• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
The.Introverted.Goddess

Yoga + Kettlebells

So....I'm currently going to yoga classes three times a week (M/W/F evenings), and I want to add some kettlebell training without changing my yoga schedule. Any suggestions on how to do this without hurting or over-working myself?

***cross-posted on the Yoga, Meditation, Tai Chi forum***

It really depends on how much you're wanting to do with kettlebells, which will be your priority improvement wise, and how much activity you're used to.

The most neutral times would be MWF mornings or TR, while keeping an eye on the improvement you're wanting and scaling activity accordingly.

If you really just want to improve one or the other, immediately before/after yoga will work and save time (priority one first).

So long as you're eating enough and getting enough rest, you won't end up over-working yourself, and so long as you pay attention to form, and stop when it suffers, you wont' hurt yourself.

I can't be much help narrowing down times without knowing more, but it's basically a play around with it and find a time that works, scaling activity as needed.

Windmills are a bit advanced in my opinion, maybe less so than the get up.

Biggest question is goals, do you want to do kettlebells with an emphasis on strength gains or more for cardiovascular fitness.

My personal opinion is to start with swings, that is the foundation kettlebell exercise. Add a ladder system of cleans and presses, rows and squats to work your whole body. From there, to add more cardio effect, do combination exercises, ie. Swing, Clean, press, squat, calf raise  as one rep and repeat. 

• Like 1