Trying to start something new

So I'm not really a big forum user but I figure maybe some accountability will do me good.

I'm in my 30's and fairly overweight and unfit with a slew of injuries.  I'm trying to slowly introduce new, good, habits into my life.

First habits were to do with my food. I'm still slowly changing it and getting better with it.

Second habits were to do with my home. May sound like a silly thing but it seems to help me to keep my mind a bit more focussed.

This is the third habit I want to start trying to maintain is to improve my fitness.

Hence my being here. I did my first Nerd Fitness style workout on Saturday. I suffered with not being able to walk properly for 48hrs after it but went back into the gym last night and just did some walking on the treadmill to try and help loosen things up.

So I suppose I'm looking for advice and encouragement to help me stay motivated on my journey.

Thanks for reading.

• Like 1

Yeah. I can't really speak to managing injuries, but when I was starting out I generally just lowered the intensity of my next workout - dropped the weight, dropped the reps, etc. It got all my muscles moving again without putting too much strain on them. As I started to recover quicker, I started to up the intensity of my follow-up workouts.

If the workout's left you really shattered, there's no harm in starting a bit slower. Better to do low intensity workouts that you can follow up on than going hard and then being unable to work out again for a week.

Getting back on the treadmill is a great move though. You sound pretty motivated.

I used the warmup from here at the lowest level
http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/01/09/warm-up/

followed by the body weight circuit

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

I did two sets of it. It was just severe fatigue in my quads I think, they're quite weak but they're something I need to focus on building up. It doesn't sound like I did much to me but seeing as I've been so inactive it's definitely set me a challenge.

Welcome Rayvanna,

I don't know when your next workout session is but if you need to, take a day of rest between workout days and maybe just do one body weight circuit on your workout days.  To keep things challenging, pick a number of reps you want to reach by a specific date for each exercise and add one rep to each exercise until you reach your goal.  Once you reach your goal reps, then add another circuit.  This will allow your body to adapt and get stronger.  Good luck with your new journey!

• Like 1

Take a deep breath, center, LEAP!

Welcome to the rebellion! Agree with what they ^^^ said...you don't want to try and do it all in one day! As my girlfriend is fond of saying "you didn't gain it all at once, you're not going to lose it that way either"

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: No challenge this round

Spoiler

Really Eclectic Scorpio, Level 86

|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27|28|29|30|31|32|33|34|35|36|37|38|39|40|41|42|43|44|45|46|47|48|49|50|51|52|53|54|55|56|57|58|59|60|61|62|63|64|65|66|67|68|69|70|71|72|73|74|75|76|77|78|79|80|81|82|83|84|85|86|87|88|89|

My Character Page | Tracking Spreadsheet | My Blog |

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

Sounds like you're really motivated and up to a great start! I don't have any injuries and was only able to do the basic warm up and beginner body weight circuit X 2 on my first two tries. It's a lot harder than it looks if you haven't done any training in a while. After my first time, I was so sore, lifting my friend's 5 lb. purse was painful. Be careful with knees, though! Perhaps you should consult with a physical therapist before going any further?

"Nothing happens until something moves." - Einstein

Thanks a million guys. I am cleared by the physios to do exercise I just have to make sure of my form on my squats. It's an old injury and I fully rehabed it years ago, working with a personal trainer, but then the old bad habits crept back in and now I am at my heaviest and least fit ever. I can't afford to pay for a personal trainer so am trying to keep myself motivated. I just never remember being as sore as I was for as long, however after taking it easy for a few days the pain has gone and I'm feeling up for doing it again today.

Thank you to everyone for your help and support. I'm looking forward to seeing results from this. You are a lovely bunch of people!