• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Zarklin

Where do I belong right now (and my 100th post)

Yay 100 posts! I really love the community here, you guys are great! So with my first challenge is coming to an end soon I wanted to start looking at the guilds for the next one =) My goal right now is weight (fat) lose and regaining my lost strength.. a nice side effect is looking better lol My wife and I are signed up for a warrior dash in July and ultimately I want to complete a tough mudder some day.

That being said when I fist came to this site I was really drawn toward the Rangers but I'm a warrior at heart I love lifting heavy things lol way back when (HS) I did power lifting competitions, squat and dead lift were my babies, I've been blessed with tree trunks for legs no skinny jeans for this guy lol. Unfortunately my cardio has always suffered I HATE running unless it was trails and I think that's why I'm so drawn to the tough mudder, I want to be more well rounded in my fitness. Unfortunately for probably the next year and a half there's no room in the finances for a gym membership (and damn I want to try crossfit) or to buy a squat rack, weights etc.. I'm on cragslist near daily trying to find stuff but even that would stress the budget. I've been doing the BBWW with a few twists for this challenge and to be honest its kicking my ass. I've never gotten into body weight work before and I'm finding it gruesomely challenging. I managed to swing $20 for a set of rings, so far just body weight rows but I know there's so much more I can do as I get lighter and stronger and as I try to hold myself up on the rings I hear the Assassins calling =P I also want to start doing some DIY "barbarian training" when the weather breaks, sledge hammer swings, farmers walk (5gal buckets or water jugs), sand bags etc... anything I can put together cheap to kick my ass and add variety. With nothing more than a set of rings, a chin-up bar, some dumbbells and plenty of body weight I think the Assassins might be a good place to call home for awhile just looking for some guidance. Plus I already wear a lot of black and think it would be bad ass if I could do a handstand pushup =P

Thanks all

• Like 2

Hey,

awesome!

You can join nearly any guild with that.

• Warriors - lift heavy
  • Scouts - do what you hate and become awesome at it(erase your biggest weakness)
  • Rangers - lifting and conditioning(Remember there  is more than boring running)
  • Assassins - Awesome bodyweight stuff and silent assasination skills
  • Monks: Well not really
  • Druids: You could if you want to focus on minimalism  more (SCNR)
  • Adventurers - Continue getting fit and choose in 7 weeks, when you are more experienced

You have 5 good choice ahead. None of them are wrong.

What attribute will be in your focus?

What areas do you want to improve the most?

Which guild will support you the best? They are all aweseome, but all special. If you don't like kitty .gifs keep away from spezzy and her warriors, for example ;)

Remember you can change your guild every 6 weeks, so take a good tryout before joining one...

Good luck Rebel!

• Like 5

Sunmage gave you an awesome list to lay out your options.

The nice thing about NF is that your guild isn't written in stone, or anything. Try a challenge with one guild--don't feel like a good fit/goals changed? Try another! No commitment. heh.

That said, come to the Assassins! We have corgis! And cats! And sloths! And super-creative mini challenges.

• Like 3

Thank you all for the replies. Still taking some time to ponder my current direction. I'm leaning toward the Assassins because even when I was in my best shape I never mastered my own body weight. During my next challenge I would really like to complete a pull/chin up. Also I took a good look at the tough mudder obstacles and I think mastering my body would be crucial. I like going against the grain as well. People have always looked at me as the strong bull but never agile, anyone object to a stocky, barrel chested Assassin? lol. Team that with only working out at home or in the barn with body weight and odd ball DIY items and it seems to be the right direction... choices choices   As a side note I want to start working on my archery and throwing knives again (well pretty much starting from scratch) not a major goal just a fun hobby

Thank you all again

• Like 1

Just an FYI, some of the obstacles are bodyweight-related, but others are things like pick up/carry an atlas stone, drag a concrete block on a chain, run up a hill carrying a sandbag, etc

• Like 1

Just keep in mind that you can't master everything.  You can't lift huge weights, run long distances, do parkour, and do tons of bodyweight exercises. There's only so much time and so much to do.  If you feel torn between multiple things, then Adventurer is the path for you since it's pretty much weight loss and a bit of everything.  Just don't lose sight of your Life/Main quest.

I'm an adventurer and I think it suits me.  I use a 250 pound tractor tire for workouts, do some bodyweight exercises, use my sledgehammer workout, make some kettelbells, and walk a bit.  My main goal is to lose 140 pounds and complete a Spartan Race.  It's all about being well-rounded for me so until I feel like I want to 'master' something, I'm going to stick with adventuring.

• Like 3

As a side note I want to start working on my archery and throwing knives again (well pretty much starting from scratch) not a major goal just a fun hobby

I do try to get rid of stereotypes, but:

You are an assassin. No  matter what happens :P

They are a good choice!

• Like 1

I chose Rangers because they talked about functional strength, which is a biggie for me. I have six kids, and I am a casual furniture removalist, so functional strength and endurance are my main goals. If you have no real draw to a specific guild stay with the Adventurers. From there you can do everything, like Terosx is doing. As others have said, change each challenge.

Oh my other reason for choosing Rangers is that is my favourite D&D class. From such whims are important decisions made. :D

• Like 2

Thank you so much for everyone's help so far =)

Just an FYI, some of the obstacles are bodyweight-related, but others are things like pick up/carry an atlas stone, drag a concrete block on a chain, run up a hill carrying a sandbag, etc

O cool I was just going by this list http://toughmudder.com/obstacles/ But atlas stones you say! Sounds fun reminds me of all the time I used to spend watching the Worlds Strongest Man stuff on late night ESPN as a kid

Just keep in mind that you can't master everything.  You can't lift huge weights, run long distances, do parkour, and do tons of bodyweight exercises. There's only so much time and so much to do.  If you feel torn between multiple things, then Adventurer is the path for you since it's pretty much weight loss and a bit of everything.  Just don't lose sight of your Life/Main quest.

I agree terosx,well rounded and weight loss is really what I'm going for right now but doing mostly body weight work until I get some more equipment. What I'd like to work towards is getting back into a hybrid workout like I did in the off season years ago. Traditional lifting 3 days a week bench, squat, dead lift, clean and jerk and so on but mixed with dips, chin/pullups  etc and adding some ring work. Then on the other 2-3 days do cardio/calisthenics and stretching working agility and ROM, things like trail runs, box jumps , band fire outs, sandbag and sled runs and I'd like to add hand stand work in. Basically it was MWF in the weight room, Tues & Thurs agility with the track coach and Sat. was going to Jump Stretch with the throwing coach woot shot put =P. I know it's going to take me a while to get back in that kind of shape but it's a goal. I like variety since it keeps me from getting bored now that I have no coach pushing me or a game/meet to get ready for. We have 3 major tractor dealers over in town so I'm going to hit them up for a scrap tire or two for flips and the sledge work. I've got about 40lbs to go to hit my old graduation weight of 235. I also want to accomplish things I've come close too but never completed, climb a rope, do a split oh and not jiggle in my middle lol. It's a long road ahead and I know no matter what I choose or how often I jump around everyone on here is great, helpful and encouraging.

• Like 2

I do try to get rid of stereotypes, but:

You are an assassin. No  matter what happens :tongue:

They are a good choice!

lol yea stereotypes I love to try and shatter those, no one ever believes the bearded, flannel wearing, jeep driving  good old boy has a retro video game collection and was a WoW fanatic among other things (minecraft anyone lol)I kind of stand out in the IS department lmao. I pulled out the two throwing knives I have left tonight now to setup a target and clean my bow. Guess I like a little bit of everything :highly_amused:

• Like 1

I chose Rangers because they talked about functional strength, which is a biggie for me. I have six kids, and I am a casual furniture removalist, so functional strength and endurance are my main goals. If you have no real draw to a specific guild stay with the Adventurers. From there you can do everything, like Terosx is doing. As others have said, change each challenge.

Oh my other reason for choosing Rangers is that is my favourite D&D class. From such whims are important decisions made. :D

Functional strength that's the term I was looking for! I know my days of football games and lifting meets are far behind me but once we get the chimney fixed I've got a whole bunch of wood to haul and split come spring. Plus I have a little one as well and when the time comes I want to be able to keep up with him be it running bases or swinging from monkey bars. I don't want him to grow up seeing Dad being fat and out of shape and thinking there's nothing wrong with it. I did for a long time and now I'm watching my dad struggle with diabetes =/

• Like 2

O cool I was just going by this list http://toughmudder.com/obstacles/ But atlas stones you say! Sounds fun reminds me of all the time I used to spend watching the Worlds Strongest Man stuff on late night ESPN as a kid

Some clarification: Warrior Dash, based on my experience was entirely bodyweight, though nothing more rigorous than climbing a cargo net over an A-frame. I'm not sure about Tough Mudder, but the obstacles I refer to were ones I experienced running a Spartan Race.

• Like 1

I agree terosx,well rounded and weight loss is really what I'm going for right now but doing mostly body weight work until I get some more equipment. What I'd like to work towards is getting back into a hybrid workout like I did in the off season years ago.

So since you want to be well-rounded, I would think that Adventurer for the next challenge while you lose weight and experiment with a few things. Once you're ready to make the plunge and are building up towards having that workout schedule, rangers seems right. 

Just remember that you can't fight level 50 monsters at level 1. One step at a time and then each challenge- decide what you feel like.  You can only have 1 MAIN goal, and then  3 subgoals that you work on for.  Whatever those subgoals are, pick a group that focuses on that.  If the next challenge your main goal is to lose weight and you want to just try a few different workouts then go Adventurer. The next challenge if you want to focus on doing a couch-to-5k program then go with scouts. If the challenge after you want to start getting into heavy weights then go warriors. The next one you want to do 50/50 running and heavy lifting then go Ranger.

Decided your 3 Subgoals FIRST, and that will dictate which group you should join.  If you feel like there's just SO MANY options, then stick with adventurers and test stuff until you have a serious gameplan.  That seems to be the route most people go.

• Like 2

Zarkin - Teros and LycanThom are some of the greatest guys on the planet - right up there close to WildRoss...my husband.

And - I just wanted to pop in and say, I'm doing some of the cross guild challenges, or I was last challenge, with the Scouts.  This challenge, I have a boot on my foot, and cannot do running/walking stuff.

While you are in Adventurers, you can visit the various guilds...and you may be able to do some of their guild's challenges...see how they fit for size.

And, I'm going to give a THIRD welcome to the Adventurers!

• Like 1