Mini Quest 5 - Stretch

Hiraedd

One thing I’m always missing in my workout is stretching.  I know it’s a good idea, I’m just busy and I always forget to plan for it.  While there are lots of places you can get good stretching information, often there’s so much that it’s easy to become overwhelmed.  This week, we’re going to read Steve’s article on stretching, and give it a try.

Stretch at least 2 days this week.  If you have stretching already in your workouts, good for you.  You can count it for the purposes of this challenge.  If for some reason you can’t stretch, just pass this challenge by: it’s more important that you look after yourself than to collect some stat points.  If you have another set of stretches you’d like to follow, that’s fine.  Just don’t get lost in all the details, variations, and choices.  Keep it simple and get it done.

While you're stretching your body, start stretching your horizons. Start dreaming of the things you want to accomplish, and how your next set of goals could help you work towards them. Week 5 is a great time to start planning what next challenge will look like so that you have lots of time to consider how best to word your goals and what the possible limiting factors might be (eg: holidays, special occasions, trips, late nights, work meetings, visits to Grandma, etc.).

So this week, Stretch your body twice and stretch your mind with some ideas about what you might do next challenge/what challenges you might face (and post them!).

This challenge is worth +1 DEX.

• Like 3

Hiraedd the Twice Risen:

Hamadryad; Pilgrim

battle log

Oooh, another lovely mini! I like!

Thank you! :)

I'm planning on attending my usual yoga class on Friday, and will probably turn my rest day on Sunday into another stretchy experience.

As for stretching my mind - yep, about time to think about the next challenge! Thanks for the reminder!

Plus, there's also some life stuff to think over. Will do!

Hobbit 

Challenges: 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9| 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

My shiny new "battle" log - probably more of a plodding-along log, but hey, it's mine!

YOU HAVE POWERS! we were actually just talking in one of the threads the other day how we don't stretch enough....I'm on to you, you Bene Geserit witch!

• Like 1

Level 5 Tiefling Ranger/Assassin Hybrid

|STR:15 | DEX:5 | STA:9 | CON:6 | WIS:6 | CHA:4 |

My Current Challenge

Challenges: First | Second |Third | Fourth | Fifth |  Sixth

Facebook Anyone?

EMAIL!

Tiefling Ranger/Rogue Hybrid with ShadowDancer prestige, wolf companion, and Spiked Chain proficiency, BOOM my awesomeness just broke your campaign - Me

I guess, while I was failing last week's challenge, and sitting on Sunday, trying to believe that I could move forward...I was stretching my mind!  I have a good idea what my next challenge will look like...simpler, cleaner, but still stretching!

I have had to stretch more and more as I have added more and more walking...I do have my stretches, but for this challenge, I'll check out Steve's blog AND I'll pull out one of my stretching videos...I'll even try to get WildRoss to stretch that lower back of his!

Thanks so much Kim, for all you do for this guild!  Love you, girl!

• Like 1

In His hands and Under His wings, Phil 4:13; Is 40:31; Jer 29:11
 Adventurer by choice

I guess, while I was failing last week's challenge, and sitting on Sunday, trying to believe that I could move forward...I was stretching my mind!  I have a good idea what my next challenge will look like...simpler, cleaner, but still stretching!

I have had to stretch more and more as I have added more and more walking...I do have my stretches, but for this challenge, I'll check out Steve's blog AND I'll pull out one of my stretching videos...I'll even try to get WildRoss to stretch that lower back of his!

Thanks so much Kim, for all you do for this guild!  Love you, girl!

Adventurer by choice

Since stretching is one of my goals, and doing pretty well, I will interpret the challenge differently.

I will stretch on the day I don't have any exercise. So, essentially, I stretch every day to claim the point.

I already did a stretch this morning.

10 minutes of investment is well worth in the morning, and my shoulder/neck feels much better already.

Here is my "short" program. Each stretch, count 15 in your head. If you are in hurry, then 10. If you have time, count 20.

Don't force. Move slowly. Understretching is better than overstretching.

Don't forget to exhale as you do the each move.

1. Calf: Stand up carf - stand up, reach down to toe with one hand, and hold the knee with the other hand and pull the toe up. Both sides

2. Low back: Put both hands under the toe and pull your body down

3. Chest: Stand up - both hands behind your hip and hold hands. Widen shoulder and pull arms back. 

4: Ab: Both hands high up. Hold hands, pull both hands backward slowly.

5: Ab-side: Stand bit wider. Left arm over the head. Pull the left arm with right arm to right. Do opposite.

6: Neck: Pull gently head one way with your hand. Do opposite

7: Front Shoulder: Go to the door way. Hold the door jam. Pull the arm toward your back. Do opposite:

8: Back shoulder: One arm across front of your body. The other arm pushes elbow to stretch back shoulder

9: Quad: Stand one leg. Hold the door with right hand. Pull up the right leg behind with left hand, and pull up the leg. Do opposite.

10: Calf: Stand against the wall/door. One leg forward. One leg back. Head is on the wall. Stretch calf.

11: Low back: Stand up with natural stance. Fold body as much as you can by hugging knees

12: Do #2 again. You'll notice you can do better than first time.

13: Rotate both arms 10 times

14: Rotate head left and right

15. Shake your wrists.

Done!

You should be done in less than 10 minutes and you'll feel great.

• Like 4

Racquet wielding rock gnome: Ranger - L6 - STR: 13, DEX: 8, STA: 13.5, CON: 12, WIS: 14, CHA: 11

Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice.
And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition…
Stay hungry. Stay foolish.†– Steve Jobs, Stanford University, 2005

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take. -- Wayne Gretzky

6Wks Challenges: #9, #8, #7, #6, #5#4#3, #2.5#2, #1

Match records MyFitnesspal Fitbit Runtastic Strava

Hmm I was thinking about adding stretches to my routine. Good timing. :-)

Woden uses ravens for messages, I use a Samsung S4.

Where to find me: Current Challenge : Battle Log Facebook : Instagram :

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

Great tutorial there @TennisGeek, I've never stretched that thoroughly, I'll be sure to give it a try, 'cause I want to "feel great too!" :-)

But seriosuly, I'm guilty of forgetting to stretch after workout or sometimes when I remember I try to do it when it's too late (e.g. in the shower). Thankfully though I never seem to have major pains/aches the following day since ever since the first month/initial exercise hurdle when beginning my post-NF life.

'Cause those can be a right pain in the...

IntroductionBodyware: Fitness Journal

Challenge Belt: (1)(2)(3)(4), (5), (6), (7), [WOOT](8), [TEMP HIATUS], (9)

Bodyweight Info: Starting: 264.5lbs, Current: 167.8lbs (NEUTRAL)

IronGlider v2.10, Adventurer Rank: Level 8

I have a copy of "The Stretching" book.

The "short" I posted is not in that book, but that's what I kinda sorta do when I don't feel like stretching, and no need to sit or lay down, so can be done pretty much anywhere.

When I need a serious one (after full speed tennis) I open the book.

"Tennis" stretching routines needs like 20 minutes or so, and it's always well worth the time spent.

It's not an expensive book, and it's a must have for nerdy athletes like us.

• Like 2

Racquet wielding rock gnome: Ranger - L6 - STR: 13, DEX: 8, STA: 13.5, CON: 12, WIS: 14, CHA: 11

Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice.
And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition…
Stay hungry. Stay foolish.†– Steve Jobs, Stanford University, 2005

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take. -- Wayne Gretzky

6Wks Challenges: #9, #8, #7, #6, #5#4#3, #2.5#2, #1

Match records MyFitnesspal Fitbit Runtastic Strava

I will add one extra streching this week in addition to the one after my workout.

• Like 1

"There is beauty in hardship / There are poems in grief" -Assemblage 23, Damaged

| STR:2.25 | DEX:2.25 | STA:2 | CON:1.25 | CHA:3.25 | WIS:7 | A place I will collect my woots - if I remember

Challenges | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |  6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 15.115.2 |

Milythaels'  HOoRAY for which I am grateful | Today, right now, I am alive. And that is good.

It is amazing the power of those small gestures of love and kindness have on our lives. <3 - Liberator

"I myself am made entirely of flaws, stiched together with good intentions." - Augusten Burroughs, Magical thinking:True stories

"Pick up the pieces and keep going, one painfully slow step at a time." Hiraedd the twice-risen, hamadryad. 

"Spread love and understanding. Use force if necessary." - Leon Trotsky

"Let me think about the people I care about the most, and when they fail or disappoint me, I still love them, I still give them chances, and I still see the best in them. Let me extend that generosity to myself." zefrank1, An Invocation for Beginnings

"I don't feel guilty for wanting. That's like being mad because you have to breathe or pee. It just is." Someone in Reddit

"If you do strange things, strange things will happen!"

"That's it! Now go make something beautiful." -Jake Parker

Hira, does karate stretching count? :tongue:

Is it done after a workout?  Then yes! :)

And as far as I know the next challenge starts February 24th, but take that as a soft date, since I haven't seen a schedule posted anywhere yet.

So far for me, 2 days of stretching at recess.  And I'm tossing around some ideas for next challenge, but nothing solid yet.  Torn between some core work, more of the starwars workout,  or balance stuff....and about 3 eating goals.  Good thing I have time to narrow it down!!

Hiraedd the Twice Risen:

Hamadryad; Pilgrim

battle log

I have two days of stretching in as well now.

Woden uses ravens for messages, I use a Samsung S4.

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

On the stretching the mind regarding the next challenge, I have been pondering a few ideas. I am thinking of shaking up my exercise routine, maybe adding a reading goal, or meditation/devotional goal. I do want to add a food base goal, maybe based on calorie intake. Pondering. :indecisiveness:

Stretching the body:

- Yoga class on Friday

- Extra leg stretches on Sunday (quads, hammies, glutes, hip flexors, groin) - Those reminded me that especially the glutes and hammies could use some regular stretching love...

Stretching the mind, regarding obstacles:

1. Not getting enough sleep

I have found that I need to tweak my schedule, because I'm running myself a little ragged at the moment. Getting up at 5 a.m. is usually not too bad for me (I am a morning person anyway) - if I get to sleep somewhere around 10:30 / 11 p.m. at the latest. If that's not happening for whatever reason, getting up at 5 turns out to be a pretty stupid idea.

Since sleep isn't happening for reasons beyond my control, I'll minimize the number of days I need to get up that early - from previously four (Mon - Thu) to exactly one (Wed).

I need to switch some stuff around, and it's not ideal, but I need to change something or I will crash and burn in the not too distant future.

Next week I'll have a trial run with the new time-table to see how it goes, so I can hopefully hit the ground running (so to speak, NO actual running involved) once the next challenge starts.

2. Kneehab

Since I will probably be in kneehab (physical therapy) for the next couple of weeks or even months, setting exercise goals for the next challenge(s) will probably be limited to chin-up practice or anything else that doesn't involve legs / lower body. Might be a good opportunity for another nutrition goal (limited sugar intake maybe? Going Paleo / Primal for the challenge? Or even a Whole30? ).

I'll have to think a bit more on that one.

• Like 1

Hobbit 

Challenges: 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9| 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

My shiny new "battle" log - probably more of a plodding-along log, but hey, it's mine!

One thing I’m always missing in my workout is stretching.  I know it’s a good idea, I’m just busy and I always forget to plan for it.  While there are lots of places you can get good stretching information, often there’s so much that it’s easy to become overwhelmed.  This week, we’re going to read Steve’s article on stretching, and give it a try.

Stretch at least 2 days this week.  If you have stretching already in your workouts, good for you.  You can count it for the purposes of this challenge.  If for some reason you can’t stretch, just pass this challenge by: it’s more important that you look after yourself than to collect some stat points.  If you have another set of stretches you’d like to follow, that’s fine.  Just don’t get lost in all the details, variations, and choices.  Keep it simple and get it done.

While you're stretching your body, start stretching your horizons. Start dreaming of the things you want to accomplish, and how your next set of goals could help you work towards them. Week 5 is a great time to start planning what next challenge will look like so that you have lots of time to consider how best to word your goals and what the possible limiting factors might be (eg: holidays, special occasions, trips, late nights, work meetings, visits to Grandma, etc.).

So this week, Stretch your body twice and stretch your mind with some ideas about what you might do next challenge/what challenges you might face (and post them!).

This challenge is worth +1 DEX.

I did not give the proper guild leader the thanks for this....Thank you!

• Like 1

Adventurer by choice

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines