Raevn Shows Up Fashionably Late

Raevn

Hello! I thought about waiting for this challenge to finish in order to start the next one as my first challenge. I figured that I could just work stuff on my own and be fine. BUT! I just realized that I've already started slacking on my life quest!

So, without further ado, on to my challenge!   :onthego:

Main Quest: Do a freestanding handstand!

Goal 1:  Do 5 minutes of handstand progressions a day.

I've already been doing this for a 1.5 weeks or so. Currently at 60, 42, 30 second wall handstands.

I can't believe I went from thinking that I could never get close to even doing a wall handstand, to doing just that after reading just one article!

Goal 2:  No more desserts!

I don't have much control over meals since I have to eat at a chow hall for the next couple months, so I'm limited to what the menu of the day is.  What I'm not limited to, however, is dessert. They have SO. MANY. DESSERTS! I need to stop eating them! :miserable:  

Goal 3: Work on front-split progression stretching every day.

"But Raevn, how does being able to do a front-split help in doing handstands?", you may ask.

I don't know!

But what I do know is that doing one would make me feel pretty awesome, and feeling awesome makes working on other things much easier!

I'll also be taking advantage of free gym access for the next few months by continuing my starting strength progression that I was working on a couple years ago. I started with some lighter weights last month, and have already made it back up to my old max's, with the exception of deadlifts. Looking forward to seeing where I'll be a few months from now!

Life Quest: Try to make conversation with at least one person every day.

This one is a biggy for me. I've always had some pretty crippling social anxiety, but I'm much better nowadays than I was before. BUT! I can tell I've been falling back into old, bad habits of becoming a loner yet again. So... no more of that! For now, I don't care about how long the conversation lasts, what we talk about, or if they ignore me. All I care about is that I got back out of my shell and at least tried to talk to someone.

Scoring: Weekly scores by how often I did each goal.

A : Every day of the week

B : Six days of the week

C : Five days of the week

D : Four days of the week

F : Anything less

My Motivation?

1K29QVz.jpg

I want to live long enough for the chance of awesome sights like that becoming part of ho-hum everyday life.

Raevn

Level 2 Wood Elf Assassin

Challenges 1 | 2

“We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things. Not because they are easy, but because they are hard.†- John F. Kennedy

Wow, you have your goals in order! I really love your life goal. From time to time I have a really hard time talking to people, so I think the idea to talk to a person everyday will totally help you with that! Keep at it~

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined" ~ Henry David Thoreau

Thanks! I'm pretty introverted so I tend to find it a chore to go out of my way to talk to people. But if I get used to talking to people in the first place, then it's not such a big deal.

Raevn

Challenges 1 | 2

“We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things. Not because they are easy, but because they are hard.†- John F. Kennedy

Awesome goals!  Especially your Life Goal.  Conversation is its own reward.

What's your chow hall situation like?  You may be surprised how much control you actually have, especially if it's a relatively short-term stay (and you have access to multivitamins, and/or a salad bar and things of that nature).

"|Improvise, adapt, overcome. "

Level 3 Wood Elf Ranger  | STR11DEX5STA6CON3WIS2CHA3 ]

[ Dragons to slay:|250+ PFT 290+ CFT GORUCK Spartan 13.1 290+ PFT 20 +35# Pullups ]

[ Challenges: 1 2 Current ||RPG Fanatics Goblin Ganker ]

Thanks guys!

What's your chow hall situation like? You may be surprised how much control you actually have, especially if it's a relatively short-term stay (and you have access to multivitamins, and/or a salad bar and things of that nature).

It's not too bad, really. I have three to choose from, and they all have a pretty consistently scheduled menu, with lots of protein options. The only bad part is that on some days, those protein options are fried choices and burgers/hotdogs, or VERY overcooked baked/grilled chicken (yuck :disturbed: ), with the exception of the 'BBQ' chow hall which always has some sort of grilled/smoked meat available. The curries here are actually suprisingly good, if a bit on the bland side.

Unfortunately, the vegetables are very limited; mostly just bland, overboiled frozen veggie mix that require seemingly half a pound of salt and pepper to taste halfway decent. And beans. Lots of beans.

The salad bar, on the other hand, is great! When I first got here, they had these amazing herbed green olives that I ate a big spoonfull of at each meal. But they stopped serving them for some reason a few weeks ago, made me sad :(.

Did my handstand work and stretching after work this morning. I did 60, 45,40 seconds on the wall. Hoping to get that up to 3x60s by the end of the week! I probably could have held them for a little longer, but I haven't worked on my bails yet so I didn't care to fall down and wake my roomate with all the racket.

Stretching went pretty well, I've made some pretty good progress on some of my assistance stretches over the last two weeks; I can already keep solid touch to the ground while bending down, and I started out by barely being able to make it past mid-shin!

Also, I guess I should mention that I'm working 12 hour night shifts for the next few months.

Raevn

Challenges 1 | 2

Twelve hour shifts and a few chow-halls for the next few months?  Given those details, I'd salute even the effort to tread WATER until you're out of that environment.  Good on ya for pushing ahead, looks like you're off to a good start.

For the "talk to someone every day"side, I'd cautiously recommend visiting the smoke pit.  I say cautiously, because this is how I turned from a nonsmoker into a sporadic smoker...  BUT the smoke pit is generally a highly sociable area where people are already looking to relax and chat.

"|Improvise, adapt, overcome. "

Level 3 Wood Elf Ranger  | STR11DEX5STA6CON3WIS2CHA3 ]

[ Dragons to slay:|250+ PFT 290+ CFT GORUCK Spartan 13.1 290+ PFT 20 +35# Pullups ]

[ Challenges: 1 2 Current ||RPG Fanatics Goblin Ganker ]

The spoke pit would be a pretty good place to do it, but I just can't stand the smell of smoke, so that's out. Good suggestion though, thanks!

I pass quite a few people to and from work/chow, waiting in lines, and sharing tables during busy meal hours. So I figured I could encounter enough people to talk to at least one of them a day.

Raevn

Challenges 1 | 2

Day (Night?) 2:

Handstands: Good news! I held the second one for the full 60 seconds, so only need to work on the third one now. I did 60, 60, 42 seconds.

I came so close to making up some excuses not to do them too! Glad I didn't.

Stretches: Did my stretches afterwards. Still making decent progress with those so nothing special to report.

Dessert: I managed to skip dessert with my meals, but I did eat a small slice of cake that a coworker brought me for my birthday last night... so I won't count that one :nonchalance:

Sociable Me: Was out eating with a coworker, and a big group of european dudes sat down at the table next to us. Coworker kept going on about how she thought they were cute and we were arguing over what country they were from. So I lean over and ask them! I thought they were German, but turns out they were from the Czech Republic. So we had a cool little convo comparing our countries for a little bit before heading back to work.

Raevn

Challenges 1 | 2

Night 3:

Handstands: Getting there. 60, 60, 46 seconds. I can't keep my elbows locked for the last few seconds of the third rep, which puts all the strain on my already-fatigued muscles.

Stretches: I felt less stretchy than I did the other day on the accessory stretches, but the actual split went down another inch or so. So that's good I guess.

Dessert: None while eating. But then I ate an ice cream bar later during work, so another miss. But at least it tasted really good!

Sociable Me: More like unsociable me. No attempts to initiate conversation with anyone.

Raevn

Challenges 1 | 2

Oh man. Huge delicous brownies are my nemesis! I'm so lucky they don't have any around here and that I have no access to an oven, or else I'd be in trouble.

On a side note: I finally worked my way back up to my old squat weight last night, so every increase from here on out will be a PR again! Still super weak on bench and overhead press though :moody:

Raevn

Challenges 1 | 2

On a side note: I finally worked my way back up to my old squat weight last night, so every increase from here on out will be a PR again! Still super weak on bench and overhead press though :moody:

Outstanding work with the squats! You will get there with the bench and press.

Level 36 Ranger Sorcerer 

Current challenge 

Thanks guys!

Thanks for dropping by my challenge.

Yours looks awesome! Handstands are definitely going to be on my list at some point in the future. And I can completely see where you're coming from with your life quest, I would do the same, if I were brave enough!

Not a problem! Don't think of it as something you need to be scared of, think of it as getting a chance to meet someone with an awesome story. And there's absolutely no telling where a conversation might go!

You initiated a conversation with me!

Hmm. I did, didn't I? I guess I can count that towards tonight's tally!

Raevn

Challenges 1 | 2

Night 4:

Handstands: 60, 60, 50 seconds on the wall. I probably could (should) have held the last 10 seconds on the last one. I have a bad problem with being unwilling to push through discomfort and tend to ease up right before the finish line.

Stretches: Going pretty good. It feels like I haven't made any progress, but only a week ago I couldn't even do near what I can do now. So stop trying to trick me brain!

Dessert: None to be found. Check.

Sociable Me: Tried starting a convo with one of the laundry guys, but it was pretty awkward and the other guy retrieving my bag came back really fast. Still, I tried.

I'm going to wait til this next week is over to grade progress since I started in the middle of this last week.

Raevn

Challenges 1 | 2

SO. MANY. DESSERTS! I need to stop eating them! :miserable:  

This one is a biggy for me. I've always had some pretty crippling social anxiety, but I'm much better nowadays than I was before. BUT! I can tell I've been falling back into old, bad habits of becoming a loner yet again. So... no more of that! For now, I don't care about how long the conversation lasts, what we talk about, or if they ignore me. All I care about is that I got back out of my shell and at least tried to talk to someone.

My big issue was in the evening since I would get bored and then all I wanted was junk on top of junk on top of junk.  Small steps. You can kill the dessert demons.

Good luck on the social anxiety.  I have a really hard time making friends and I'm incredibly awkward.  (The worst is having a conversation one on one, and then another person shows up.  Do you face them to? Alternate who I'm talking to? Do I ask a question to include them into the discussion?  I shouldn't just ignore them right?)

(The worst is having a conversation one on one, and then another person shows up.  Do you face them to? Alternate who I'm talking to? Do I ask a question to include them into the discussion?  I shouldn't just ignore them right?)

I'm pretty bad in that situation also, but the best thing to remember is that the responsibility of holding a conversation with the new person isn't all on you. The new person is probably more responsible in involving themselves than you are in involving them, and the person you were originally talking to has their part to play too.

Realizing the fact that failed conversations aren't completely my fault has been probably the most important realization I've had towards reducing my anxiety.

Proud of you for trying to initiate a conversation with the laundry guy! Keep it up. Remember how good it felt to have the conversation with the guys from the Czech Republic? The more times you try the more success you will have.

Thanks! The main reason it was awkward was because I had a really hard time understanding his accent so there was a lot of staring going on, lol.

Raevn

Challenges 1 | 2

Hey Raevn, nice goals you have there, i like the sociable one. We tend to forget to reach out to people in day to day. It's a nice way to do it.

I'll be following your post :)

Level 7 Yogini green witch

STR 3 - DEX 3 - STA 10 - CON 12 - WIS 13 - CHA 6

Previous challenges : 1 || 2 || 3 || 4 || 5 || 6|| 7 || || 9 || 10 || 11

Current challenge : august 2020

Mantra : I am calm, I am love

You are doing great. You've started lots of conversations and are doing amazing handstands too. I don't always hold for as long as I could on the wall handstands. I can push past discomfort and max out another squat or something, but handstands are a different beast. For me, I start getting nervous once my muscles start getting tired (being upside down)

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines