Super EZ Whole Roasted Chicken

Deslok

I love cooking, but roasting a chicken seemed like a lot of work until I made one and now its my goto recipe. The key to this recipe is to keep the chicken as dry as possible and while many recipes call for liquid on the bottom or cut up root veggies this one does not. You may be asking yourself why not just go buy one of those pre-roasted hot chickens at the grocery store, I just think about what was added to that chicken on an industrial level so that it's crazy moist and salty? It was most likely injected with water, salt, sodium phosphate, modified food starch, potato dextrin, carrageenan, sugar, dextrose, spice extractives (this is off the package from a chicken at Costco) or other things may or may not be very good for you.

1 Whole Chicken 4-5lbs (any chicken will do but I enjoy free range etc)

Garlic Powder

Salt

Preheat oven to 450f

Remove the giblets etc from the body cavity.

Rinse chicken, then dry thoroughly, including the body cavity (I use paper towels).

Place chicken in a high sided oven-safe pot (I use a dutch oven).

Sprinkle garlic powder and salt into the body cavity.

Dust the outside of the chicken with garlic powder, too much and it will burn. (not in a bad inedible way but in a ugly not pretty for a chicken kinda way)

Generously sprinkle salt on the outside of the chicken this will make it tasty as well as make the skin nice and crispy by pulling out the moisture.

Place chicken in the oven and cook for 1 hour.

After an hour take the chicken out and test the breast with a meat thermometer. It should read 170-180f, if it’s lower than 170f place the chicken back in the oven for 10 more minutes.  

If the chicken is 170-180f let rest for 15-20 minutes, in this time it will cook a little more on its own and cool down so you can eat it.

And that's it, you have an impressive yet simple chicken. Yum.

Deslok

Level 2 Human Adventurer

Stats: STR - 4 DEX - 3 STA - 3 CON - 3 WIS - 3 CHA - 2

Begin Date: 1/6/2014 - Target Date: 1/5/2015

Begin Weight: 302.5 lbs - Current Weight: 288.0 lbs - Target Weight: 200 lbs

Height: 5'8" - Age: 43

Daily Battle Log No longer updated

6  Week Challenges

4th challenge

I Floop the Pig!

I have a rotisserie in my countertop convection oven. Its a pain tying the legs together but i cook it for 10 min then brush it every 15 min with a mixture of butter, salt, pepper and paprika.

USS & NBAC Masters swim coach

Current: lifter, runner

Former: triathlete, cyclocross racer, NCAA swimmer

Current games: Borderlands 2, Runescape, Star Ocean, Dragon's Dogma

I have a rotisserie in my countertop convection oven. Its a pain tying the legs together but i cook it for 10 min then brush it every 15 min with a mixture of butter, salt, pepper and paprika.

That sounds awesome

Would this work in a crock pot? Usually don't have an hour after work to get dinner ready, buy a lot of rotisserie chicken. It would be good to be able to do my own.

With a crockpot I think you would cut up some root veggies, carrots, onions potatoes (sweet or not) and put them on the bottom then add some sort of liquid water most likely. I am sure there are a ton of recipes for this out there.

Deslok

Level 2 Human Adventurer

Stats: STR - 4 DEX - 3 STA - 3 CON - 3 WIS - 3 CHA - 2

Begin Date: 1/6/2014 - Target Date: 1/5/2015

Begin Weight: 302.5 lbs - Current Weight: 288.0 lbs - Target Weight: 200 lbs

Height: 5'8" - Age: 43

Daily Battle Log No longer updated

6  Week Challenges

4th challenge

I Floop the Pig!