Second keliswicked log - Whole30, Couch to 5k, and other interesting tidbits

February 3rd, 2014

12:57pm

Day 29 of the Whole30:  Well it's almost over.  Hard to believe and yet I'm ready at the same time.  I definitely want to do this three times a year like I mentioned earlier.  Maybe I'll do a Whole90 before I go on vacation next time, or before I get married! On the bad side, I had a hard time falling asleep last night despite reading for a half hour.  (Btw, Ender's Game is getting really good!)  I also almost fell asleep during my noon class though I snapped out of it and now I feel fine.  I ate a burger at the Marriott.  I'm trying to decide if I should blame the Marriott's burger this week/ hot dog last week, or if it's more of a, getting up and working at 7:30am thing that just takes a lot out of me.  I'm sure that is part of it, but fortunately I can wake up at 7:30am every other day so it's only Monday that's rough.  And Tuesday I basically have a day off!  So that's good.

Another rest day for Couch to 5k.  Tomorrow is Week 5 Day 1 and then Thursday is Day 2 and Saturday is Day 3 (the big one!) Hope it's warm enough to run outside! I'm not excited to do 32 laps around the track...

I'd like to think I kicked my nail biting habit.  I'm sure it's not gone permanently but I don't do it subconsciously anymore and that's what's most important.

Day 3 of Push-ups / Planks: today was a rest day for push ups but I did a 30 second plank first thing in the morning, it wasn't exactly hard but I could definitely feel it after! I don't even want to think about how I'll feel when I'm doing 3+ minute planks!

I'm going to do some micro work today but haven't started yet, so will update on that when I do it.  I also have some homework (groan) that I'll need to get done at some point.

Keliswicked, level 6 half Hobbit/ half Dwarf Druid

Progress Log  ||  Fitocracy!  || 2 3 4 5 6

February 4th, 2014

10:40pm

Day 30 of the Whole30: I feel like I can't even begin to reflect on how much this has affected me.  I think I'll know better once I start eating other foods and remember how different it feels.  I just feel great.  My running is great.  I love myself like this.  I'll be curious to see tomorrow how much weight I've lost.  I think I look great (though I can still look better!)  I'm excited to have a nice dinner out tomorrow and some WINE!

W5D1 of the Couch to 5k! This was awesome! My first half mile was the best I've ever had.  I felt light, fast and athletic.  I pushed myself really hard.  I'm super excited for the long run on Saturday!

No update on nail biting.

Day 4 of the the Push-up / Plank Challenge:  2x each of push ups.  I had to do the second T push up on my knees but I'm going to keep working at it.  My stomach was really hurting for planks but I did it and now, tonight, I don't really feel it at all.  Glad I have a rest day on Thursday!

February 5th, 2014

delayed report

Day 31 of the Whole30: damn.  I may have gone a little overboard my first day off, also because we went to see Wicked and got a nice dinner and drinks before.  I was definitely drunk.  But I remember the whole thing.  It was incredible.  My tummy is a little iffy today and I didn't sleep too well - both direct results of the alcohol I know.  I had buffalo mac and cheese for dinner.  It was definitely the most un-Paleo of my options, but I wanted it and it ended up being incredible, so no guilt there.  Then we had ice cream.  I'm going to try and be good today again for a few days.  I may have a cookie or something at lunch but that's really it.  Though I do want chocolate. I've missed chocolate.

No c25k 

No nail biting - just breaking =(

Day 5 of the Push-up / Plank challenge: Day 5 consisted of 1 of each, 3x push ups.  I still have trouble doing the T push ups on my toes, but I'm working at it. The plank was hard but not impossibly so, so I'll take that as a mini win. 

I need to get back to work on Coursera but it's been hard when I've had so much real life homework to do...

February 6th, 2014

3:39pm

Well the Whole30 is over so I guess I should stop updating about it!  But regardless it went great, it gave me a steady eating habit and almost broke my sugar addiction (it's still sort of there, but I'm more in control of it.  Though I did have a piece of pie and a cookie at lunch.)  So instead I'll just write about my feelings towards food and how I'm adapting.  I felt reasonably good today considering all the alcohol I drank yesterday.  My run went really well!  So I think the one non-Paleo meal plus alcohol didn't really affect me.

Week 5 Day 2 of the Couch to 5k!  This is the last day of interval running before the big two miles, but honestly I'm excited for it.  I'm going to run on the outside track even if it's bitterly cold.  I'm going to bring toothpicks or something to help me count the laps too.  I'll just have to dress warm and hope for the best!  

Still not biting.  Nails still breaking. Stupid cold!

Day 6 of the Push-up / Plank challenge:  rest day for both! Huzzah!

February 7th, 2014

1:29pm

I had a bad day yesterday and this morning with stress from a program I had due.  I didn't sleep well as a result.

My boyfriend talked me out of stress eating a lunch.  So that's good!

No c25k today.  Tomorrow is the big one!

Been doing really good not biting my nails, despite the stress I was feeling the last few days.  So that's a win!

Day 7 of the Push-up / Plank challenge:  I think this was very influenced by my bad night's sleep and the stress of the last few days.  I could barely do my push-ups, they were the hardest I've ever done, none of them felt smooth or strong, and this was with a day off yesterday.  I had to cheat a little bit throughout each T push-up.  The planks were even worse.  I "did" 45 seconds but my knees were on the ground a lot of the time.  I concluded it was partially because I felt so crappy and partially because my socks were slipping.  So I took the socks off and did it again.  I went into dolphin a few times to alleviate some of the pain, but overall I was basically able to accomplish the second time.  I'm hopeful that I feel better tomorrow and can be more steady through my 45 seconds.  I know I'm definitely capable of it.

February 9th, 2014

10:08pm

it's basically my bedtime but I'm watching Olympic prime time!

I want to start getting my diet back on track tomorrow or Tuesday.

No run today.

No biting.  Just breaks =(

Watched 3 videos for IHP.  Hopefully will catch up tomorrow or Tuesday!

February 10th, 2014

7:56pm

Today was another bad diet day.  It was Jeff's birthday.  Oh well.  Tomorrow is another day.

No run today, but tomorrow!!

Haven't watched any videos for Coursera, my day kind of slipped away and now I need to do homework...

Tomorrow I'm going to make myself a tight schedule to work out of!!

Day 10 of the Push Up and Plank challenge:  my push up form is pretty horrific.  Jeff was trying to fix it so I was doing a lot of push ups on my knees.  I'm going to keep following the schedule as closely as possible, but I may have to substitute a lot of knee push ups to get my form to where it needs to be.  Even with my plank I could feel myself dropping a lot of weight into my lower back, which Jeff thinks is my weakness in my push ups.  But I did them and I will continue on working!

February 11th, 2014

day after summary

Eating wasn't too bad... ate some munchkins =)

Ran week 6 day 1 of C25k.  I ran on the treadmill which was different and a little harder than I thought it would be but I succeeded!  Not sure what I'll do for my next run...

Day 11 of Push-up / Plank challenge:  plank was 1 minute and pretty doable.  I'm definitely getting stronger and more comfortable.  Push-ups were hard but I did mostly regular ones on the knees to work on keeping my back straight.  so cool!

February 12th, 2014

9:19pm

Ate three slices of pizza and some soda in night class.  At least I didn't eat too too much, and I would have felt bad refusing tonight.

No run today.

Day 12 of Push-up / Plank challenge: no push ups today, minute and a half plank was really hard and I stopped for a second to take my socks off but otherwise I handled it with just a little bit of dolphins.

February 13th, 2014

8:05pm

Had some pie at french fries at lunch today.  Felt slow running.  But bought myself some healthy food for the weekend.  I really need to learn how to not indulge too frequently...

Week 6 Day 2 of Couch to 5k.  I felt okay but was a little slow.  It was possibly because of the food I ate or maybe because I'm just a slow runner still.  I can live with that.  I worked hard after my run, doing some assisted pull-ups and then squats, benches, and OHPs with one of the squishy bars.  I'm going to be really sore tomorrow but at least it was a small warm-up to getting back under the bar on Saturday.

I found myself biting a little, but if I did it was usually a conscientious decision, not out of habit.  So still good.

Day 13 of the Push-up / Plank challenge: didn't have planks today, but I'm surprised how I'm not sore at all!  I did basically just all kneeling push-ups but once again my focus was on my form, and I did all my reps.

February 14th, 2014

5:01pm

I ate all my Valentine's Day chocolate in stress after Jeff left and I stopped crying.  And I had a salad cafe sandwich for lunch.  On the bright side I probably won't eat again today.  So I should be okay for my run and first Starting Strength workout tomorrow. 

My biceps are pretty sore from yesterday.  I just did my push ups for today and they were a little hard, but instead of doing different ones I broke them up into 4 sets of 5, all regular kneeling.  I'm working hard on keeping my back straight since I know that that's crucial to doing real push ups.

I also did yoga this morning.  It was great. I was weaker than I was last time I did yoga, partially because of the workout yesterday and partially because it's been so long since I've done yoga.  

I cried a lot today when Jeff left.  I guess I don't really like being alone.  But I'm also going to make the most out of this weekend to be productive and take care of myself.  Because when I live by myself it's going to be all about me.  

Day 14 of the Push-up / Plank challenge:  my plank was really weak, probably because I'm already tired from yoga and other workouts.  I think when I do them earlier in the day I do better.  All the chocolate and the sandwich probably didn't help either... My push- ups were decent.  I got them done which is always a plus.  

I need to get back on my Coursera courses.  I may do some soon.  I'm glad I have the house to myself now.  Kind of wish I didn't eat all the chocolate, but it's Valentine's Day.

Addendum: I caught up on ALL my Coursera work except the most recent week of IHP... which I actually want to do because it's muscles.  So I'll work on it tomorrow and Sunday and then the current week next week, culminating in my first test!  Part of me doesn't care, and part of me wants that certificate..

February 15th, 2014

2:54pm

I think today was one of the best workouts I've ever had. I ran my 2.25 miles with music which made a HUGE difference and I did wonderful.  I felt great the whole time, I was able to ignore my brain trying to tell me to stop, and I'd like to think that my time wasn't horrific!  But honestly I just don't care how slow I'm going for now, so long as I can run three continuous miles in three more weeks, which I totally know that I can do.

THEN I lifted for the first time in forever.  I took it easy on the squats but worked hard to keep my form good, since that's one of the reasons I stopped last time.

Squat:

45lb x 5

45lb x 5

55lb x 5

65lb x 5

65lb x 5

65lb x 4

OHP:

45lb x 5

45lb x 5

45lb x 4

Deadlifts:

95lb x 5

115lb x 5

125lb x 4

Day 15 of the Push-up / Plank Challenge: no push ups today, which was probably good!  I was able to do the full 90 second plank, I think wearing sneakers made it a lot easier but I still did it!  Tomorrow moves up to 2 minutes.  This is the time of the program that I think it gets a little ridiculous, going up by 30 seconds every two or three days.  So we'll see how I fare from here on out.

February 16th, 2014

day after summary

Ate pretty well yesterday. Need to figure out what my motivation will be for this week, and what owl I'm going to use.

I did my 25 push ups as 10/5/5/5. All on my knees, just normal.  The planks were pretty hard at two minutes, I had to drop my knees once or twice for a second and do a bit of dolphin to make it through. 

Pretty boring day, but in a good way!

February 17th, 2014

4:33pm

I had two more pieces of cake today and some tater tots at lunch.  I felt absolutely terrible last night.  I kept tossing and turning and coughing and didn't seem to sleep for more than an hour or a two at a time.  So I felt like poop when I woke up.  I drank some green tea and powered through though.  Now I feel like I just need some sleep and relaxation, which is unlikely this week...

Today was 30 push ups and 2 minute plank.  I did 10 push ups on my knees, 10 off a wall, and 10 off a tall table. I think I'm going to start doing that pretty regularly.  It's better to keep working towards real push ups.  But I think I'll start with the table and then go to wall or kneeling, so I'm getting the most challenging ones out of the way first.

I put on sneakers to do the plank and I still couldn't handle the whole thing.  I think since the program gets a little ridiculous here, I'm going to do another few days of 2 minutes and try working my way up to 3 minutes by the end of the 30 days.  Perhaps, I don't need endurance so much as strength.

Oh, I also watched a bunch of IHP videos yesterday.  I only have two more for the past week and then I need to play catch up again.  

Review of Push-up challenge thus far:

• For the first couple of days, I really liked this challenge.  It starts simply enough, and I liked switching up the push ups styles to keep things interesting. Also, while there were only very few reps of each kind of push up, it was good to focus on the differences.  It builds slowly at the beginning, which I like.
  • My big problem was that my form was bad from the beginning and I didn't even realize it.  It wasn't until around day 11 that my boyfriend was checking my form for me and I realized how bad it was.  I switched from doing regular push ups to doing kneeling ones, and as a result, I usually just did regular ones instead of switching up the forms.  
  • The biggest issue with my form was that I wasn't keeping my core tight and my back straight.  So the kneeling push ups were a good way to really that make a focus for a couple of days until it became muscle memory.
  • One thing to make special note of with this program is that it is definitely not for beginners.  At the minimum, I would recommend this to women who can already do five regular push ups with little to no issue.  If you have to begin with kneeling push ups, I probably wouldn't bother doing the T style because you're missing out on the plank aspect.  In fact, if you're still not up to the regular push ups, I would do a different program all together.  Maybe I'll take some time to put one together.  If you can't start with regular push ups but still want to do the program or a similar one, I recommend doing the push ups off the wall or a table, depending on your starting level.  Do as many as possible at your hardest level, and then move down to kneeling or another if necessary to finish off the reps.  
  • This update was as of day 17.  I keep working on the push ups but the program is only really smart for the five different variations.

Review of Plank challenge thus far:

• The beginning of this challenge, up through about the 1:30 mark, or day 15, I think is pretty reasonable.  It starts with only 20 seconds and moves up in short increments.  I really enjoyed doing the first half.  I felt like I made a lot of improvement and got a stronger core almost right from the beginning.  I had some DOMS after the first couple of days because my ab muscles weren't used to the consistent work.  But it didn't last long and soon it became almost common sense to do my daily planks.
  • Though you only get a few rest days, I found that I didn't need them.  Ab workouts can traditionally be done every day, or nearly so, unlike other kinds of strength training.  As always, if you need an extra rest day, I highly recommend you take it.  Finishing a day or two later than planned is worlds better than hurting yourself unnecessarily.
  • I recommend following the first 15 days or so exactly as written.  I found the intervals all doable.  Though now since I'm editing the rest of the program, in hindsight I would add a 1:15 plank in between the 1 minute and 1:30.
  • I'm up to two minutes on day 17 but it's not consistent, I have to drop my knees at least once just for a second, and do some dolphins to alleviate some of the pressure.  So my goal for the next 13 days is to move up from 2 minutes to 3 minutes. That way it will still be a huge accomplishment, but I can take another few days to work on my two minute plank and then slowly continue moving up to the 3 minute mark.  As cool as it would be to say that I can do a 5 minute plank, is it really necessary?  I want to have a strong core to help with my lifts, and none of them last that long.  I need a core that can handle huge weight for short periods of time.  3 minutes is more than enough.

February 18th, 2014

day after

Ran Week 7 Day 1 of the Couch to 5k.  It was almost easy. I ran the last four laps..  Basically I felt like a runner.  And it's fabulous.  

Eating.. it happened.  Nothing too terrible though.

Completely failed on my 2 minute plank, which is a deviation from the program as it is.  

I think that's all!

February 19th, 2014

9:29pm

No running.

Did push ups as 10 table, 10 wall, 10 wall, 10 kneeling.  It kind of worked.  I think I'm going to drop back down after the program ends and start back up from like 5 and work slowly and steadily on form.

Ate pizza and Paleo cake. But hell I'm running tomorrow.

Got a lot done and feel pretty great about myself!

about to finish week 5 of Nutrition, Health and Lifestyle.  Overall this is just a good week!

February 20th, 2014

5:08pm

Well again I kind of sucked at eating, I had a free lunch so I had a cheeseburger (no pun of course) and french fries with ranch.  Then some kind of pie cake for dessert and two cookies.  I justified it by saying I was going to run, but in hindsight I really need to stop doing that because it makes my runs harder and it will make my goals harder to reach in the long run.  I need to start making myself lunches again.  It's just been hard when we're low on food and Jeff hasn't been cooking.  Luckily we're going shopping again Saturday.  So I just have to make do until then!  I'm not doing atrociously, just not to my usual standards.

I did week 7 day 2 of the couch to 5k.  Another 2.5 mile run.  It wasn't exactly EASY while I was running but nor did I ever feel like I needed to stop.  I think the crappy food isn't helping.  But I'm totally able to do it!  I can't wait for my first 5k!  Also I finished in just over 30 minutes, so my 5k time shouldn't be too too slow. Just not fast either.

I did squats, OHP and deadlifts.

Squats: 45lb x 5, 55lb x 5, 65lb x 5, 70lb x 4, 70lb x 3, 70lb x 5.  The discrepancy in reps was because my form felt weird so I kept messing with it.  I need to figure out what's right and STICK WITH IT.

OHP 45lb x 5, 45lb x5, 45lb x5, next time I need to try 50lb!

Deadlifts: 95lb x 5, 115lb x 5, I wanted to try 135lb but I felt fatigued by that point and just quit instead.  I'm not upset, I need to be easy on my body, especially when I'm running and lifting.

My lifts are still fun but I feel like my form is sloppy on the deadlifts and squats.  I'm not really sure how to fix it without someone to help me...

Day 20 of the Push-up / Plank challenge: today was 30 push ups so I did 10 kneeling, 10 off the wall, and 10 diamond off the wall.  I can't really stretch my arms over my head, my triceps are really sore, so I think that that is a sign that the push-ups are at least kind of working.  I was able to do a full 2 minute plank!  I did a dolphin two or three times but no actual dropping of the knees.  I think tomorrow maybe another 2 minutes and then 2:15.  Let's see

21 - 2:00

22 - 2:15

23 - 2:15

24 - 2:30

25 - 2:30

26 - rest

27 - 2:30

28 - 2:45

29 - 2:45

30 - 3:00

This is the program I'm going to try and follow.  At the end I may rewrite the whole thing as to what I think will be effective.  I think a 3 minute plank would still be a massive accomplishment.   Getting up to 5 is unreasonable.

February 21st, 2014

4:18pm

Last night Jeff and I made a late night run for food.   Of course it didn't end well.  

I went to yoga at 8am.  It was great.

I did a 2 minute plank, somewhat hard, but still worked well.  I'll move up to 2:15 tomorrow.

I did a ton of stretching.  I feel like I could maybe do a split in 6 weeks.  Pretty cool!

February 22nd, 2014

7:02pm

Haven't eaten anything bad yet today... and yesterday wasn't too bad after my morning breakfast sandwich.  I had eggs in the morning before a long workout, then some buffalo chicken, and now my boyfriend is making a Paleo shepherd's pie for dinner.  Should be interesting.  

Today was Week 7 Day 3 of Couch to 5k.  I felt a little groggy but ultimately good.  The grogginess could partially be attributed to drinking last night, though I didn't drink to oblivion so that's a good step in the right direction.

Then I did a strength workout. Here's how it went:

Squats: 45 x 5, 55 x 5, 65 x 5 x 3

My squats felt pretty good, my form felt solid, so I'm going to try and keep improving linearly. I'm disappointed I've lost so much strength from when I used to lift, but I'm starting to think that maybe some of it is in my head and I'm actually stronger than I think and my form is just making me cautious.  I'll try to video next time.

Bench: 45 x 5 x 3

I'm sure I could have benched more but since this was my first bench press since October I didn't want to overdo it.  Next time I'll do more =)

Deadlifts: 95 x 5, 115 x 5

I was pretty tired by the time I got to deadlifts so I didn't try to do anything progressive. I just wanted to work with my form a little and keep the movement loose.

Day 22 of the Push-up / Plank Challenge: I did 35 push ups, 10 off the bench, 10 off the wall, 10 kneeling, and 5 off the bench. I feel like the off the bench ones are the best so I'm going to try and do them more.  My plank was 2:15 and I had to drop my knees twice, but it was probably partially because it was immediately after my run.  So pretty good success.

February 23rd, 2014

10:00pm

Once again, my diet was HORRIFIC today.  I don't know what's wrong with me.  I'm going to have to try and be more cognizant of what I'm eating because I've gone really overboard since going off the Whole30.  So that's one thing I really need to work on.

No running today, or tomorrow! Nice little break.

I did all my stretches tonight.  They take me a little over 20 minutes, which I guess is a good thing because I'm taking my time and making some progress.  I already feel a little bit more flexible, but most importantly it's going to be important that I am keeping my legs flexible for all the running and lifting I do.  Plus I'm excited that one day I'll be able to do a split =)

Day 23 of the Push up / Plank Challenge: Well I did my 2:15 without dropping my knees, though I did quite a bit of dolphin, but I still consider it a success overall.  I did 20 push ups off the wall, then kneeling 10 x 2 for a total of 40.  It still is hard work on my arms but I know that eventually I'm going to have to start trying to do real ones.