Where have you been all my life?

Well. Very unusually for me, I find myself very shy and nervous to introduce myself. I don't know if anyone reads these things, but here we go. My name is Sarah, and I am 22 years old. I am 5'9" and weigh 180 lbs, have long hair that is subject to change color at whim, but is currently Asuka red. My entire life, I have been ridiculed for being tall, being thick, or most often for being a nerd. I grew up believing with all my heart I was fat and ugly, and that my family only disagreed because they were supposed to. I've always had a problem with comfort eating, and gained a strong sugar addiction very young. In high school, I tried playing soccer, but quickly became disillusioned from being constantly benched and mocked by the skinny players, and quit after a single season. I would eat whole tubs of ice cream in a sitting, and grew chunkier than ever. At my largest, I was size 16 and weighed 191 lbs.

Then something changed. I enlisted in the delayed entry program of the US Marine Corps at the beginning of my senior year, determined to prove everyone wrong, and become a new person. I wanted to be a part of an elite brotherhood, and experience lifelong camaradie with the nation's finest. I lost 30 lbs- some healthily, through diet and exercise, but mostly through the recruiters' dehydration tactics. I began to struggle with bulemia and self-mutilation to deal with the stress. Fortunately, before either became a permanent problem I shipped off to boot camp. It was the hardest experience of my life. I got pretty strong, although only barely enough to make it. But I made it. I had begun to peel back the layers of loser to show the world the steel inside. I was a lean size 8 and bursting with confidence.

And then it went wrong. I badly injured my knee in a field training exercise, and was on crutches for six months during job schools while I waited for surgery. I slowly gained weight, and size, until I was pushing 170 and size 12. My fitness level was nearly nonexistent, and I was discovering that the much-vaunted camaraderie of the armed forces was an illusion. As a female mechanic, I was even more of an outcast than I'd ever been. Struggling with loneliness and too embarrassed about my poor fitness level to go to the gym or track, I have been on and off remedial physical fitness programs. My weight has crept up over the years, although I've managed to maintain a fairly healthy size 10.

But it isn't good enough. It isn't enough.

I want to be inspiring. I want to turn heads and drop jaws. I want to climb any obstacle, make the world my playground.

And so I looked online... And I found you.

I am overwhelmed as I type this. An entire, thriving community of fellow nerds who are strong and fit and supportive? Is this the brotherhood I've been searching for? I think so. And I am thrilled. I joined the fitness academy right away, and can't wait to progress. I am an unlikely heroine at the start of her journey. I have been given the basic weapons and the means to upgrade them. I understand now that working out is like grinding- maybe I can only defeat the baby mobs right now, but with dedication and persistence I will steadily level up. The end product of me will look back at this me as a bit of amusing nostalgia from her perch on the top of the Galaga tower.

I'm ready. Will you help me?

post-26639-0-97937900-1391410587_thumb.j

post-26639-0-86498700-1391410640_thumb.j

• Like 1

Welcome. Sounds like you would be an awesome assassin. Also looking at your pictures, you are already gorgeous and a head turner so all you really need to work on is making the world your playground

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

"I grew up believing with all my heart I was fat and ugly, and that my family only disagreed because they were supposed to."

Man does that resonate.

I ended up in the Fire service instead of the Corps, though -- for the most part, that "Brotherhood and cameraderie" is very much here and no joke (maybe you should consider Fire as a possible next career move? ;-) ).

But yes, people do read, and people will support.

Are you still in, or did that injury boot you back out to civilian life? Either way, welcome aboard and stow yer gear, Marine -- you're gonna be on the TO&E here for a while. ;-)

• Like 1

Insert witty & pithy saying here.

Welcome Sarah!

While you're already pretty damn awesome for being able to defy everyone's cruel expectations and do what you want regardless (also pretty attractive too), I fully understand the need for wholehearted support, so whatever you need, just ask; be it someone more experienced or even this humble little rebel. There'll be someone willing to help. Promise.

As for your goals, it looks like you'll be at home in the assassins or rangers; assassins have lots of pretty toys though and love to gossip, so I'll point you over there. And flee because I just called all the assassins gossipy hens of death and don't want to get caught by them any time soon.

Bye!

P.S.

It's late in the current six week challenge, but it certainly can't hurt to pop over to the Level 1 Rebels, the Assassins and whatever else takes your fancy and get reading/posting/lurking.

*disappears clumsily into the darkness*

I was never here!

Reboot complete.

Level 0 Hobbit

Intro ¦

]"When all treasures are tried . . . truth is the fairest." - Langland

Semper fidelis!

Welcome

I was one of the elitist jarheads who you probably hated. Full of myself and my fitness.

I could run forever and was a monster.

I apologize for being a tool but now we are both here. I'm a 39 year old now with a gut and a sedentary job.

I guess it is a fitting revenge for those I harassed about pt.

Marines, eh?  Too bad you couldn't be Army Strong ;) ha, just kidding.  That injury bug can really do a number on fitness and motivation levels, can't it?  Yours was a bit worse than mine, but I can relate to the feeling of frustration.  Never be too embarassed to get back to work on the track or in the gym though.  Just getting back there puts you miles ahead of everyone who isn't.

Also, go Ranger.  Rangers have cookies.

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

1k Row under 3:20

Back Flip

Bodyweight Turkish Get-up

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

Cookies are the devil. *razz*

You've been eating the wrong cookies :P

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

Back Flip

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

Marines, eh?  Too bad you couldn't be Army Strong ;) ha, just kidding.  That injury bug can really do a number on fitness and motivation levels, can't it?  Yours was a bit worse than mine, but I can relate to the feeling of frustration.  Never be too embarassed to get back to work on the track or in the gym though.  Just getting back there puts you miles ahead of everyone who isn't.

Also, go Ranger.  Rangers have cookies.

You're too late the assassins already claimed her. Muahahaha!

• Like 1

"I like you just the way you are" - Mr. Rogers

In Br0din's name we gain.

You're too late the assassins already claimed her. Muahahaha!

I realized this belatedly :grumpy:

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

Back Flip

Never compromise.