Hey all - My name's James; I'm a 31 year old guy living in Wellington, New Zealand. My interests are fantasy and science fiction literature, movies, video games, pen and paper RPGs, health and fitness, nutrition, long distance running, strength training and weightlifting.

I'm new to the NF community - I discovered the site about a month ago and have been voraciously reading the articles, which I find very informative and relevant to my own health and fitness interests. This is the first site I've found in the whole Internet that really speaks to me as a person and where I am in my health and fitness journey. Steve, you're a great writer and I think you and I have a lot in common!

By way of introduction I'd also like to share my health and fitness story so far. 14 months ago I was a very overweight 95kgs, had never seriously exercised before, and would get out of breath crossing the street or climbing a flight of stairs. In January last year I decided to take control of my life, get a bit fitter and lose a bit of weight. Little did I realise, I would unlock an all-consuming passion. Over the subsequent year I lost 30kgs, became orders of magnitude stronger, fitter, and more powerful, and changed my life for the better. I train with weights five times weekly, regularly clear 30-40km of outdoor running per week, and eat every day for nutrition as well as enjoyment. My fitness goals for this year are to complete a half marathon on February 23rd in 1h 30m or less, and to by the end of the year be able to complete a set of 10 unassisted pull-ups with no breaks. Below is a photo of me in December 2012 next to a photo of me in December 2013, and the photo in my profile pic was taken last week.

Really looking forward to getting to know you all and sharing our stories, knowledge, inspiration, experience and cool stuff we are interested in!

-James

post-26687-0-57445300-1391633620_thumb.j

• Like 1

Hey James, congrats on the life changes, really inspirational. I live in Levin but am often down in Wellington. Usually try to get in a session at the Powerhouse Gym with a mate, it's a pretty low key power-lifting place. How long have you been in Wellington? If you're keen to get into Live action RPG I know of a bunch of people down there who would be happy for fresh meat, I mean players :P.

• Like 1

It is like Abraham Lincoln said in the past and on Mars 'You just have to believe in yourself. Adventure time.

Hey James, congrats on the life changes, really inspirational. I live in Levin but am often down in Wellington. Usually try to get in a session at the Powerhouse Gym with a mate, it's a pretty low key power-lifting place. How long have you been in Wellington? If you're keen to get into Live action RPG I know of a bunch of people down there who would be happy for fresh meat, I mean players :tongue:.

Hi Pete, nice to meet you :) That's a kick-ass costume in your profile pic - makes me think of the Sons of Aether from Mage: The Ascension! I've lived in Wellington all my life, barring several stints in other cities/countries over the years. A lot of my gamer friends here in Wellington are involved with the various LARPs around the place and generally keep me up to date with what's going on with the various campaigns and one-shots, but unfortunately I barely get time to sling dice with my tabletop groups at the moment, let alone commit to any costume-heavy LARPs :(