Paleo and Protein Powder?

proVoke

Hi there

so as of this week i have gone paleo, never thought that would happen! but so far im enjoying it and coming up with awesome meal combinations.

I just wanted to find out if anyone doing paleo takes protein powder? all the sites ive found say that protein supplements are not paleo. should i then stop drinking the shakes? the paleo diet is just the final thing i can try because nothing else is working and im really hoping this will finally help me lose weight! so i wana try not cheat at all.

then another question, when i search for tahini it says its not paleo...but i made my own which is just roasted sesame seeds, olive oil and a little salt. Surely my version would then be paleo?

Hi there

so as of this week i have gone paleo, never thought that would happen! but so far im enjoying it and coming up with awesome meal combinations.

I just wanted to find out if anyone doing paleo takes protein powder? all the sites ive found say that protein supplements are not paleo. should i then stop drinking the shakes? the paleo diet is just the final thing i can try because nothing else is working and im really hoping this will finally help me lose weight! so i wana try not cheat at all.

then another question, when i search for tahini it says its not paleo...but i made my own which is just roasted sesame seeds, olive oil and a little salt. Surely my version would then be paleo?

First off, many paleo people just do whey protein and handle it fine. However, if you want something strictly paleo, you can use egg white powder. 

Tahini, actually, should be paleo. Especially if you make it yourself. Just beware that it's high in PUFA and omega 6 which contribute to inflammation.

Hi there

This is what caught my eye....

Final thing? Nothing else? Have you calculated and tested to find your caloric intake by logging calories precisely (that means using a scale to weight your food, not eyeballing) and measuring results??

I'm assuming this is not the case for you since it's how you calculate how much you need in calories to either lose, gain or stay the say weight. Before jumping on "diets" and thinking "Oh, lot's of people lost weight on paleo, if I eat paleo, I'll lose weight!", please take the time to find your maintenance caloric intake with testing, and not with online calculators, they're just there to give you a rough estimate. I'm eating 90% paleo, but yet I'm gaining about half a pound a week. If you're eating paleo, but eating 500 calories a day more than your maintenance, you'll gain a pound a week, it's simple math that has been proven time and time again.

I'm not saying you have not done this, I'm just assuming based on the information provided in your post. If you have any questions or anything, do not hesitate to contact me.

It's not 80% diet, 20% exercise, it's 100% diet, 100% exercise. Give it your all.

My journey (Date - Total - BF % - LBM)

2012-01-01 - 242 - 35% - 157

2013-12-15 - 172 - 10% - 155

2016-05-01 - 231 - 25% - 173

First off, many paleo people just do whey protein and handle it fine. However, if you want something strictly paleo, you can use egg white powder. 

Tahini, actually, should be paleo. Especially if you make it yourself. Just beware that it's high in PUFA and omega 6 which contribute to inflammation.

awesome thanks.

i will make sure i limit my tahini intake then :)

This is what caught my eye....

Final thing? Nothing else? Have you calculated and tested to find your caloric intake by logging calories precisely (that means using a scale to weight your food, not eyeballing) and measuring results??

I'm assuming this is not the case for you since it's how you calculate how much you need in calories to either lose, gain or stay the say weight. Before jumping on "diets" and thinking "Oh, lot's of people lost weight on paleo, if I eat paleo, I'll lose weight!", please take the time to find your maintenance caloric intake with testing, and not with online calculators, they're just there to give you a rough estimate. I'm eating 90% paleo, but yet I'm gaining about half a pound a week. If you're eating paleo, but eating 500 calories a day more than your maintenance, you'll gain a pound a week, it's simple math that has been proven time and time again.

I'm not saying you have not done this, I'm just assuming based on the information provided in your post. If you have any questions or anything, do not hesitate to contact me.

i have tried counting every single calorie that i take in. i have been to doctors and trainers who put me on diets and yeah not helping. its a recent problem im having and by that i mean within the last 6 months. i have pcos and am on insulin resistance meds and hoping that combined with paleo will get the pcos under control.

basically i used to eat what i want and stayed around 52 kgs..from 2010 to mid 2012 i went up to 58 kgs so slow weight gain which accompanies a serious relationship :P.

i have then gained 10kgs since May last year WHILE ON DIET! and i have been strict with myself since then and still just keep gaining.

so ive gone paleo but im still counting calories and weighing everything i eat

awesome thanks.

i will make sure i limit my tahini intake then :)

i have tried counting every single calorie that i take in. i have been to doctors and trainers who put me on diets and yeah not helping. its a recent problem im having and by that i mean within the last 6 months. i have pcos and am on insulin resistance meds and hoping that combined with paleo will get the pcos under control.

basically i used to eat what i want and stayed around 52 kgs..from 2010 to mid 2012 i went up to 58 kgs so slow weight gain which accompanies a serious relationship :tongue:.

i have then gained 10kgs since May last year WHILE ON DIET! and i have been strict with myself since then and still just keep gaining.

so ive gone paleo but im still counting calories and weighing everything i eat

But you haven't found your maintenance caloric intake? It's the point of counting calories, if you're counting calories just to count them it's pointless. Also when counting you calories, did you weight your food (or measure) every single bit?

It's not 80% diet, 20% exercise, it's 100% diet, 100% exercise. Give it your all.

But you haven't found your maintenance caloric intake? It's the point of counting calories, if you're counting calories just to count them it's pointless. Also when counting you calories, did you weight your food (or measure) every single bit?

yes found my maintenance intake and intake to lose weight etc etc and from multiple sources. i measure every single bit i even measure the lettuce i put in my salad.

yes found my maintenance intake and intake to lose weight etc etc and from multiple sources. i measure every single bit i even measure the lettuce i put in my salad.

See that's the problem, you need to find your maintenance from one source, and only one. That source being yourself, with testing, trying  and experimenting. Let's say internet tells you 1500-1600 from various sites, you need to test that 1500-1600. If you see you're gaining weight, try 1400-1500, if still gaining weight, try 1300-1400. You will eventually find your maintenance, the internet cannot give you your maintenance. I'm also sorry I'm being really direct with this, but it's the only way to really find your maintenance. The internet will give you a rough ballpark figure ONLY.

It took me about 4-5 months to find my perfect submaintenance level, which wasn't near what the internet said it was.

See that's the problem, you need to find your maintenance from one source, and only one. That source being yourself, with testing, trying  and experimenting. Let's say internet tells you 1500-1600 from various sites, you need to test that 1500-1600. If you see you're gaining weight, try 1400-1500, if still gaining weight, try 1300-1400. You will eventually find your maintenance, the internet cannot give you your maintenance. I'm also sorry I'm being really direct with this, but it's the only way to really find your maintenance. The internet will give you a rough ballpark figure ONLY.

It took me about 4-5 months to find my perfect submaintenance level, which wasn't near what the internet said it was.

no well see i got basically the general average of what my calories should be via the internet and personal trainer etc etc. i then played around with it so adjusted by 100 calories and tried it out then adjusted again etc etc. i never ever go over the amount of calories i should have and always make sure im at least at 1200 calories a day.

it gets a lil more difficult when there is a medical condition involved tho, my testosterone levels are super high and my insulin levels are all over the place. hence why paleo is my only real option at this point.

PCOS is a catch 22 situation, the only cure is losing weight, but having PCOS makes it extremely difficult to lose weight. i used to live on cookies and burgers and weigh 45kgs at my thinnest but when you are now fighting hormones its so difficult.

I think Duality has some really valid points.

If you are on a diet, you really will not gain weight.

Now, paleo is an excellent choice for diabetics.  It's exactly the same as the old fashioned diabetic diet.

BUT it's super easy to over eat on paleo too.  A lot of people "go paleo" and don't lose weight.

I think the most successful approach is a combination - do what Duality is suggesting and go paleo if you want.  However, it is truly not your only option.

Also, I'd really rethink the protein shakes.  Is your workout really that strenuous that you need supplementation in your diet?  Most people's diets are not.  Most people do not need protein shakes. 

What are your macro requirements?  Why do you need a protein shake?  And what kind of shake are you using? 

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Now, paleo is an excellent choice for diabetics.  It's exactly the same as the old fashioned diabetic diet.

BUT it's super easy to over eat on paleo too.  A lot of people "go paleo" and don't lose weight.

I think the most successful approach is a combination - do what Duality is suggesting and go paleo if you want.  However, it is truly not your only option.

Also, I'd really rethink the protein shakes.  Is your workout really that strenuous that you need supplementation in your diet?  Most people's diets are not.  Most people do not need protein shakes. 

What are your macro requirements?  Why do you need a protein shake?  And what kind of shake are you using? 

Interesting. Many people I know have the opposite problem and can't eat enough on paleo.

Especially myself. I have a hard time eating enough! :P

Anyway, just a side note. Carry on.

To properly try a maintenance caloric intake I had to try it out for about one month eating basically nothing but the same weekly meal plan, over and over and over. Why? Since water fluctuates enough within the body to vary by plus or minus a pound of two, one week is not enough (in my opinion) to know if you should change by ±100 calories.

Giving it a month (like I did) and logging weight everyday, you will see if anything really changes. It's a long process, but IMO, once you know this maintenance level, you tweak your macros how ever you wish.

I know your situation is harder than the usual person because of health problems, but you, like everyone else on the planet, will have a caloric maintenance level, finding it is key to losing weight.

Interesting. Many people I know have the opposite problem and can't eat enough on paleo.

Especially myself. I have a hard time eating enough! :tongue:

Anyway, just a side note. Carry on.

To properly try a maintenance caloric intake I had to try it out for about one month eating basically nothing but the same weekly meal plan, over and over and over. Why? Since water fluctuates enough within the body to vary by plus or minus a pound of two, one week is not enough (in my opinion) to know if you should change by ±100 calories.

Giving it a month (like I did) and logging weight everyday, you will see if anything really changes. It's a long process, but IMO, once you know this maintenance level, you tweak your macros how ever you wish.

I know your situation is harder than the usual person because of health problems, but you, like everyone else on the planet, will have a caloric maintenance level, finding it is key to losing weight.

at the moment i battle to meet my calorie intake and reach about half my protein requirements.

and yes my workouts are that strenuous and find it impossible to lift heavier without the extra protein.

i eat exactly the same meal every monday, every tuesday etc etc (because as a newly wed couple on a budget we literally have to budget every cent and do a monthly meal plan)

im just starting to regret this thread coz it doesnt seem that anyone is understanding that i have been fiddling with my diet for over a year and playing with calorie amounts etc etc. its not like i try a diet for a day and fail and decide to try something new.

at the moment i battle to meet my calorie intake and reach about half my protein requirements.

and yes my workouts are that strenuous and find it impossible to lift heavier without the extra protein.

i eat exactly the same meal every monday, every tuesday etc etc (because as a newly wed couple on a budget we literally have to budget every cent and do a monthly meal plan)

im just starting to regret this thread coz it doesnt seem that anyone is understanding that i have been fiddling with my diet for over a year and playing with calorie amounts etc etc. its not like i try a diet for a day and fail and decide to try something new.

That's not what I'm saying at all.

You were vague in how you found your maintenance and everything.

Anyways that's my last post here, good luck.

Dont get too discouraged, it's just the internet.

You have to understand that people are honestly trying to help when they respond to a question.  You also have to understand they are coming from their way of thinking.  You also have to be willing to be open to suggestion.  You wont always hear what you want to hear.  If someone answers and you have already tried that, just move on to the next and look for bits of information you can use.  Keep an open mind.

That said, all of us get frustrated at times and feel like we have tried everything.  We obviously havent but it feels that way.  It sounds like your medical conditions and likely medications are going to make weight loss difficult.  I would offer a couple of suggestions as simply that ........... suggestions.

It may be specific foods that are creating the road block for you.  I agree that the number of calories is important but sometimes certain foods can throw the process off.  Also, take a look at how often you are eating.  Are you snacking?  Fasting? Grazing?  I know that I found that eating 2 or 3 good meals works a lot better than eating several smaller meals.  Maybe that is worth trying.  I learned a lot from reading "It Starts With Food" and doing the Whole 30 so I'll throw that out there as something to look at.  I know you said you are on a tight budget so it would take a little planning but I learned a lot about how my body deals with different foods.

Maybe consider when you work out.  Do you work out fasted?  Are you moving slow a few times a week?  Is your program keeping you from losing?  Are you actually losing fat but not weight?  Also take a look at those shakes.  Some probably have sugar or sugar substitute to make them taste good and both can hinder weight loss. 

I'd also suggest staying off the scale and focus on being healthy.  Obviously being healthier will likely mean weighing less but it is a different mindset.  Only eat things you know will make you healthier, work out smart, eliminate the stress of "what do I weigh." 

I can tell you those are the things that worked for me.  You can try whatever makes sense or move past this post. Dont give up and dont get discouraged by internet experts.  We all mean well.  :)

Sorry if I seemed snappy in my last reply. I guess I was vague coz when I first posted it was just to find out about the protein shake. I do appreciate your advice and well I guess I'm a bit sensitive about my fat ass at the moment. But I will keep counting calories even now that I'm on paleo and see how it goes. Maybe even keep a diary for a week and someone can tell me if I'm doing something horribly wrong

Whole clean foods are always better than shakes. But shakes are very convenient. 

I make a shake 5 days a week for breakfast but i mix in a ton of healthy crap too (frozen fruit, broccoli, flaxseeds, almonds...). I have a slight intolerance to milk but Whey powder and greek yogurt dont seem to bother me. A lot of powders are full of crap so look for a clean one if you decide to go that route. 

I use 100% Gold Standard Naturals which is sweetened with Stevia instead of cane sugar and crappy artificial sweeteners.

I also eat eggs 7 days a week so don't think that I don't have other breakfast options.

USS & NBAC Masters swim coach

Current: lifter, runner

Former: triathlete, cyclocross racer, NCAA swimmer

Current games: Borderlands 2, Runescape, Star Ocean, Dragon's Dogma

People are trying to advise you but it's hard b/c we don't have much information to go on. 

I get as much protein as possible from whole foods.  BUT I have a 200g/day protein goal b/c I'm building muscle mass and heavy lifting 4x week.  That is an unusual amount of protein. 

What is your daily protein requirement and how short are you?  A can of tuna is probably a better choice than a shake.  And yes, I keep tuna in my desk at work.  OR clean jerky to help with protein.  I'd rather have that any time over a shake. 

And if you are struggling to meet caloric intake, what is your level needed?  What are typical meals?  This all helps advise you.  Chances are, honestly, that you can meet your protein needs with regular whole foods at meal time. 

Some shakes are full of nasty stuff, sugar, carbs, etc.  How much you are drinking, type, and why also help us advise. 

Also, food that comes in shake/smoothie form hits your system differently b/c it doesn't need to digest the same way.  That can be a problem. 

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Loren, running the risk of thread jack - yeah people over eat on paleo all the time.

Example:  6 slices bacon, 6 eggs, apple for breakfast

nuts snack

fruit snack

lunch 2 burgers, 2 servings of sweet potatoes, paleo brownie

preworkout snack

dinner big giant steak, broccoli, sweet potatoes

paleo cookies

pwo shake

overeating.

I AM going the distance

I drink a protein shake every workday for breakfast. I mix chocolate whey protein powder, almond milk, and coffee ice cubes. I am pressed for time in the morning and it is quick and easy for me. I take about an hour to finish it while at work and it usually keeps me full until lunch. I know it's not paleo, but almost everything else I have all day is so I allow myself this one "convenience" food. Plus I used to be vegetarian and still struggle eating meat. This helps me up my protein, is yummy, and has caffeine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.†― Henry Ford

Epic Quest

First Challenge          Second Challenge         Third Challenge