another new rebel

Hey everyone, I'm Lara. (and I'm sorry in advance for any grammar mistakes - I'm not a native English speaker ;) )

So I decided (once again) to lose weight and get fit. I already tried the most stupid way to do so - starved myself down to 50kg (height: 1.70m), then started to eat normal amounts of food again and BOOM - 75kg -.- (well of course not that fast, but since I wasn't working out I gained weight very quickly). After stepping on the scale and seeing this, I decided to go to the gym, but since I wasn't paying attention on eating healthy and skipped workout days due to stupid excuses I was gaining even more weight and ended up thinking "well, screw it!", leaving the gym and reaching 82kg.

Then, 12 Days ago I discovered NF and was totally amazed! Finally a source of knowledge that I could really dive into (because nearly everything I've read about fitness before was... well... not very appealing) Especially the part about girls lifting heavy - I did that the time I went to the gym (seems like I did at least one thing right back then ^^), but people around me said that I should stop doing so, because I would get bulky. Since I didn't know better (and have a very little self-esteem telling me not to complain or ague) I followed their lead.

I think this was enough background by now, so I'll get to my biggest problem at the moment: I'm too shy and afraid to tell anybody about my diet and workout plans... I've been doing Bodyweight workout and ate many fruits and vegetables the last 12 days, but I already feel my enthusiasm drop. I hoped that finally overcoming my shyness and posting something in here (what I already wanted to do on the first day) would make me stick to my plans and maybe (after seeing some results ^^), get confident enough to tell friends.

The second problem is: I want to go to the gym again, but I don't dare it... I already felt awkward when I was going there with friends, so it feels like it would only get worse, if I went there alone. And I know that it's just another stupid excuse that I need to overcome, but I always think "let's do it tomorrow" - I'm the personification of procrastination. Maybe some of you have some ideas how I can change my mentality?

Thanks in advance (:

• Like 1

Level 2

Human

Assassin/Monk

[Battle Log]

Hi Lara

I think you'll find the people here warm and welcoming, no need to be shy :)

You'll find lots of help and advice regarding diet and exercise when you're ready to talk about it.

Have you considered working out at home until you're ready to go back to the gym? There are a lot of things you can do without equipment. Check out the bodyweight workouts on the resource page.

It's good to have you here!

Barfly

The past is only smoke in a dream.

Lvl 6 Ranger Berzerker

STR 9 DEX 4 STA 9 CON 8 WIS 2 CHA 8

Barfly ain't even tryin'...

Agreed!  The gym can be a very intimidating place especially the free weights sections.  I've always been the type to jump in instead of slowly walking.  But I would say workout at home.  Become comfortable with the exercises then you'll hit the gym and only think about adding weight to the bar.

oh and WELCOME!

Welcome to the rebellion! Barfly beat me to saying have you thought about working out at home lol...I noticed personally once I put my goals out there for others to see it held me accountable to reaching them, like I was letting someone besides myself down...

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: No challenge this round

Spoiler

Really Eclectic Scorpio, Level 86

|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27|28|29|30|31|32|33|34|35|36|37|38|39|40|41|42|43|44|45|46|47|48|49|50|51|52|53|54|55|56|57|58|59|60|61|62|63|64|65|66|67|68|69|70|71|72|73|74|75|76|77|78|79|80|81|82|83|84|85|86|87|88|89|

My Character Page | Tracking Spreadsheet | My Blog |

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

welcome!!  I hate going to the gym too, but a great enthusiasm booster is buying new (cute) workout gear. Working out at home until you feel confident would help you transition better and all of us nerds are here to help :))

Species: DARK Wood Elf

Class: Assassin

STR3 DEX2 STA3 CON2WIS2 CHA2

" Guess that's the difference between us and the Avengers.

The world already looked pretty good to them. They fought to keep it as it was.

We fought to make it better"

- Rogue (Anna Marie)  ( Earth 616)

Hi Shcockshot! I'm new here too, and I know exactly how you feel! I'm pretty shy about sharing my goals and my plan but after a few days of snooping around NF I saw how nice and supportive everyone is :) I think sharing your goals on here is a good way to start feeling comfortable with it and work your (and my) way up to telling friends and family :) 

Good luck!

Welcome to the forums! May I ask where you're from? I have a fascination with other languages (for an American) but I've only ever studied German long enough to learn anything useful. =)

Motivation is the hardest thing about any new habit, especially ones with social implications like working out and eating right. Amazing how judgemental we can be about being healthy, isn't it? But, as you've seen (and heard) this community is about the most positive and endlessly supportive place there is, haha.

My advice would be to start a program. Any program. If you're feeling alright with the Beginner's Bodyweight routine, then keep that. As long as you've decided you like it, it'll accomplish the goal of getting into the habit of working out. =) But, come here and post your goals. Make a battle thread. Set goals, create deadlines, track your progress. The whole deal! And be sure to come back to this thread to link us to anything you do so anyone here doesn't miss your progress. ;)

Good luck!

5'11"/180cm

7/1/18: 184lbs/83kg @ 18%   | 1RM Bench:~150lbs/68kg Squat: ~250lbs/113kg Dead: ~315lbs/143kg
8/5/18: 174lbs/79kg @ 16.4%
Goal      155lbs/70kg @ <15% | 1RM Bench: 205lbs/93kg Squat: 265lbs/120kg Dead: 335lbs/152kg

Challenge: N/A | Previous: 1

Haha. We don't bite.

Very often.

Or very hard.

Unless...

:tongue:

Unless asked or provoked....(sorry, had to say it!) ;)

• Like 1

Spoiler

|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27|28|29|30|31|32|33|34|35|36|37|38|39|40|41|42|43|44|45|46|47|48|49|50|51|52|53|54|55|56|57|58|59|60|61|62|63|64|65|66|67|68|69|70|71|72|73|74|75|76|77|78|79|80|81|82|83|84|85|86|87|88|89|

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

I'm new here too, and I know exactly how you feel!

glad to hear I'm not the only one struggling with telling other people ^^

May I ask where you're from

I'm from Germany ;)

Unless asked or provoked....(sorry, had to say it!) ;)

I'll come back to that offer ;P

Might sound stupid, but I just realized something... I was perfectly following my diet and workout plan since I started, but still I felt horrible for not going to the gym ._. ... I really should start thinking smaller (and maybe start a list with some smaller goals)

• Like 1

Level 2

Human

Assassin/Monk

[Battle Log]

I was leaning more toward 'asked' :)

asking is good...provoking is more fun though ;)

• Like 1

Spoiler

glad to hear I'm not the only one struggling with telling other people ^^

I'm from Germany ;)

I'll come back to that offer ;P

Might sound stupid, but I just realized something... I was perfectly following my diet and workout plan since I started, but still I felt horrible for not going to the gym ._. ... I really should start thinking smaller (and maybe start a list with some smaller goals)

Welcome Shockshot. We're thrilled you took a moment to come out of shyness and intro yourself to us.  I know you're going to love it here.  You will hear tons of stories from (formally) shy people who have fallen in love with NF, fitness, healthy lifestyles, a sport or two and themselves from being here.

If you're interested a new 6 week challenge starts in a week or so and you can happily join.  Pick 3 fitness/diet and 1 lifestyle (like read 1000 books) goals that are achievable within 6 weeks, post a thread on the boards when they go live and stick to your goals (don't forget to regularly report in so that we can answer any questions you have or offer support/motivation/encouragement/commiseration/whatever you need).

Again welcome.  Have fun :)

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Herzlich Willkommen Lara, ich bin auch noch nicht lange bei NF dabei aber kann wirklich sagen, die Leute hier sind ganz toll und hilfsbereit ;-)

I feel a bit like an a** when I write in a language I know most of the people here has to translate on google  :playful:

Just join the next challenge, I can't wait to join it too!  :orange:

And for the start, the bodyweightexercise is great, you just need what you already have, your body! and there are alot of exercises you can do only with your body

About your shyness with the "tell anybody about your diet plan" thing, I'm a bit unsure, if you tell somebody, maybe they feel forced to tell you after some time you lost weight or look good, but if you tell nobody about it and receive some feedback then you know it's the truth and you accomplished something that even others notice
  • Like 1

Level 1 - assassin

STR: 3, DEX: 2, STA: 2, CON: 2, WIS: 3, CHA: 3

Current Challenge: maenumania learns the secrets of spiderman

Battle Log: We are the hero of our story!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Challenge Archive: #1 - Let's kill those rats and spider!

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Where other men blindly follow the truth, remember nothing is true.
Where other men are limited, by morality or law, remember everything is permitted.
We work in the dark to serve the light. We are the Assassins.