Lifting shoes

swe

What kind of shoe would y'all recommend for Olympic lifts that incorporate a jump (like the snatch)? I'm currently wearing converse all stars for squats and dead lifts. Should I be looking for something with more support?

If you are getting into the olympic lifts at all, your very first purchase should be a pair of weightlifting shoes.  Rogue isn't always the cheapest place, but they have a decent selection, plus they ship them for free, which is nice since fit is important and you'll never find them in a brick and mortar store to try on.  (Here's a roundup of some other options, including more snarky commentary on why you need them.)

• Like 1

I've been using Chuck Taylors for deadlift and squats and Nike free runs for walking around from station to station. 
I recently purchased a pair of Adipowers. Can't wait for those to come in. Strictly using them for SQUATS!

"What is comfort compared to the life I wanted? I wanted a future without debt, no one telling me what to do, being able to travel whenever I wanted, and most of all, I wanted to control my own destiny. When you are young, you have time to fail and make mistakes. When life shows you two paths, take the one that you’ll regret the least. One day I’ll be old and see myself in the mirror – I want to wonder what if?"

+ My website: http://www.lb-lifestyle.com

- My Journal of my thoughts/blogs/workouts/progress: htttp://www.lb-lifestyle.com/fitness/journal

I wasn't able to get lifting shoes, at first.  They seem to be very hard to buy in Canada (unless you order online from the US).  So I got a pair of $40.00 Chuck Taylors and used those for almost a year.  I was about to drive down to New York to buy some lifting shoes wihen Adidas Canada finally restocked their shoes.  I didn't like them but tried to give them a fair chance, but I never did get used to them.  $140 not so well spent I guess.  Back to using my Chucks. 

I have also lifted in 0 drop Merrell's with only 4mm cushioning and they weren't bad.  I do enjoy deadlifting barefoot as well. 

If you are on a budget, and cannot get Chucks, just go barefoot if you can.  Taking off your socks will solve the slipping issue - I would assume. 

"If you're not waking up in the morning and living your life like a ritual of creation or destruction or life or death or love or hate then you really are just dieing one minute at a time."

- Paul "Grimnir" Waggener of the Wolves of Vinland

Mogi Shade, Level 4 Yeti

[STR 6] [DEX 8] [STA 4] [CON 5] [WIS 4] [CHA 4]

Current Challenge: [05]

JJSOMMER.COM | Tumblr | Instagram

Quinte Outdoor Club Meet-Up Group [ON, Canada]

Without soundlike like an emo **** (do we get banned for swearing here? can't recall), I squat and deadlift in Chuck Taylor converses. Good grip to the soles, tight on the heel and ankle, looser at the toe, doesn't dig in anywhere, easy to walk around in if needs be.

Level 0.

Race: Human. Tribe: Slavic. Battle style: Haphazard.

STR: 0. STA: 0. DEX: 0. CON: 0. WIS: 0. CHA: 0.

Battle log.

First Challenge.

A lot of the minimalist running shoes are disappearing from the bigger stores here in my area of the US. I picked up a pair of New Balance Minimus MT00 and Vibram Fivefingers KSOs last week and walked out paying $120 for both. I've been working out in the Minimus and could really tell a difference. I don't know what the market is like over there but they may be worth a look.

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I didn't want to start a whole new one for my (possibly stupid) question. When lifting in Chucks, do you take the insoles out? I just pulled my ancient pair out of the closet after hearing these recommendations, and I can't figure out whether they include the insole as part of the recommendation.

I translate things into Latin. Send me a pm.

| Human Flag | One-arm Chinup | | 20 Bar Muscle-ups | | 225 Press | | 365lb Front Squat | | 515lb Deadlift | | Freestanding HSPU | | Gain 15lb | 

Battle Log

It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question and he'll look for his own answers.

Anyone can love a thing because. That's as easy as putting a penny in your pocket. But to love something despite. To know the flaws and love them too. That is rare and pure and perfect.

We understand how dangerous a mask can be. We all become what we pretend to be.   - Patrick Rothfuss

Gain 15lbs

42%
42%

I leave mine in. They're not especially compressible, certainly not enough to become unstable.

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

Thanks. I remember in your "One Year Under the Bar" post, you said that actual lifting shoes were superior to Chucks. What changed?

| Human Flag | One-arm Chinup | | 20 Bar Muscle-ups | | 225 Press | | 365lb Front Squat | | 515lb Deadlift | | Freestanding HSPU | | Gain 15lb | 

Battle Log

It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question and he'll look for his own answers.

Anyone can love a thing because. That's as easy as putting a penny in your pocket. But to love something despite. To know the flaws and love them too. That is rare and pure and perfect.

We understand how dangerous a mask can be. We all become what we pretend to be.   - Patrick Rothfuss

Gain 15lbs

42%
42%

Oh for squatting and pressing there's nothing better than a pair of weightlifting shoes. I'm actually upgrading to a pair of Romaleos sometime next week since my Wei-ru beaters are already getting stretched out. For all things posterior chain though, Chucks are where it's at. I like them on the bench, too, because the sole is a lot more flexible and I bench up on my toes.

• Like 1

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

I see. Thanks!

Battle Log

Gain 15lbs

42%
42%

Rip and one of the guys from Lift Big Eat Big seem to be the only fans of deadlifting in weightlifting shoes. While their logic seems sound, I've always found them to knock 30-50 pounds off my pull when I've given it a try.

My training log

Spoiler

"A trip to the hospital"