with myself that I do not NEED some popcorn, because I am not hungry, nor will it solve anything.)    So so hard.   

But yeah, great way to say You'll do as well as you can right now, rather than scratch it off the list before it even starts.   You got this!

Level 75 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

Spoiler

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

^  this. food is SO HARD! i feel your pain there too, but we can improve! i know we can.  :) keep doing what you're doing with the stuff that's going well, remind yourself that you are actually doing well, and try to be better tomorrow than you were today with the things that aren't going so well.

level 4 elf ranger

What she said

(sent by the phone. .. all mistakes are the phones fault)

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Before I do my update, I figured I would do a recap of the story so far, a recap of acts 1 and 2.

GoodDoug is a Half-Ogre in the Ranger's Guild. A few months ago, there started to be an alarming increase in undead activity. GoodDoug was sent out to aid in keeping the threat down. He learned that the undead plague was spread by grains.
His first real test came when liberating a town from certain destruction by an undead horde. He discovered and had a hard fight against a new type of undead known as a Brute, stronger and smarter than the regular zombies and skeletons that they had been going against since then. He grabbed a magical hammer from the town and went hunting after the necromancer that had caused the attack on this town. He chased the necromancer to the large walled town of Cliffbridge and, with the help of heroes from his and other guilds, cornered and killed the necromancer, learning about the Corruptor and the fact that tCorruptor had plans for him. Before the necromancer died, the Corruptor used him to corrupt the hammer GoodDoug had been using.
Act 2 found our hero fighting his own corruption. The Corruptor, aided by another Necromancer named Shantrix, were working to bend the Half-ogre into a tool of the Corruptor. By the end, he had nearly succumbed, but with heroic effort, he dropped the hammer and saved himself. 
Now, he must confront the Corruptor while keeping himself pure.

Healers Brigade

Current

Discipline. GoodDoug thought on that word for a while. He had stopped to rest and finally had a moment to assess how things were going. As a half-ogre, discipline was difficult for him, not something that came easily.

He had started the week following his heart. He needed to get closer to the corruption inside of him without letting it overwhelm him. There were bound to be slip ups, he mused to himself, but he needed to be careful. He had been caught in despair and self anger before, and knew that it would only destroy him. Before he had left, he and the Ranger Guild Leader had agreed to stage an escape by Shantrix, the necromancer that had almost driven the Half-ogre to full corruption. It was a gamble, they knew that the Corruptor would send others after him if this one was incapacitated, and better the enemy you know than the one you don't. GoodDoug was learning to recognize the impulses planted by the necromancer. The beginning of the week had started well, he avoided eating the tainted grains and was moving ata good pace. Midway through the week, though, he found himself eating grains when he wasn't meaning to. "One little piece of bread won't hurt," turned into eating a whole loaf at one sitting. He knew he had a fight on his hands the next few weeks. It would take a combination of combatting the mind tricks of the necromancer with his own mind tricks along with plain old discipline. 

The grains made GoodDoug feel sluggish. He had to work even harder to keep pushing himself forward. He was hoping that cleaning up his diet would get his strength back up as well. 

GoodDoug saw a village not far ahead. He felt the familiar tickle of the necromancer trying to push him... she wanted him to go to the village. He figured she wanted to tempt him with proximity to the tainted grains. He hoped the village would provide more clues about what the Corruptor wanted of him and maybe some clues as to where to find the Corruptor. He shouldered his pack and trudged on.

Discpline. That was his watchword.

==

Diet:

OK, this sucked. I had to go into the office most days this week which meant access to lots of food that tastes great but was bad for me. The Corruptor was sorely tempting me and I mostly caved in to the temptation. In particular, on Friday it was end of Hackweek celebrations and they had 8 different kinds of donuts (I tried 6 of them) and fresh made waffles. I felt really yukky after that. I spent Saturday mostly fasting and was surprised at how much better I felt after that. Sunday and today I have been really good and have been 100% primal. I'm going to aim for 100% for this week. I'll reassess after this week to see how doable 100% is for me. I don't intend to keep up 100% but I think I can do better than 85% most of the time. It means I have to be very deliberate about eating... no more mindless eating, I need to beware the influence of the Corruptor's necromancer.

F for the week

Discipline:

Except for diet, my discipline was okay. I've done planks every day and missed two days for handstands (I was tired after a long day of work and commuting and just said, "Screw it") 

I didn't get a calendar, so oops. I will see what I can get this week for the rest of the challenge.

C for the week, I need to just do a couple of minutes of handstand every day and get a damned calendar to mark off days.

Maintenance:

Got back into running which felt good. Wanted one more run, but life ended up getting in the way. My strength has really taken a dive, which I'm really surprised about. I will need to see if it was just a bad week or if I need to start back over again. I feel good about this, but really, it's only maintaining what I've already been doing so that shouldn't be surprising.

A for the week.

Gardening:

Beds are torn out, first flat of seedlings started and I've been checking on them every day. Almost time to up-pot the tiny ones. I hope I can do that tomorrow. I have started beets, spinach, kale and lots of lettuce. Once these get a little further, I need to start carrots, celery and broccoli. I'm excited by this, I am loving getting back into gardening full swing.

Next week will be better (it already is) and I hope I can ease into a good rhythm. 

For the Rebellion!

• Like 1

Healers Brigade

Current

yay! The Corruptor holds no sway over you except what you give him! very glad to hear this week is going well. keep it up!
love this story, by the way. i have such a soft spot for RPGs.

level 4 elf ranger

This week is starting out well. I managed to go full Primal even while at work. Avoided the bagels in the morning (just did lox, hardboiled eggs, cucumbers and capers) and avoided the coffee with honey that I usually subsist on while at work. Felt good to do that and didn't feel like I was missing out. 

Did my weight workout (squats, bench press, lunges and arm stuff) today and also got in my plank and handstand practice. Though handstand practice was difficult after arms workout... yeeerrrrgggh.

The garden starts are doing well, and I'll have to  up-pot quite a few tomorrow... after I go running. Still need to find a good calendar to use that I can have in front of me.

Overall, starting this week better than last week.

• Like 2

Healers Brigade

Current

Fantastic work this week Doug!

I am going to hang on to your coattails (Promise to not cause too much drag) until I can get pulled back up on my feet and follow in your path.

Level 75 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

Spoiler

So far, so good. Doing really well with food. Got my weight workout in and just got back from my second run this week - not at my best time, but pretty darned close. I got my seedlings up-potted on Wednesday and I've just taken them out to get some of this California sunshine.

I've been thinking about temptation lately. There are two avenues to not succumbing, avoiding temptation and resisting temptation. You need to do a little of both, but avoiding temptation sets you up for success while resisting temptation is really about avoiding failure. I think I want to write a bit more on that topic, but I need to think about it. Look at temptation as the Dark Side of the Force. It is powerful, and once you are confronted with it takes all of your strength to resist. But, if you can keep away from that, confront it on your terms and when you are ready, that makes all the difference.

• Like 1

Healers Brigade

Current

Huh!    Pretty profound stuff there on temptation.   I am anxious to hear you delve deeper into that.    I had a pretty rough time with it just yesterday.   Had to resist at lunch, resist at dinner choice (what restaurant), resist potato and go for double veggies instead, resist the perfect bread, resist the Cadbury Egg someone bought for me, then resist the cookie they had at the gaming table for me.     After twelve hours of resisting, and managing to pawn of 2 of the 3 cookies that were brought... and after forcing down two bell peppers with hummus as a means of placating the temptation, I finally just said "THIS IS NUTS, I WANT THE COOKIE!"     After resisting so much OTHER stuff, I had gone from feeling strong and awesome about my successes, to ... like the straw that broke the camel's back, suddenly feeling terribly terribly deprived.    I told myself I could have the cookie.  

Had I mixed the day with a bit of avoiding temptation, instead of non stop resisting it... I may not have reached the angry point of deprivation.

So yeah, definitely a good point you've hit on here.

Level 75 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

Spoiler

I am interested as well in hearing your thoughts on resisting/avoiding temptations.  I agree with Star, I will resist until I just feel overwhelmed and say F it and cave.  Then it all goes downhill.  Feelings of failure then seem to make the resistance that much harder and I get in to the "oh well its too late now mode."

GoodDoug was fighting for his sanity. He could feel the despair creeping up on him, mostly because he knew he had gotten himself in too deep. He and the other townsfolk had barricaded themselves in the last defensible structure in a vain attempt to hold back the undead horde that had descended upon them. He had sent a runner to find other guild members to help, but had little hope help would make it in time.

It had started simply enough. He had come upon the town, and, as he had expected, the trap for him had been sprung. The undead attacked the townsfolk, leaving him alone. He did what he could to save whom he could. But with every person turned grey, the survivors looked at him askance. They had a feeling the attack was brought on by his presence. And helped by the mental magics of Shantrix the necromancer, wouldn't trust him for anything. Still he fought on, certain he could bring the Corruptor's plan out in the open if he could just resist long enough.

The clamoring undead wouldn't let him rest, and the foods available were mostly tainted grains. His iron discipline was beginning to wear thin. He had charged in, confident that knowledge of the temptations would be enough to allow him to resist them. Turns out he was wrong, or was going to be wrong. He could feel the doubt gnawing at him, his discipline wavering. He couldn't hold up to this continual assault, something would slip.

Stubbornness took hold, if he was going down, he'd go down fighting. 

"They're breaking through the door," one of the elder townsfolk wailed, "this is the end!"

GoodDoug looked them over, there were still a good number left, many armed. "As soon as they break through, I'm going to charge out. The rest of you stay here, if I can lead them off I will... but you'll need to continue to defend the opening as best you can."

The townsfolk looked at him, they still didn't know what to make of this Half Ogre with the Ranger Guild badge. 

The door started to crack, GoodDoug drew his shiny sword and waited. Some undead arms poked through, looking for a way to get through to the living inside. GoodDoug saw the door open as if it was in slow motion. He leapt forward and used the momentum to push him through the undead thronging around the now open door. Zombies were thrown from the rush, but got up quickly. Many focussed on the half ogre, but some still went for the door. GoodDoug took a moment to assess and decided to stand his ground. He fought for what seemed a lifetime, exhausted, he swung one last sweep of his sword before blacking out... the last thing he heard was cheering. He assumed it was the Necromancer celebrating.

GoodDoug opened his eyes to see two guild members looking down on him. His entire being ached, but he was whole and so far uncorrupted. He struggled to sit up.

"Lie down," said the person wearing the Druid's Guild badge. Save your strength."

GoodDoug ignored him and sat up. "What happened? Are there any survivors?"

The one with the Assassin's Guild badge clapped him on the shoulder, "Thanks to you, they are all fine. We showed up just before they broke into the Inn you were all holed up in. We had quite the fight to get to you... we got to you just as you fell." 

The Druid looked straight into GoodDoug's eyes, "You took out almost all of the undead yourself. And when you fell, most of the fight left the zombies as well. There is bad magic in this area, I've erected wards to redirect most of it away."

GoodDoug thought about it. Those undead were here specifically to weaken him. Had this Druid not been here, likely the Corruptor would have had access to him in a severely weakened state. "Thank you for what you've done."

The other guild members let him rest while they helped the surviving townsfolk find food, water and shelter. When GoodDoug finally stood up and stretched, the Assassin motioned for him to join them where they were sitting. GoodDoug told them the whole story. How he had followed the signals here, hoping to get a glimpse at what the Corruptor was planning. How he had become weak and how his discipline had finally failed him.

The Druid looked at him closely, "I think you misunderstand the strength of discipline. Does the stone mason move a full mountain all at once? Does an assassin kill an entire thousand man army? No."

The assassin chimed in, her voice surprisingly hard, "To be honest, you showed great discipline... except for when it counted, at the beginning. You allowed your enemies to attack you from a position of strength. You can't rush in and expect your iron will to dominate the world. The best use of your discipline is before you need it, to avoid situations where it will be tested."

GoodDoug listened intently, these two might be teaching him the key to defeating the Corruptor. The Druid carried on, "Your will must be like an assassin's blade. It finds the precise point to thrust to maximize it's effect. How does an assassin defeat an army? With a few well placed blade thrusts. Use our discipline to avoid temptation, not to resist it."

The assassin merely nodded, she was waiting for GoodDoug to get it. "I need to operate from a position of strength, rather than meet the enemy on their terms... Rather than run off to where they are leading me, I need to take my own path, a path of strength. I need to not look for the quick and easy win, but do now what will set me up for success later."

The assassin looked satisfied, "Use the proddings of this Necromancer to guide you, but don't blindly follow."

The druid looked pensive again, "You said you hoped to learn the plan of the Corruptor, did you learn it?"

"Yes, the Corruptor's goal is to weaken me to where I can be corrupted as a tool. The Corruptor fears me and somehow needs me."

GoodDoug thanked the two, they had given him the weapon he needed, his strength.

== 

Diet:

So much better this week. I may have gone overboard, but I needed it. I was 100% primal for the week, avoiding temptation (keeping away from naughty treats) and resisting temptation (not giving in when those treats appeared anyways). I used my discipline to avoid temptations so I didn't have to tax it by resisting. And those times I had to resist were easier because I hadn't used up all of my Willpower points earlier. A for the week, baby!

Discipline:

Erry day! I did handstand practice and planks every day without fail. I am using the Lift app to track and that seems to be helping. A for discipline this week.

Maintenance:

I lifted (squatty-squat-squat!) one day and ran three days this week. I feel good about what I did here this week so I get an A.

Gardening:

Seedlings are doing well, I've been taking them outside in the morning to enjoy the California sun and back in at night to protect from frost. They are doing really well. I still need to make garden beds, my first thoght on those is going to be too expensive to do now, so I'm planning something different... cinder blocks. That should be cheaper by a third and should even last longer. Won't look as nice, but maybe I can do something cool with that.

This weekend my daughter has another tournament. If she wins on Saturday, we have to stay up there and play on Sunday for the championship. I want her to win, but I want to come home, too. It will be tough on the diet, but I need to plan ahead for that.

• Like 1

Healers Brigade

Current

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines