• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Veritasria

criticism from friends about SL 5x5 for women

Hey guys,

So I've cleaned up my diet since the beginning of the year, and lost 10lbs. I've just joined a gym that my dad and brother go to, and after a bit of extensive research have decided that I want to start SL 5x5. I've done bodypump for two years, and a lot of 3x12 isolated exercises and kinda decided that it wasn't working for me, I couldn't put anymore weight on anything and it makes sense to me that a higher weight + lower rep will give me the more dense muscle and strength that I'm after.

I asked them to show me the squat rack, so I can start lifting, and they both pretty much laughed in my face. Said I should be lifting lower weights with a higher rep, and that squats are incredibly complicated to start with. They didn't really listen when I said I've researched the form, and have been doing squats (although not deep enough) in bodypump for quite a while. 

This has just really put a dent in my confidence about starting my routine, and I guess I'm looking for some confirmation that even though SL 5x5 is written mainly for men, it can still be effective for women too. Or if this isn't the best way to go about getting that dense muscle and strength, what is?

• Like 1

Those guys are what are commonly known in the gym as "assholes". Ignore them. Heavy lifting is the way to go. Look no further than Staci for proof. I want to say many more things but I'm too pissed off. You are doing the right thing. Lift all the weights.

• Like 8

Those guys are what are commonly known in the gym as "assholes". Ignore them. Heavy lifting is the way to go. Look no further than Staci for proof. I want to say many more things but I'm too pissed off. You are doing the right thing. Lift all the weights.

This, seriously fuck anybody that laughs at someone for wanting to do compound lifts and get stronger.

good luck going forward :).

Sent from my U8815 using Tapatalk 2

i think all of us women who lift know how frustrated you feel. i still get people saying that im going to look disgusting and im gona look like a man and blah blah blah. i can tell you that since ive started lifting my body has become MORE FEMININE.

so when people come with those annoying comments and try tell you to do otherwise you just have to let it go straight over your head. i just smile and nod.

i hope you regain your confidence in your routine and i know you will get plenty of ladies commenting on this thread with how SL has worked for them :)

• Like 1

*sigh*... I used to bake. A lot. My red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting are the meanest in town. I miss them ;( :tongue:

I still don't know what the hell red velvet is but I know it's delicious and those cupcakes sound freaking amazing. Damn I'm hungry lol

• Like 1

Medhi has some good videos showing the complete workouts A & B. You can get the free spreadsheet by signing up for emails. Unsubscribe from the emails when they get annoying, which will be fairly quickly.

There's also a book with a name like, The New Rules of Lifting for Women, or something close to that.

Go for it! And ignore the jerks who laughed at you.

• Like 1

Seriously, ignore that shit. One of the things I love about lifting is that iron knows no favorites. It doesn't matter whether you're black,white, or polka-dotted, male or female, skinny or not: a pound of iron is still a pound of iron. It doesn't care what you are, or who you are. It only cares what you do with it. Pity your brother and father; by naysaying you, they stray from the path of swole.

Go to the gym. Sacrifice to the iron. Don't give a shit.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

They laughed and said that squats were too complicated for you?

What, they've never seen a woman sit down? And then stand back up?

They're in all likelihood self-conscious about their own abilities, and don't wanna see you show them up. Screeeeeew that. Ton of ladies around here like for 3x5 or 5x5. Go get it!

• Like 3

Strength programs aren't designed for men, they're designed for humans. There's a quote in Starting Strength which I can't repeat verbatim because my copy is loaned out at the moment, but it's something like: "The injured, the sick, the elderly, and other minority populations may need personalized consideration when designing a program. Women are not a minority population; they are half the population." The physiology is not so very different that you require a totally distinct program.

I mean, squats are in some ways surprisingly technical, so do keep up your research and do form checks and etc. But there's no reason for that to stop you from doing it at all.

(Stronglifts is primarily marketed to men, but that's a different issue.)

• Like 3

I think it's awesome you want to do strong lifts. I'm addicted to it myself can't get enough iron. I (as well as my bf)can attest that my body had transformed. I have nicer curves and feel confident about myself. My butt has never looked better. In fact that's where most of my ego reside. teehee! Also EVERYONE loves Dat Squat Girl.

posted from my awesome G2 using Tapatalk... probably goofing off at work or on the throne.

• Like 1

Just want to add to the chorus of encouragement here. As a woman who lifts, I get incredibly excited when I see a fellow female doing cool strength things in the gym, because it's still (sadly) not that common — maybe partially because of the attitude you described above. And I was extremely happy to read the first part of your post, only to be brought down to earth by the narrowmindedness in the second part. Please, please ignore that well-meaning but fundamentally wrong advice. There is nothing intrinsic to any strength exercise that makes it an inherently "male" or "female" exercise. There is no reason a novice lifter of either gender shouldn't start with a basic 5x5. It is completely unreasonable to suggest that a squat is too complicated a lift for a woman. Maybe your friends/relatives are underconfident about their own squatting abilities and their abilities to properly teach the movement; but that doesn't mean you shouldn't squat. If you can't find someone to teach you, I would recommend looking online for videos of proper squatting technique rather than risk being taught by someone who doesn't squat to full depth or know how to properly critique your form. You can also take videos of yourself squatting and post them here for feedback.

It seems that you are already convinced in your own mind of the benefits of lifting for females, so don't let the haters get you down! Learning to lift heavy has been one of the best choices I have made in my entire life — I'm not exaggerating. I have developed a confidence in my abilities I never thought possible, and I have escaped a pattern of body image issues and eating problems I've struggled with my whole life. Fortunately, I have supportive friends and family members who encouraged me in my journey, but I have also felt incredibly lucky to have the support of this community along the way. If you can't find real-life support for this amazing decision, seriously rely on the people here for encouragement; this is a great network!

Here are a few links to back you up:

www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

http://70sbig.com/blog/2012/07/the-enemy/

http://www.liftbigeatbig.com/2013/01/keeping-women-down.html

http://www.niashanks.com/2012/10/myth-buster-6-female-strength-training-myths-that-wont-die/

• Like 3

Yeah, sorry your dad and brother are assholes (unless I misread your post, in which case, whoever those guys are, they're assholes). 

There are so many women lifting - lots of us are on here. Start SL, if that's the program you've decided on. Get someone to check your form in the lifts, sure  - if you don't have anyone in person, post a form check video - but start your program and the assholes can take a long walk off a short pier. 

Find the strongest group of people training in that gym, and ask them.  You'd be surprised at how nice 98% of PL team are.  Also, if you learn well by video for basics, EliteFTS has the So You Think You Can Squat/Bench/Deadlift series on youtube.  That will go over a lot of bases most don't even think about.

Your family is ignorant.  sorry.... not sorry.  Barbell training doesn't require a penis.   and doing glute raises doens't require a vagina. There is no such thing is programs for "men" or programs for "women" what's good for the goose- is good for the gander. Your diet and the volume and intensity and dedication drive your results.  By default- because you are a woman- you will not build the muscle and bulk like a man- it takes a laugable amount of work to truly "bulk"- so dont' worry about that- get in there learn the form and start going at it. You'll be pleastantly surpised with yourself!

Get in there and go do it. I spent about 20 minutes out of my work out today helping coach some girls on DL. it's important to know how to do these things. 

there is TONS of research available to you- and here you have a great community for form checks and advice. 

Some good programs to look into 

Strong lifts

Starting strength

New rules of lifting (for women) either works

Strong Curves.

All are good. 

now

Go forth- Be fabulous!!!!

• Like 2

Like Simon said -

LIFT ALL THE WEIGHTS!

ALL!

Fitness and strength isn't a man thing or a woman thing.  It's a human thing.  If you want tight, dense, strong muscle - then lift heavy.  The end.

• Like 1

Yeah what you were told is common misconception... like embarrassingly common. While I won't default to your family being assholes, sometimes people are very cocky in their ignorance.

Go out and kick some ass, and good luck!

• Like 1

I love lifting and I am a woman.

It is the best thing I have EVER done for myself.  I have never liked cardio, I don't enjoy many a sport. I am shorter 5' 4" and have always been a broader broad (my hips widened so fast my freshman year of highschool they took my knee-caps out of alignment). I was bad at the things that are classically "female", But I absolutely adore being strong and pushing my weight limits!

It helped me brake my food addiction. It has helped me be proud of what my body CAN do not nit pick every single body part I do not like. It has helped me attain my first ever clear physical check up in my life last year. It has helped me become a better person all-around.

My family's response is always along the line of "Don't look like a man. Your husband won't love you if you aren't "feminine""  My husband greatly enjoys what we call "squat butt" and lifter's legs. ;) Just be proud of what you do and know that nobody can tell you what you is right for you except for you!

People try to project their own insecurities onto you all the time, so I have practiced the helpful phrase of "Kindly F-Off"  I love walking into a gym now and being the only girl lifting heavy.  Makes me proud to squat more than the guy next to me. 1 year ago I was petrified of being 'different', now I take a large amount of pride in it.  I am starting competitions this year and I am thrilled.  If you have any question feel free to message me or post again.  And go forth and lift like a girl!!!

• Like 3

There are lots of women on these forums who do Stronglifts, and we've all gotten stronger. You won't progress linearly (i.e., add 5 lbs to every exercise for every workout) on all of the moves... mainly the upper body lifts. Many men don't, either. I've found that I have to do a lot of assistance exercises to make any progress whatsoever on OHP. Anyway, you can do it. If your idiot family won't show you how to use the squat rack, then go to the gym and ask someone else. You just need a tutorial one time, then you've got it. Or watch a Youtube video.

Also, I think a point of SL 5 x 5 that many people miss is that you aren't going to make linear gains without sufficient food. In the manual, it recommends that you consume fairly huge quantities of food. It's pretty hard for women to build muscle. It's even harder (if not impossible) while eating on a deficit.

• Like 1