Biggest Loser

Does anybody watch biggest loser? If so can you believe how sickly Rachel (the winner) looked?!? I can't believe they let her get that small. Now she looks ill. What does everyone else think?

I don't watch the show, but I have heard about Jillian Michaels (Not the first person I'd go to for fitness advice) and I did watch the clip....

and when Jillian looks at you like something went screwy... you're in trouble....

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

Yeah, my wife and I love the show. When the 3 finalists went home, I didn't know how Rachel was going to lose anymore weight because she looked amazing. She had maybe 5-10 lb in her stomach left before she started getting abdominal definition. Now we know how. We were horified when she walked on stage. I'm hoping she only went that far for the money and puts 20 lb or so back on, and hasn't developed a disorder on the other end of the spectrum. She was really getting athletically impressive by the triathalon.

It's been my biggest peave with the show that the competition is for % weight lost instead of % of bodyfat lost. It encourages people to do what Rachel did and get that sickly skinny rather than healthy. To win the competition it's in your interest to lose muscle as well as fat, because all it's still weight lost. I wish it was bodyfat lost per week, they'd be encouraged to lose the fat but maintain the muscle, or even add it and recomp as they got to the lower range. The problem is the dietary and exercise details are very hard for recomping (putting on/maintaining muscle and losing fat), especially for people who aer only a few months into their fitness journey and had real disorders coming in. Also, measuring bodyfat % is not very accurate and the wrong person could go home just because of variability in reading accuracy.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I've actually been following this story for a bit and I'm pretty conflicted about it...

On one hand, she visibly looks really reeaaallly skinny. And of course BMI says she's underweight but my BMI says I'm almost overweight and most people would laugh if I told them that. But I watched some video and seeing her in motion is kind of scary. She looks really underweight and it looks like her skin is prematurely aged as a result.

On the other hand, it is a contest to lose the most weight and she clearly did everything she could to win. Starving yourself for $250,000 might be worth it to some people, and that's their choice.

On the third hand (yes, I have three hands), there is a lot of open discussion about women's bodies. Are they too fat, too thin, big thighs, small boobs, etc etc. It's the same when someone in Hollywood is ridiculously skinny, but when someone gains a bunch of weight we criticize them, too. So where's the happy medium? What if she had come back to the finale and gained like 30lbs. We'd be ridiculing her or just writing her off as a failure. But maybe that's the way she likes her body and who are we to judge that?

Like Gainsdalf said, I really hope she doesn't have lingering problems from the show's crash dieting and she can gain back 20lbs or so healthily.

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5

Tried searching this at 5AM local this morning.  Nothing found.  Good to see Rebels handling this.

Rachel pulled a cold restart, IMHO.

Momentum carried her in an unanticipated way.  She could have been 118lbs and still won, but she didn't know that.  She could have been 108 at a BMI of 18.5 (the bottom end of the normal range) and nobody would have batted an eye.

Instead, she was 105 and everyone flipped their sheezy about it.  Rehydration and a good meal would put her normal.  She just didn't want to take any chances with $250k on the line, I bet.  Rehydration is easy.  I hope she indulged in a 2lb steak with all the trimmings when all was said and done and the cameras turned off.

Rachel is a living tabula rasa.  What happens next will be the key.  She could be another Staci if she takes the right path.  We don't know yet.  If she takes the wrong path, lifting a jug of milk without assistance will be impossible.

• Like 1

I tell my story on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/FragwellBSG

Current status: My first weekend starts the afternoon of 6-6-2013.  That's where the rubber finally hits the road.

The way she looked was not just a water cut. She looked 40, and is in her early 20's if I'm correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Yeah she's only a year older than me. 

What's interesting to me is that Biggest Loser offers a $250k prize for most weight lost and people are surprised someone took it too far. There should be some type of physical competition at the end like the triathalon to determine the winner.

"I like you just the way you are" - Mr. Rogers

In Br0din's name we gain.

my feeling is this.

Yes she looks sickly, but she was in the competition to win money but loosing weight.

I wouldn't be surprised if after the show she went and chowed down on some good solid fried chicken to gain some weight back.

Lvl 3 Half-Orc Warrior Assasin

Male, Age: 30

STR 4 - DEX 2 - STA 5- CON 2 - WIS 4  - CHA 3

Intro Post --- Current Challenge

"Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try" Jedi Master Yoda

"Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out"

Here is my 2 strips of gold pressed latnum:

If she's happy w/ her results, who gives a frak what anybody else thinks???

I don't watch the show, but it's like all over the news and interweb how people are whining and crying about her looks. Didn't she lose like 100+ pounds? That's like losing a person off of her person. That right there should be commended!!!

"A sharp knife is nothing without a sharp eye" - Koloth

"Ya can't grill it until ya kill it" - Uncle Ted

"If it ain't Metal...IT'S CRAP!!!" - Dee Snider

I've actually been following this story for a bit and I'm pretty conflicted about it...

On one hand, she visibly looks really reeaaallly skinny. And of course BMI says she's underweight but my BMI says I'm almost overweight and most people would laugh if I told them that. But I watched some video and seeing her in motion is kind of scary. She looks really underweight and it looks like her skin is prematurely aged as a result.

On the other hand, it is a contest to lose the most weight and she clearly did everything she could to win. Starving yourself for $250,000 might be worth it to some people, and that's their choice.

On the third hand (yes, I have three hands), there is a lot of open discussion about women's bodies. Are they too fat, too thin, big thighs, small boobs, etc etc. It's the same when someone in Hollywood is ridiculously skinny, but when someone gains a bunch of weight we criticize them, too. So where's the happy medium? What if she had come back to the finale and gained like 30lbs. We'd be ridiculing her or just writing her off as a failure. But maybe that's the way she likes her body and who are we to judge that?

Like Gainsdalf said, I really hope she doesn't have lingering problems from the show's crash dieting and she can gain back 20lbs or so healthily.

While I would agree for the most part, the more I think about it BMI underweight isn't the same as BMI overweight, there's two ways to be overweight according to BMI either lots of fat, or lots of muscle, but you can't really be underweight and be either fat or muscle...it would be a lack of both that makes you underweight. If that makes sense...

And I totally agree with your third hand (Must come in handy... get it... handy.... I'll be here all week)

Anyhow I agree, and that's why I'm a big fan of Jennifer Lawrence, she's bringing that whole issue to the forefront whether intentionally or not. Though if this girl had gained 30 pounds, it would depend on composition as to whether I would say she's headed towards failure or not. Not that I would have heard of her had she not come out super skinny...

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

Yeah she's only a year older than me. 

What's interesting to me is that Biggest Loser offers a $250k prize for most weight lost and people are surprised someone took it too far. There should be some type of physical competition at the end like the triathalon to determine the winner.

I agree with this fully... I mean did you guys see her when she went to way in. So weak she tripped going up the steps... She looks as if she could break. But then again if that's how she wants to look more power to her. I'm just shocked is all

Check out my weight-loss blog

http://www.fitterbritter.wordpress.com

Here is my 2 strips of gold pressed latnum:

If she's happy w/ her results, who gives a frak what anybody else thinks???

I don't watch the show, but it's like all over the news and interweb how people are whining and crying about her looks. Didn't she lose like 100+ pounds? That's like losing a person off of her person. That right there should be commended!!!

Forgetting about the aesthetics entirely you do realize there are adverse health effects from being too skinny right?

Forgetting about the aesthetics entirely you do realize there are adverse health effects from being too skinny right?

^This was my reaction to that comment as well. Just as many adverse health effects to being that much underweight as over.

500 / 330 / 625

While I would agree for the most part, the more I think about it BMI underweight isn't the same as BMI overweight, there's two ways to be overweight according to BMI either lots of fat, or lots of muscle, but you can't really be underweight and be either fat or muscle...it would be a lack of both that makes you underweight. If that makes sense...

And I totally agree with your third hand (Must come in handy... get it... handy.... I'll be here all week)

Anyhow I agree, and that's why I'm a big fan of Jennifer Lawrence, she's bringing that whole issue to the forefront whether intentionally or not. Though if this girl had gained 30 pounds, it would depend on composition as to whether I would say she's headed towards failure or not. Not that I would have heard of her had she not come out super skinny...

That's the biggest complaint I've heard about the Biggest Loser. They focus on numbers on the scale, not body composition. It doesn't matter what your body is made of, as long as it weighs less than it did last week. And that's a really bad way to look at weight loss and you get people who look like Rachel as a result. If she gained 30lbs of muscle, she'd still be a failure in the scheme of the contest, but I'd consider that a huge success. 

Also, your point about underweight BMI is really valid and I hadn't thought about it that way.

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5

you're missing my point. If she's happy with what she did, who gives a crap what others think. It's her life, if she's cool w/ it...more power to her.

"A sharp knife is nothing without a sharp eye" - Koloth

"Ya can't grill it until ya kill it" - Uncle Ted

"If it ain't Metal...IT'S CRAP!!!" - Dee Snider

you're missing my point. If she's happy with what she did, who gives a crap what others think. It's her life, if she's cool w/ it...more power to her.

So you're saying people are wrong for worrying about her health?

In brightest day, In blackest night, No evil shall escape my sight, Let those who worship evils might, beware my power, GREEN LANTERNS LIGHT!

^This was my reaction to that comment as well. Just as many adverse health effects to being that much underweight as over.

It might be worth adding that the adverse health effects from being underweight tend to present them selves more immediately than the adverse health effects from being overweight. You don't hear about people that stay underweight for 15+ years without adverse effects, but you do hear about being who stay overweight for 15+ years without adverse effects.

But I wouldn't for an instant presume to suggest that one is better or worse than the other, they both pretty much suck.

Dwarf Warrior
I am today what I made myself yesterday, I will be tomorrow what I make of myself today.

Current challenge: Juni0r83 works on his Schedule-Fu

Previous challenge: Juni0r83 re-evaluates and refocuses

I'm saying it seems more like people are bitchin' and not worrying.

I'm more concerned about the implications of the Biggest Loser that losing weight is the most important thing above all else, which is untrue. Lots of impressionable young women watch the show and I guarantee some of them will think they should look like that and attempt to. I do not blame Rachel for this at all. I think she did what she felt was necessary to win. As long as she doesn't stay at that weight she'll be fine. Biggest Loser needs to change the criteria they judge the contestants by because that's the real problem.

• Like 1

I'm more concerned about the implications of the Biggest Loser that losing weight is the most important thing above all else, which is untrue. Lots of impressionable young women watch the show and I guarantee some of them will think they should look like that and attempt to. I do not blame Rachel for this at all. I think she did what she felt was necessary to win. As long as she doesn't stay at that weight she'll be fine. Biggest Loser needs to change the criteria they judge the contestants by because that's the real problem.

the problem with changing the criteria they judge people by is it takes it from a clear metric to something more ... shall we say, variable? Body fat measurements can be subjective, and "lifestyle change" requires judging, which then makes it a question of, by who's judgement is it a positive lifestyle change?

Dwarf Warrior
I am today what I made myself yesterday, I will be tomorrow what I make of myself today.

the problem with changing the criteria they judge people by is it takes it from a clear metric to something more ... shall we say, variable? Body fat measurements can be subjective, and "lifestyle change" requires judging, which then makes it a question of, by who's judgement is it a positive lifestyle change?

I suggested it earlier in the thread but some sort of physical competition would be ideal. Like the triathalons or marathons they already do on the show. Also body fat measurements are not subjective, especially with the resources the biggest loser has they could be quite accurate.

I suggested it earlier in the thread but some sort of physical competition would be ideal. Like the triathalons or marathons they already do on the show. Also body fat measurements are not subjective, especially with the resources the biggest loser has they could be quite accurate.

You could turn it into a fitness challenge, but if you were going to do that, put them through something like a crossfit competition if you really want to find out who has made the best improvement. But it would require that you change the name of the show as it would no longer be about losing weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dwarf Warrior