Matt_72 almost ready to woot

I've been absent for a good while now and thought that I would check back in.

The last few months have been pretty taxing. I did a 10km fun run with my sister, brother and niece in late Feb and it went well. Straight after that I started having more episodes of my irregular heartbeat. For reference it's not in and of itself dangerous in someone my age and relative fitness however it is physically and mentally debilitating. I can't run while I'm out of rhythm and when I have a run planned I fear up until the time of the run I might be out of rhythm. And the same goes for anything I can work while having an episode but it's not comfortable and it's like a V8 with 2 blocked cylinders. The episodes lasted between 6 hours and 48 hours and were coming once or twice a week. So potentially I could spend more time irregular than regular in a week. I'd first been diagnosed 11 years ago and had a full 12 months between the first and second episodes and it became more frequent over time.

So after all that I decided to have a procedure where they run a wire up my femoral artery into my heart and they laser the problem area to create a blockage so that the faulty signals don't get through. My fear of this operation had no equal since I first heard of it 10 years ago and it took me that long to accept that I needed to do it.

So I did last Friday. The surgeon was very happy with how it went and with any luck we have fixed it up. There is a chance that I might still need medication to control it or even another ablation but to know that I faced this fear to improve my life and those of my wife and daughter is success enough at this stage but fingers crossed too right?

So I'm limping a little and just now getting back to some sort of proper sleep patterns. My wife is off work this week looking after me and next week I'm on my own and that's when I will put together my action plan to get me running again. Faster and stronger than before!

Thanks for reading if you got this far.

• Like 1

Level 8 Satyr Scout

STR 11|DEX 5|STA 10|CON 9|WIS 12|CHA 5

Previous Challenge

Woot What?

MFP

Endomondo

Wow, Matt, I was wondering where you got off to, but that's a pretty good justification! 

Here's to a speedy recovery - good for you for taking the plunge, I'm sure that was an incredibly difficult decision, but it sounds like it really needed to happen. Hopefully it makes the difference it's supposed to.

It's really good to see you around here again - keep us updated!

• Like 1

Race: Wood Elf

Level 20

Class: Ranger

Strength: 45 | Dexterity: 15 | Stamina: 44 | Constitution: 29 | Wisdom: 35 | Charisma: 28

BATTLE LOG   EPIC QUEST  CHALLENGE

Great to see you putting your health first. I'm sure you will put together a great plan. Don't rush it though, make sure you give yourself time to recover. Good luck!

and the lamb shanks look so good I'm putting them on my dinner plan for the week, thanks :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Skywalker

Progress woot: Skywalker's success

Character Profile:  Skywalker

Blog:  Just Get Moving

Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it!

Good morning fellow Rebels.

How are we all going now that Spring seems to have sprung?

The Melbourne Marathon Festival is on in a couple of weeks and I have signed up for the 10km this year. I had signed up last year but had some episodes of AF (irregular heartbeat) in the lead up to the day and wasn't able to run. I had an operation in May and am now looking forward to getting to do my run this year.

As a part of that I have committed to making it mean something by raising donations for an organisation doing extremely important work to help others.

If you feel so inclined, and are able, donations of any amount would be gratefully received.

Thanks

:)

http://run4refugees15.gofundraise.com.au/page/Matt72

Level 8 Satyr Scout

Previous Challenge

Woot What?

MFP

Endomondo

Mmm! I am so very jealous.

My mother-in-law and I ordered our seeds today... We are dreaming of such bounteous harvests!

What are you going to grow?

It's meant to be Autumn here tomorrow but it's hot for at least the next week.

I've got cabbages, brussel sprouts and okra all doing well in my seedling trays. Hoping to plant them out in the next week or two.

Level 8 Satyr Scout

Previous Challenge

Woot What?

MFP

Endomondo

It's been a while! The short version is I'm going well.

I've got a fun run coming up on Sunday where I hope to get through 10km relatively unscathed.

With these fun runs you get to choose a charity to raise money for.

I chose the Cancer Council Victoria as my charity to raise funds for because one of my bosses, Nigel, has been battling multiple myeloma for about 3 years now. He's put up an amazing fight and up until about 3 months ago was only missing work on days he was receiving treatment.

He's been in Royal Melbourne for the last 3 months and we received the news over the weekend that he's moving to palliative care later this week.

If you have a couple of dollars to spare it would be greatly appreciated. I'll be back after the run with s more substantial update!

https://runmelbourne2016.everydayhero.com/au/mattruns

d3e8b9575f91c74a0c9fe658840cd94e.jpg

Level 8 Satyr Scout

Previous Challenge

Woot What?

MFP

Endomondo