• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dragons Dream

Am I the only one who exercises with a Resistance Band

I notice that most people who use resistance bands on this site seem to be doing it by attached it to some gym equipment.  I don't own any special equipment other than my resistance band (the literal "band" type, not the rubber tube).  Instead of using dumb bells, I simply use my resistance band. I even do squats with my resistance band.

I can't be the only one, can I?

P.S. I'm also probably the only dork who uses a video game to exercise too, but you know what? It motivates me ;) so there.

Nothing wrong with bands!  You can use them in some creative ways.  Just keep in mind they lose their stretch pretty fast, so after a few sessions they won't be providing as much resistance as they once did.  Tubes are a little better at maintaining their original resistance, but they still lose theirs pretty fast too.  If you're trying to get stronger and stronger but your bands are getting weaker and weaker, it could get expensive to keep buying more.  What are your goals?

I notice that most people who use resistance bands on this site seem to be doing it by attached it to some gym equipment.  I don't own any special equipment other than my resistance band (the literal "band" type, not the rubber tube).  Instead of using dumb bells, I simply use my resistance band. I even do squats with my resistance band.

I can't be the only one, can I?

P.S. I'm also probably the only dork who uses a video game to exercise too, but you know what? It motivates me ;) so there.

I use one too. So much cheaper than free weights.

Nothing wrong with bands!  You can use them in some creative ways.  Just keep in mind they lose their stretch pretty fast, so after a few sessions they won't be providing as much resistance as they once did.  Tubes are a little better at maintaining their original resistance, but they still lose theirs pretty fast too.  If you're trying to get stronger and stronger but your bands are getting weaker and weaker, it could get expensive to keep buying more.  What are your goals?

Ugh, I've been wondering about that lately. I didn't think it was feasible that I was getting that much stronger that fast.

Ugh, I've been wondering about that lately. I didn't think it was feasible that I was getting that much stronger that fast.

You could be - if you're just starting out, you'll actually gain strength very quickly.  Your nervous system adapts to use your muscles better, and it's these "neural factors" that are responsible for the fast strength gains beginners experience for the first few months.

My goals are really just to trim and tone, and to nip aging in the butt. I think the only area on me that is even a REMOTELY problem is that I'm gaining slight love-handles in my hip area.  

Do you know of any exercises to target that area? 

For curiosity- I did two sets of Single Arm Shoulder Presses with Rotation exercises with my band, which requires me to really stretch that band to its limit and- well let's just say my left shoulder is not going to forgive me tomorrow.  It's going to be pissed all day.  My right arm is not hurting as much, but I still got a bad burn.  I think my band is still holding up to me in other words ;)  

But thank you for the tip!  I will keep it in mind for sure as I keep punishing myself and my band.

Unfortunately, you can't target areas to remove fat.  Your body decides where it goes and in what order.  All you can do is decrease your overall calories and let your body go about its blueprint.  To keep your butt firm though, keep doing things like lunges, squats, and glute bridges.

I use bands as well, but mostly for pre-hab/re-hab work. They work great for things like shoulder dislocations for instance.

I've tried to use them for assisted work, but I wasn't a fan, and there are so many other ways to progress a given exercise other than with bands...

Am i the only one here that wants to know what video game she is working out to?

• Like 1

Hi Revolter! Sorry for the extreme delay! I got put on a two VERY extreme work assignments, all with major OT.  Let's just say it was a worthy battle, and a good day to die.

Am i the only one here that wants to know what video game she is working out to?

Anyhow: I have been using EA Sports Active: More Workouts for the Wii (game is also available on other systems).  I have created custom workouts based on Steve's videos.  The game focuses on squats, lunges, and other such exercises that basically use your own body as a gym. If you think you're interested in the game, but are on the fence, let me know and I will make a video tour for you, and show you all the things I like or dislike.  

I mainly use the game because it allows me to "zone-out" whilst the game keeps track of how many/how long.  Also, the virtual trainer will yell at me if I inadvertently try to slack off.  Nobody needs this game to get good results, but my inner nerd is just more pliable when a game controller is in hand. 

Thank you for your patience.

I use EliteFTS bands as adjuncts to my training and for rehab work. I've been running my minis, monster minis, and lights for close to six months without any real drop in resistance. If you are ever wanting to replace or get other strength bands, check them out. If you are patient you can watch for sales. I just got my short minis for dynamic bench at 30% off, which ended up being $12 shipped.

I have some bands that I take with me if I am traveling (which happens for work from time to time).  I'll do some body weight work and some band work in the hotel room.

Heck no!

You are not the only one who them,

I use them almost daily--I use them for pre-hab/rehab work and they are fantastic.