Lunges - cut the number of, modify or continue?

I have a issue with the lunges included in my plan ( (Lunges 20) x 3 ). The problem is half way through the workout I have a job getting back up without an aid and being to lose form.

I am wondering if it is best to modify using a chair etc, other modification, cut the number back or just continue in the hope that things improve.

What would you recommend?    

That can depend on whether you are doing things as a circuit (not resting between excercise/sets), what other leg exercises are present, if you are doing them all at the same time or if they're worked into a larger circut ect.

Move the lunges further apart if possible, or split into 6 sets of 10 or rest more, or distance them from other leg exercises. Kinda depends on what all you are doing.

You should not continue a set past the point at which you can no longer maintain good form - that road is likely to lead to injury. That 20 in your plan is a target, not a requirement. I'd cut back on the number for now and build it up over time, unless you can only manage 1 or 2 (per leg). If you can't do 3 with good form, then I'd look into modifications or doing one, short rest, another, etc.

"None of us can choose to be perfect, but all of us can choose to be better." - Lou Schuler, New Rules of Lifting for Women

That can depend on whether you are doing things as a circuit (not resting between excercise/sets), what other leg exercises are present, if you are doing them all at the same time or if they're worked into a larger circut ect.

Move the lunges further apart if possible, or split into 6 sets of 10 or rest more, or distance them from other leg exercises. Kinda depends on what all you are doing.

I am doing the "Beginner Body Weight Workout: Burn Fat, Build Muscle" [1] I am losing weight but want to build strength, minimise muscle loss from other cardio (Walking/jogging/running), burn more fat and give me a starting point to build more muscle once the fat has gone. So I am also doing squats which I have had to halve at the moment. 

[1] http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

You should not continue a set past the point at which you can no longer maintain good form - that road is likely to lead to injury. That 20 in your plan is a target, not a requirement. I'd cut back on the number for now and build it up over time, unless you can only manage 1 or 2 (per leg). If you can't do 3 with good form, then I'd look into modifications or doing one, short rest, another, etc.

Thanks again Kaylya. as you know the routine I am doing from the other post (link also above in first reply) if I were to cut back is there anything else which you could recommend that I could add to fill out the workout? ... anything to strengthen the upper and lower back?

I'd lower reps and then add them back in. Go to the point where you feel yourself really struggling, and do one more rep. Then stop there, and aim to hit that same number in the next set. You'll be surprised how fast things like that will improve.

Just a note... My natural tendency with lunges was to push off of my front toe and drive back up with my back leg, which was inefficient and exhausting. I had to focus for a long time on driving back up off of my front heel. This made things so much more efficient and stable (and hit my glutes harder, instead of letting the quads on my front leg power the drive).

Are you also squatting? 

Yes, I cut down on them  (from 20 x 3) because i couldn't walk for two days and ached for four which interfered with my cardio (main calorie burn days) during the days between. I am now on 10 x 3, at chair hight, no problems so far .

Lunges do make me ache but its the losing form by the difficulty getting up thats the problem.

Nice idea! but alternating or cutting back i'll have to find some extra exercises to add to the workout otherwise by calorie burn drops and weight loss is currently my primary goal the secondary is the toning.

It might be my weight that is the issue, however, I am now down to 222lb so I guess things should be improving on that front.

I weight 320 lbs and I can push back up from my ass being almost straight to the ground on a squad with an extra 225lbs on my shoulders... I could never have done that when I first started squatting, and as I said I was terrible at lunges. In other words, your inability to get back up is an issue of strength. You, and everyone else that isn't directly looking to make strength gains, should still do it. It helps with every other workout and frankly every other physical part of life. A good squatter is a more powerful running, gets winded less on the stairs, can lift any package or child or anything else much easier, etc. Always worth doing. Squats are also amazing cardio.

• Like 1