• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Veritasria

criticism from friends about SL 5x5 for women

1. Yay lifting! I'm in the middle of SL5x5, and yesterday my husband was sweet enough to give me a back massage - and right away he said whoah! And I said "what?" And he said "you have muscles back here!" I have lats! Just another perk besides the squat butt...

2. Yay yoga pants!

• Like 1

Those guys are what are commonly known in the gym as "assholes". Ignore them. Heavy lifting is the way to go. Look no further than Staci for proof. I want to say many more things but I'm too pissed off. You are doing the right thing. Lift all the weights.

Definitely agree with Simon on this one. I was SUPER weak when I started lifting. It was so hard to push myself to try things I hadn't tried. A lot of times I creeped on people who were more experienced, but a lot of times people would offer to help if they saw a confused look on my face. You can do it! Lift like a girl and kick some ass!

Also, everyone is already commented on how awesome it is that you and other women are getting into lifting heavy, but I thought of you and this thread this morning when I watched a 5'2, maybe 135lbs female squatting 245# for 3 sets of 10.  Lol made my 5x5 205# squat PR a little less impressive.

• Like 2

On the topic of skinny jeans, it's all about the jeans that are stretchy enough to do the splits in! I have a pair (American Eagle) and they feel like anything but boa constrictors around the thighs.

But as everyone's talking about ripping their skinny jeans, I'm wondering why my legs aren't so massive they're not ripping my jeans when I can squat 1.5x my bodyweight. Hmmm...where are my ungodly thighs?

I was at the gym doing the bench press and a guy walked by and said to his friend how cute it was when girls "try to lift" ASSHOLLLESSSS.

My gym buddy is bulking up right now, and he continuously tells me that because I'm heavier (not in a mean way, in a constructive way) I should be doing lower weight and more reps for a more toned physique as well as weight loss.  But I am not interested.

• Like 1

I was at the gym doing the bench press and a guy walked by and said to his friend how cute it was when girls "try to lift" ASSHOLLLESSSS.

My gym buddy is bulking up right now, and he continuously tells me that because I'm heavier (not in a mean way, in a constructive way) I should be doing lower weight and more reps for a more toned physique as well as weight loss.  But I am not interested.

Just tell him thanks but no thanks because you don't want to open yourself up for RSI injuries.  Seriously, don't people get that lower weight higher reps create a higher risk of injuring the small muscles?

Also, that asshole just makes me want to lift more and heavier things than him...and drop them on his head.

Seriously, don't people get that lower weight higher reps create a higher risk of injuring the small muscles?

There are times you might want lower weight and high reps.  Depends on goals and programming. 

It is cute when girls try to lift.  It's cute when boys try to lift.  Don't let people bug you during your workout.  Focus on yourself and your lifting.  If they think it's cute.... let it be cute.  I get what bugs you about it but let it roll off and focus on your lifts.  Buy some great headphones. 

He's giving you more body building advice.  It can be really good advice depending on your goals.  "Toned physique" comes from lifting and from diet.  He's right.  That just isn't your goal.  That's fine.  Telling him your goal should take the conversation to a new level about differences in diet and programming, etc.  Some of the best conversations I've ever had have been with people on very different programs.

Embrace the gym buddy!  Glad you have one!!!

• Like 2

Chiming in as someone who has been terrified of the free weights section. 

I just squatted for REAL for the first time (not just practicing w/ sticks or empty bars) and pff complicated? It was awesome.... I know this thread was started months ago, but I hope you've made lots of progress since then and those two are eating their words....

• Like 1

Well my brother took time off from the gym and when he came back his last set was the same weight as mine, so I was pretty chuffed. Eating their words in the way that they can't really give me any crap about my form or lifting as I've made pretty big progress with my lifts and lost a lot of weight in the process :)

• Like 1

I'm WAY to cheap to drop $100 on jeans but god these look great.  Lol all but 2 pair of my jeans are ripped...

Have to take into account the amount you spend on new jeans to replace all the ripped ones... :-)

Have to take into account the amount you spend on new jeans to replace all the ripped ones... :-)

Replace? Lol I still wear the ripped ones. Haha the benefit of all the squatting is that it hides the rips pretty well. Just really awkward at the playground when I kneel down with my kid and there's a rip in a very unfortunate place

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Replace? Lol I still wear the ripped ones. Haha the benefit of all the squatting is that it hides the rips pretty well. Just really awkward at the playground when I kneel down with my kid and there's a rip in a very unfortunate place

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Never said you couldn't still wear the ripped ones... :-)

• Like 1

just posted a thread about this.  LOL I was excited. 

I'm not sure about this- they were only offereing one style in women's- effing straight leg- I HATE straight leg- (video shoes skinny btw)

but I'd be interested to see.