FYI - New Challenge Forums will be live tomorrow ×

Epsilonx2 Begins Life as a Ranger

Epsilonx2

It's that time again!!! Super excited to be back on NF, back in Detroit, and back to work! Due to the inclement weather, literally all of my plans got thrown out the window, hence the slightly late start, but I'm totally ready for action now.

Main Quest

Continue to drop the extra weight and develop a positive body image

Active Missions

Cut that starch! [+3 CON, +2 CHA]

As I mentioned in my last challenge thread, I have PCOS and have always found it difficult to lose weight. I got some material on the Glycemic Load Diet for Christmas and have been reading up on that. I think it makes a lot of sense for me based on my experience with food and my body up to now as well as those of my family members. Because I live in community, it's likely that I won't be able to entirely cut out every starchy thing, but I'm going to up the ante from last time. Even if it's part of a community meal, I'm going to separate out as much as possible any bread, rice, white potatoes, pasta, etc. This is in addition to the obvious absence of empty calories from sweets and sugary drinks. None of that nonsense!

A: >=40 days sticking to the above guidelines

B: 36-39 days

C: 32-35 days

D: 28-31 days

F: <28 days

Work on my fitness! [+3 STR]

This is also a continuation of something I worked on last challenge. I felt good running and doing a body weight workout three times a week each. I'd like to keep that up, but the freezing temperatures are making it really difficult. The solution? Get my ass to the YMCA (finally). Last challenge, I chased down an answer as to whether or not I'd be able to get any special membership discount as a full-time volunteer. That answer was a resounding "no". The plan now is to get a family membership with my housemates.

This goal will be broken up into the following steps (A >= 90%, B >= 80%, C >= 70%, D >= 60%, F < 60%):

• Talk to the whole community about going in on a membership (15%)
  • Inquire about family membership (10%)
  • Tour facility (optional, 5% bonus)
  • Obtain personal transportation (borrow, fix, or buy a bike) or figure out when I can drive to the Y (25%)
  • Try group classes, go at least once/week for the remainder of the challenge (20%)
  • Get to the Y at least 3 times/week for the remainder of the challenge (30%)

Zombies, Run! 5K [+4 STA]

I started running using Zombies, Run! 5K Training and, though I did go running while I was home for winter break, the holidays threw me off a bit. I want to finish out the training and keep right on running. Eventually, I want to do a 5K event, but that will most likely have to wait until I have an income. This goal will be split into two parts of equal weight. First, I'm going to finish the last three weeks of the training by February. This gives me a little wiggle room, which I think is necessary given the fact that I don't yet have a place to run indoors. The second part is that I want to get my 5K time down below 30 minutes. I'm not entirely sure because I've never timed for exactly that distance, but I think I'm probably around 40 minutes with plenty of walking thrown in there right now, so shaving off 10 minutes feels reasonable.

A: Done by 1/31; 5K in less than 30 minutes

B: Done by 2/1; 5K in 30-31 minutes

C: Done by 2/2; 5K in 31-32 minutes

D: Done by 2/3; 5K in 32-33 minutes

F: Done 2/4 or later; 5K in more than 33 minutes

Life Quest

Don't touch those savings! [+3 WIS]

In the Jesuit Volunteer Corps, you're encouraged to remain at your placement site (with the exception of any JVC retreats) for the entire year. Most people go home for Thanksgiving and/or Christmas. I work at a high school, so I went home during the students' winter break. The only other time I'll be leaving Detroit for any personal reason is to go to my friend's wedding in late June. I'm guessing I'm going to need something like $300 to cover airfare, a dress, and any food not provided by the families of the bride and groom or carried along with me. As I receive $100/month as a stipend, this means I need to start saving now. Between now and the end of the challenge, I'll receive two months' stipend. I still have a little left over from December. At the end of the challenge, I will have put away at least $100 towards my wedding trip fund.

A: At least $100 set aside

B: $92-$99

C: $84-$91

D: $76-$83

F: $75 or less

Having finished my first full challenge, I'm already noticing a big difference in how I look and feel. I want more of that. If I keep on making changes like the ones these challenges inspire me to, I can tell I'll eventually reach a point where I'm happy with my self-image. I want to be able to look in the mirror and say, "YES! I did this!"

• Like 2

Aisha
Half-Giant Warrior, Level 5

STR: 7 || DEX: 6 || STA: 8 || CON: 7.5 || WIS: 12.5 || CHA: 5

Challenges: Current 4 3 2 1

Zombies, Run!

Nerd Fitness Mitten Meetups

If you have come here to help me, you are wasting your time.

But if you have come because your liberation is bound up with mine,

then let us work together. -Lilla Watson

Current stats:

Height: 5'10''

Weight: 211.6 lbs

B/W/H: 43/39/43

Aisha

Zombies, Run!

The YMCA and Zombies, Run! are some of my favorite ways to exercise. I whole-heartedly agree with doing both of those. Taking 10 minutes off a 5K is a lot for 6 weeks, but since you just started running, you can see some big gains, just like in weightlifting. There's no doubt you'll keep getting faster and faster as you keep pushing it. After finishing the C25K, there's a lot of zombies ready to chase you in the standard Zombies, Run! app that should give you ample motivation to move faster. :)

• Like 1

Quirky DM

My Battle Log: QuirkyDM going Quazy

"Success is simply a matter of luck. Ask any failure."

Wow your goals look GREAT! Living in a situation where you arent in 100% control of your food and everything is VERY hard, so kudos for even attempting a dietary goal with that in  mind! :D 

• Like 1

Druid Assassin Halfling

:) Druid  :)

Level 16, Current Quest: Bekah Returns

Spoiler

Your life does not get better by chance. It gets better by change.

- Jim Rohn

Thanks for saying hi, everybody!

Yesterday was a pretty huge disaster in terms of food. Apparently, nobody felt the need to buy any in the week or so before I came back. I went downstairs to the kitchen to fix myself breakfast and realized there was nothing substantial for me to eat besides eggs, which we were running out of. I bought some more, along with a couple of other things, during my lunch break, but we live in a food desert. It's difficult to find healthy food at decent prices, particularly when pressed for time and money. Add to that the fact that I don't have access to a car during the day and I wasn't left with a lot of options for lunch. Dinner was pizza my housemate's placement couldn't use. So. Disaster. But not the end of the world. Today is a much better food day and we're going to buy groceries tomorrow!

I've been feeling kind of lethargic and awful since my exercise routine fell off during the holidays, so I'm definitely going to get back into it in the next couple of days. The goal is to do a body weight workout today and I'm hoping to tour the Y on Sunday. Oh! That reminds me: the first two steps toward that goal have been completed! The whole fam is on board and I'm waiting on a staff member to call me. It would be absolutely perfect if I could run there on Sunday. I want to get back to Zombies, Run! soooooo badly, but preferably not in subzero temperatures...

Aisha

Zombies, Run!

I hear you on Zombies, Run. The cold isn't stopping me as much as the ice on the sidewalks. But I can't sit safely inside the walls of Abel Township forever! Tomorrow, I'm going out no matter what, come sleet or rain or sharknados.

Your situation sounds pretty tough to manage for eating healthy. Get a load of good food on your grocery trip and that will help set you up for the week and let you focus on other things.

Quirky DM

I hear you on Zombies, Run. The cold isn't stopping me as much as the ice on the sidewalks. But I can't sit safely inside the walls of Abel Township forever! Tomorrow, I'm going out no matter what, come sleet or rain or sharknados.

Your situation sounds pretty tough to manage for eating healthy. Get a load of good food on your grocery trip and that will help set you up for the week and let you focus on other things.

Exactly! I have no confidence in my ability to stay upright running through all this ice. It looks like stuff's starting to melt, though. I'm running on Sunday come hell or high water, so we'll both get to see the outside of base this weekend! And yes, I'm super excited to go to Eastern Market tomorrow. Grass-fed ground beef and aaaaaaall the veggies!

• Like 1

Aisha

Zombies, Run!

Went on that run today! For a little while, it looked like I was going to wimp out. I'd put my running stuff on before we left for our tour of the Y (not sure the family membership is going to work out the way we'd hoped since we're technically not related), but then got sidetracked running errands. When we got back, I had to charge my phone and I wound up watching Netflix and hanging out with my housemates. I would've felt awful, though, if I'd had to take off my running clothes without having used them. I got up off the couch around 5 and went for a relatively short run. I hadn't realized exactly how long it had been! Over two weeks! And I definitely felt it... Note to self: Don't go that long without running and expect to pick right back up where you left off.

I've noticed that I've been having sugar cravings. I don't know why because I didn't feel them at any point during the last challenge. I just want to tear into some pumpkin pancakes or pull 'n' peels or cinnamon rolls. I'm wondering if I should tweak my first goal. The Glycemic Load Diet talks about how to handle dessert without causing crazy insulin spikes. It suggests having just a handful of something that isn't starchy like M&Ms or a square of dark chocolate after a meal to satisfy your sweet tooth. If I allow myself a handful of sweets per week or something like that, maybe it'll take the edge off. At the same time, I usually find it simpler to just cut things out than to try to draw a line between what's okay and what's too much.

Aisha

Zombies, Run!

Went on that run today! For a little while, it looked like I was going to wimp out. I'd put my running stuff on before we left for our tour of the Y (not sure the family membership is going to work out the way we'd hoped since we're technically not related), but then got sidetracked running errands. When we got back, I had to charge my phone and I wound up watching Netflix and hanging out with my housemates. I would've felt awful, though, if I'd had to take off my running clothes without having used them. I got up off the couch around 5 and went for a relatively short run. I hadn't realized exactly how long it had been! Over two weeks! And I definitely felt it... Note to self: Don't go that long without running and expect to pick right back up where you left off.

I've noticed that I've been having sugar cravings. I don't know why because I didn't feel them at any point during the last challenge. I just want to tear into some pumpkin pancakes or pull 'n' peels or cinnamon rolls. I'm wondering if I should tweak my first goal. The Glycemic Load Diet talks about how to handle dessert without causing crazy insulin spikes. It suggests having just a handful of something that isn't starchy like M&Ms or a square of dark chocolate after a meal to satisfy your sweet tooth. If I allow myself a handful of sweets per week or something like that, maybe it'll take the edge off. At the same time, I usually find it simpler to just cut things out than to try to draw a line between what's okay and what's too much.

Great job going for the run! :)

I am a cold turkey person too, trying to limit myself is harder than just giving it up alltogether, and they say sugar is more addictive than heroin and I believe it's true, bc quitting drugs was far easier than quitting sugar has been...so I have decided to approach sugar addiction exactly how I did drug addiction, to the point that when I get to where I am going cold turkey, I will probably go to a 12 step program for food addiction until I feel able to deal with it on my own. Not saying you need to go that route necessarily, just that it's going to take that for me...having failed at quitting sugar many many times now. Good luck no matter what you choose though :)

Druid Assassin Halfling

:) Druid  :)

Level 16, Current Quest: Bekah Returns

Spoiler

Your life does not get better by chance. It gets better by change.

- Jim Rohn

Oh hey another tall lady!  Hello!  (I'm assuming you're a lady from your picture)

I saw you in Level 1 club but never commented because I am shy but then there's this mini-challenge so here I am.  I have the Zombies, Run! app also, I really like it except sometimes it's hard to run WHEN I AM CRYING BECAUSE EMOTIONS.  I don't know how far you are, but the heart strings, they get tugged.

• Like 1

Butts.

Great job getting out for the run. Like you said, it's a shame when you get all dressed up and then don't follow through.

The sugar thing is tough. One of the best diet tips I saw regarding cheat days was if you can do a cheat day and it ehlps you stay on track because you get rid of the cravings, go for it. If a cheat day kicks your cravings into overdrive and opens the door for you to keep eating the bad foods, then stay away. You have to decide which camp you're in.

But if you are going to snack on the sweets, I would recommend staying with the dark chocolate over things like M&Ms. It's hard to overeat dark chocolate because it usually hits your stomach hard. (until you get used to it) And it's technically good for you in moderation, so you can get rid of any guilt you might have.

Besides just eating it raw, melting it with a little milk is great for dipping with fruit as a light dessert. I like to cut bananas in half, poke a skewer through them and put them in the freezer on wax paper. After supper, melt the chocolate and dip the entire banana in/pour chocolate over top to make healthy banana-popsicles. (also great if you mix chopped nuts into the mix)

• Like 2

Quirky DM

But if you are going to snack on the sweets, I would recommend staying with the dark chocolate over things like M&Ms. It's hard to overeat dark chocolate because it usually hits your stomach hard. (until you get used to it) And it's technically good for you in moderation, so you can get rid of any guilt you might have.

Besides just eating it raw, melting it with a little milk is great for dipping with fruit as a light dessert. I like to cut bananas in half, poke a skewer through them and put them in the freezer on wax paper. After supper, melt the chocolate and dip the entire banana in/pour chocolate over top to make healthy banana-popsicles. (also great if you mix chopped nuts into the mix)

You have just enriched my life and the lives of all my housemates.

Aisha

Zombies, Run!

Oh hey another tall lady!  Hello!  (I'm assuming you're a lady from your picture)

I saw you in Level 1 club but never commented because I am shy but then there's this mini-challenge so here I am.  I have the Zombies, Run! app also, I really like it except sometimes it's hard to run WHEN I AM CRYING BECAUSE EMOTIONS.  I don't know how far you are, but the heart strings, they get tugged.

Haha! I am indeed a lady. That picture is me. :)

I'm so glad you decided to say hi! I've only done the first mission of the main app. Everything else I've done has been on the 5K Trainer, which also has some heart wrenching bits. I'm super excited to get to the rest of the story!

Aisha

Zombies, Run!

Great job going for the run! :)

I am a cold turkey person too, trying to limit myself is harder than just giving it up alltogether, and they say sugar is more addictive than heroin and I believe it's true, bc quitting drugs was far easier than quitting sugar has been...so I have decided to approach sugar addiction exactly how I did drug addiction, to the point that when I get to where I am going cold turkey, I will probably go to a 12 step program for food addiction until I feel able to deal with it on my own. Not saying you need to go that route necessarily, just that it's going to take that for me...having failed at quitting sugar many many times now. Good luck no matter what you choose though :)

Thanks!! The cravings for sugary stuff definitely aren't so bad that I feel like they amount to an addiction. I think I'd just gotten used to eating whatever whenever I wanted having been home for the holidays for so long. I'm totally a cold turkey person, but I'd like to be able to throw the occasional sweetness in the mix because in real life, long term, I do want those things to have a (very small) place in my life. I just want to know that I can do that without those little bits of sweetness stringing together and becoming the norm.

Aisha

Zombies, Run!

Aisha

Zombies, Run!

So I'm starting to get back in the swing of things. I went for another run this morning (my first morning run in like... a month?) and I was pretty pokey, but I got through it. I also got a call on my way to work from the guy that I found out on Sunday is the same person who worked with the previous JV house about getting a family membership at the Y. I've really got my fingers crossed because our tour of the place was pretty awesome. If we get the membership, I'm pretty sure my housemate that's studying for the New York bar will more or less live there. It's a couple blocks from where he works and has a member lounge with WiFi. I'm up to 40% of that goal, by the way!

Also, I made dinner last night with one of my housemates. It was this creamy chicken artichoke soup. Soooooooooooo good! And it was from my glycemic load cook book!

• Like 1

Aisha

Zombies, Run!

oh dear, studying for the Bar Exam. Bless. His. Heart!

Good luck with Y. At most Y's they have household memberships. You don't have to be related, you just have to live in the same house. They really don't have that there?

Good job on the running.  Keep it up! :)

Level 11 Unicorn Ranger

Current Challenge

Previous Challenges 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

“Decorum is highly overrated and probably causes cancer.”  ~ Jenny Lawson

So it's more expensive than we were originally led to believe, but my community is going ahead with the Y membership!! I feel like this has been such a long time coming because I tried to figure out a way to get an individual membership last challenge. I'm so looking forward to getting started. Now I can lift weights and swim and take Zumba classes and all kinds of things!

The cravings are calming down as I ease back into my routine. Lots of meat and veggies, probably more cheese than I should be eating, but no sweets and very few carbs. I cooked some ground beef during my lunch break today, so I'll have that for omelets and snacking. I've found myself eating a lot of baby carrots lately. I think my housemates are curious about the glycemic load stuff. I found the cook book out on the table!

Went for another run today. It's so much harder in the ice, snow, and COLD than when I'm just jogging around my neighborhood in Florida. I love Zombies, Run! though and I can't believe I've only got two weeks left of the 5K trainer! A couple of the other Detroit JVs want to do a mud run as a team this summer. It's expensive by our standards, but it sounds like so much fun! Anyone done one of those before? I'm hoping to do a 5K sometime soon, but I'm not trying to spend that kind of money very often, what with my upcoming trip to New York and all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Aisha

Zombies, Run!

Last year I did a Spartan Sprint and a Prison Break obstacle course run. It was getting ready for the Spartan Sprint that got me started on getting in better shape and exercising again.

They are a blast to do. And while almost anyone can eke through the smaller runs without any training, you really don't want to be doing that. It's much more enjoyable to have feeling left in your body afterwards. :) I love these runs and I'm keyed up to do a Spartan Beast this year as my major race, hopefully getting a fewer smaller runs in as well.

If you can manage it, I would recommend going, especially with a group of friends. It's much more memorable than many of your standard 5K or 10K races.

Quirky DM

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines