• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Gainsdalf the Whey

The Tenacious Test of Toughness 2014!

Sounds like a great opportunity get some new 1rms! Definitely will sign up after I get off work..

posted from my awesome G2 using Tapatalk... probably goofing off at work or on the throne.

Correct. Gotta use your own grip strength :)

Damn! I have dinky hands.. this is gonna set me back. :[

posted from my awesome G2 using Tapatalk... probably goofing off at work or on the throne.

@alienjenn, bit of advice for next time, do less reps, its no wonder you failed the 105 bench if you did 5 at 90 and 2 at 95, personally i'd of thought 80 x 3, 100 x 1(maybe a 90 x 1 if you really weren't sure) then 105 x 1, with the deadlift and squat all your doubles and triples would of been better off as singles, it means you're less tired from all the lifting beforehand giving you greater chance to lift bigger numbers

i'll be posting on sunday, i was due to be off but overtime :D means i'm up at 04:30 and lifting at around 15:00, combined with my slightly tendonitisy elbows i'll hope to at least match my previous lifts

@alienjenn, bit of advice for next time, do less reps, its no wonder you failed the 105 bench if you did 5 at 90 and 2 at 95, personally i'd of thought 80 x 3, 100 x 1(maybe a 90 x 1 if you really weren't sure) then 105 x 1, with the deadlift and squat all your doubles and triples would of been better off as singles, it means you're less tired from all the lifting beforehand giving you greater chance to lift bigger numbers

i'll be posting on sunday, i was due to be off but overtime :D means i'm up at 04:30 and lifting at around 15:00, combined with my slightly tendonitisy elbows i'll hope to at least match my previous lifts

The amount of rest is significant as well and we don't know how much she had. I've made PR's on twice the volume working the same percentages as Jenn. If it was a higher volume than usual it was a mistake but I don't see anything wrong with it if it was standard for her.

so i signed up. and wanted to ask if this belt i have is okay to use..? it's not a leather belt, it's made of foam... i went with cheap for the time being since my school books were so goddamn expensive. T_T.. at least it's pretty pink. if it's not okay, i'll just try without any equipment. :) that sounds like fun too..

ill try to record my attempts.. would be cool to see the form as well.

so belt check? yes? no?

The amount of rest is significant as well and we don't know how much she had. I've made PR's on twice the volume working the same percentages as Jenn. If it was a higher volume than usual it was a mistake but I don't see anything wrong with it if it was standard for her.

I generally do 5 sets of 5 (increasing weights) when I lift... so doing 2-3 was only a little for me... 

I rest 60-90 (ish) seconds between sets... sometimes up to 2-3 min... depends on if someone else needs to work in... or if I am sending a particularly long text ;)

I generally do 5 sets of 5 (increasing weights) when I lift... so doing 2-3 was only a little for me... 

I rest 60-90 (ish) seconds between sets... sometimes up to 2-3 min... depends on if someone else needs to work in... or if I am sending a particularly long text ;)

60 seconds is waaaay too short of a rest for those percentages. Those last 3 sets should have had between 3-5 minutes of rest. It's a long time and you might get bored, I do, but it takes a while for your body to recover operating closely to a max. If I do a true 5 rep max it's literally impossible to repeat it resting 60 seconds because my body just hasn't recovered it's full strength yet. Warm ups are a little different because you're obviously not using all of your strength but for those heavy sets rest it girl! Time can be an issue if you do it this way though, obviously, and doing it for all 3 lifts would make a really long workout. You've got maybe 2 sets to spare on bench and several on squat so you can trim that down a little to add time for the extra rest the way Timmy suggested. I would definitely recommend trying again. You'll be amazed how much stronger you feel with the extra rest.

60 seconds is waaaay too short of a rest for those percentages. Those last 3 sets should have had between 3-5 minutes of rest. It's a long time and you might get bored, I do, but it takes a while for your body to recover operating closely to a max. If I do a true 5 rep max it's literally impossible to repeat it resting 60 seconds because my body just hasn't recovered it's full strength yet. Warm ups are a little different because you're obviously not using all of your strength but for those heavy sets rest it girl! Time can be an issue if you do it this way though, obviously, and doing it for all 3 lifts would make a really long workout. You've got maybe 2 sets to spare on bench and several on squat so you can trim that down a little to add time for the extra rest the way Timmy suggested. I would definitely recommend trying again. You'll be amazed how much stronger you feel with the extra rest.

I might... I am taking it easy though because the serious cold snap is causing my arthritis to make moving difficult... :(

Ouch that's no fun. Well at least you know for the future :)

yeah... it was kinda stupid to test maxes and such when I *KNEW* this cold/wet front was coming... 

sigh :)

Eh lifting enough weight that could potentially crush and kill you requires a little bit of stupidity anyway :P

I never thought of it that way ;)

(sent by the phone. .. all mistakes are the phones fault)

hopefully i'll be going to croatia for the world champs in june, i've only just started like but we've only got a small team and this isn't what this threads about :P

so i signed up. and wanted to ask if this belti have is okay to use..? it's not a leather belt, it's made of foam... i went with cheap for the time being since my school books were so goddamn expensive. T_T.. at least it's pretty pink. if it's not okay, i'll just try without any equipment. :) that sounds like fun too..

ill try to record my attempts.. would be cool to see the form as well.

so belt check? yes? no?

What matters is that you have a fairly wide, stable surface against which your abs can contract. The foam worries me, honestly. Maybe they intend for you to contract against the strap through the foam and that provides the resistance, but that sounds less than ideal to me. You'd have to work with the give in the resistance of the cushion and then through that to the narrow surface of the strap. It just wouldn't be optimal. It might be better than nothing, but it's not what I personally would recommend.

If you haven't been using a belt, don't use one just for a competition.  It takes a while to get used to it and to develop the correct breathing technique.  All 'regulation' belts that I've seen are solid leather.  The only variance is how they close (1 tang,2 tangs or lever). 

I did my quad T lifts this morning.  They went as follows.   

Squats:

315X1

345X1 (Accidental PR)

355XFail

Bench:

205X1

215X1

225XFail (Actually I didn't even attempt it, there weren't any spotters around and today was not a good day to die)

Deadlift:

405X1

435X1

455XFail

Total:  995lbs

So here are my thoughts.  I was flustered the whole time I was in the gym, there were a lot of people in there and it was F'ing with my chi.  I messed up on squats, I meant to lift 330 for my second lift, but loaded up 345, which is a new PR.  So I  decided to ride that wave and got stapled on my third attempt, I might could have saved it, but it would have been a grinder.  My bench was ok considering I haven't benched regularly for four or five months now, that's only 20lbs below my old max.  Deadlift was ok, but I got flustered again.  By this point the gym had cleared out pretty much, but three different groups of people came and started lifting right around me.  And two guys were doing quarter front squat on the smith machine.  It's hard to stay focused with that level of crazy happening. All in all, not my best session ever, but I powered through it and got a PR.

2014-01-25 09:00

Duration: 1 hour

Bodyweight: 235 lbs

Squat

• 455 lbs x 1 reps
  • 495 lbs x 1 reps
  • 525 lbs x 1 reps
Paused Close Grip Bench Press
  • 315 lbs x 1 reps
  • 335 lbs x 1 reps
  • 345 lbs x 1 reps
Deadlift
  • 495 lbs x 1 reps
  • 525 lbs x 1 reps
  • 545 lbs x 1 reps
Notes: Didn't feel 100%. I had a low grade fever last night and a little vomiting episode. Nevertheless I figured I'd give it a go. Squats felt misserable and slow but both the bench and deadlift felt solid.

If you haven't been using a belt, don't use one just for a competition.  It takes a while to get used to it and to develop the correct breathing technique.  All 'regulation' belts that I've seen are solid leather.  The only variance is how they close (1 tang,2 tangs or lever). 

i've been using this foam belt for the last 3 weeks. it's good for what it is..  since $$ is a little tight, i have a small "momo's belt fund" going so i can pull a few bucks every week..  i'll probably have enough for it mid feb..  hopefully i can hang with the real big boys soon.. i have my sights on a best belt. i like their fuschia better!

What matters is that you have a fairly wide, stable surface against which your abs can contract. The foam worries me, honestly. Maybe they intend for you to contract against the strap through the foam and that provides the resistance, but that sounds less than ideal to me. You'd have to work with the give in the resistance of the cushion and then through that to the narrow surface of the strap. It just wouldn't be optimal. It might be better than nothing, but it's not what I personally would recommend.

i do my warmups and some heavier ranges without it, i throw it on mainly for back support in my heavy work sets only. though, you are right in that it doesn't have much of a stomach support, even when i have it tight that the black edges touch. then it just feels like im being strangled at that point. but it's definitely better than nothing at the moment. it is comfortable at the moment to lift a little heavier.. but i will need a better belt (perhaps a best belt) if i want to max out the full potential in my legs and gluts. i'm pretty blessed with a sweet lower body. i hated it growing up because other girls had little colt legs.. and i have chunli thighs and radish legs.. but they are strong as f*ck. and i love them now.

so is it ok i use it for this meet? i was reading through the rulebook and it says only leather belts are ok.  im kinda hoping you guys aren't as strict. pretty please?

Hey I can't edit the sheet and all my squats are in wrong. Helps!!!

Edited... There were two of me in the sheet. Wrong me is there but I took my name out. I can't delete the values.

Hey I can't edit the sheet and all my squats are in wrong. Helps!!!

Edited... There were two of me in the sheet. Wrong me is there but I took my name out. I can't delete the values.

2 clines might be an issue.