• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Ad Hom

[REQUEST] Homemade Salsa

This salsa provides a very different flavor profile from most traditional recipes.

3-4 tomatoes

1 red onion

1 mango/cup of pineapple/cup of strawberries

1 bunch of cilantro

2 limes

2 cloves of garlic

salt

1) Dice the garlic, put a little oil in a pan [or use spray oil], then toss the garlic in on low heat. Turn off heat when light brown.

2) Dice the tomatoes, onion, cilantro and fruit. Put in large bowl.

3) Add garlic to the mix and stir. Squeeze in lime juice and salt to taste.

• Like 2

Personally my salsa is always different as I like to experiment with whatever peppers are on sale, but it generally looks something like 2 each of serrano, jalapeno, finger hot, poblano, banana, etc with some cilantro, garlic, tomatoes, and just a dash of himalayan salt.

The secret is roasting them in the oven first and using a molcajete! SO much more flavor this way!

I agree with Moralitea - the secret is definitely in the roasting. You can also do the same thing with guacamole. I made this recipe last summer and canned about a dozen pint jars (maybe more?) And I'm finally getting to the end of my stash :(

http://www.marthastewart.com/919620/classic-roasted-salsa?czone=holiday/sixty-days-of-summer/recipes-ideas%3Fxsc%3Dsoc_pin_ClassicRoastedSalsa&crlt.pid=camp.ERch6pNLQ3sl

I do a pretty basic salsa, tomatoes, red onion, cilantro, lime, garlic and serranos... ( i like them because they have a better flavor than jalepenos IMO). Sometimes I chop everything up, sometimes I take out my trusty food processor, sometimes i use my mortar and pestal and sometimes I add fruit to it...(peaches, mangos, strawberries, apples...[not all together]) 

Two 10-ounce cans Rotel (you can pick your heat level here)

One 28-ounce can whole tomatoes with juice

1 tablespoon tomato paste
1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves (I go somewhat light here, they can take it over if you're not careful)
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 whole jalapeno, quartered and sliced thin, with seeds and membrane (I remove most of the seeds, they leave a bitterness that I don't care for and you can replace their heat)

1/2 teaspoon ground chipolte (more if you want it smokier)

1/2 teaspoon chili powder (more if you want it hotter)
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 whole lime, juiced

I puree the big can of tomatoes and the tomato paste together in one batch in my food processor.  It's a big batch.  Then I chop the rest of the ingredients pretty fine in the food processor.  Then I mix both batches together and let it meld in the refrigerator for a couple hours before serving.  This makes a couple quarts if you can avoid eating most of it long enough to put it in jars.  I usually manage to fill 3 pint jars with what I don't devour immediately.