Second keliswicked log - Whole30, Couch to 5k, and other interesting tidbits

January 7, 2014

First entry

2:33pm

Day 2 of the Whole30: still so far so good.  I'm really weak and feeling sick but I'm not sure I can attribute that to the food so much as the sub zero temperatures.  Tomorrow I'm going to weigh myself for a starting weight, I haven't weighed myself in a while so I know it's going to be terrible but if I don't know then I can't really do much about it.  And this is all about improvement so I'm going to improve as best I can.

Haven't picked back up on the Couch to 5k yet.  Going to tomorrow I think, before I go to my last first day of school.  Plus our pipes froze over so I can't shower at home, might as well get a workout in and shower at the gym.  I still haven't figured out what days are going to be my workout days because it's so horribly cold out (it's around -3 here) and I don't know if I have it in me to walk to campus on the weekends, but Monday is my longest day and it's unlikely I would want to workout during that day. I suppose I'll probably have to though.  We'll see.  I'll go tomorrow and then hopefully Friday and I have to go to campus anyway this weekend so I'll get my third run in then.  If it was slightly warmer I could try outside... but it's just way too cold as is.

Have I mentioned how cold it is?

My nails are all still in tact.  I bit one earlier today but I hadn't yet decided to stop so I won't go crazy over it.  I have to repaint my right forefinger because the polish got chipped. 

I also bought a new backpack today since I'll be walking to school so I don't damage my shoulder with an over the shoulder bag like I've been doing for years.

Good first entry, team.

Keliswicked, level 6 half Hobbit/ half Dwarf Druid

Progress Log  ||  Fitocracy!  || 2 3 4 5 6

January 9th, 2014

5:35pm

Day 4 of the Whole30:  today I woke up with diarrhea, which is totally gross and it was my first day at my campus job this semester.  Luckily it passed quickly and I took some Pepto twice during the day to stave it off.  I'm not sure if it was from the change in diet or what.  Still feeling emotionally okay but I haven't really hit the worst stages of the transition yet.

My legs were still a bit sore today from running yesterday, plus I did a lot of walking during work, but hopefully they'll feel better tomorrow.

I bit one nail once today but I stopped myself and filed it instead.  Improvement!

January 10th, 2014

1:00pm

So I'm putting off running until I find my sneakers or can procure a new pair.  The old ones were just too horrible and it's not worth the potential injury.  I'm hoping that maybe I can get them this weekend but it's unlikely so next weekend is the probable time.

Day 5 of the Whole30:  Yesterday I bitched my boyfriend out for no particular reason. I'm definitely in the moody stage which lasts from approximately day 4 to day 5 according to the timeline.  However, I think it ended for me because today I can't think of anything except taking a nap, which is the next stage of the suffering. 

Haven't bitten my nails at all.  I haven't hit any stressful situations yet, but it's still a huge improvement!

January 11th, 2014

day after summary

So I'm taking time off from the Couch to 5k until I can get new running shoes or find my regular ones.  It's not worth the injuries from using my old ones.  But I haven't forgotten about it or lost the desire to do it.

Day 6 of the Whole30: I think I was still a little bitchy and also tired so that's about right as far as the timeline goes. But it went well!  I had leftover maple sausage patties for lunch and Paleo chicken nuggets for dinner, with some banana "ice cream" for dessert.  I know Whole30 rules say not to "Paleoify" anything, but my day yesterday was pretty horrendous and that was the best thing I could do without cheating.  So far so good.

I went to bite my nails a few times but was able to stop myself and use a nail file instead.  Improvement!

January 12th, 2014

12:26pm

this is a little early so I may come back and add but there are some things I want to note before I forget.

No update on the Couch to 5k of course.

Day 7 of the Whole30: Last night I had my first craving dream of this second Whole30.  We were at my mom's and she was making dinner and I was snacking on Doritos.  As with my dreams last time around, I don't realize that I shouldn't be eating what I'm eating until a few minutes after I've started.  Then I spend most of the dream debating if I should restart my Whole30 or if it's okay to keep going... the dreams aren't fun and I always wake up upset with myself.  On the bright side, it's better than just cheating in real life! I had leftover chicken nuggets for lunch with Paleo ranch dressing and an apple.

Haven't bitten my nails yet today, probably will update later.

January 13th, 2014

5:24pm

Day 8 of the Whole30: no dreams, no ridiculous emotions... this was a good day for the Whole30.  I'm coming up to the 10 day mark which is always a struggle and the time that everyone feels like quitting.  But I've been strong so far and I'm happy with how I feel so far.  

Been good with biting my nails too!  I still find myself putting them in my mouth a bit but not nearly as much as I used to.

January 14th, 2014

day after summary

Day 9 of the Whole30:  nothing of significant interest to report for yesterday.  I've been eating a lot of ham with Paleochef ketchup.  So that works.  No ridiculous cravings, no cheating.  Woo hoo.  

I've been really good about biting my nails.  The key is really just keeping the nail file and clipper with me at all times.  It's getting to be a bit of an addiction, keeping them perfectly manicured, but I suppose whatever I do not to bite them is an improvement.

January 15th, 2014

1:07pm

Day 10 of the Whole30: well this is the usual make or break point for a person's Whole30, but I honestly don't think I'm going to have any trouble sticking to the rules.  I'm already a third of the way into this so I'm not going to blow all my hard work and the promise I made to myself to be good and take care of myself.

Haven't bitten my nails.  I wanted to in class but I didn't.  I waited until after when I could file it.  It's so so perfect.  I'm so happy with myself. 

Whoops, kind of forgot about my log, but haven't stopped my whole30 or started biting my nails!

January 20th, 2014

5:13pm

Day 15 of the Whole30 and still going strong!  I don't feel great because I may be getting a cold and I have my period but I'm not tempted to stray from my prescribed diet.  I think I should try and get back to reading It Starts with Food because it motivates me further to stay on track!

Also, I bought new running shoes today!! So I can start back with the Couch to 5k, hopefully tomorrow!!

Anddddd I haven't bitten my nails ONCE in the last 5 days. I've had two break, multiple hang nails, and basically everything else that can go wrong with nails but I've been being good and using my nail clippers and emery board instead of biting!

Yay for lots of improvements!

Well this is just dandy.

January 21, 2014

7:50pm

I used my new running shoes for the first time tonight! I did week 3 day 1 of the couch to 5k. I decided to do week 3 instead of 4 so I can adjust to the new shoes and running again. It felt great! Now I can barely sit still in night class. I'm happy and bouncing off the walls.

Almost bit a hang nail today but stopped myself and trimmed it instead!!

And of course, Whole30 is going great. I should be getting into the Tiger blood phase soon. I may be already. I have few cravings and I'm just happy. Yipee!!

January 22nd, 2014

9:50pm

Day 17 of the Whole30:  I had a huge challenge today when my professor ordered pizza for our night class.  I was really upset but not really tempted.  Which I guess is good but of course the only time something fun happens in class I'm missing out.  But I told myself that I'm worth more than a slice of pizza.

Didn't run today.

Also still working hard at not biting. Still haven't!  I went to at one point but realized what I was doing and stopped myself.

January 23rd, 2014

8:25pm

Day 18 of the Whole30: no absurd challenges today but I had a horrible night's sleep last night, I think it's some pent up frustration from the pizza and other things that's making me slightly emotional about being on a Whole30 right now.  I'm hoping it goes away in a day or so, I've been eating a lot more than I should and usually do, maybe trying to keep myself from being hungry.  I think I had too much fruit too, early on, and now I'm still struggling with cutting it out (necessary now that we're out of apples)

Didn't run today because I woke up late and couldn't force myself to get dressed and back to the gym in the freezing cold since I've been fighting illness for over a week.  It was just too much.  But tomorrow I'm going to!

Still doing awesome with not biting my nails.  I hope that six weeks is enough for me to stop entirely, but I'll probably have to be on high alert for another whole challenge just to be on the safe side.  

January 24th, 2014

1:04pm

Day 19 of the Whole30:  I think I'm eating too much fruit.  I'm craving it a lot.  I'm also eating a lot of meat but I think that's still the point of the Whole30.  Haven't gone off though!  I got a free lunch today, so I had two pears, a banana and some soup.  I don't THINK that there was anything not approved in it, but I'm not 100% sure.  I'm not going to worry about it though, because I did what I could to be good.

I'm going to do Week 3 Day 2 of the Couch to 5k today, after my next class.  I may update to say how it felt.  I put the next few weeks into my calendar so I shouldn't skip.  I also realized that week 9 will be the week of spring break/ going to see The Book of Mormon so I have a huge milestone to look forward to when I keep running!! Just like my Whole30 ends the day before seeing Wicked.  The best kinds of rewards!

I bit my nail a little bit for a second last night before I stopped myself.  So that's still going well.  I think I'm going to manicure and paint them tonight!

EDIT:  I ran Week 3 Day 2 of Couch to 5k and it went pretty well!! THEN I did 2 circuits of the BBWW and oh my gosh I can't believe how weak I've gotten!  I used to squat like 115lb regularly and now I could barely do 20 body weight squats! I'm not excited for how much pain I'm going to be in tomorrow... but I'll be recovered for my next run on Sunday.

January 25th, 2014

8:56pm

Day 20 of the Whole30: I can't believe I'm already 2/3 done.  I feel like it's gone by so quickly.  I wish I had eaten a little less fruit but overall I'm happy with how I'm feeling, though I know I'll need another short reset in a month or so, just because this winter has taken so much out of my physically.  But I'm doing well!! I was a little pissed when my boyfriend encouraged me to cheat on Day 28 to have margaritas for the super bowl.  What??? Why would I cheat myself out of how amazing I feel for a drink on a day that really has no importance to me (because the Giants aren't in it)? That's stupid and I'm annoyed that he's not understanding how important this is to me, when he was so supportive in the past.  I asked if his mom would have Whole30 foods and he said the foods would be Paleo.  So I hope they're actually Whole30.  

Today wasn't a running day, I did a little foam rolling to loosen up my poor quads though!

Nail biting still isn't a problem.  Of course, the big challenge will be whenever the stress of school/life hits me.

January 26th, 2014

12:16pm

Day 21 of the Whole30:  today my boyfriend and I ate breakfast for the first time, since I read in It Starts with Food that not waking up hungry is generally a sign of hormonal imbalance.  That was at like 9am.  Now it's a little after noon and I feel kind of funky.  I don't know if I'm craving sugar and haven't had any yet, or because my system isn't used to having food this early, but either way it's funky.  I'm going to eat lunch soon, during which I will have some fruit so maybe I'll feel better after that.  I don't know if I'm just used to feeling empty early in the morning?  It's weird though not exactly bad.  I'm hoping it goes away after lunch, and this prevents me from eating two dinners, as I've been calling it.

I'll update later for my run, which I'm going on after a symphony my boyfriend and I are seeing.  

I bit a piece of skin off near my nail last night.  I did it regardless of knowing I shouldn't, but I didn't touch my nails so it's still an improvement.

Addendum to January 26th:

I finished week 3 of the couch to 5k and honestly felt great! I felt like I could have run the half miles that start up this next week.  I'm not sure if it's because I had a healthy breakfast and lunch but whatever it was it felt great.

January 27th, 2014

6:30pm

Day 22 of the Whole30:  I had a hot dog at lunch.  No bun, of course.  Technically Paleo but I almost fell asleep at noon and I can only blame that.  I also had really bad indigestion, not sure what it was from.  But other than that doing well.  I went to bed early last night and woke up pretty easily at 6:30am this morning.

Off day from running.

Found myself putting my nails in my mouth a bit.  I think it's definitely stress related.  No biting though!

January 28th, 2014

2:26pm

Day 23 of the Whole30:  Last week!! It's super exciting.  This morning (since I have nothing to do on Tuesdays) I woke up around 8:30 and made myself sweet potato hash, some bacon and a banana for breakfast! It was wonderful!  I might make some more sweet potato hash for dinner, or maybe for breakfast tomorrow.  I hope I'm losing weight.  I certainly feel good, plus I basically popped out of bed at 8:30am which I don't normally do.  I really wish I could continue my Whole30 for an extra week or so, but there are too many events happening that I don't want to give up.

Going to run W4D1 of C25k around 4pm.  Then shower and dry my hair for an hour before going to class.  I'll update later if I remember.

I find that I've been putting my nails in my mouth a bit.  I think it's mostly when I'm nervous or stressed over something.  I haven't actually been biting, and I've been very aware of it, so that's all good steps in the right direction at least.

Anddd I am now taking 3 different Coursera courses!

Nutrition, Health & Lifestyle is on its second week, and it will run for 7 weeks, until March 10th.

Microeconomic Principles is on its second week, and it will run for 16 weeks, until May 12th.

Introductory Human Physiology is on its first week, and it will run for 12 weeks, until April 21st.

So these are all going to overlap for a while but I think I'll be fine.  Since Micro is so spread out, the videos only take about an hour to watch, I'm already caught up on that one and I got a 10/10 on my first try on the quiz!  I think it's fun.  Nutrition I'll definitely be fine with because I love it and want to be a nutritionist.

IHP is going to be a bitch.  I tried taking it before but couldn't keep up with how hard and lengthy the material was.  It's definitely a huge challenge.  The only motivation I really have is that it will prepare me to take Exercise Physiology in July, which I REALLY want to take.  I'm trying to think of something else I can do to motivate myself, but I don't really know.  I'll have to think.

So I'll be adding a progress bar for each course:

Nutrition, Health & Lifestyle: Week 2

Microeconomics: Week 2

Introductory Human Physiology: Week 1

January 30th, 2014

4:46pm

Day 25 of the Whole30: I must be feeling good because I popped out of bed at 7:30am to make myself breakfast and lunch, which wasn't really quite enough time because kale chips took a while but it still ended up working out.  Breakfast and lunch were great.  I don't know what happened after work and running, but I came home and was awake for like half an hour before I went upstairs and passed out for twenty minutes.  Not sure why, but honestly I don't hate it so I'm not too concerned.

W4D2 of the C25k: still felt pretty good.  I've found that I actually feel better as I go running, it gets easier and more relaxed for me.  I'm going to have to finish the week tomorrow since I'll be away all weekend but that's okay because it'll give me lots of time to recover and I'm doing what I have to do.  I'm glad that next week the first day is only half miles again, I feel like it takes some time to get used to them.

Haven't bit my nails but I need to repaint them because it's been a while!

I'm working on watching the endocrine system videos for this week of IHP, will update when they're done.

January 31st, 2014

4:13pm

Day 26 of the Whole30:  I missed lunch today, but I had sweet potatoes and bacon for breakfast to make up for it!  I'm excited for it to be over because of cheese and chocolate but loving it all the same!

Week 4, Day 3 of Couch to 5k done!!!! Now I have three days to recover and then on to hump week!

Haven't bit nails, doing awesome!

Also, yesterday I finished week 1 of IHP.  Over and out!

February 1st, 2014

6:16pm

Day 27 of the Whole30: I'm almost sad that this is over, because I love feelingg this good. But I'm happy to have cheese, chocolate and wine.

No c25k today.

Bought new nail polish. Now they're blue.

I started a new 30 day fitness regime. Actually two of them. A push up and a plank challenge. Neither will take long, and they both have rest days built in which I like.

So today was day 1. I did one of each kind of push up and a 20 second plank.

February 2nd, 2014

2:16pm

Day 28 of the Whole30: It's hard to believe this is almost over.  I think I look substantially better and I absolutely feel great.  I'll be curious to see how much weight I've lost.  I wish I had measured myself but I'll just have to do it after.  I think in the future I want to do Whole30s like three times a year, so I can never get too far off track before I'm back on.  I just love feeling this way! Waking up at a normal hour, getting so much accomplished... And being fit! 

I can't wait to rock week 5 of the C25k starting on Tuesday! 

My nails keep chipping but I can live with it.

Day 2 of 30 Day Push-up / Plank Challenge: today was one of each push-up, repeated, so 10 total, followed by a 20 second plank! Yay!