Paleo Gardening

JDrew

Hey all. So I'm still pretty new to Paleo, the forums and gardening, but this year I have a backyard and some good intentions on having a vegetable garden.

I live in Western MA, so I'm wondering what stuff I need to start seeding things that would be

(A.) Paleo

(B.) Region compatible

What would be good in my garden?

Please and Thank you!

Any veggies will be Paleo acceptable.  Well, except for white potatoes and corn, but those are pretty hard to grow or take a lot of space. 

Check out your local extension office to find out what grows well there ... and get a soil test done. 

Personally, I LOVE home grown cherry tomatoes, and those grow nearly anywhere. 

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

I can't wait to start my seeds. Usually I start 8 weeks before the frost free date. Some things I sow directly into the garden and some I buy as plants and plant first week of May or so( I am in zone 5 here in Iowa). You can find your grow zone and last frost date on the web. I am a pretty successful gardener and have recently went Paleo.

Couple of questions

Are you going to till your yard or do raised beds?

How much time will you be able to visit your garden a week?

If you are interested in raised bed look at http://www.melbartholomew.com/what-is-square-foot-gardening/

I have his book and my last two years have been banner years in my garden.

Message me if you want me to send you some pics of my garden to your email. They wouldn't attach here?

• Like 1

Level 36 Ranger Sorcerer 

Current challenge 

Definitely get a soil test done.  Also, if you make raised beds, be sure you are not using pressure treated lumber.  Finally, you will most likely need to amend your soil - worm castings, etc. are GREAT!  Try to avoid miracle grow and other creepy soil additives.  

Most new gardeners start off with too much, too aggressively (like exercise and diet.... LOL).  I highly recommend spinach, tomatoes, bell and hot peppers, herbs to start.  Carrots, parsnips, and beets need to work through the soil.  If your soil is too dense or too full of clay, it can be a problem.  Till to a nice depth.  Spinach you can harvest as baby spinach and reseed fairly regularly.  

Oh!  Also, find out what pests are common.  Garden pests will be enemy #1.  Know you can still eat most your veg, they just won't look as pretty.  Treating garden pests organically is difficult and time consuming.  I have adjusted what/when I plant so I don't have to deal with a major pest in our garden. 

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

I was definitely planning on peppers and tomatoes. Spinach is a great idea. Thanks for all the tips so far!

I've enlisted the help of my neighbor who has gardened before, and since our backyards are connected, we're going to use (insert meme here) ALL THE SPACE! I'll be able to tend the garden whenever I need to because I'm the stay-at-home gf. Lol

I've done some gardening before and I've always had an issue with aphids. Is there anything I can do about those? The plan was to stay away from chemical treatments and go all organic for health reasons.

Visit a local garden store and ask about pest control. They are pretty well versed with organic treatments. I would also suggest snap peas, green beans and cucumbers (you can sow directly into the ground after last frost date). If you stagger planting times you can have all summer long.

My biggest suggestion (I am nerdy this way) would be map out your garden and keep track of what you did and dates. You will learn a lot for the next year.

Level 36 Ranger Sorcerer 

Current challenge 

Aphids suck. Little bastards.

Organic soaps and oils. And regular spraying bc rain washes it off. Plenty of stuff out there.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.