• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Veritasria

criticism from friends about SL 5x5 for women

You could show this video to your dad and brother.  Just Laura Phelps.  Squatting 600lbs + 120lbs worth of chains.  No big deal.  They should be able to keep up.  After all, they're men.

Gracie V. hitting 430: 

Monster Garage Monsterettes:

• Like 2

Thankyou all so much for your support! It's been amazing. I've gone and done two workouts so far and don't feel so out of place now I know what I'm doing, just go in, get it done, feel the burn after.

The vids and pictures linked are inspiring :)

• Like 3

Like Simon said -

LIFT ALL THE WEIGHTS!

ALL!

Fitness and strength isn't a man thing or a woman thing.  It's a human thing.  If you want tight, dense, strong muscle - then lift heavy.  The end.

07515337b518044c01bf3ded5e0e8232c2b3490f

They laughed and said that squats were too complicated for you?

What, they've never seen a woman sit down? And then stand back up?

Clearly they aren't toilet trained....

• Like 1

My husband greatly enjoys what we call "squat butt" and lifter's legs. ;)

tumblr_m49bolK6FL1rtbaxgo1_400.png

You would be hard pressed to find a male that would prefer the pic on the left.

• Like 4

^^^ Videos above, posted by TehSuckij....

I notice that both of these lifters' stances are REALLY WIDE.. is this pretty standard? Have I been doing it wrong all this time, or do you naturally widen your stance when lifting very heavy weight, or is it just personal preference?

I notice that both of these lifters' stances are REALLY WIDE.. is this pretty standard? Have I been doing it wrong all this time, or do you naturally widen your stance when lifting very heavy weight, or is it just personal preference?

It's standard in powerlifting. The idea is to move the weight to parallel and back so the wider stance shortens the distance the weight has to go, obviously. Unless you are planning on competing in powerlifting it's completely unnecessary though.

The widening of the stance doesn't change the distance the weight has to go barely at all. I believe it lets you get a better stretch in them adductors and incorporate the in the lift more, meaning more muscle mass involved. Will have to check though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It can be personal preference.  But generally if it's used in meets it's because that's simply what they train with and switching do a conventional stance would be counter productive as they're not used to it.  You're going to be weaker when you go wide, however a wider stance gives your hips and hamstrings more activation(which is a common sticking point).  If you ever train at West Side or Elite, they love to have you go wide with squats and deadlifts(as well as use bands) as doing so will boost your close stance numbers when you switch back on your next cycle.

It can be personal preference.  But generally if it's used in meets it's because that's simply what they train with and switching do a conventional stance would be counter productive as they're not used to it.  You're going to be weaker when you go wide, however a wider stance gives your hips and hamstrings more activation(which is a common sticking point).  If you ever train at West Side or Elite, they love to have you go wide with squats and deadlifts(as well as use bands) as doing so will boost your close stance numbers when you switch back on your next cycle.

Problem is that they are designed for geared lifters who are in squat and bench suits. That programming isn't great for raw lifters, aka anyone not in a giant rubber suit.

When my wife and I joined a gym we signed up for personal trainings. My wife is very tiny, she was 90 lbs when we started. She said she wanted to get strong... her trainer had her lifting 2 lb weights. It was insulting. Sure, she isn't very strong, but that wasn't ever going to get anywhere. I also didn't appreciate my trainer, he had no understanding of being fat (as I am) and had no tailoring to that.

I took it upon myself to begin training us, instead. We both do many powerlifting exercises now and are glad to do it. My wife feels self concious because her weights are "low", but so what? She is getting in there and squatting, benching etc. I am proud of her, and if that was your family mocking you, shame on them. They should be proud of you for wanting to get strong. Don't let their sexism stop you from squatting, it's a GREAT workout.

If at all possible, and it's a shame this couldn't be your brother or dad since they both go there, I recommend having a guy you trust with you there, too. My wife refuses to go to the gym alone after the couple of times that she's done it because guys come up to her while she is mid-squat, telling her it's wrong and trying to give her "advice" which is just obvious flirting, and it really frustrates and annoys her as she is trying to concentrate on her lifts. Douchebags. When I am there it absolutely never happens.

My wife is doing something close to SL 5x5.  She's getting serious results in a hurry.  She was lean and mean to begin with, but is getting curves in all the right places now.  It definitely enhances the family body and does NOT make it look masculine. 

The idea that powerlifting is only for men is ridiculous.

• Like 1

My wife is doing something close to SL 5x5.  She's getting serious results in a hurry.  She was lean and mean to begin with, but is getting curves in all the right places now.  It definitely enhances the family body and does NOT make it look masculine. 

The idea that powerlifting is only for men is ridiculous.

It really is amazing the changes that many women see qucikly. I think it's because it's more common among them to not lift heavy things at all, where as for men we more commonly at least played a somewhat strength focused sport for awhile, help each other move house ot house, or do physical work that requires heavier lifting once in awhile. Because of that they have so many more beginner gains to reach that minimum potential their bodies are capable of.

As a girl just getting started in the free weights section, this is a great thread to read. Very encouraging! I can't wait to get further into my program.

Hell yeah.

Side note.  There are about a half dozen women I see using the barbell at the Powerhouse I go to.  All of them squat heavy.  Hell, two of them out squat me.  All of them have amazing squat asses and legs.  :emmersed:

Hell yeah.

Side note.  There are about a half dozen women I see using the barbell at the Powerhouse I go to.  All of them squat heavy.  Hell, two of them out squat me.  All of them have amazing squat asses and legs.  :emmersed:

Yeah, there are some pretty bad ass women around my gym as well. They all kind of roam around in packs together...maybe there's a secret handshake I need to learn or something.

And I am stoked for the squat ass. It can't get here fast enough.

• Like 2

Yeah, there are some pretty bad ass women around my gym as well. They all kind of roam around in packs together...maybe there's a secret handshake I need to learn or something.

And I am stoked for the squat ass. It can't get here fast enough.

Be careful what you wish for. Won't ever be able to find a pair of jeans that fits right again.

Be careful what you wish for. Won't ever be able to find a pair of jeans that fits right again.

It's cool. I'm sure the office would appreciate yoga pants and booty shorts instead of dress slacks.  :nevreness:

But for real, I can't find any pants that fit anyway. I'd rather have a giant, solid ass than what I have right now!

• Like 1

Bear.Force.One.  I have been lifting heavy for about a year now and I love me the editor slacks from Express.  They seem to fit boot-tay just fine. 

I have a heck of a time with jeans though.  My booty and quads disqualify me from many fashion-y things.  I mostly wear my workout clothes as casual clothes now :tongue:  Sooooo much easier.

• Like 1

Bear.Force.One.  I have been lifting heavy for about a year now and I love me the editor slacks from Express.  They seem to fit boot-tay just fine. 

I have a heck of a time with jeans though.  My booty and quads disqualify me from many fashion-y things.  I mostly wear my workout clothes as casual clothes now :tongue:  Sooooo much easier.

That's currently what I'm doing because none of my old jeans fit anymore :/ but thanks for the tip! I'll have to check those out for sure.