• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Veritasria

criticism from friends about SL 5x5 for women

So uh, about that video for Barbell jeans:

1.  Jeans HAVE changed in the last 100 years.  They were designed to be tough clothes for farm work originally - I would guess that includes "athletic" body types and a looser fit.

2.  There is no way those skinny jeans aren't show a lot of backside when that girl is squatting in them earliy on in the video.  It's just a convenient camera angle.

So basically, they've made them stretchy.  I am highly skeptical.  If, on the other hand, someone here buys them and likes them, I am curious.

I would counter argue that Men's jeans haven't changed in the last hundred years.  For the most part, men's jeans are just as sturdy and rugged as they were when they were invented.  Women's jeans?  Half the time, they're not even made out of denim.

Also, apologies if you're a farmer, but I'm around farm folk quite a bit.  Farm work does not always equal an athletic body.  It may have been different without so many machines back in the day, but most of the farmers I see are just as out of shape as the rest of us.  They might be a bit more gnarled, a bit stronger, maybe even have more endurance, but they're not athletic.

just posted a thread about this.  LOL I was excited. 

I'm not sure about this- they were only offereing one style in women's- effing straight leg- I HATE straight leg- (video shoes skinny btw)

but I'd be interested to see. 

In their defense, they're just trying to get the company up and running. If they reach one of their stretch goals, they'll bring in a boot cut

Can I create a kick starter so I can donate to their kickstarter?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

You create an account (not a kickstarter), and you'll have to have a Paypal one as well.

You create an account (not a kickstarter), and you'll have to have a Paypal one as well.

Haha I meant can I create a kickstarter campaign so people will give ME money so I can give THEM money to get the jeans lol

Haha I meant can I create a kickstarter campaign so people will give ME money so I can give THEM money to get the jeans lol

Ahhh... you could try, but for some reason I doubt you'd get much... :-)

Lol wanna be on the ground floor of this project???

I'll put a dollar in so I can see the updates... maybe do more later. :-)

yes I know- but it would be nice if the product in the video matched the product they were planning on selling.  Says they added the bootcut- if they do well- they'll be here in a year- we can judge then.

In their defense, they're just trying to get the company up and running. If they reach one of their stretch goals, they'll bring in a boot cut

Your family follows "bro science". Tell them this...

- The squat isn't nearly as complicated as most make it sound

- Lifting heavy is beneficial for EVERYONE. If they're worried that you'll gain weight, it's possible ONLY if you are in a caloric surplus, and even then the additional weight will likely be lean muscle mass.

-The same protocols that are effective for men are equally effective for women.

In my time as a trainer, I've put numerous women on Starting Strength. The majority of them lost a significant amount of fat and lost weight because they were on a slight caloric deficit. Plus, they vastly increased strength, with translated very well into their every day life. They looked better, felt better, and performed better.

Don't listen to the naysayers because the majority of them don't know what it takes to succeed or are willing to do what it takes to succeed.

I was one of the first five contributors on the kick starter. They do have some stretch added to them, but the main change is the way they are cut. They're built to be roomier in the butt and thighs for a given waist size. I need to buy 40-42 waist size jeans and belt them down currently. My waist is more like 36-38, and I'm heavy right now. Once I drop pounds, my waist is 34-36.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I was one of the first five contributors on the kick starter. They do have some stretch added to them, but the main change is the way they are cut. They're built to be roomier in the butt and thighs for a given waist size. I need to buy 40-42 waist size jeans and belt them down currently. My waist is more like 36-38, and I'm heavy right now. Once I drop pounds, my waist is 34-36.

That's awesome. I once spent $75 for 2 pairs of jeans a few days before starting a cycle of the 20 rep squat program. Needless to say, after only a few weeks the jeans were a bit too tight. those widowmaker squats pack on so much size onto your lower body, it's insane.

• Like 1

I've just started SL - I'm a 5'2" 150lb female. I love doing proper lifts :-) I actually worked up the courage to ask some of the regular guys at the gym to show me how to squat. They were really friendly and helpful!

I just did my first workout today so still on the bars only, but it wasn't particularly challenging, so I'm looking forward to increasing weights pretty fast!

Good to hear... I might end up needing something like that just to allow room for my derriere... god help me if I start squatting regularly.