Simon's Battle Log

Did a little bit more of the same stuff today although much higher volume.

1 set of can openers(arms were fried from yesterday in this position, barely even got into the hold)

1 set of 5 pull ups

6 sets of 7 pull ups

2 sets of 10 dips

2 sets of 12 dips

2 sets of 15 dips

Farmer's carry 4x across my gym floor and back

1 set of 10 handstand push ups

1 set of 12 handstand push ups

1 set of 10 handstand push ups

(4 plates this time on these. Significantly harder)

Upper body was sufficiently worked today. Tomorrow will be legs, maybe a few get ups, been missing those lately.

• Like 1

"I like you just the way you are" - Mr. Rogers

In Br0din's name we gain.

Squat day today.

Front Squat

3 sets of 5 @ 135

2 sets of 3 @ 175

Overhead Squat

3 sets of 5 @ 95(a little light, will up the weight next time to 105)

Back Squat

1 set of 3 @ 225

1 set of 2 @ 250

1 set of 1 @ 275(strength has definitely dropped a bit on squat, that's what I get for taking a break)

Turkish Get Up

3 sets of 1 @ 50(this was a little light as well, up to 55 next time)

• Like 2

I'm still trying to wrap my head around talking about all of my issues with a stranger. I really hope I end up going.

Don't hope. Just do it. It's like jumping off the high board at the pool. At first you are scared out of your wits, but after fact you realise there was really nothing to be afraid of. 

• Like 1

Current form: Chubby House Cat (lvl4)

Weight objective: 20%

S. 4 P. 6 E. 4 C. 7 I. 8 A. 4 L. 5

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

Forgot to update on the mental health side as well. My first session is Tuesday. Very nervous.

*hugs* the therapist is there to help you, if you know something they can do to help you relax more easily or a way to communicate so that you don't misinterpret things or feel uncomfortable (therapy language is not always blunt truth and can be difficult to interpret, but they are trying to get you to think through things...which for me isn't blunt enough, so I tell them up front, I wont get offended and I dont get nuanced conversation, so dont sugar coat shit with me) but ultimately, they are there to help you and they dont really expect you to be forthcoming right away, they just want to see a willingness to adhere to the treatment plan you set up. It took me a full year to really open up with my last therapist, and I went every week, and that was good enough, I showed up and tried to do any things she asked of me in sessions and homework assignments and whatnot. They are paid to be a non judgemental objective observer and give constructive feedback in order to help you, and if you dont like the way they do that, find someone new, but dont give up.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around talking about all of my issues with a stranger. I really hope I end up going.

Darling, you do that here every day :) Seriously, if it helps, wear sunglasses so they cant see your eyes, that lets me feel like im invisible and I forget that they can "see" me, and I can share more easily, you can also see about shifting your focus onto something else, like some of my very best sessions were when we were talking while I was coloring things because I was focused on the coloring and became less guarded and better able to articulate my emotions. You could draw or close your eyes or turn away from them so you arent looking at them directly. Whats the worst that can happen if you do go? You open yourself up to someone who is legally obligated to never mention it outside that room, and they dont help you in a way you like, so you find someone else and try again. Best case, you click instantly and can share your stuff like you are talking to a friend. Hell, sometimes if I knew I wasn't going to be able to verbalize my thoughts and feelings, for the shame I felt, or the fear, or whatever reason, that I wrote things down, and would read them out loud bc it was easier than saying them without it.

I really hope it goes well, and that you do go, and they help you in a great big way. If all else fails, you can pay me, then I can use that as therapy experience for my MSW program admissions application and on my resume ;):D

^hugs*

• Like 1

Druid Assassin Halfling

:) Druid  :)

Level 16, Current Quest: Bekah Returns

Spoiler

Your life does not get better by chance. It gets better by change.

- Jim Rohn

Wow. Thank you for that. All of that. It is obviously a little different to share my problems with internet strangers than real life strangers but you gave me a lot of helpful tips I never would have thought of in a million years. Thank you again. I'll definitely be updating my log with how it goes.

• Like 1

and along the vein of writing it down and reading it, if you are even too nervous for that at first, write it and let them read it even, they cant help if they dont know whats really wrong, so its important to be very honest and let it all out in the way that works best for you :)

Art therapy is my saving grace personally bc I feel in colors.

I'm glad I could help and will definitely be here cheering you on :)

Druid Assassin Halfling

Spoiler

- Jim Rohn

Seriously, if it helps, wear sunglasses so they cant see your eyes, that lets me feel like im invisible and I forget that they can "see" me, and I can share more easily, you can also see about shifting your focus onto something else, like some of my very best sessions were when we were talking while I was coloring things because I was focused on the coloring and became less guarded and better able to articulate my emotions. You could draw or close your eyes or turn away from them so you arent looking at them directly. 

I can second this, very emphatically. When I first started I had to avert eye contact pretty much the entire session. I had to either stare at the door or up at the ceiling in order to feel comfortable enough to share some extremely personal things that I had never told anybody else. All I ever got was either a nod, a probing question, or we moved on to the next topic. Never any negative reactions. I eventually got to the point where I could hold eye contact the entire time, joke and laugh about things that would have mortified me to say out loud before, and hold normal conversation with ease. It just didn't affect me anymore.

Whats the worst that can happen if you do go? You open yourself up to someone who is legally obligated to never mention it outside that room, and they dont help you in a way you like, so you find someone else and try again.

Also, this. And the silver lining of sharing with a therapist that doesn't work out? The next time is much easier.

Raevn

Level 2 Wood Elf Assassin

Challenges 1 | 2

“We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things. Not because they are easy, but because they are hard.†- John F. Kennedy

I have a question for you guys. If you are uncomfortable talking to a therapist face to face, do you think you would be more comfortable doing sessions via Skype or even maybe IM after a brief skype call for verification at the beginning of a session? I'm asking because that type of therapy certification is available here and I want to do it along with my MSW program, but I don't know if anyone but me would be willing to use that sort of platform for therapy. I think that for shy folks and Aspergers folks and home bound people it could give them access to treatment more easily and then it could be more open based on what Simon mentioned about internet strangers vs real life ones. What do you think?

Druid Assassin Halfling

Spoiler

- Jim Rohn

I have a question for you guys. If you are uncomfortable talking to a therapist face to face, do you think you would be more comfortable doing sessions via Skype or even maybe IM after a brief skype call for verification at the beginning of a session? I'm asking because that type of therapy certification is available here and I want to do it along with my MSW program, but I don't know if anyone but me would be willing to use that sort of platform for therapy. I think that for shy folks and Aspergers folks and home bound people it could give them access to treatment more easily and then it could be more open based on what Simon mentioned about internet strangers vs real life ones. What do you think?

Yes absolutely. That would cut a lot of the anxiety out.

• Like 1

Worked out today. Very nearly didn't but got my ass in anyway. Was underhydrated and that was a definite problem towards the end. I know better but oh well what's done is done. The theme of today's workout was push ups! Haven't done as many reps as I did today in months. Felt it for sure.

3 sets of 1 arm push ups: 16,12,9

3 sets of push ups w/plate on back: 14,11,10

3 sets of clapping push ups: 14,12,10

3 min rest for all sets. We'll see if my buddy Dom comes a knocking tomorrow.

yup :) I realized sometime last year that being that push ups are a bodyweight exercise and my bodyweight is not a small number, I really am pretty strong bc even knee push ups use a larger amount of bodyweight to do for me than a smaller person maybe doing regular ones, so I dont feel bad about it anymore.

and one day I am going to do Aztec(I think thats the name?) push ups :D

Druid Assassin Halfling

Spoiler

- Jim Rohn