that's what happened to my brother. the thing got straight up torn out of his flesh. and i'm pretty sure it never healed right, so he's got a nipple that's slightly split in half.  :blink: ugh. i can't even imagine.... ugh.

Reasons I never got anything pierced

In brightest day, In blackest night, No evil shall escape my sight, Let those who worship evils might, beware my power, GREEN LANTERNS LIGHT!

Those sound awesome you should post pics when you get the chance to get some.

Well, I was able to get a couple of pictures - my work is awkwardly placed for self photography, ha.

2013-02-26155620.jpg

269.jpg

This one was taken with my back to the mirror and my camera held over my head - the numerals aren't actually backwards!

267.jpg

• Like 1

6th kyu in Aikido

I write stuff in my spare time

I love Star Trek

Well, I was able to get a couple of pictures - my work is awkwardly placed for self photography, ha. 2013-02-26155620.jpg 269.jpg This one was taken with my back to the mirror and my camera held over my head - the numerals aren't actually backwards!267.jpg

nice

In brightest day, In blackest night, No evil shall escape my sight, Let those who worship evils might, beware my power, GREEN LANTERNS LIGHT!

My brother has this beautiful tattoo of a willow tree on his leg in memory of a close family friend of ours that passed away a few years ago. I've always been jealous of it.

I'm hoping, one day when i actually feel like taking my shirt off in public more often, to get a tattoo of a cross over my heart.  Nothing too big size-wise, but definately ornate.

• Like 1

My brother has this beautiful tattoo of a willow tree on his leg in memory of a close family friend of ours that passed away a few years ago. I've always been jealous of it.

I'm hoping, one day when i actually feel like taking my shirt off in public more often, to get a tattoo of a cross over my heart.  Nothing too big size-wise, but definately ornate.

The more ornate you want it, the bigger it needs to be :) keep that in mind. And, though I have quite a few small pieces, bigger is always better :P

• Like 1

And in this existence, I'll stay persistent

And I'll make a difference, and I will have lived it- MFTP

Battle Log

One tattoo and a few piercings (dermal anchor, belly button, tragus, and redoing nose). My anchor is on my chest though, and I ripped it on my seatbelt a few times pretty badly. So he took it out and fixed it (OUCH) & now my body is rejecting it so bye bye dermal :'( had it for 2.5 years and I'm so attached to it but I guess it is it's time

Here I am!! Only one tattoo, I had my ears pierced but took them out! So now the tats my only thing (:

BEFORE:

fwpuvt.jpg

AFTER:

swz21s.jpg

14916ye.jpg

• Like 1

http://checkout.promerasports.com/?Click=13356

High quality supplements in the link above, use the promo code "RyanT20" at checkout for 20% OFF your entire order!

5'10 - 140 lbs - 18 years old - ProMera Sports affiliate

Starting to get serious about fitness

"Your mind is your biggest critic"  

I have a navel piercing that has been ripped on at least a dozen times from Volleyball (yet still is intact). I'm also planning on getting angel wings on my back in white, grey and silvery blue but I haven't been able to finalize my idea... Any suggestions?

• Like 1

MedicTWO

Level 0 Human Medic

|STR: 0|DEX: 0|STA: 0|CON: 0|WIS: 0|CHA: 0|

I have a navel piercing that has been ripped on at least a dozen times from Volleyball (yet still is intact). I'm also planning on getting angel wings on my back in white, grey and silvery blue but I haven't been able to finalize my idea... Any suggestions?

I liked this but then realized that it might seem that I'm liking that you've had a piercing ripped out.  I don't.  I like your future tattoo plans.  How big/small did you want the wings?

• Like 1

"Inside of me there are two dogs. One of the dogs is mean and evil. The other dog is good. The mean dog fights the good dog, all of the time."  When asked which dog wins, he reflected for a moment and replied "The one I feed the most."

Driftwood's Battle Log

First Challenge:  24 Feb - 6 April 2014

Second Challenge (Monks) :  14 April - 25 May 2014

Ask people for a good recommendation on an artist. Check out their portfolio, make sure you like their style and talent, then talk to them. Tell them the idea, thoughts behind it like what it symbolizes/means to you, then have them do a draw up. That's usually one of the best ways to get a solid tattoo. Plus, it's always better to have an artist create their own art than replicate someone else's.

You have a solid enough idea a good artist will be able to make something you get excited about.

• Like 1

Glingaerben the Wood Elf

Level 1 Ranger Assassin

STR 2 | DEX 3 | STA 1 | CON 1 | WIS 2 | CHA 2

Challenges: #1, 2

Battle Log

Ask people for a good recommendation on an artist. Check out their portfolio, make sure you like their style and talent, then talk to them. Tell them the idea, thoughts behind it like what it symbolizes/means to you, then have them do a draw up. That's usually one of the best ways to get a solid tattoo. Plus, it's always better to have an artist create their own art than replicate someone else's.

You have a solid enough idea a good artist will be able to make something you get excited about.

Thanks for the tips. Any idea on what I should be looking for in a good artist? I know getting a white tattoo can be a challenge, as sometimes it absorbs the tracing inks colour.

MedicTWO

Level 0 Human Medic

It's kinda tough, but word of mouth is the best method in my experience. Just ask people with tattoos you like if they got them around here, and if so ask where.

You could also look online for local artists, read reviews, maybe some of them have even won awards or competitions. After you find a few promising ones, really just look at their work on a personal level. It's art, so it's all personal and subjective. I've seen GREAT artists I would never go to for a piece of my own because I don't like their style. But good artists will have plenty of photos of actual pieces and artwork to look at. Just get a feel for them and their style. Sorry I can't really give you much more advice, but that's art. Can't tell you what you like ;)

Glingaerben the Wood Elf

Level 1 Ranger Assassin

Battle Log

Thanks, I emailed a studio to make an appointment. He does in my opinion beautiful feathers :) 

When I have my appointment is there anything that should be setting off red flags?

What are the right questions to be asking? I know that contamination can be an issue so sterility is very important. 

MedicTWO

Level 0 Human Medic

Look around. If it's a respectable studio, you shouldn't have any issues with sterility stuff.

Make sure you like the artist as a person. If you don't, you probably don't want to spend the hours it will take being close and uncomfortable with them.

Look at their portfolio. Make sure you like their lines and shading in particular. This is one of the biggest parts of their personal style and the most noticed by onlookers. Maybe not particularly, but that gives the main impression people will have when they look at your work, and also when you look at photos  or a mirror.

Just feel it out. If you're comfortable there and like all of the work you see by your chosen artist, you should be good to go!

• Like 1

Glingaerben the Wood Elf

Level 1 Ranger Assassin

Battle Log

Oh, wow, you guys are making me want to work harder!  I'm getting inked basically as soon as I have enough money for it - I've had a design in mind for two years now and I'm super keen.

Can I run something by you guys, though?

The place I want to go is one of two places in Canberra.  Several of my friends got inked there, and loved it.  I went to check it out last year, and they had to ask around the artists who was game to do my ink - it's a pretty detailed/realistic landscape with rocks and ocean and clouds, so not really surprised.  I checked out the art of the guy who said he could do it (only one in the studio who was game), and he's done some amazingly realistic and gorgeous animals.  No landscapes, but he's obviously good with detail and design of nature.

My problem was, I am awful at art, so my design was in pieces of pictures pulled off the Internet (I want the ocean to look like this, and the clouds to look like this and the rock to be kind of like this, sort of thing).  I asked about an art consultation, but they said they didn't do them.  If I was really worried, they said, he could e-mail the art along the evening before, though it kind of felt like a concession to the customer.

Is this a huge red flag?  My town isn't really tattoo central, but I'm a three hour drive from Sydney, which has way more of that scene, so I could definitely find somewhere to get it done there.  I have friends and family, so I could stay there for long enough to get the consultation and tattoo done.  But it would definitely be more convenient if I could get it done here.

What do you guys think?  Should I ask if the consultation is included in the time to get the actual tattoo done?

Thanks heaps for the advice - can't wait to come back and post pics and discuss!

Previous challenges:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)