• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Gainsdalf the Whey

The Tenacious Test of Toughness 2014!

Have been.  Even with it, my grip has been failing up towards my PR.  Just gotta keep working on Grip.  

Also hook grip helps as well. I hook grip both hands on PR attempts. 

Deadlift double overhand (DOH) for as long as you can when you deadlift, only then should you switch to alternate, i've managed to DOH 87% of my 1RM doing this, i'd be surprised if most people (due to a lack of willingness to put up with lower weights and making the whole thing harder) could do 70% (FYI not egotistical just what i've experienced)

Yeah, 70% is right around where I can't do a single DOH, even though I train like you and don't switch until I need to.

Also hook grip helps as well. I hook grip both hands on PR attempts. 

My experiments with hook grip have been not good.  I'm not sure if I just suck at it, my hands are too small (which the more I read, the more I get the feeling that there is no such thing), or I'm just doing it wrong.  It's on my list of things to work on, but just low on the list right now.  

Deadlift double overhand (DOH) for as long as you can when you deadlift, only then should you switch to alternate, i've managed to DOH 87% of my 1RM doing this, i'd be surprised if most people (due to a lack of willingness to put up with lower weights and making the whole thing harder) could do 70% (FYI not egotistical just what i've experienced)

Yeah, 70% is right around where I can't do a single DOH, even though I train like you and don't switch until I need to.

I've done 1 rep @ 275 with DOH and my PR is 375 so that's right about where I'm at.  And I do all my sets up to around 225 with DOH.  All stuff I've read before, just right now, my grip actually is very weak.  So it's something I need to work on.  Appreciate the tips though.  

do you switch when it gets hard or when it starts slipping? (not in a dangerous way, just in a 'feck only the tips of my fingers are holding this damn thing' sort of way) i also only use some soft drawing chalk if i chalk up instead of proper lifting chalk, maybe that helps too

Count me in - somebody's gotta come bottom!

I hadn't done a squat or deadlift up until last week, and i'm only picking my oly weights up tomorrow !

Cheers

Karl (getting his excuses in early.....)

Count me in - somebody's gotta come bottom!

I hadn't done a squat or deadlift up until last week, and i'm only picking my oly weights up tomorrow !

Cheers

Karl (getting his excuses in early.....)

The oly lifts are not a mandatory portion of the event. They, and OHP, are to be considered secondary events.

The oly lifts are not a mandatory portion of the event. They, and OHP, are to be considered secondary events.

Sorry - meant a proper set of weights as opposed to the vinyl & 1" bar i've been using upto now. Will just be doing the main 3.

Who enters the details on the spreadsheet, btw. 

Cheers

Karl

You can enter your name and weight and what not. If you're at the TTTT, we'll have the spreadsheet up on a tablet or something. But, the sheet is all manual entry.

The columns that are math based are locked down so that no one messes up the formulas. 

I am on my 10th week, but this sounds like fun. Just gotta figure out when to take a day off SL 5x5 to do it.

Meh, just make it one of your regular lifting days, especially this early in your experience. Do you normal warm up sets, then just start doing increasing singles until they start getting difficult and call the first difficult one attempt one. We don't want you newer guys going balls to the wall until you are used to heavier weights. If you aren't used to heavy singles, you're not used to the form slips that happen and how to adjust and knowing when to quit. New guys should be conservative.

• Like 2

Meh, just make it one of your regular lifting days, especially this early in your experience. Do you normal warm up sets, then just start doing increasing singles until they start getting difficult and call the first difficult one attempt one. We don't want you newer guys going balls to the wall until you are used to heavier weights. If you aren't used to heavy singles, you're not used to the form slips that happen and how to adjust and knowing when to quit. New guys should be conservative.

Thanks, Gainsdalf. I was just about to ask about this very same thing when you read my mind. I wasn't sure how the warmups worked in. I am off work for MLK Day on Monday, so I am going to the gym early, with a spotter, and get this done. Can't wait.

make sure your spotter is spotting you, not trying to sneak in a back day

God yes. Meaning tell them not to touch the weight until you tell them to. It's like no one has ever done a real heavy weight on bench and the instant you slow down the rep they just lift it. Pisses me off so damn much.

i've had no more than 4 people spot me properly, some guys who you'd think would know better gently hold onto the bar with one hand, even if it takes no weight it's a big mental thing

1:23-1:33, best spot ever

I liked him until he got anywhere near the bar on attempt 3, then I got angry. BTW, dat squat depth be solid bro.

close like that i don't, mind minor mental boost and he's about 2 inches away so no hope of touching but there for an easy catch (that was a damn grind that one)

ta duck ;) i think at that time i did a lot of bottom position pause squats so i couldn't help but sink right down

Well, I just finished and posted my results. Clubhouse leader by default!

Even though the day wasn't perfect for me, I passed a couple of big milestones for me (1,000 lb total and 300 wilks).

Squats

1 - 355

2 - 365

3 - 375

Squatting has always been my best lift and I probably even had 385 in me, if I executed with great form. As it was, I barely got the 375 up because it came forward on me. Still, much better than my previous PR of 345.

Bench

1 - 235

2 - 240

3 - Passed

The 240 was ridiculously grindy, so I figured I was at my max there and didn't try a third attempt. Previous PR was 225.

Deadlift

1 - 405

2 - 415 (Fail)

3 - Passed

In this one, I only tied my previous PR of 405 so I feel like I left something on the table with my attempt selection, training, and/or conditioning because I was feeling pretty beat by this point. In hindsight, I wish I would have picked 415 for the first attempt because it just woudn't budge. I often only get one really heavy (for me) DL, so maybe I need to work in heavy singles work more.

Total

1,020 lbs

That's a 45 lb PR and up 140 lbs from the Fall Brawl for it All. I'll take it. Look forward to seeing the other totals. Good luck!

• Like 3