The Roaring Twenties: One Flapper's Fitness Party

The Roaring Twenties: a time of cultural change, art, music, and parties.  My twenties weren't nearly so glamorous, but I was a student for a long time. Approaching the big 3-0, I'd like to get my fitness on track and take responsibility for my health, before I end up "crashing" down into a spiral of bad habits.

My 29th birthday is 5 weeks away (Eek!!!), meaning this is the last year of my twenties. This has lit a fire under my caboose to get myself together before my 20's are gone forever.

I'm hoping this challenge will kick-start some good habits that I can build on. I've tried and failed before, but I'm not deterred, especially if I can find some like-minded people to connect with for support.  Anyone care to join this flapper's fitness party?

Main Quest

My ultimate goal is to lose about 30 pounds.  In the next few weeks, I'd love to lose 10 pounds. I'd be happy with 5.

I want to feel better, to have more energy, to be stronger in my core, and to go on longer hikes.

Specific goals

I find weight loss difficult (don't we all?). The times I have been successful are when I axe the gym and just get active doing what I enjoy. Hence, my goals will be related to what I consider fun. It's a flapper girl's fitness party!

1) Dance more - My husband and I swing dance 1 hour each week (with a local club), but I'd like to practice outside of class to improve our skill and fitness.

2) Get outside - I love nature, but often don't get outside often enough in the winter. I'd like to hike, birdwatch, or just get outside for 1 hour each week.

3) Meal plan - I used to be really good at this, but fell off the wagon during some stressful times. I'd like to meal plan so that I can pack a lunch and eat home-cooked suppers.

Life Side Quest

READ

I've got a list of over 50 books I want to read. I'd like to get through at least 20 of them this year. For the purposes of this 6-week challenge, I'd like to read 2 hours every week.

Declaration of Motivation 

"I do not try to dance better than anyone else. I only try to dance better than myself." - Baryshnikov

Grading Scheme 

Main Quest

1) Dance more (1 hour class, plus practice at home)

A = 2 hours or more / week

B = 1.5 to 2 hours / week

C = 1 to 1.5 hours / week

D = 1 hour / week

F = < 1 hour / week

2) Get outside (1 hour each week)

A = went every week

B = missed one week

C = missed 2 weeks

D = missed 3 weeks

F = missed more than 3 weeks

3) Meal plan (lunches and suppers)

A = ate out 4 times (or fewer)

B = ate out 5 times

C = ate out 6 times

D = ate out 7 times

F = ate out more than 7 times

Side Quest

- Read 2 hours every week

A = read 2 hours / week

B = read 1.5 hours / week

C = read 1 hour / week

D = read < 1 hour / week

F = did not read

Starting Stats

Weight: 193 lbs

Chest: 41.5"

Waist 33.75"

Hips 42"

---

"I want her to be a flapper, because flappers are brave and gay and beautiful." - Zelda Fitzgerald

• Like 2

Fultonator
Human Assassin

Level 5

STR 5  |  DEX 6  |  STA 7  |  CON 6  |  WIS 12  |  CHA 5

Current Challenge

Past Challenges:  #1   #2   #3   #4   #5   #6   #7  #8

"I do not try to dance better than anyone else. I only try to dance better than myself." - Mikhail Baryshnikov

Posted this topic a day late, but I did start keeping track yesterday in prep for this challenge. I'd like to try to post daily updates on my progress to keep the momentum going. 

Day 1 Report:

1) Normally our swing dance class is on Monday nights, but there was no class this week. We are still waiting to hear when classes will resume this term. So basically, I'm already 1 hour behind on my 2 hour dancing goal! My plan is to make up the time this Wednesday, since both my husband and I are free on Wednesday nights.

2) Went for a 30+ minute walk. It was cold but invigorating.

3) Meal planning success... Had some lovely chicken pullao (leftovers) for lunch and make porkchops with peas and onions and potatoes for supper. Also had some beets. Minor success was I ate about 1/2 the amount of potatoes I normally would and ate about twice the amount of peas.

Day 1 was a success.

Are you also doing a challenge? Let me know so I can follow your posts and so we can be super cool internet friends.

Fultonator
Human Assassin

Level 5

Current Challenge

"I do not try to dance better than anyone else. I only try to dance better than myself." - Mikhail Baryshnikov

Sounds like you have a well thought out challenge and off to a good start so far...I wouldn't worry about being an hour behind on the first day.  Like you said you have time on Wed to practice at home and the rest of the week to make it up.

What books do you have on your reading list?

Keep up the good work!

Ian Fin 8 - Lvl 1 Slow Mutant Rebel

Current Challenge - Attempting the Dark Tower: Part 1
Accountabilibuddies - Browncoats

"I'm an important person you see. I have a tower."  Valentine - "MirrorMask"

Love this challenge!  I wish I could get my husband to do dance lessons with me.  I have a Google doc spreadsheet I use for my meal planning.  Maybe you will find it helpful?  Feel free to save your own copy to tweak to your needs!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Apx3gNYJxeQ1dG9fOXoxakN0UDVjcFZFN1VMTVJrcWc&usp=drive_web#gid=53

Crystal Gem Druid || Stat-free Level-free Goodness

"I won't run away anymore... I won't go back on my word... that is my ninja way!" Uzumaki Naruto

"You're pro or you're a noob. It's so easy, that's life."  Athene, Best Paladin in the World

"Do what the fuck you want to." Panic Station, Muse

I love your goals! I try to do a lot of meal planning as well, but it's always harder when work and other stress hits. It's one of the things I'm working on too, especially to incorporate more whole foods, fruits and veggies. Good luck to you on your challenge!

Sunnyful - Level 2 Hobbit Druid

STR 1 | DEX 2 | STA 2 | CON 2 | WIS 2 | CHA 1

Current Challenge: #2, #1

I'm a swing dancer too!!!  It's a great way to stay active and also to meet lots of people and travel. 

Current Challenge: 

Past challenges: 2014 Jan 2015 April 2015

Level 2 Human Adventurer 

STR 2|DEX 2|STA 2|CON 2|WIS 3|CHA 2

“There is only one way to learn. It’s through action. Everything you need to know you have learned through your journey.† ~The AlchemistPaulo Coelho

What books do you have on your reading list?

I've got well over 50 on my reading list. I'm currently reading Cannery Row by John Steinbeck. My list includes some Dashiell Hammett, E.M Forster, Virginia Woolf, and Ernest Hemingway. I've also got a bunch of Young Adult Fiction... my guilty pleasure.

Fultonator
Human Assassin

Level 5

Current Challenge

I'm a swing dancer too!!!  It's a great way to stay active and also to meet lots of people and travel. 

It's seriously the best workout I get because I'm having so much fun I can do it for a pretty long time. We've met a lot of new people through our swing dance club. Haven't done any swing-related traveling, but we'd love to go to one of those big workshops. They look like so much fun!

Fultonator
Human Assassin

Level 5

Current Challenge

Love this challenge!  I wish I could get my husband to do dance lessons with me.  I have a Google doc spreadsheet I use for my meal planning.  Maybe you will find it helpful?  Feel free to save your own copy to tweak to your needs!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Apx3gNYJxeQ1dG9fOXoxakN0UDVjcFZFN1VMTVJrcWc&usp=drive_web#gid=53

Thanks for the link!

Fultonator
Human Assassin

Level 5

Current Challenge

I love your goals! I try to do a lot of meal planning as well, but it's always harder when work and other stress hits. It's one of the things I'm working on too, especially to incorporate more whole foods, fruits and veggies. Good luck to you on your challenge!

First week has been planned, so let's hope this keeps up!

Fultonator
Human Assassin

Level 5

Current Challenge

Day 2 Report:

1) No swing dancing today, but hoping to practice some moves tomorrow night. Hopefully I'll get an hour of dancing in.

2) Today was -30 with the windchill so I stayed in. It's supposed to be really cold all week according to the weather forecast, so I don't know what I'm going to do about getting outside. It might not be a possibility with the windchill. We've also had a lot of freezing rain, so the sidewalks are quite treacherous I might end up going to the indoor track (yuck!) just so I can still get some walking or light jogging in. Didn't have time for that today, but I'm going to look over my schedule tomorrow and see when I might be able to fit in an hour at the gym this week.

3) Meal planning is going well. Had some leftover pullao for lunch. Our supper was a "light" version of chicken alfredo (433 calories for a pretty generous portion). Instead of cream, it uses milk and a couple tablespoons of light cream cheese. Not as yummy as the full-fat version, of course, but it was actually really good. I'd make it again. 

All in all another successful day, although I wish I could have gotten outside!

Fultonator
Human Assassin

Level 5

Current Challenge

Great goals and challenge, and recognizing that you need to pursue fitness through fun (and not the elliptical at the gym! :-))

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Merganser: Level 4 Anatidae Scout

STR 4 | DEX 5 | STA 5 | CON 7 | WIS 6 | CHA 2

Intro | Current Challenge: Train for Spain!

Challenge 6: Back on Track...and Then Off Again | Challenge 5b: First-World ProblemsChallenge 5a: Make a Map | 

Challenge 4: Fly! (On a Bike!) | Challenge 3: Run!..(At All!) | Challenge 2: Stretch! | Challenge 1: Swim Faster! |

My Fitness Pal

"She was a woman who had wandered almost by accident into a life she had not quite intended for herself..." --Lawrence Osborne

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird 

of the family Anatidae on our hands." --Douglas Adams

Very smart move on giving the axe to activities you don't like. So many people will try to force themselves to do things they hate in the name of fitness, and then give up almost as soon as they started. +1 to self-awareness!

Keep on keeping on, and stay warm!  :rapture:

Half-Orc | Adventurer

[LV 2 | STR 2 | DEX 1 | STA 3 | CON 3 | WIS 3 | CHA 2]

I'll join your fitness party!

Love the focus on the things you enjoy, and as an outdoor educator, I especially love the "getting outside" goal. Tough break on the weather this week, hopefully it warms up a bit so you can get some hiking or birdwatching in soon. This is an amazing time of year for birding where I live. The end of the winter salmon run brings thousands of bald eagles to the river valley I am currently calling home, and further down valley is a popular stopping ground for migratory birds including swans and snow geese. If you could make it outside, what birdwatching opportunities are near you? Also, have you heard of yaktrax? I just got a pair for Christmas this year, they are like tire chains for your shoes. Slip 'em on over your boots and they give you great traction on snow and ice. I've seen them for around $20. 

Keep up the good work on the meal planning, the chicken alfredo sounds bomb!

• Like 1

RedCedar uses the pronouns they/them/theirs. What pronouns do you prefer? 

Here is a fun game to help learn/practice pronouns that might be new to you: http://minus18.org.au/pronouns-app/

Last Challenge

Favorite Challenge

I said to the sun, "tell me about the Big Bang".

The sun said, "It hurts to become." 
~A.G. 

Very smart move on giving the axe to activities you don't like. 

I can force myself to go running. And I can get in great shape doing it, too. But I fall off the wagon so easy because I hate running! We've been dancing regularly for 2 years now and I still look forward to it, so I figure I might as well put my energy into something I like!

• Like 1

Fultonator
Human Assassin

Level 5

Current Challenge

I'll join your fitness party!

Love the focus on the things you enjoy, and as an outdoor educator, I especially love the "getting outside" goal. Tough break on the weather this week, hopefully it warms up a bit so you can get some hiking or birdwatching in soon. This is an amazing time of year for birding where I live. The end of the winter salmon run brings thousands of bald eagles to the river valley I am currently calling home, and further down valley is a popular stopping ground for migratory birds including swans and snow geese. If you could make it outside, what birdwatching opportunities are near you? Also, have you heard of yaktrax? I just got a pair for Christmas this year, they are like tire chains for your shoes. Slip 'em on over your boots and they give you great traction on snow and ice. I've seen them for around $20. 

Keep up the good work on the meal planning, the chicken alfredo sounds bomb!

Weather is still rough! At this moment I'm making a list of indoor activity substitutes to use in case of emergency (i.e. days I can't get out) because I've been missing all my exercise time thus far! Boo!

I'm a beginner birder, but I really like. I was supposed to take part in the Christmas Bird Count this past December, but there was a HUGE storm and I literally could not leave my house. So far, all of my birding experience has been spring through fall. I've never ventured out for winter birding yet, and I'm excited to see what's around! I'm on the east coast of Canada and we got absolutely pommeled with snow and freezing rain this December.... lots of power outages and days where you just couldn't leave home. There has been a snowy owl (very rare siting around here) hanging out about a 30 minute drive from my city (I'm, subscribed to a local nature listserv that reports that kind of stuff!), so I want to try to see it! Sorry for the ramble... I'm excited to meet another birder :)

I haven't heard of yaktrax. Thanks for the tip! I'll look into it. It's been so icy lately and I have a pretty big fear of falling, so this sounds great!

Fultonator
Human Assassin

Level 5

Current Challenge

Day 3 Report (better late than never!):

Day 3 wasn't the most successful day, unfortunately, so I'm determined to make Day 4 better!

1) I had planned to practice dance with my husband but he came down with the cold/flu so I wasn't able to. I'm disappointed. It's nearing the end of the week, so I think I'm just going to substitute the dance practice with something else... still thinking what that could be, but I'd like to play a bit of catch-up during the next couple of days. I miss the work-out endorphines!!!

2) Another cold, icy day a couldn't go out! Right now I'm on my coffee break at work and I'm writing down a list of indoor activities I can substitute on cold days, as the forecast says it will be staying really cold until the weekend. If worse comes to worse, I might just walk the stairwell of my building a few times tonight!

3) Plus side: meal planning is going really well! Made some veggie fajitas last night and didn't over eat (although I think I went a bit heavy on the guacamole!). I'm supposed to make a crockpot soup today, but we have SO many leftovers in the fridge from all the cooking I've been doing every night, that I think tonight is going to be a leftovers night, and I'll save the soup for tomorrow. :)

Just realized I haven't been reporting on my reading side quest:

I haven't been keeping a strict record of my reading, but I have been reading in 15 minute spurts before bed all week, so I'm probably around the 1 hour mark for reading. That leaves one more hour, which should be easily accomplished during Saturday. I'm currently reading Cannery Row by John Steinbeck.

Fultonator
Human Assassin

Level 5

Current Challenge

Day 4 Report

1) Dancing just hasn't been in the cards for me yet. Our swing dance club still hasn't sent out any updates on when classes are coming back :( Hoping to do some dancing this weekend at least!

2) Another cold day means another day indoors. I did make a list of substitute activities, so this evening I did about 20 minutes of (complete beginner) yoga: just a short instructional video I found on youtube. Not really much of a workout at this point, but was probably good to stretch out my muscles after been hunched over a computer all day. I did try to go for a walk during lunch but gave up after about 5 minutes. The windchill was just too much.

3) Had leftover veggie fajitas tonight. I'm very pleased with how suppers (and lunches) have been going this week. A little planning goes a long way. Tomorrow I'll be meal planning for the weekend.

Side quest:

It's currently 9:30pm so I think I'll get ready for bed (dang that yoga's relaxing!) and get some serious reading done.

Fultonator
Human Assassin

Level 5

Current Challenge

If you're looking for some good indoor exercises, I'd recommend taking a look at the Beginner Body Weight Workout. Not as fun as dancing, that's for sure, but it would definitely go a long way towards making sure you get some exercise in on those days when it's just too cold to go outside.

Hope this helps! :)

• Like 1

Half-Orc | Adventurer

If you're looking for some good indoor exercises, I'd recommend taking a look at the Beginner Body Weight Workout. Not as fun as dancing, that's for sure, but it would definitely go a long way towards making sure you get some exercise in on those days when it's just too cold to go outside.

Hope this helps! :)

It's on my list!

Fultonator
Human Assassin

Level 5

Current Challenge

Day 5 Report:

Long, awful day. TGIF

Good news is stayed on track in terms of eating. Still cooked my supper (crockpot soup). Bad news is no exercise. It's about 11pm right now and I'm going to hit the hay so I can hit refresh and start tomorrow. I found a really nice morning yoga routine that I plan to do tomorrow. Hopefully will fit some hiking in. Good night!

Fultonator
Human Assassin

Level 5

Current Challenge

Heya. I've just found your thread and i can totally understand where you're coming from. I'm going to be 30 in November and I'd love to start my thirties in better shape than my 20s. I wish my husband would come dancing with me. We've talked about it a few times but between shift work and the kids it's pretty hard getting to a class. I'll have to keep it on the to do list.

Each day is a new day.  Don't dwell on mistakes or stress about what's to come.  Just breathe and be present.

Wannabe Druid/Assassin

Level 1 - STR: 2 | DEX: 0 | STA: 2 | CON:  | WIS: 4 | CHA: 2

Embarking on my first challenge - the first step to a happier, healthier me!

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/41830-rossimelons-is-starting-fresh-and-moving-on-up/

My girlfriend told me about an xbox dance workout she tried today and had a lot of fun with. It's probably not swing dancing, but maybe something like that could be a fun indoor alternative. 

RedCedar uses the pronouns they/them/theirs. What pronouns do you prefer? 

Here is a fun game to help learn/practice pronouns that might be new to you: http://minus18.org.au/pronouns-app/

Last Challenge

Favorite Challenge

I said to the sun, "tell me about the Big Bang".

The sun said, "It hurts to become." 
~A.G. 

My girlfriend told me about an xbox dance workout she tried today and had a lot of fun with. It's probably not swing dancing, but maybe something like that could be a fun indoor alternative. 

I can vouch for Dance Central on the XBox as well. It's a lot of fun, and once you get past the beginner difficulty levels, it really does give you some great cardio.

Half-Orc | Adventurer

I wish we had dance dance or something... my husband's brother used to have that game and I'd work to a sweat playing that game! Dancing was a big fat failure so far, but I'm not discouraged at all, Husband was sick, dance class hasn't started yet... meh, things happen. I learned a big lesson in terms of having a plan B! Now at list I have a back-up activity list :P

Fultonator
Human Assassin

Level 5

Current Challenge

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines