Butter: Paleo or Not?

Tclenney4

Hey everyone. So I've just started one of the 6-week challenges this past Monday, and have been pretty successful already since switching to a full pale diet (2.4 pounds lost in only 2 days!). However, I had one question that I seem to get conflicting opinions on when doing research, and wanted y'alls opinions.

I have been using butter in my cooking since Monday. However, I've seen some sites say that butter should not be eaten at all, some sites say it is okay to eat butter, and some sites say to only use clarified butter.

I'm a college student, on a somewhat tight budget, and butter is the cheapest fat source available to me. However, I am willing to switch if it really is a problem.

What do you all think?

I don't know about Paleo or not (I don't do it), but I can strongly recommend coconut oil, assuming it's allowed for you! It's not the cheapest, but at the same time, you only need a very small amount in the pan when you cook (less than a tea spoon), and it gives everything you cook this amazing barely noticable smell and very very weak taste of coconut. And I absolutely love coconut, use it all the time! :D

Chubby Half Elf - Adventurer

Level 0

STR: 0 | DEX: 0 | STA: 0 | CON: 0 | WIS: 0 | CHA: 0

Challenge 1 | 2 | 3

As the main rules of Paleo are no dairy and no grains, I'd have to say no to butter being Paleo. 

Try doing what DChristian said or look for a cheap olive or rapeseed oil. 

Welcome aboard and well done with your progress thus far!

Pip-Boy read-out: Level 3 Sentinel:  S(STR)- 3 | P(CON)- 6 | E(STA)- 7 | C(CHA)- 6.5 | I(WIS)- 8 | A(DEX)- 4.5 | L(LUC)

Scratched on the case are the words- "You don't need a reason to help people".

Officially its not paleo because it falls into the dairy category, there is really no arguing about that.

That being said, I forget which Paleo guy said it, but Paleo is not about you sitting here asking yourself "is this paleo or not" its about you sitting here and deciding "is this the best thing you can put into your body" and there are alot of different studies going both ways on butter.

You using butter as a little fat while cooking is not going to make or break your diet, it probably won't even make a huge difference either way. Though I can say, Coconut oil and a light flavored olive oil work great, and if you make bacon keep the fat, the food tastes slightly better using them than butter does.

Lvl 3 Half-Orc Warrior Assasin

Male, Age: 30

STR 4 - DEX 2 - STA 5- CON 2 - WIS 4  - CHA 3

Intro Post --- Current Challenge

"Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try" Jedi Master Yoda

"Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out"

As others have indicated already that by a super-strict, by the book definition, paleo adherents don't touch any diary.

If you find your self including butter or other good quality diary (yogurt, cheese, cream, half/half, butter, ghee, milk)  or even some other non-paleo approved (good quality low-glycemic) foods you might want to take a look at some of the derivatives or alternative 'paleo diet templates' for inspiration and guidance.  Something like Mark Sissons Primal diet (differences between Paleo and Primal).  

Want some tips for what to look for when buying good quality butter...check out this post (I have no connection with the website/blogger, was in my news feed recently and I bookmarked it for reference)

As others have indicated already that by a super-strict, by the book definition, paleo adherents don't touch any diary.

If you find your self including butter or other good quality diary (yogurt, cheese, cream, half/half, butter, ghee, milk)  or even some other non-paleo approved (good quality low-glycemic) foods you might want to take a look at some of the derivatives or alternative 'paleo diet templates' for inspiration and guidance.  Something like Mark Sissons Primal diet (differences between Paleo and Primal).  

Want some tips for what to look for when buying good quality butter...check out this post (I have no connection with the website/blogger, was in my news feed recently and I bookmarked it for reference)

If it works for you, use it. Quite frankly, the paleo purism is a bit over the top, and butter is not unhealthy for you as a fat in your diet, as long as it is in moderation (put it this way, there are ancient cultures that have been eating dairy a long, long time, in places like tibet it is a mainstay of the diet). That said, coconut oil is wonderful for frying, it has a high smoke point and is very good for you,too...

If you're going to use butter, use the best butter: ghee, which is usually sold organic, non-GMO & grass-finished.  I have had a tub of Purity Farms ghee (here it is on Amazon) that I paid $10 for and for the past 3 weeks (found it at the local big-name supermarket, believe it or not), it's only half gone (and well... I love my ghee, I can't lie).

Level 3 Wild Elf. Druid at heart, with an Adventurer's soul.

STR4 | DEX2 | STA4 | CON7 | WIS7 | CHA5

Challenges: 1st2nd, 3rd | Current: --

*After a long hiatus, I am back and ready to work on myself!

LOSE 70LBS

Spoiler

"If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter;

for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans."

Desiderata, Max Ehrmann