Survey for a Student Project

Hello everyone!

I decided to officially join the Rebellion only very recently, but I’ve been following several of its principals for a while now, which has fueled an interest in gyms, and gym design. So, for my capstone project in Interior Design, I’m designing a gym. Woo!

As part of my research, I’ve created a survey about fitness and gyms that I’m hoping people would be willing to fill out for me. The answers I get from this survey will give me a good idea of where I need to go deeper with my research. It’s pretty basic, and shouldn’t take very long to do. I’ll put it in the second post of this topic, that way people can just quote it and fill it out from there.

I really appreciate anyone taking the time to fill out this survey. If you’ve got any questions, let me know!

LEVEL 2 ASSASSIN

STR – 6.75 | DEX – 2 | STA – 3.25 | CON – 3 | WIS – 8.25 | CHA – 0

Challenge Thing

- Are you on a fitness regimen? Yes/No

If no:

Why?

What would motivate you to begin?

Have you made attempts for improved fitness in the past?

If yes, what made them not work for you?

If yes:

What motivated you start?

What keeps you motivated to continue?

Do your family members or friends participate with you?

Is group support helpful?

- Do you go to gyms? Yes/No

If yes:

What do you look for in a gym? (I.E. equipment, classes, location, times, price, etc.)

What equipment do you use, if any?

Is there a specific program or fitness routine you follow?

Is there anything about the gym you don’t like?

If no:

Where do you workout?

What would make the gym a more attractive option?

- Are there any fitness/sport related activities you participate in outside the gym?

- Do you consider yourself a gamer?

If yes, what games do you play?

What about these games appeals to you?

If no, are there any games you enjoy playing regularly?

- Is there any aspect of gaming/nerd culture that might inspire you to workout or improve your fitness?

LEVEL 2 ASSASSIN

Challenge Thing

Gender: Male                      Age: 32                                         

- Are you on a fitness regimen? Yes/No - Not at the moment, trying to get school work down enough that I can go for it.

If no:

Why? - Too much work and school, I'm wore out by the time I could even attempt to grab some weights, still going to make an attempt once I get my weights moved inside.

What would motivate you to begin? - Nothing really is standing out as motivation, other than the fact that I need to do something

Have you made attempts for improved fitness in the past? - yes

If yes, what made them not work for you? - too much time needed (Crossfit) or just plain boring (Gym).

If yes:

If yes:

What do you look for in a gym? (I.E. equipment, classes, location, times, price, etc.)

If no:

Where do you workout? I've done Crossfit, Krav Maga and am currently attempting a home gym

What equipment do you use, if any? - Barbells, bench

Is there a specific program or fitness routine you follow? - Looking at doing the Starting strength routine

What would make the gym a more attractive option? - Simplicity and function, I'm a guy that doesn't like a lot of complicated stuff and having stuff that looks like something you would do in the real world, helps make the link between the gym and the real world. Example... How many people can find the link between the "Birthing Machine" and the real world... but set up a "farmers carry" and people can immediately see the link.

- Are there any fitness/sport related activities you participate in outside the gym? - Not at this time, I was playing football on the weekends.

- Do you consider yourself a gamer? Yes

If yes, what games do you play? At this time none, I don't have the personality that would allow me to mix school, work and games in a balanced manned.

That said the last games I played was Aion, and Portal

What about these games appeals to you?l - Aion mainly for the PVP aspect since I like the idea of competing with other people as opposed to a script, and Portal simply because I love puzzles.

- Is there any aspect of gaming/nerd culture that might inspire you to workout or improve your fitness?

I think having a gym that was geared more towards the gaming/nerd culture... many of us wouldn't be so intimidated by gyms. Things like painting the walls in Mario decor, or having a Prince of Persia obstacle course, Donkey Kong barrel throw... stuff that we could identify with, and that would be our own instead of having to tread into the "Jock's Territory"

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

Gender:     M                 Age:         20                                 

If no:

Why?

If yes:

What motivated you start? - Being healthy, working out to have the body I want.

What keeps you motivated to continue? - Seeing progress, feeling better and stronger, keeping certain goals in mind.

Do your family members or friends participate with you? - I have some friends who have been fitnessing for a longer time. Seeing their progress is also a motivation for me.

Is group support helpful? - Yes, very much so. Definitely when you're new to training, or if you lack motivation.

- Do you go to gyms? Yes/No (I go to the gym on rare occasions)

If yes:

What do you look for in a gym? (I.E. equipment, classes, location, times, price, etc.) - Heavier weights than I have at home and exercise machines with more functions. I like the gym 'cause it gives me a greater variety in exercises to do.

What equipment do you use, if any? - Bench press, barbells and dumbells, rowing machines, butterfly, pull down, leg extension

Is there a specific program or fitness routine you follow? - I have my own home made fitness schedule in which I focus on different muscle groups every day.

Is there anything about the gym you don’t like? - The music, people staring, this sort of pressure from people lifting heavier weights than I can manage and I want to try that, but I know I shouldn't :P

If no:

Where do you workout? - At home and at a local playground.

What equipment do you use, if any? - Dumbells, multi-exercise fitness machine (leg extension, vertical bench press, butterfly, pulldown), pull-up bar at playground, and two horizontal parallel bars for dips.

Is there a specific program or fitness routine you follow? - same as above.

What would make the gym a more attractive option? - No further comments.

- Are there any fitness/sport related activities you participate in outside the gym? - I go running three times a week. In summers I go swimming and cycling too.

- Do you consider yourself a gamer? - Yes.

If yes, what games do you play? - I'm active on steam, I play Left4dead2, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Neverwinter online, DC Universe online, Saint's Row...

What about these games appeals to you? - Action, the graphics, living a second life which is cooler than my own :P

If no, are there any games you enjoy playing regularly?

- Is there any aspect of gaming/nerd culture that might inspire you to workout or improve your fitness? - Leveling up my life, like leveling up in a game.

Gender:     M                 Age:         20                                 

If no:

Why?

If yes:

What motivated you start? - Being healthy, working out to have the body I want.

What keeps you motivated to continue? - Seeing progress, feeling better and stronger, keeping certain goals in mind.

Do your family members or friends participate with you? - I have some friends who have been fitnessing for a longer time. Seeing their progress is also a motivation for me.

Is group support helpful? - Yes, very much so. Definitely when you're new to training, or if you lack motivation.

- Do you go to gyms? Yes/No (I go to the gym on rare occasions)

If yes:

What do you look for in a gym? (I.E. equipment, classes, location, times, price, etc.) - Heavier weights than I have at home and exercise machines with more functions. I like the gym 'cause it gives me a greater variety in exercises to do.

What equipment do you use, if any? - Bench press, barbells and dumbells, rowing machines, butterfly, pull down, leg extension

Is there a specific program or fitness routine you follow? - I have my own home made fitness schedule in which I focus on different muscle groups every day.

Is there anything about the gym you don’t like? - The music, people staring, this sort of pressure from people lifting heavier weights than I can manage and I want to try that, but I know I shouldn't :P

If no:

Where do you workout? - At home and at a local playground.

What equipment do you use, if any? - Dumbells, multi-exercise fitness machine (leg extension, vertical bench press, butterfly, pulldown), pull-up bar at playground, and two horizontal parallel bars for dips.

Is there a specific program or fitness routine you follow? - same as above.

What would make the gym a more attractive option? - No further comments.

- Are there any fitness/sport related activities you participate in outside the gym? - I go running three times a week. In summers I go swimming and cycling too.

- Do you consider yourself a gamer? - Yes.

If yes, what games do you play? - I'm active on steam, I play Left4dead2, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Neverwinter online, DC Universe online, Saint's Row...

What about these games appeals to you? - Action, the graphics, living a second life which is cooler than my own :P

If no, are there any games you enjoy playing regularly?

- Is there any aspect of gaming/nerd culture that might inspire you to workout or improve your fitness? - Leveling up my life, like leveling up in a game.

Gender:     Dude                 Age:     33                                      

- Are you on a fitness regimen? Yes

If yes:

What motivated you start? Wanting to be healthy, and set a good example for my kids.

What keeps you motivated to continue? Working out with my son, for his own health reasons.

Do your family members or friends participate with you? My son especially, and my daughters. That's about it.

Is group support helpful? That's the only reason I'm still doing it.

- Do you go to gyms? No

If no:

Where do you workout? My basement.

What equipment do you use, if any? Some freeweights, a bench, a heavy punching bag, a treadmill.

Is there a specific program or fitness routine you follow? Stronglifts 5x5, and the Bas Rutten Fighting CDs.

What would make the gym a more attractive option? Being actually near me, open hours I could take advantage of, and not prohibitively expensive.

- Are there any fitness/sport related activities you participate in outside the gym? Training for 5k and 10k runs, and MMA.

- Do you consider yourself a gamer? Yes.

If yes, what games do you play? Strategy games, mostly older ones, and JRPGs, and the occasional fighting game.

What about these games appeals to you? I like to take my time, I like huge far-reaching empires.

- Is there any aspect of gaming/nerd culture that might inspire you to workout or improve your fitness? A fighting game where my own exercise routines improve my fighter's abilities and appearance.

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides. 

Gender:  Male                    Age: 23                                         

- Are you on a fitness regimen? No

If no:

Why? Im just doing things at my own pace and trying to keep it interesting.

What would motivate you to begin? Finding something that interests me and having the energy for it.

Have you made attempts for improved fitness in the past? plenty of times

If yes, what made them not work for you? Lost interest or got depressed to the point i couldn't bring myself to do it.

If yes:

- Do you go to gyms? Yes

If yes:

What do you look for in a gym? (I.E. equipment, classes, location, times, price, etc.) A clean healthy friendly environment where people dont judge you and they help you if you need it.

What equipment do you use, if any? treadmill in the winter, otherwise miscellaneous weights. I just try to keep it interesting.

Is there a specific program or fitness routine you follow? not at the moment.

Is there anything about the gym you don’t like? public changing room and distance between lockers and showers.

If no:

Where do you workout?

- Are there any fitness/sport related activities you participate in outside the gym?

- Do you consider yourself a gamer? yeah

If yes, what games do you play? assassins creed, halo, mario, smash bros, sonic, legend of zelda.

What about these games appeals to you? Fun and excitement.

- Is there any aspect of gaming/nerd culture that might inspire you to workout or improve your fitness? everything

In brightest day, In blackest night, No evil shall escape my sight, Let those who worship evils might, beware my power, GREEN LANTERNS LIGHT!

Gender: Male                     Age: 20                                          

- Are you on a fitness regimen? Yes/No Not really, just work out daily

If no:

Why?

If yes:

What motivated you start? Nothing much, just enjoy being active

What keeps you motivated to continue? Nothing much, besides the results: healthy body and decent muscle definition

Do your family members or friends participate with you? Workout with my brother/friends sometimes

Is group support helpful?: Probably

If yes:

If no:

Where do you workout? At home

What equipment do you use, if any? Pull up bar, barbell

Is there a specific program or fitness routine you follow? No

What would make the gym a more attractive option? Cheaper price, walking distance, friends to go with

- Are there any fitness/sport related activities you participate in outside the gym? No, would like to try rock climbing and boxing

- Do you consider yourself a gamer? yes

If yes, what games do you play? Pretty much a little of every genre

What about these games appeals to you? Interesting storys, fun gameplay, exploration

- Is there any aspect of gaming/nerd culture that might inspire you to workout or improve your fitness? Sometimes I daydream about being a badass like some of the characters I play as.

Gender:   Male                   Age:   36                                       

If yes:

I had grown to be 323 lbs and I was tired of how I was living my life.  I wanted to lose my weight and run a marathon.

The amazing feeling I have of accomplishing my goals as I set them.  I'm currently en route to running that marathon in October!

No.

I don't work out with a group, but the support of friends and family in real life and on facebook have been invaluable.

- Do you go to gyms? Yes

If yes:

Equipment, location, and price, respectively.

Barbell, bench, squat rack, treadmill, assisted dips/chin-ups/pull-ups machine.

I'm in half-marathon training now.  When I'm not training for a race, I use StrongLifts 5x5.

Overcrowding and lack of equipment

Yes, running.

- Do you consider yourself a gamer?  Yes

Action games, MMORPGs, RPGs

What about these games appeals to you?  The storyline and social aspect (of MMOs)

Honestly, no.

Gender:  M                    Age:                                           31

If yes:

What motivated you start?  Realizing I was obese (didn't think it was that bad).

What keeps you motivated to continue?  To not be obese ever again and be a better runner.

Do your family members or friends participate with you? I made friends through running that I run regularly with.

Is group support helpful?  Definitely!

- Do you go to gyms? Not currently but have had gym memberships before.

If yes: (answering based on previous gym membership)

What do you look for in a gym? (I.E. equipment, classes, location, times, price, etc.)  location, price, and equipment

What equipment do you use, if any?  cycling, treadmill, barbell and squat rack

Is there a specific program or fitness routine you follow? no

If no: (answering based on current home gym)

Where do you workout? Run on the trails/roads, in my garage and yard

What equipment do you use, if any? Barbell, homemade squat stands, bench for bench press, tires, monkey bars (for pull ups)

Is there a specific program or fitness routine you follow?  Kind of made my own tailored one based on several plans.

What would make the gym a more attractive option?  close, barbell friendly, and reasonably priced

I do trail running with a group

If yes, what games do you play?  Typically games from the Sega Genesis and Super Nintendo era

What about these games appeals to you?  nostalgia, easy to play a quick game, catchy music, fun to play with my kids

- Is there any aspect of gaming/nerd culture that might inspire you to workout or improve your fitness?  I liked the idea of fitocracy since it is like leveling up a game character, but it was too time consuming to log my workouts on it instead of the notebook I keep to track my fitness.

Level 26, Primal Ultra Trail Scout, Non-Binary Robot

Gender:     F                 Age: 27                                         

If no:

Why?

If yes:

What motivated you start? Desire to be stronger/faster and see changes in my body.

What keeps you motivated to continue? I just feel better when I work out. I sleep better, I eat better. It's the glue that makes my day easier.

Do your family members or friends participate with you? My partner does, but not many family members or friends.

Is group support helpful? Not to me.

If yes:

What do you look for in a gym? (I.E. equipment, classes, location, times, price, etc.) Equipment. Must have a pool, plenty of space in the free weight section, and plentiful cardio machines. An open room for other workouts like burpees is really helpful, too.

What equipment do you use, if any? Squat rack, all dumbbells, pull-up bar, treadmill, stair machine

Is there a specific program or fitness routine you follow? I bounce around a lot from 10K training, Starting Strength, weight training.

Is there anything about the gym you don’t like? I don't like how crowded it can be, particularly certain areas like the benches, squat racks, etc.

If no:

Where do you workout?

- Are there any fitness/sport related activities you participate in outside the gym? Running in the park.

If yes, what games do you play? Skyrim. Clash of Clans (and other strategy games).

What about these games appeals to you? For the strategy games, I like to save up resources and then buy a lot of weapons/people/etc. Skyrim was exciting to get out of my world for a while and I really like the time and location setting (i.e. pre-rennaissance Norse culture).

- Is there any aspect of gaming/nerd culture that might inspire you to workout or improve your fitness? I like when nerds are really laid back and just excited if you're into what they're into. I dislike when people get fanatical about stuff and become know-it-alls. Nerds and fitness people who are open-minded about workouts, diets, or other fitness-related things are really cool. People who get fanatic about their diet and fitness are not very fun, to me.

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5

LOOOOL I JUST finished creating a survey on gym memberships for my business project (with similar questions)!!!! but it's an analytics program, about pricing. And I even threw in a conjoint analysis in there. Quite proud of myself >.>

But seriously, dude....create the survey using Survey Monkey or something--so much easier than filling it out in a forum.

~*~*Catalina Rea*~*~

~*.*.*~

Race: Gnome | Class: Level 0 Rebel

Aspiration: Druid Warrior

Level: 0

Stats: STR 0  DEX 0 |  STA 0 |  CON 0 |  WIS | CHA 0

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"It's not about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here's some gems (they're mine, though, don't touch): <><><><><>

~*.*.*~

Thanks to the new people who took this survey, it's appreciated!

Catalina Rea - Yeah, in hindsight, Survey Monkey would have been easier for online. Something I'll be keeping in mind in the future, definitely. Thanks! From what I've found so far, most people put pricing as one of the most important factors in deciding on a gym, so I bet your study will be interesting. Good luck with your project!

LEVEL 2 ASSASSIN

Challenge Thing

Gender: Male                     Age: 23                                         

If no:

Why?

If yes:

What motivated you start? I've always been physically active, and I've always known that being on a regimen is better than just working out here or there. You stick with it this way.

What keeps you motivated to continue? To be honest, other people. I'm pretty judgmental (in my own head) and I don't want to become some of the people I see around me.

Do your family members or friends participate with you? Not with me on my regimen, but they're all very active as well.

Is group support helpful? Yes. My favorite workouts were the ones I did in college with a close group of five friends.

- Do you go to gyms? Yes/No (No, but I wish I could. No monies.)

If yes:

What do you look for in a gym? (I.E. equipment, classes, location, times, price, etc.) Low prices, no long lines for free weights, bench, or squat racks. Cool classes would be a bonus, but I probably wouldn't take them unless they were free or at verrry low prices.

What equipment do you use, if any? Free weights, bench, squat rack, pull-up bar, deadlift platform.

Is there a specific program or fitness routine you follow? Nope. Just the one I make up in my head (usually planned out weeks in advance, though).

Is there anything about the gym you don’t like? Too many machines and too many ellipticals.

If no:

Where do you workout? My house.

What equipment do you use, if any? Pull-up bar.

Is there a specific program or fitness routine you follow? Just the one I make up (see above).

What would make the gym a more attractive option? If it were free! ;)

- Are there any fitness/sport related activities you participate in outside the gym? Anything I can get my hands on--mostly pick-up stuff, no leagues.

- Do you consider yourself a gamer? Not really. I play video games occasionally, but not enough that they define me.

If no, are there any games you enjoy playing regularly? CoD, Halo (even though I suck), Skyrim, Smash Bros (all systems)

What about these games appeals to you? They're skill-based. You can get better, and the better you get, the easier it is to beat a level or someone else. And they're fun even when you're not as good as other people. You can still play with others and not feel like you're terrible (even though I really do suck at Halo, there are certain aspects like driving vehicles or using a sword that I can do just as well as players that have been playing for much longer).

- Is there any aspect of gaming/nerd culture that might inspire you to workout or improve your fitness? It would be very interesting to see a gym incorporate Steve's system of levelling up into their members. Maybe you could look into that. Have a "members skill board".

“The world is indeed full of peril and in it there are many dark places.

But still there is much that is fair. And though in all lands, love is now

mingled with grief, it still grows, perhaps, the greater.â€

--J.R.R. Tolkien, "Return of the King"

"Are the gods not just?"

"Oh no, child. What would become of us if they were?"

--C.S. Lewis, "Till We Have Faces"