Help with eating more calories

Lara

Hello to everybody,

I am sure you can help here with my trouble:

I want to put a bit of weight on (5-7 kilos) as a part of my fitness plan. I'll be starting the beginner's workout next week (i've been doing "a mile a day") and I want to eat more calories, to help to build muscle while not loosing weight.

I eat an average of 1500 cal. a day, I've been eating paleo for a year and a half now, and I was thinking I could start by adding 300 calories a day, because it would be easy to do it by simply taking a shake: coconut milk, egg yolk and some fruit. But, are 300 calories enough to start?

And, could anyone suggest alternatives to shakes? I know there's the GOMAD think, I've read it in a Steve's article, but milk always makes me throw up, so it's out of question.

Thank you for reading and have a nice day!

• Like 1

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty.

Adventures don't start until you get into the forest.

If you eat a calorie surplus, you will not lose weight, that's for sure.

Here's a link with a handy dandy calculator to figure out how much you need to eat based on your gender, age, activity level, etc. I found this courtesy of Waldo. I wish I could help you more, but I am really not an expert (not even a novice) on this stuff. From what I know, if you want to build muscle you'll need to up protein and not just calories.

If milk is no good for you, maybe egg whites? They contain a fair bit of protein and little calories compared to the yolk. You could add some of that to your shake. As for stuff besides shakes... Find a good beef jerky? 

Sorry. I wish I could help more, but this is really not my are of expertise.

• Like 1

Current form: Chubby House Cat (lvl4)

Weight objective: 20%

S. 4 P. 6 E. 4 C. 7 I. 8 A. 4 L. 5

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

If you eat a calorie surplus, you will not lose weight, that's for sure.

Here's a link with a handy dandy calculator to figure out how much you need to eat based on your gender, age, activity level, etc. I found this courtesy of Waldo. I wish I could help you more, but I am really not an expert (not even a novice) on this stuff. From what I know, if you want to build muscle you'll need to up protein and not just calories.

If milk is no good for you, maybe egg whites? They contain a fair bit of protein and little calories compared to the yolk. You could add some of that to your shake. As for stuff besides shakes... Find a good beef jerky? 

Sorry. I wish I could help more, but this is really not my are of expertise.

Thank you very much, SilverRapier,

I'll take a look this afternoon to your link. And thank you for the protein tip.

I had to search for what beef jerky is. Some kind of cured meat, it seems? In that case I'll take the spanish version: cured ham (jamón ibérico). Yummy!

Have a nice day!

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

Hello to everybody,

I am sure you can help here with my trouble:

I want to put a bit of weight on (5-7 kilos) as a part of my fitness plan. I'll be starting the beginner's workout next week (i've been doing "a mile a day") and I want to eat more calories, to help to build muscle while not loosing weight.

I eat an average of 1500 cal. a day, I've been eating paleo for a year and a half now, and I was thinking I could start by adding 300 calories a day, because it would be easy to do it by simply taking a shake: coconut milk, egg yolk and some fruit. But, are 300 calories enough to start?

And, could anyone suggest alternatives to shakes? I know there's the GOMAD think, I've read it in a Steve's article, but milk always makes me throw out, so it's out of question.

Thank you for reading and have a nice day!

That's actually a very reasonable approach.  Add 300 calories/day, track your progress - if that's not enough, add another 300, etc.  The key thing is tracking your average food intake and weight over time.  Wait at least 2-3 weeks after making a change to judge whether it's had an impact.  Weight can bounce around a bit, so average 5-7 days of weight measurements, and look at the long-term trend over a span of multiple weeks.

• Like 1

"Restlessness is discontent - and discontent is the first necessity of progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man-and I will show you a failure." -Thomas Edison

There's a cool trick to both adding more calories to your diet as well as controlling hunger. Take a tablespoon of olive oil [about 120 kcal] half an hour before a meal. Sounds weird, but it works for me, as I start my meals with a slight "full" sensation.

However, these calories are only fats, these won't help build mass or aid recovery apart from being calories. 

Depending on what and how you are eating I'd research pre/peri/post workout nutrition before adding calories to the rest of your day.

• Like 1

Level 0 Were-Huorn 

Mastering runes, eating prunes and getting bruised in the temple of dues.

That's actually a very reasonable approach.  Add 300 calories/day, track your progress - if that's not enough, add another 300, etc.  The key thing is tracking your average food intake and weight over time.  Wait at least 2-3 weeks after making a change to judge whether it's had an impact.  Weight can bounce around a bit, so average 5-7 days of weight measurements, and look at the long-term trend over a span of multiple weeks.

That was what I was thinking about. I'll do this for two weeks and then I'll see is something is happening. Thanks for your comment, it confirms what I thought. Have a nice day, Zorch!

There's a cool trick to both adding more calories to your diet as well as controlling hunger. Take a tablespoon of olive oil [about 120 kcal] half an hour before a meal. Sounds weird, but it works for me, as I start my meals with a slight "full" sensation.

However, these calories are only fats, these won't help build mass or aid recovery apart from being calories. 

Depending on what and how you are eating I'd research pre/peri/post workout nutrition before adding calories to the rest of your day.

Hi Walkingtree (are you an ent or other kind of species?)

I am not sure the olive oil trick is for me; if I feel slightly full before a meal it would lead me to it less, and that would make no good for me.

But I take note of what you and SilverRapier said about the quality of the calories I'll be eating.

Last paragraph I am not sure if I understood. What you say is that better than simply eating more, I should find what nutrients I should be eating around my workouts, meaning that that moment is the more important one? What I eat after a workout "counts" more than what I eat in every other moment of the day?

Thank you all of you, you've gave me a lot to think about :rapture:

Last paragraph I am not sure if I understood. What you say is that better than simply eating more, I should find what nutrients I should be eating around my workouts, meaning that that moment is the more important one? What I eat after a workout "counts" more than what I eat in every other moment of the day?

It does matter, although the rest of your diet is important too. Some meals are more equal than others.  :playful:

If you are trying to bulk the end goal is to wind up with more lean muscle mass than before, not just fat. That means during your workout you need to have plenty of glucose and BCAA [branch chain amino acids] available in your bloodstream so your body can use that for fuel instead of the local tissues. Having these things available in your system also prepares your body for the repair - and ultimately it is the repair that will add lean mass to your body.

NOTE: The author of this website likes to workout in a fasted state, so the he'd not be using pre-workout nutrition. Depending on your goals/mental state/philosophies this might also work for you. Know thyself.

Before: get some carbs and protein into your system, maybe 60:40 or 70:30. 

If you have long, and or strenuous, workouts also consider getting some nutrition /during/ your workout.

After the workout you'll need ample protein to repair your muscles, as well as simple carbohydrates. Focus on getting 25-50 g. protein, and 20-40 g. simple carbs. You don't want to get fiber or fat post workout as these will slow digestion.

If you are currently doing any form of weightlifting, and you are only wanting to add 300 kCal to your diet, I recommend looking into making yourself a post-workout shake. 

If you are just starting I wouldn't get crazy technical, but more knowledge is more knowledge.

TLDR: Get yourself some skim milk and drink it after your workout. Even better would be to get yourself some good whey protein or a "gainer" powder as it's specifically designed for this. If you are just getting started the milk will work for you for a while, but sooner or later you'll need the extra protein.

• Like 1

Level 0 Were-Huorn 

Mastering runes, eating prunes and getting bruised in the temple of dues.

It does matter, although the rest of your diet is important too. Some meals are more equal than others.  :playful:

If you are trying to bulk the end goal is to wind up with more lean muscle mass than before, not just fat. That means during your workout you need to have plenty of glucose and BCAA [branch chain amino acids] available in your bloodstream so your body can use that for fuel instead of the local tissues. Having these things available in your system also prepares your body for the repair - and ultimately it is the repair that will add lean mass to your body.

NOTE: The author of this website likes to workout in a fasted state, so the he'd not be using pre-workout nutrition. Depending on your goals/mental state/philosophies this might also work for you. Know thyself.

Before: get some carbs and protein into your system, maybe 60:40 or 70:30. 

If you have long, and or strenuous, workouts also consider getting some nutrition /during/ your workout.

After the workout you'll need ample protein to repair your muscles, as well as simple carbohydrates. Focus on getting 25-50 g. protein, and 20-40 g. simple carbs. You don't want to get fiber or fat post workout as these will slow digestion.

If you are currently doing any form of weightlifting, and you are only wanting to add 300 kCal to your diet, I recommend looking into making yourself a post-workout shake. 

If you are just starting I wouldn't get crazy technical, but more knowledge is more knowledge.

TLDR: Get yourself some skim milk and drink it after your workout. Even better would be to get yourself some good whey protein or a "gainer" powder as it's specifically designed for this. If you are just getting started the milk will work for you for a while, but sooner or later you'll need the extra protein.

- Meal timing is more or less a myth. No meal is more valuable than any other meal. There is some recent research that does suggest that a more even protein spread throughout the day is beneficial for muscle gains. The postworkout window really only applies to people that are into fasting, normal people will see no effects.

- Lean muscle mass is redundant. Its like saying fat adipose tissue.

- Likewise, BCAA's are relevant to someone who is into fasting, not normal people. If you eat regular meals with adequate protein intake, BCAA's are a total waste of money.

- Just about everyone will do just fine if they totally decouple eating timing with workouts. If your workouts are suffering, your overall diet is a problem, not a lack of a preworkout meal. Eat at least one meal between working out and going to bed. That's about all the rules you need.

- Go get yourself a pail of ice cream and enjoy your calorie surplus.

• Like 1

currently maintaning

battle log challenges: 16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1
follow me: myfitnesspal
don't panic!

Ok, that's a lot of information :)

I am not doing weightlifting nor fasting, at least by now, and definitively not streneous long workouts. My plan is to start bodyweight strengthening next week, and I know I need a surplus because if not, then I'll loose weight, it always happened. But I'll take your counsel on the proportion of nutrients; I thought it would be right to eat "whatever" if only it is healthy, but now I see protein is key.

- Just about everyone will do just fine if they totally decouple eating timing with workouts. If your workouts are suffering, your overall diet is a problem, not a lack of a preworkout meal. Eat at least one meal between working out and going to bed. That's about all the rules you need.

- Go get yourself a pail of ice cream and enjoy your calorie surplus.

Thank you very much, Waldo. Your explanation is clear and right to the point. I think my overall diet is ok, as I've been tracking it for a while and is complete, varied and healthy. So I don't expect to have any problems if I eat this surplus.

A pail of ice cream would be more appealing if it weren't snowing out there, but I'll give it a chance :D

Nice day to both of you and thank you very much!

Here's a link with a handy dandy calculator to figure out how much you need to eat based on your gender, age, activity level, etc.

Hi SilverRapier,

I used this link you sent me and I've discovered terrible things ;)  Well, not that terrible, but... I cover totally my needs to keep myself alive (that's obvious, yeah), but I've found that as my average calorie intake is 1500, I am missing 200 calories of energy only to keep on what I do everyday (total energy expenditure, that's right?). It's true that some days I eat more, but others I eat less, so my average is clearly down on 200 calories and that is a huge discovery. It's been an eye-opener about why I am always with this tendency to loose weight.

Also, I've calculated how much I would need to eat if I do what I am planning to start and I would need 400 calories more than now only to not loose weight, 500 if I want to put a bit of weight.

I always thought I was eating enough, and it seems it is not. And the best part is I love eating, so in fact this are good news! I'll start with those delicious coconutmilkshakes today :D

Thank you very much! :star:

• Like 2

Yes! Bulk please!!!

• Like 1

Not sure if that's the kind of weight you want to put on...

Calories are calories, how "clean" some people have decided they are for whatever arbitrary diet rule system they are following will not matter in the least bit when it comes how body composition is affected, unless whatever it is is very a high fat food. Ice cream, being predominantly carbs (especially lower fat varieties, as almost all the stuff that comes in pails is), is ideal for use as a bulking calorie addition.

My muscles (and A LOT of bodybuilding types) are built with ice cream.

currently maintaning

battle log challenges: 16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1
follow me: myfitnesspal
don't panic!

Silly aside, but wouldn't some muscles or rather, umm, cuts be fattier than others, like say nice marbled steak? :)

I've never really thought of intramuscular fat ha. But it would make my muscles look bigger, so I guess I'm all for it.

"I've torn a hamstring tendon and re-injured my knee, lower back, and upper back while doing yoga. Don't get me started on shin splints. You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't, so might as well be strong." - Some guy on the SS forums.

"Heavy is dangerous, but light is no fun." - Mark Rippetoe

"Squats are a good assistance to bring up your curl, as a bonus you can do your squats while your are still in the curl rack." - SJB

Silly aside, but wouldn't some muscles or rather, umm, cuts be fattier than others, like say nice marbled steak? :)

I was thinking the same...

Humans have very little of it though.

Our meat is more like chicken.

Really? Like chicken? Us? Now you've give me something to think about each time I quarter one of those slippery creatures...

Humans have very little of it though.

Our meat is more like chicken.

Maybe more like venison.  Or Kangaroo. ;)

• Like 1

"Restlessness is discontent - and discontent is the first necessity of progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man-and I will show you a failure." -Thomas Edison