HAPPY SNOW DAY, NORTHEASTERN PEOPLE!

If you're snowed in like me (10 inches expected in Southern NH), how are you going to stay active today? Share your plans or suggestions!

I had a really hard workout yesterday, so I will probably skip strength training today and just do a mission on "Zombies, Run!"... also known as about 30 minutes of cardio. 

post-26425-0-05768000-1391606073_thumb.j

Lolavictrola

Amazon Adventurer in Training

STR 1 | STA 12 | DEX 1 | CON 11 | WIS 3 | CHA 16 -- 44 PT Total

My Epic Quest   ::   Current Challenge  

I bet that's a common problem! I'm working at home today instead of travelling out the 40 minutes to work (would be well over 1.5 hrs to get there in this weather, and they'll probably send people home anyway).

Lolavictrola

Shoveling.  I am going to be shoveling.

But that's mostly because today my only workout would be the dojo, and they cancelled the class tonight because of the snow.

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

I bet that's a common problem! I'm working at home today instead of travelling out the 40 minutes to work (would be well over 1.5 hrs to get there in this weather, and they'll probably send people home anyway).

Would have worked from home, but had my class and prepping for a server move that's going down tomorrow.  YAY cold rooms!

Crap shoot- Monday it was bad- I spent 4 hrs driving to and from work- they let us go early too. :/  So I came home and said- tomorrow!!!

Did that yesterday- today I have off- I need to eat before I go- but plan is to go to the gym- not sure why they called off work for today- it's definitely not THAT bad. But oh well- getting stuff done. 

Typically I just take it as an unplanned rest day and re-shuffle.  If it was constant snowed in- I'd just do HIIT workouts at home.  easy peasy lemon squeezy!

Shoveled and unburied cars this morning.  Does the terrifying drive in to work count?  My heart rate was certainly elevated.

Now I'm worried about how to get back.  They didn't plow out our street and I just barely made it out onto the main road.  I am picturing trying to get back home and getting stuck with half my car hanging out on the main road...

You Americans are cute lol snow day... 

Height 6'2" Age 26

345/215/435

Strength isn’t just about winning. Even if my attempts are pathetic and comical, and even if I’m covered in the mud of my defeat, if I can keep fighting and look up at the sky as I lie on the ground, that alone is proof of true strength! Haruyuki Arita (Accel World)

Yep, that's what happens when you get 20 inches of snow in 8 hours... 

Today I used my garage as a gym. Did 34 minutes of laps around the space (with my "Zombies, Run!" app, of course). Then came inside and did a cool down for 15 minutes (reps with a 5lb dumbbell while side stepping)

I'M TIRED OUT!

Lolavictrola

Nice work re-purposing your garage; I have a lot of trouble working out at home because I get cat and dog hair on me and, I swear, the hair of lazy-ass animals that nap a lot contains tranquilizing pheromones (or something).

And, shoveling: hee! I've lived in Boston, MA for...18 years (!) now and have thus far managed to successfully shirk all snow-shoveling.

(Having no car and living in an apartment building have been instrumental in maintaining this streak; and most of my neighbors are hale young college students or recent graduates, so I don't have any frail neighbors to feel responsible for helping  -_-)

But since I wasn't getting that kind of exercise -- I brushed a few inches off of my bicycle yesterday before stowing it in the basement, but that doesn't count -- I had to go to the gym for my workout. And even though I got there a little later than I wanted to due to slightly-weather-slowed public transportation, there was plenty of room on the fitness floor for me and as many damned kettlebells as I wanted to play with today!  ^_^ (i.e. "4" because sometimes I am high-maintenance/ridiculous in the gym  :rolleyes:

Merganser: Level 4 Anatidae Scout

STR 4 | DEX 5 | STA 5 | CON 7 | WIS 6 | CHA 2

Intro | Current Challenge: Train for Spain!

Challenge 6: Back on Track...and Then Off Again | Challenge 5b: First-World ProblemsChallenge 5a: Make a Map | 

Challenge 4: Fly! (On a Bike!) | Challenge 3: Run!..(At All!) | Challenge 2: Stretch! | Challenge 1: Swim Faster! |

My Fitness Pal

"She was a woman who had wandered almost by accident into a life she had not quite intended for herself..." --Lawrence Osborne

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird 

of the family Anatidae on our hands." --Douglas Adams

HAPPY SNOW DAY, NORTHEASTERN PEOPLE!

If you're snowed in like me (10 inches expected in Southern NH), how are you going to stay active today? Share your plans or suggestions!

I had a really hard workout yesterday, so I will probably skip strength training today and just do a mission on "Zombies, Run!"... also known as about 30 minutes of cardio. 

Not snowed in - ended up at work a little late as I was waiting for the plow to remove enough snow from my neighborhood such that my car wouldn't get stuck.  Then had to remove said plowed snow from the end of my driveway. :)

AM Workout: Shoveling the driveway (Deadlifts are excellent practice for this)

PM Workout: Gym was closed, so I got on the bike trainer in my basement and hammered out 10 miles or so.

"Restlessness is discontent - and discontent is the first necessity of progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man-and I will show you a failure." -Thomas Edison

Suggested snow workouts; all should be done outdoors of course:

• Take the head off a shovel. Get low and push-plow your driveway.
  • Practice handstands, handstand push-ups, and handstand walks.
  • Burpees.
  • Double-unders. Good luck with that.
  • Bear crawls.
  • Sit-ups.
  • Push-ups.
  • Practice forward-rolls.

Level 5 Half-Dwarf Ranger

STR 15 - DEX 11 - STA 5 - CON 13 - WIS 13 - CHA 10

Attack Your Weaknesses!!!

Challenges: 1 (c&j) | 2 (c2b) | 3 (DU) | 4 (OHS) | 5 (DU+OHS) | Fitness Goals 2014

History...

• Started CrossFit in April 2013: 205 lbs., 0 pull-ups, 10-minute mile, 2:00 500m row, could barely air squat
  • November 2013: 175 lbs., 15 pull-ups, 8-minute mile, 1:34 row 500m, 235-lb. squat
  • December 2013: 19 rounds of Cindy, Fran 9:09
  • February 2014: DL 315, clean 175, c&j 155, snatch 125
  • March 2014: 25+ double-unders, 95-lb. overhead squat 1RM
  • April 2014: 47 DU; c&j BW@175
  • May 2014: 4x OHS@95
  • June 2014: 1:30 row 500m
  • July 2014: first muscle-up, first HSPU
  • Before and After Photos