TrevorTQH - Battle Logs

[You can also follow along at my blog here.]

2014 Challenge #1

My name is Trevor.  And I'm a bear.  A big, hairy bear.

Actually, a big, rather unfit, hairy bear.  And that's gotta change.

Don't get me wrong, I find fierce joy in my big, hairy bearishness.  But the rather unfit part is keeping me from doing the things I want to do.  And that's frustrating.

But frustration, carefully focused, can drive change.  And so here I am.

Main Quest:

Become fit enough to take my pup hiking and camping this summer.

Yngvi, my handsome and super smart German Shepherd Dog, turns one on 26 January.  This means that by summer he'll be old enough to take hiking and camping without risking damage to growing bones and muscles.  Thing is, I can barely walk a couple of blocks without becoming winded and having my back hurt.  Not going to hike very far that way!

Goals:

[sTR] Beginner bodyweight training, 3x weekly

[DEX] Yoga, 2x weekly

[sTA] Walking, 15 minutes, 4x daily

[CON] Adopt paleo diet (Asprey IF variant), 3200 kcal/day

Side Quests:

Life: Clean out the garage, get rid of what I don't need, and re-pack for storage what I need to keep.

My Motivation:

Yngvi at 10 mos

Starting Stats:

General:

Weight:  382.7 lbs (BodPod, 12/31)

Body Fat:  44.0% (BodPod, 12/31)

BMI:  49.0 (WellnessFX, 12/31)

Body:

Neck:  20.4 in. (1/6)

Chest:  58.9 in. (1/6)

Waist:  60.2 in. (1/6)

Hips:  50 in. (1/6)

L Bicep:  14.6 in. (1/6)

L Forearm:  12 in. (1/6)

L Thigh:  27.5 in. (1/6)

L Calf:  20.4 in. (1/6)

(These metrics will be tracked over the course of the challenge to help quantify the impact of the lifestyle changes listed above (Goals).  They are not for determining if the goals were met.)

Starting Pics:

Updates:

1/4:  Goals are finalized.  I am now registered for a 6 class introductory course at Fat Yoga, a local studio that specializes in adapting yoga for various body types, starting Monday!  I'm not too keen on their general "acceptance" philosophy - I'm here to change, not accept! - but as long as I keep my mouth shut it should be a positive experience.  My LMT friend Leanna is excited I'm starting yoga, and thinks that it will really help with the hip and back issues.

1/4 part two:  Alright, cupboards and fridge have been completely emptied of all sugars, grains, legumes, starches, bad oils, dairy (except for Kerrygold!), and processed foods.  In their place are plenty of meat and veggies, all high quality and nutrient rich.  It was "WTF!" expensive, but I'm worth it.  In fact, the back pain and exhaustion I'm feeling right now from doing all of that drives the point home:  I am horribly unfit, and I'm doing something about it.

1/6:  Updated measurements and added photo.  Realized I had ten paid-for-but-unused 1:1 personal training sessions available with my physical therapist, so I scheduled workouts for Wednesday & Friday.  This will mean I only workout twice this week - my routine will be W, F, Su - but given that the workout will be more intensive than if I did it myself, I think that's an acceptable deviation from the [sTR] goal.

1/8:  Dropped the [sTA] goal to 4x daily.  The original goal of 7x daily was way too much.

Trevor, the Quantified Heathen

Race: Man-Bear | Class: Heathen

Level: 2 | STR: 2 | DEX: 2 | STA: 1.75 | CON: 3 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 2

Current Challenge | Previous Challenge

Battle Log:  NF or blog

Today was the first day of the challenge, and it didn't go as well as I would have liked.

The good:

• Bulletproof coffee rocks!
  • I remembered that I have 10 paid-for-but-unused 1:1 personal training sessions with my physical therapist.  Going twice a week initially will really help with the strength training.
  • My first day of yoga!
  • I got some cooking done, which means plenty of leftovers for the rest of the week.

The bad:

• I had a hard time remembering to head out for a walk.  Only made it three times out of the planned seven.  I need to set up reminders until this gets to be habitual.
  • I can only walk about six minutes or so before I have to stop and let my back relax.  I rest for three minutes, and then head back.  The strength training and yoga should help this relatively soon by increasing core strength.
  • Calories in was 2190, 1059 short of my 3249 daily calorie goal ("Low Active" BMR).  Given my short feeding window (8 hours), I need to plan better.  Leveraging left overs will help with this.
  • I easily stayed around the low (50g) carb range, but my other macro-nutrient ratios were off, even by Paleo standards:  10% carbs, 71% fat, 19% protein.  I need to find some lean forms of protein to supplement my food.  Desired ratio is around 10:50:40.

Making lifestyle changes like this takes more than willpower.  It also takes planning and vigilance - both qualities I need to work on.

Good job on the clean out, restocking and getting started! None of us got the way we are overnight and won't get fixed overnight.

Way to go taking those first steps!

I'm right here with you battling those habits. Stay strong!

Sweat dries, blood clots, bones heal...suck it up princess and move your ass!

I'm calling today a "learning day".

• Only walked four out of seven.  It started raining this afternoon and has continued on through the evening.  Frankly, after the fourth walk, I was tired of being cold and wet, not to mention dealing with a wet dog.  However, this is what living in Oregon is all about, so I'll need to deal with it.  And I should probably buy a raincoat for the pup.
  • Went over my calorie target for the day by 462 calories.  Since I was a thousand and change short yesterday, it's covered.  However, I need to stop eating when I'm full, and not keep going just 'cause it tastes so good!  Also, no snacking just before dinner - it will fill you up and put you in that very position.
  • Carrots are an excellent snack.  However, on a low carb diet, you gotta be careful as those carbs will add up fast.  My carb intake today was 141g, almost three times the 50g target.  And half of that was carrots.  I should probably switch it up with salad, which has a much lower carb content.

So yes, a learning day.

Tomorrow is strength training and yoga.  Let's see how that plays out!

Today was a much, much better:

• First day of strength training.  Plan is to work with my trainer three days a week through this month, and then drop to one day a week when I go back to work in February. We're doing routines that don't require special equipment other than dumbbells and cables.  This will allow me to work out at home on the two days I'll lose during the week.
  • Dropped the [sTA] goal to 4x daily.  The original goal of 7x daily was way too much.
  • Went to yoga today.  It's proving to be a real workout.  My back hates it with a passion, but between the yoga and the strength training, I'm hoping that problem will resolve itself soon.
  • Diet was good:  came in 486 calories under goal, carbs were in the right range (~50g), and the CFP ratio was a decent 9:65:26.

A good day!

Today was another good day, though I was 15g over my daily carb goal.  I didn't realize how many carbs were in nuts, and I was using a nut-based seasoning - dukkah - in this evening's meal.  That took me over the edge.

• Made all four walks today.  For the first two and the last I was able to go farther before I had to stop and rest my back.
  • Calories came in 783 under, with a CFP ratio of 11:62:27.  Slowly but surely I'm inching that protein ratio up!
  • Primary proteins today were albacore, 100% grass fed ground beef, grain finished roast beef, and whey isolate.

Slept in today, waking up just in time to head off for my strength training appointment.  As a result I missed my morning walk.  Also, I missed my evening walk due to an LMT appointment.

All said:

• Two walks today, one on the treadmill at my personal trainer's gym
  • I came in 1231 calories under my target.  Carbs were at 44g, with my CFP ratio at 9:67:24.  Protein sources were whey isolate, eggs, ham, beef roast, and albacore.
  • Strength training went well.

My LMT friend Leanne came by for my weekly massage.  Focus was on my hip and back, and then general relaxation.  I'm definitely responding to all of the various forms of bodywork, as my hip and back pain have decreased significantly over the week.  Also my joints don't hurt as much - I wonder how much of that is also due to dropping grains, etc. from my diet?

My friend Alex called and wanted a ride to Ikea to look at shelving.  On the way we stopped at the Hawthorne district and did some shopping there.  All told, I got about 45 minutes of my day's walking done in about an hour and a half, and that's a conservative estimation.  Much more fun that walking around the block!

• Walking done!
  • Calorie consumption was about 733 under goal.  Carbs were high again at 86g - 16g of that was from a kombucha, another ten from some blueberries after dinner, plus 12g from whey protein drink.  It adds up fast!  CFP ratio:  14:58:28.
  • 172g protein, from whey isolate, chicken thighs, ground 100% grass fed beef, and homemade beef bone broth.

One more day and the first week of this challenge will be over!

It's the end of week #1!

• Took care of the first two walks of the day via shopping, but then pretty much stayed in and didn't get the final two done.  So that's two of four.
  • Calories were 956 under goal, with carbs a bit over at 63g.
  • CFP ratio was 12:59:29.  Eating deli chicken breast from New Seasons for lunch, plus a can of albacore at midday really helped keep the protein level up at 156g.
  • Protein sources:  said chicken breast plus canned albacore, plus whey isolate, ground pork, and bacon!

I'll post a weekly review tomorrow.

Looking real great bear!

Thanks!  Lost roughly ten pounds this week!  Really enjoying how the strength training and yoga make me feel, plus the paleo food choices keeps things satisfying.  The hardest things to deal with are making sure I get out and walk four times a day, even when it's cold and wet outside, and not letting myself get too hungry before a meal and thus risk binge behavior.

Score for week #1:  32/40, 80%, C+ (2.7 grade points)

To review, here are the four goals for this challenge:

• [sTR] Beginner bodyweight training, 3x weekly
  • [DEX] Yoga, 2x weekly
  • [sTA] Walking, 15 minutes, 4x daily
  • [CON] Adopt paleo diet (Asprey IF variant), 3200 kcal/day

Let's take each one separately:

[sTR] Beginner bodyweight training, 3x weekly:  2/3

I was unable to get an appointment with my trainer that first Monday, so training started on Wednesday and continued Friday.  That's two out of three points.

[DEX] Yoga, 2x weekly:  2/2

Yoga on Monday and Wednesday.  Two out of two.

[sTA] Walking, 15 minutes, 4x daily:  22/28

Making sure I walk 4x daily is actually harder than one would think.  It's rather easy to get absorbed in some task and not realize that hours have gone by.  I'll need to pay attention to this goal moving forward.

[CON] Adopt paleo diet (Asprey IF variant), 3200 kcal/day:  6/7

This goal is measured strictly by calorie limit, though I also tracked macro ratios and carb/protein consumption.  One day I went over the limit by 511 calories.  Otherwise, I stayed between 2400 and 2700 calories per day.

Total:  32/40 points, which is 80%.

I'm totally subbed - you have a solid plan and are definitely making progress! Keep up the great work!!

P.S. Isn't Bulletproof Coffee the most wonderful thing?!?!? I absolutely love it!  :highly_amused:

Powered by Wine, Tattoos, Killer Workouts, Distance Running, Good Books, DemonBells, Hair Dye, Dr Who, My Little Ponies, Benedict Cumberbatch, Cards Against Humanity, Criminal Minds TV marathons, Body Piercings, Comics, Watermelon, Adamantium, and the Knowledge that I Should Be In Dauntless 

Kryptonite: TV Infomercials, 90's Boy Bands, Mac & Cheese, Anything with Tequila, Shiny Objects, Fitness Tracking Gadgets, Sarah McLachlan ASPCA commercials, Sour Patch Kids, Build-A-Bear Stores, Strawberry Twizzlers and Online Shopping

Ongoing Battle Log: My Quest for PRs and Endorphins

Week #2 starts off in good shape!

• Strength training, check!
  • Yoga, check!
  • Walking x4, check!
  • Calories under 3249, check!

2515 calories, to be exact, with a CFP ratio of 11:64:25.  Carbs were at 67.8g (fine) and protein at 153g (under).

Today a bit of a slip.  What is it about Tuesdays?

To start off, I went 149 kcal over my limit.  That's a little more than a tablespoon of olive oil in terms of calories.  The guilty party was my lunch of chicken salad, made with homemade paleo mayo.  It was so good that I had a second helping later in the afternoon.

I therefore should have cut back at dinner, but I had some steaks in the fridge that needed to be cooked.  And damn was it good!  100% grass fed/finished New York steak seasoned with my "magic mushroom" powder and seared in some butter, then finished in the oven.  Accompanied by steamed cauliflower mashed with butter and topped with a bit of dukkah.  And a handful of blueberries for dessert.

So you know what?  That was a damned tasty 149 calories, and worth every one!

CFP ratio today was 9:70:21, with 73.4g of carbs (good) and 178.7g of protein (better).

Unfortunately, I also burned the heck out of my hand (stupid), which meant keeping it chilled during dinner.  It hurts like hell, so I popped a couple of painkillers to deal with it.  As a result, I missed my last walk of the night, so that's only three for today.

But did I mention how yummy the food was?

I'm totally subbed - you have a solid plan and are definitely making progress! Keep up the great work!!

P.S. Isn't Bulletproof Coffee the most wonderful thing?!?!? I absolutely love it!  :highly_amused:

BP coffee is indeed brilliant!  It pretty much carries me all the way through to lunch.

BP coffee is indeed brilliant!  It pretty much carries me all the way through to lunch.

Yeah we love it too! Its damn good stuffs! 

I'm sorry your Tuesday was rough calorie-wise, but that salad sounds worth it! Keep up the good work!

Powered by Wine, Tattoos, Killer Workouts, Distance Running, Good Books, DemonBells, Hair Dye, Dr Who, My Little Ponies, Benedict Cumberbatch, Cards Against Humanity, Criminal Minds TV marathons, Body Piercings, Comics, Watermelon, Adamantium, and the Knowledge that I Should Be In Dauntless 

Kryptonite: TV Infomercials, 90's Boy Bands, Mac & Cheese, Anything with Tequila, Shiny Objects, Fitness Tracking Gadgets, Sarah McLachlan ASPCA commercials, Sour Patch Kids, Build-A-Bear Stores, Strawberry Twizzlers and Online Shopping

Energy levels were a bit down today.  Also, I woke up with what felt like a mild sore throat, but that went away in the afternoon.

• Strength training, check!
  • Yoga, check!
  • Walk 4x @ 15 minutes each, check!
  • Calories:  3024, 225 under limit.
  • Carbs:  100.3g.  Lesson learned - dates are for cooking; stick to berries to satisfy your sweet tooth after dinner.
  • Protein:  155.7g - need to include more lean protein
  • CFP ratio:  13:66:21

Tonight was the Wolf Moon, and as part of my monthly lunar rite I drank some spiced mead from the horn.  Afterwards, I enjoyed a glass more while winding down for the night.  Drinking mead is a monthly and/or seasonal event for me, and falls outside of my tracking efforts, i.e. it is not included in my food data.

Looks like you had a great day! Good job on hitting so many of your goals!!  :highly_amused:

Today was a good day.  Saw the chiropractor for an adjustment, and while explaining to him what I've been doing this last week or so, it really struck home a) how much of a lifestyle change I've made; and B) how much better I feel.  My back and hip are in a much better state than they were, my sinuses have cleared up for the most part, I don't have that constant I'm-coming-down-with-something feeling.  Overall, some very positive changes.

As for today:

• Got all four walks in
  • Calories were 902 below target
  • Carbs = 72g, protein 163g
  • CFP ratio:  13:57:30

Yeah!

Today was a good day.  Saw the chiropractor for an adjustment, and while explaining to him what I've been doing this last week or so, it really struck home a) how much of a lifestyle change I've made; and B) how much better I feel.  My back and hip are in a much better state than they were, my sinuses have cleared up for the most part, I don't have that constant I'm-coming-down-with-something feeling.  Overall, some very positive changes.

As for today:

• Got all four walks in
  • Calories were 902 below target
  • Carbs = 72g, protein 163g
  • CFP ratio:  13:57:30

Yeah!

That's awesome that you're seeing so many positive changes already! Keep up the great work! 

Today was starch day, the day of the week where I swap out fruit and swap in a quality starch.  Today it was sweet potatoes, and to celebrate I made steamed sweet potato mashed with butter.  And some dukkah.  With steak.  Yum.

Starch is important, as its insoluble fiber ferments in the gut and nourishes your gut flora.  Given that I eat far less carbs than most people, making sure I have a weekly boost of starch is important.

Today's stats:

• I weighed in today at 366.4, that's five pounds lost in the last seven days, and roughly 16 lbs lost since this challenge began.  I say "roughly" because my initial weight is from the body composition test (BodPod), which I only do once every six weeks.  Interim weigh ins are done on my trainer's scale, and are accurate only when compared to each other, and are used to insure I'm moving in the right direction:  down.
  • Strenght training, check.
  • Walking 15 minutes x4, check.
  • Total calories consumed:  3047, which is 202 below target.
  • Carbs:  73.6; protein:  161.7
  • CFP ratio:  10:69:21

I rock!

Today I tried for a 30 minute walk, and ended up going 40!  My back stayed fine, and my hip for the most part didn’t gripe, and when it did it was very much bearable.  This is good progress, given that just two weeks ago I couldn’t go around the block without stopping at least twice from back and hip pain.

• Walking:  combined 53 minutes, just shy of a 4×15 walk equivalent – check!
  • Calories:  3255, well within the +/- 20 kcal accuracy range – check!
  • Carbs:  83.1g, Protein:  143.4g
  • CFP Ratio:  11:71:18

I had some paleo mayo with my tuna salad for dinner, which is what drove my calorie count.  It would have been better had I cut that back a bit and replaced those calories with more tuna to up the protein count.

Today I was able to upgrade my 4x 15 minute walks to 2x 30 minutes, with minimal discomfort.  Yeah!  This is real progress!

• Walking:  2x 30 minutes, check!
  • Calories:  2483, 766 under target, check!
  • Carbs:  48.3g; Protein:  158.4g
  • CFP Ratio:  8:66:26

Carbs are a bit low, and protein could have used an added boost.  Otherwise a good spread.

Score for Week #2:  37/40 points, which is 93%.  That's an A- (3.7 grade points)!

The second week of Challenge #1 has ended.  How did I do?

[sTR] Beginner bodyweight training, 3x weekly:  3/3

MWF, three out of three.

[DEX] Yoga, 2x weekly:  2/2

MW, two out of two.

[sTA] Walking, 15 minutes, 4x daily:  26/28

I missed a walk on two different days.  Good news here is that I'm ready to upgrade this goal to twice a day at 30 minutes starting with Week #3!

[CON] Adopt paleo diet (Asprey IF variant), 3200 kcal/day:  6/7

I went way over on Tuesday, but otherwise I kept to the goal.

Total:  37/40 points, which is 93%.

Two Week Stats Update

Weight:  365.4 lbs (roughly -17.3 lbs)
Neck:  18.2" (-2.2")
Chest:  58" (-0.9")
Waist:  58.8" (-1.4")
Hips:  48" (-2")
L Bicep:  14.2" (-0.4")
L Forearm:  12.9" (+0.9")
L Thigh:  25.9" (-1.6")
L Calf:  19.5" (-0.9")

Weight loss is "rough" because I'm using the gym scale for weekly weigh ins.  Formal weight is measured every six weeks as part of my body composition test.

The rate of change for each of the body measurements is about the same, with neck shrinking the fastest.  Left forearm actually grew, probably due to strength training.

It will be interesting to see how this looks in two more weeks.