• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Gainsdalf the Whey

The Tenacious Test of Toughness 2014!

Got up at 6am and did my max lifts. I did 170 on the squats, 170 on the bench, and 235, or 225, on the dead lift. (Lbs) Not sure about the 235 on the dead lift. I didn't completely drop it, but it was slipping from my left hand as I came down. I will let you guys judge. Either way, I broke 55o, which was sort of my goal. Now I have something to shoot for next time.

Got parallel, but not below. Got to keep working on depth.

225 deadlift, little over body weight. (1st time) Weighed 216.4 this morning.

235 dead lift. Let me know if it is a fail.

Who's "phil"?  First, looks like he entered lbs instead of kg, but a 750 Squat at 220lb?!?!  Didn't know NF had anyone at that level.  

Well, I just finished and posted my results. Clubhouse leader by default!

Even though the day wasn't perfect for me, I passed a couple of big milestones for me (1,000 lb total and 300 wilks).

Squats

1 - 355

2 - 365

3 - 375

Squatting has always been my best lift and I probably even had 385 in me, if I executed with great form. As it was, I barely got the 375 up because it came forward on me. Still, much better than my previous PR of 345.

Bench

1 - 235

2 - 240

3 - Passed

The 240 was ridiculously grindy, so I figured I was at my max there and didn't try a third attempt. Previous PR was 225.

Deadlift

1 - 405

2 - 415 (Fail)

3 - Passed

In this one, I only tied my previous PR of 405 so I feel like I left something on the table with my attempt selection, training, and/or conditioning because I was feeling pretty beat by this point. In hindsight, I wish I would have picked 415 for the first attempt because it just woudn't budge. I often only get one really heavy (for me) DL, so maybe I need to work in heavy singles work more.

Total

1,020 lbs

That's a 45 lb PR and up 140 lbs from the Fall Brawl for it All. I'll take it. Look forward to seeing the other totals. Good luck!

Enjoyed the write up!  Sounds like you are about 3-4 months ahead of me in all the lifts, but also 30lbs lighter!  Nice work.  

Got up at 6am and did my max lifts. I did 170 on the squats, 170 on the bench, and 235, or 225, on the dead lift. (Lbs) Not sure about the 235 on the dead lift. I didn't completely drop it, but it was slipping from my left hand as I came down. I will let you guys judge. Either way, I broke 55o, which was sort of my goal. Now I have something to shoot for next time.

One thing you might want to be leary of is your arms on your deadlift.  It's hard to tell from this angle, but it looks like your closest arm, which I believe is your "under" hand isn't completely straight.  That can cause issues with bicep tears.  Just something to be mindful of.

Otherwise great work SD!  And I'd say the 235 rep counted.  

Who's "phil"?  First, looks like he entered lbs instead of kg, but a 750 Squat at 220lb?!?!  Didn't know NF had anyone at that level.  

I want to say it is spam? Because it's all in pounds, and they didn't enter a date. And the age is listed as 51. So unless they come forward we may delete it. 

Nice work! Way to push through the sticking point on that squat. It feels good sometimes to push through those total grinders and make it. I wasn't able to watch the 235 DL, but the 225 looked easy!

• Like 1

I want to say it is spam? Because it's all in pounds, and they didn't enter a date. And the age is listed as 51. So unless they come forward we may delete it. 

They took my slot on the sheet... gonna take it back now.

Treadmill

• 2:30 @ 3MPH
  • 2:30 @ 6MPH

Squat

• 5 @ 45lbs
  • 5 @ 135lbs
  • 3 @ 185lbs
  • 2 @ 225lbs
  • 1 @ 275lbs
  • 1 @ 325lbs
  • 1 @ 335lbs (failure)

Notes:  Really disappointed.  Everything just felt off at 335.  Re-adjusted like 3 times with the weight on my back (as you can see in the vid).  Felt super heavy.  Disappointed since I just did a 330 as part of my working sets 3 weeks ago.  Did 345 6 weeks ago.  Not sure if it wasn't enough warming up or possibly not enough time between sets.  Guess my 2 weeks off hurt me more then I thought.  Didn't attempt a 3rd as I felt frustrated.  

Bench

• 5 @ 135lbs
  • 2 @ 185lbs
  • 1 @ 205lbs
  • 1 @ 215lbs
  • 1 @ 230lbs (failure)

Notes:  Went very conservative here.  Didn't think I'd have a spot, until the last rep when a guy showed up, but I wasn't clear enough when telling him how to spot, so while I think the rep would have went up, I'm counting it as a fail.

Treadmill

• 7:00 @ 3MPH

Deadlift

• 5 @ 135lbs
  • 2 @ 225lbs
  • 1 @ 315lbs
  • 1 @ 335lbs

Notes:  Didn't attempt a 3rd as I was running long with my workout and I was doing this over lunch.  Plus I doubt my grip would have handled anything heavier.  Had to delay (hence the 7:00 minute treadmill walk prior) as the guy who spotted my final set of bench wanted to bust a couple sets of bench and I didn't want to hog the only bar for a full hour and half.  Once he was done, I got back to the bar, and grip was exactly the limiter I thought it would be.  No surprise given the previous workouts (pulled a 375 with straps pretty easy).

Overhead Press

• 1 @ 135lbs
  • 1 @ 145lbs
  • 1 @ 150lbs

Notes:  Hammered these out pretty fast.  Happy about what I did.  Been consistently at 145 for the past year or so.  Given my bench hasn't changed much either, it's no surprise this hasn't really changed.  

They took my slot on the sheet... gonna take it back now.

Thought I remembered somebody having "readily" as their date.

You could just do the 750 Squat and then not even worry about changing it.   :tongue:

Phew! Had to test my mettle on this max out. Wasn't feeling too great over the weekend and calories were super low so that definitely affected me coming into today. Video will be forthcoming but I'll throw my numbers up now.

Bodyweight :160

Bench Press

Attempt 1: 295

Attempt 2: 305(fail)

Attempt 3: 305

Still hit 100 wilks like I wanted but it was a lot harder than eat should have been considering my recent numbers.

before I start... I should have read the rules MUCH more closely...

I didn't see this

You get three attempts in squat, three attempts in bench press, and three attempts in dead lift, in that order.

and I didn't do them in that order... because when I got to the gym the squat rack was in use (by the guy who does an hour worth of squats) and my spotter was on a time constraint and I don't feel comfortable asking hour squat guy to work in (because he watches me... and it's WEIRD...) 

so if I am disqualified I understand (not that I am going to WIN anyways)

and I didn't see this... 

• Lift order is squat attempt 1, squat attempt 2, squat attempt 3, bench attempt 1, bench attempt 2, bench attempt 3, DL attempt 1, DL attempt 2, DL attempt 3

so I just started lifting and doing sets until I got heavy (for me) and when I couldn't do any more I called that my max... so again... if I am disqualified I will delete my numbers... I know for next time and I will do it right next time... I don't know that I will have gym time that coincide when my son (my spotter) isn't at school... and I am sure that these are true numbers and I won't do any better if I do it again :)

so here is my write up as I did it... 
(all numbers are in lbs... but I switched to kg for the spreadsheet)

barbell bench press

Set 1 : 45.0x5 - warm up - easy peasy
Set 2 : 65.0x5 - still warming up - fun times
Set 3 : 85.0x 5 - getting heavy - but no struggle
Set 4 : 90.0x5 - a little shaky - but I got it up five times so I was super impressed!
Set 5 : 95.0x2 - holy cow!! PR!!  super shaky
Set 6 : 105.0x1 - FAIL!!! I got it to come down all nice and easy (ish) but I could only lift it like a quarter inch... I was so super frustrated!!!
Set 7 : 100.0x1 - but!!! I did this one... it was dirty... and I needed help to rack it when I got it up... 

Barbell Deadlift

Set 1 : 45.0x5 -  warm up - easy peasy
Set 2 : 65.0x5 still warming up - again fun times
Set 3 : 95.0x5 - nothing doing - still very easy
Set 4 : 115.0x5 - starting to get a smidge heavy but not a struggle 
Set 5 : 135.0x5 - eh yeah... I felt this one a little... but it was still nice and smooth :)
Set 6 : 155.0x3 - figured I would start doing smaller sets because this one felt a little rough
Set 7 : 165.0x3 - this one was.... it was like WOAH I am lifting something heavy here! (also a PR)
Set 8 : 175.0x2  - this one was like HEY! YO! what are you doing to me?!
Set 9 : 185.0x2 - this set was like one - HOLD HOLD (think about it am I done?? hey! I should be! WAIT I CAN DO IT!!) and one more!

Barbell Full Squat

Set 1 : 45.0x5 - started low because I have been having issues with my foot... and last week I had to bail on 45's... they were fine... 
Set 2 : 65.0x5 - I was worried about this one because of having to bail last week.... it was ok (ok enough that I decided to do 95 on my next try)
Set 3 : 95.0x5 - this one was heavy... and I had a lotta sweat... but I still got 5 reps... was going to do 135 next but I wasn't feeling it so I did 115)
Set 4 : 115.0x3 - really heavy... but I got 3... I was beet red and struggling to stand on the third... but I felt good enough for another larger go
Set 5 : 135.0x2 - this was "OH HOLY HELL THIS WAS SO SUPER HEAVY I DON'T KNOW ABOUT ANY MORE" and this set was like one - HOLD HOLD (think about it am I done?? hey! I should be! WAIT I CAN DO IT!!) and one more!

Pretty sure you scared the shit out of your spotter... nice lifts though. 

Thanks. I think that was the dude next to the guy I had videoing actually. I'm surprised no one's complained about my screaming yet lol

Thanks. I think that was the dude next to the guy I had videoing actually. I'm surprised no one's complained about my screaming yet lol

Don't go to Planet "Fitness"

Edit: Also, nice bench!

Here's the numbers from my first try this morning.

SQ- 505 EZPZ

BP- 330 Smoke show

DL- 505 Grinder but I did it off a 3" deficit

I've got two more "Max" days left before the end of the comp and will update as I go.

Funny that I'm in 3rd in the Big 4 standings despite being the only one to complete an OH Press, so far.  Welcome to Shamesville, population, me.   :)

Still hit 100 wilks like I wanted but it was a lot harder than eat should have been considering my recent numbers.

What's your PR on bench?

Funny that I'm in 3rd in the Big 4 standings despite being the only one to complete an OH Press, so far.  Welcome to Shamesville, population, me.   :)

What's your PR on bench?

PR is 315 but my wilks at the time was only a point higher as I was heavier. I feel stronger now this time around. I was eating a shit ton of weight gainer and was on creatine so the gains weren't "real". Numbers tend to dip a little after I go off creatine but it's great to bust through a plateau. Like I said calories were really light a few days beforehand. I was within inches of 310 last week and had I pushed it really hard the next couple until the end of the comp I would've hit that for sure and possibly 315 as well but I just need a break from super heavy lifting for a while. I'll come back to it in a few months.