Bubbling sensation in knee?

Hey all,

Since last Thursday, I have been having a really weird bubbling sensation in my left knee. Usually just a few minutes each day. No pain at all, and it seems to mostly occur when I am sitting at work (generally good posture there). Anyone have any ideas? I’ve done some searches and I have run into a host of different answers… I’ve been doing a lot of sprinting lately (2x a week generally) and would like to sprint after work today if possible, so I wonder if that might be the cause? Mostly just sprinting in straight lines. No history of knee issues, no soreness, no pain... I just don’t want to do something that blows out my knee. Thanks!

If that's what I'm thinking it is, take care. It might be a reflection of your workouts. I had those after I played handball without the right sneakers (either with sprinting or handball, you really need the right sneakers that can support you and cushion every single step you do. After all, walking and running is a sequence of balance. Running is a even harder sequence. First you get unbalanced without one foot on the ground and then you get back to your balance with the other foot, which means you will have to support yourself every time you put your feet on the ground. Sorry if it's confusing, but I was trying to explain you the importance of the right sneakers xD). Which kind of sneakers are you using?

Thanks for the reply Annelise. I do sprints in one of two running shoes, both are Asics brand with a fair bit of padding (one was the Gel-contend model, not sure on the other). I feel pretty good about my shoes, Asics have a good reputation and I've used them in the past for running (sprints, cardio, flag football, paintball, etc) and never had an issues. But that could be misplaced optimism.

I have another pair of shoes (pumas) for days when I don't plan to sprint, less padding which helps on some of the heavy lifts.

No bubbling today at least... well, so far

My knees have crunched, bubbled, and popped since a hyperextension injury when I was 12. I haven't had any remarkable pain in it since I started lifting, but they have gotten louder. I bounced it off a couple physical therapists at work and they both let me listen to theirs that were just as bad. They said it's nothing to worry about.

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

Thanks for the reply Annelise. I do sprints in one of two running shoes, both are Asics brand with a fair bit of padding (one was the Gel-contend model, not sure on the other). I feel pretty good about my shoes, Asics have a good reputation and I've used them in the past for running (sprints, cardio, flag football, paintball, etc) and never had an issues. But that could be misplaced optimism.

I have another pair of shoes (pumas) for days when I don't plan to sprint, less padding which helps on some of the heavy lifts.

No bubbling today at least... well, so far

I used Puma when I played handball and I really liked them. Unfortunately, I ended up ruining my knees with that and now I have to be really really careful when I squat (only after a good warm-up). It gives me a sensation like it's going to snap if I don't do that D:

Your case might be some sort of sore aftermath (within the muscle, without hurting), which is no big deal. Focus on your warm-up (a good warm-up prevents stuff like this) whenever you are running. At least, 20min for it. If you would like, I would also recommend relaxing your knees after a long day. Use a soaked towel with warm/hot water (be careful with the temperature. You don't want to burn yourself) for 5min and then massage them softly. Repeat if you want. It won't make you feel bad, that's for sure. The massage will help your muscles stretching and prevent cramps when you're exercising. That's a version of a technique I used with my clients when I need to relax their muscles for activities.

Asics is not a bad brand. I also buy that brand for me, but I never used it to run. For my brother, for example, I always have to buy Nike or Adidas because they really have better quality (they may be expensive, but they last longer and I really like the transpiration system in those brands). My sports teachers also recommended those brands and I had to buy one pair for their classes. I have no idea if the padding makes really much difference comparing those brands, but I would believe so. Even within Nike, some sneakers feel weird in my feet (the padding feels misplaced for my feet shape), for example.

Oh, and physical therapists (and occupational therapists, like me, but I've just recently graduated) aren't really the best examples to compare yourself with! xD

After a few years of practice, they can be in worse shape than a regular person. Always moving around, squatting, lifting... They need to take care of themselves.

Accumulated injuries are the price you pay for not sitting on your ass... Crunchy but non-painful knees don't even count.

Congrats on graduating OT school!

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

Thanks for the responses, all! Finally went to see a doc, since I was feeling less stable in my left knee. Doc says I have runner's knee, basically my kneecap flips open a little. I will do some more research today, but the doc wasn't concerned She said I was good to sprint and squat as usual, but I went to sprint and my knee feels all weird. Might scale that back for a while.

Prescription is to strengthen up my quads. I think most of my lifts hit my hamstrings and glutes more than Quads, so I need to add a quad component to my workouts. Also going to try the soaked towel massage, can't hurt!

Dunno, but it sounds a little like nerve issues. It doesn't have to be dangerous - it's just something in your nerve system that is acting strangely. It might be a que to just move your leg a bit more often, or it could be a short nerve getting stuck in the joint.

Race: Reindeer   l   Lvl: Adventurer

I will travel across the land, searching far and wide~