I started my fitness journey 3.5 years ago when I decided enough was enough. I had put on 40lbs of unwanted fat since high school due to laziness. I am married and had one kid at the time but gaming (World of Warcraft) was my priority. I was addicted and I later learned my wife was ready to leave me over it. So I went running. First run was 2 miles and was it ever TOUGH! But I stuck with it and kept running even though I hated it. I signed up for a 5K race and after that I was hooked. I actually started enjoying the runs and looking forward to them. They became an escape from the world. That year I raced a half marathon as well, following Nike+ training programs, and finished with a fast time (1:35). I had traded one addiction (gaming) for another (running) and haven't looked back.

The next year I followed other programs such as Insanity and P90X. By then I had seen my body changing, losing the fat. I started realizing I didn't want to be a skinny runner either, so I started looking for strength training programs, found SuperHero Workouts and followed that for its course, all the while still running. My new goal was to become a super hero for myself and my family (I wanted to look like Captain America or Thor).  This last winter I have been using StrongLifts 5X5 by Mehdi and been seeing my max for squats, deadlifts, and bench increase. I temporarily stopped running to get more rest and see more gains. I was thinking of joining his online community but it costs $30 a month.

Then I found Nerd Fitness. I love the simplicity and the wonderful advice. I purchased the strength plan and want to follow it now for more muscle/strength gains. I have been reading the Nerd Fitness posts for over a year but only recently learned how to access this community and I look forward to getting to know you and working with you all to improve ourselves.

I plan on following the barbell strength training and using a mix of running and some crossfit to continue improving my fitness. My wife is a nutrition fanatic so I have been working with her for years to improve and maintain a healthy diet. I did try out the GOMAD diet I learned about on Nerd Fitness for a couple months and used it to bulk up.

Last year I completed my first marathon, as well as a Spartan Beast. I have decided never to do another marathon because it is contrary to my fitness goals, though I learned a lot from doing one. I will be doing another Spartan this year and hope to improve on my time of two and a half hours.

I am in the best shape of my life, and want to be able to say that for the rest of my life.

Sorry for the wordy intro, but thanks for the welcome.