Home racks

Raev

Do you have a power/squat rack at home?  Which do you have?  Do you like it?  Did you build it?

I'm looking into getting a rack next year for my home and am starting the research process on it now.

Why next year instead of now?  The wife and I are house shopping.  She's agreed that my want for a power rack at home is something we can make sure I get, as long as she gets the storage space she wants for her shoes. :D

• Like 4

level 4 Gnoll warrior
STR 6|DEX 5|STA 4|CON 5|WIS 5|CHA 2

Building a better Raev, part 1.

Goal: working set of 350# squat, 235# bench, 370# deadlift, 15% or lower BF%

Fix slight pelvic tilt, reinforce lower back to help disc issue

I am on your side of the fence here. I want one to take my body weight workouts up a notch or so. I need one that's sturdy and has a small footprint XD collapsible is even better. Today I saw once of my coworkers who owns once called "the Rack" and that looks fairly legit. It's sturdy for sure. I looked one up on Ebay going for $70 at the moment. My only issue would be if it can be raised higher.

°~°

• Like 1

°¬° 

I bought mine from barbells4me on Amazon but he is out of stock at the moment. I had about $300 into it shipped and I couldn't be happier. It's very sturdy and with a couple pairs of plates on the rear pegs doesn't wobble at all. He also sells weight storage pegs and dip bars that fit the hole spacing. It has a knurled chin bar across the front, but I already had a power tower before I bought my rack.

If you have a Dick's nearby they have a half rack for about the same price that looks legit. I wanted a power rack for doing band work or I would have skipped the wait and just bought the Dick's half rack.

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

Ooh, I just found a few "build your own" links.  I like the wooden one...

Wooden home made rack

Metal home made rack

Just checked that out, very nice.  I know what my father-in-law's next project is going to be :D

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

Wood makes me nervous, espeically with heavier weights.  I found a used rack on craiglist for $75.  There is always someone selling their gear- and usually in "like new" condition.  I built a very respecatble home gym for about $300.

If the proper grading of wood, reinforcing and type of wood is paid attention to you have nothing to worry about there.  Remember, most houses in North America are wood framed.  Wood is up to the job, the builder just has to make smart choices.  According to the WWPA (Western Wood Products Association), a 2x4 that is DF-L stud grade, at 16' oc, with an 8ft. wall height plus 20 psf wind load holds an 'allowable axial' load of about 1,100 pounds.

level 4 Gnoll warrior
STR 6|DEX 5|STA 4|CON 5|WIS 5|CHA 2

Building a better Raev, part 1.

Goal: working set of 350# squat, 235# bench, 370# deadlift, 15% or lower BF%

Fix slight pelvic tilt, reinforce lower back to help disc issue

If the proper grading of wood, reinforcing and type of wood is paid attention to you have nothing to worry about there...Wood is up to the job, the builder just has to make smart choices.

I built these for about $70 in supplies based on the designs at http://homemadestrength.blogspot.ca/2011/04/more-than-just-squat-stands.html.

It took me maybe 3 hrs total not including curing time for the cement.

I'm not at the point where I'm moving tons, but these have held at least 250lbs, and I think they're good for a fair bit more. They are held by ample screws, lots of carpenter's glue, and of course the cement at the base.

Sorry I couldn't get a bigger picture in here...

post-7351-0-65927800-1391386558_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Level 6 Lycan Ranger                                                                                                   
STR 16 | DEX 3 | STA 5 | CON 5 | WIS 9 | CHA 2 
Challenge the 6th: Irishrages prepares for the BAMF plane of existence
Irishrages' epic: Chapter 1 2 3 4 5
Preparation * Focus * Discipline

30%
30%

My wife and I will be pulling the trigger on this one soon.  Currently shows out of stock, but it was listed at $260ish.  Hard to beat that price for a full rack that'll fit in a low ceiling basement.  

http://www.amazon.com/TDS-C-92560-B-POWER-RACK-HIGH/dp/B008FPVTL6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390311343&sr=8-1&keywords=tds+power+rack

EDIT:

Another website that has it listed for $300.

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/92560.html

Daily Log ]

I just finished building a wooden power rack about 2 wks ago. It cost me about $132 in total materials from Lowes.

I already owned the drill. :)

Lemme find a pic

The plans I used were from woodenpowerrack.blogspot.com.

I only deviated in that I did not trim the 4x4's to 7feet. However now, I only have about 1.5" clearance to my garage ceiling

• Like 1

Ooh, I just found a few "build your own" links.  I like the wooden one...

Wooden home made rack

Metal home made rack

I really like the look of the wood one- very solid. 

If I were to modify it, I would add more cross-bracing. Personal preference. I wouldn't be afraid of the wood yielding (I guess I could run a FEM on it after work), but there's something wonderful about the feel of walking into a solid rack after lifting something heavy!

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs

I went with the Rogue R3 shorty. It's pricier than the other options in the thread so far, but I love it.

finishedgym.jpg

Do you have it anchored to the concrete? If so, did you use the Rogue concrete anchors that they have on their site? I'm looking at the same setup but I'm weary of drilling into my basement floor.

I'm going back and forth between buying and building. My biggest concern with building one is, I know it will need to be taken apart and moved more than once.. more like once a year judging by the rest of my house. I Need something solid enough to hang my rings from. Also I only want to buy it once. If it could be a rack I give to my grandkid some day that would be great.

I'm debating between a few racks right now. I really like the Rogue's but $$$ and I don't want one that needs bolted to the floor (see above). I'm trying to find my old lifting coach's number to ask what it was he bought (all those years ago)

Body-Solid GPR378 http://www.amazon.com/Body-Solid-GPR378-Body-Solid-Power/dp/B00HAVB0DI/ref=sr_1_19?m=A34VZPY1E9TTJO&s=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1400377210&sr=1-19

Powertec WB-PR11 or 14 (think it's just model year difference) http://www.bestbuyfitness.com/product_detail_3083.aspx or http://www.topbrandfitness.com/products/powertec-workbench-power-rack-system-i-wb-pr11

TDS-C92563 http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/92563.html  cheaper shipping at Amazon http://www.amazon.com/New-York-Barbells-C-92563-B-Rack-Black/dp/B009L772A4/ref=sr_1_19?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1400376945&sr=1-19&keywords=power+rack

and there are also the cheaper Titan and Atlas racks I see on ebay and Amazon but those kinda scare me. I'd really like to stay under 600 since I need to get a FID bench, bar and weights too. But again I only want to buy it once. I don;t want something I'll outgrow if I ever exceed what I used to lift in HS

Looking at this bench http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004XCLH6M/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER Edit:found a cheaper bench

and getting a cheap 300lbs set from Dunhams but replacing the bar with http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001K4OPY2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER for squats and deads

And the rest of the weight from craigslist.

Opinions?

Level: 2 Half Orc Class: Adventurer  STR: 3 DEX: 3 STA: 3 CON: 3 WIS: 2 CHA: 1

My Daily Battle

"Do or do not, there is no try" - Yoda

You will never be free until you free yourself from the prison of your own false thoughts.

I have an Atlas rack from Amazon and would recommend it to anyone.

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"