• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Veritasria

criticism from friends about SL 5x5 for women

I love this thread because of all the support.  I get into fights all the time with women who tell me they don't lift because they don't want to get big.  I tell them that's fine, as long as they don't do steroids or eat ridiculous amounts of food, they should be fine.

And who cares if a woman does decide to go big?  That's her body, let her be who she wants to be.

I think you should work on your form and show those jackasses who's boss.  Make them eat their words.  Out squat those little boys.

• Like 2

So I'm totally killing it in SL. Doing 110lb squats, my brother came along with me the other day and his last squat set was the same weight as mine (yes!).

Have some buttwink going on but apart from that my form is pretty solid. The upper body exercises (BP, OHP, rows) are the ones I'm struggling the most with... it's difficult to build strength/muscle when eating at a 800 cal deficit, but thta's just the way it goes I suppose.

I have seen a massive difference in my legs, and my boyfriend said my butt is greater than ever. Always had a big one but now it's slowly turning into muscle and getting perkier ;)

Same here with the jeans - I've never found a pair that fits me right anyway so I guess that isn't much of a problem for me :P I'd rather have a fantastic ass and legs than be able to wear a pair of skinnies.

It's cool. I'm sure the office would appreciate yoga pants and booty shorts instead of dress slacks.  :nevreness:

But for real, I can't find any pants that fit anyway. I'd rather have a giant, solid ass than what I have right now!

nope nope nope.

my boss gave me the ex-ney on that one. 

:( sad panda face.

I do like my Editor's from Express- but I have serious issues with the crappy quality of make- I've never had a single pair NOT come undone at the hem. No excuse.  None.

I have a pair I really love- not Nine West- shit- now I have to go get up and see- lazy jo is lazy..

nope- they were Nine West jeans-although they are slacks and then a pair of Tahari- they are also amazing.   Think Burlington Coat Factory or TJMaxx.

:)  Squat booty is a curse. I love my capris- they are amazing.  Amazing. want to live in them. 

• Like 1

Two things -

1.  I've had good luck with American Eagle jeans in the various bootcut variety

2.  Deadlifting makes me happy.

People in general are clueless about weightlifting.  I've only been poking around it for a year after ten years of being a cyclist.  The two are quite complementary.

Low rep, heavy lifts are great for you.  They give you dense muscle mass.

ALSO, if you ever get poo-pooed by a woman about lifting, tell her that weight bearing exercise is phenomenal for your bones.  Lifting big now may well keep you from breaking a hip later.  The "use of lose it" truth DOES apply to bone density.

Go have fun and take pride in every incremental improvement.

So I'm totally killing it in SL. Doing 110lb squats, my brother came along with me the other day and his last squat set was the same weight as mine (yes!).

Have some buttwink going on but apart from that my form is pretty solid. The upper body exercises (BP, OHP, rows) are the ones I'm struggling the most with... it's difficult to build strength/muscle when eating at a 800 cal deficit, but thta's just the way it goes I suppose.

I have seen a massive difference in my legs, and my boyfriend said my butt is greater than ever. Always had a big one but now it's slowly turning into muscle and getting perkier ;)

Same here with the jeans - I've never found a pair that fits me right anyway so I guess that isn't much of a problem for me :tongue: I'd rather have a fantastic ass and legs than be able to wear a pair of skinnies.

Good to see you caught up with your brother, now you can pass him... :-)

Skinny jeans are just wrong... they're right there with parachute pants, and the fact that now guys are wearing em just makes me want to give up on humanity...

• Like 1

Two things -

1.  I've had good luck with American Eagle jeans in the various bootcut variety

2.  Deadlifting makes me happy.

People in general are clueless about weightlifting.  I've only been poking around it for a year after ten years of being a cyclist.  The two are quite complementary.

Low rep, heavy lifts are great for you.  They give you dense muscle mass.

ALSO, if you ever get poo-pooed by a woman about lifting, tell her that weight bearing exercise is phenomenal for your bones.  Lifting big now may well keep you from breaking a hip later.  The "use of lose it" truth DOES apply to bone density.

Go have fun and take pride in every incremental improvement.

In connection with this.  A lady I used to be friends with was in a bad accident a few years ago.  She was a heavy lifter and training to be a fitness model.  She was driving home early one morning and went around a curve and hit a patch of black ice, flipping her car into the ditch.  She got out of the car and was fine.  A Mustang hit the same patch and rammed into her car.  (If she had stayed in her vehicle, she would have been badly hurt.)  THEN a Toyota Tundra hit the same patch and rammed right into her, pinning her to the guard rail.  I don't know how long she was pinned before the paramedics showed up.  But, because she had such massive quads, neither of her legs were broken.  They were black.  Not black and blue, just black, but not broken.  Her weightlifting saved her legs.

• Like 2

Good to see you caught up with your brother, now you can pass him... :-)

Skinny jeans are just wrong... they're right there with parachute pants, and the fact that now guys are wearing em just makes me want to give up on humanity...

I disagree. Skinny jeans help show off those thick ass quads and squat ass.

I just buy the Old Navy ones, Diva skinny pants. I have been well stacked in the glute department before I ever even did squats (yay, cycling), and they fit. They have a little bit of spandex in the material which helps out. I consider these temporary pants but I guess progressive overload on squats/deads/hip thrusts means all pants are temporary.

• Like 1

I disagree. Skinny jeans help show off those thick ass quads and squat ass.

I just buy the Old Navy ones, Diva skinny pants. I have been well stacked in the glute department before I ever even did squats (yay, cycling), and they fit. They have a little bit of spandex in the material which helps out. I consider these temporary pants but I guess progressive overload on squats/deads/hip thrusts means all pants are temporary.

You can show those off without skinny jeans...

To be more specific, I'm talking about the jeans that are skin tight all the way down to the ankles...

Personally, I'm a fan of boot-cut. I have massive calves, and skinny jeans tend to pull weirdly when I have them on, leading to the pants riding low. Don't have this problem with boot-cut/straight leg, and I like those better with heels anyway. Skinny jeans feel very...constricting.

Maybe would should try and bring back Jnco jeans?  That'll give us the room we need.  

For the un-enlightened or too young, just go google Jnco jeans.  

YES!  THESE!  I only stopped wearing them because riding a bike in Jncos is a little messy - my pants would get hooked on my bottle cages.

I personally never wore them, but I had a friend who couldn't get them big enough.  He would have walked around with 2 dresses for legs if JNCO had sold it.  

I miss JNCOs.  I also miss my Tripp pants.  They don't make them for women anymore.  At least not like they used to.  They're all skinny Tripps now unless you buy online for ridiculous amounts of money.  I don't do skinny jeans.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tripp+pants&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=5XAgU6msGKj-2QW8u4CYCA&sqi=2&ved=0CGgQsAQ&biw=1920&bih=1019

I miss JNCOs.  I also miss my Tripp pants.  They don't make them for women anymore.  At least not like they used to.  They're all skinny Tripps now unless you buy online for ridiculous amounts of money.  I don't do skinny jeans.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tripp+pants&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=5XAgU6msGKj-2QW8u4CYCA&sqi=2&ved=0CGgQsAQ&biw=1920&bih=1019

I have a few  mens Tripp items I can still wear....but not many.

The widespread views of gender and what women can and can't do is being redefined as we speak. Lift for yourself and never let anyone, even your own family, tell you what you can or cannot do. It will take time and practice, but never let ANYONE get into your head with negative comments like that. You're here because you want to move forward, not backward.

• Like 1