Breakfast ideas for an egg lover who is allergic to eggs..

Naaria

I looove eggs. I used to eat eggs pretty much every morning.. so imagine my heartbreak when I suddenly (literally suddenly, overnight it seems) developed an allergy to them.

What are some things you guys eat for breakfast that doesn't include eggs? I know there's yogurt, granola, oatmeal.. etc.. but I need more ideas!

Level 1 Druid

STR 1 // DEX 1 // STA 2 || CON 3 \\ WIS 3 \\ CHA 1

Naaria's Search for Balance v1.5

First Challenge !!

I've heard (but not tried) that a tofu scramble is just as good.

I also love eggs but cannot eat them... at least not more than one a week, and certainly not store-bought (farm fresh from my parents are ok).

I put a serving of steelcut oats in a bowl with some water, then put that bowl in my slowcooker with water up to the same level. Then I let that cook overnight on low. In the morning I add anything I want to it, and it's magical.

|| pattycake118 establishes routine || fitbit || MFP ||

|| Level 3|| STR 3 || DEX 1 || STA 2 || CON 6 || WIS 3 || CHA 2 ||

I find them heartier. I actually don't like quick-cook, and always get the old fashion (large flake) or steel cut oats. Quick cook is mush compared to those.

The flavour is similar, but the texture makes the difference for me. I like to add milk/nut milk, cocoa, and fruit to it.

One way to view breakfast is to not think of it as breakfast at all. Just eat what you would for lunch or dinner. Leftovers are perfect for this.

I haven't confirmed but I suspect I have a food intolerance to eggs as well, even pastured organic ones. That's so much sadness!  :sorrow: Some non-egg morning meals that are enjoyable can be a nice, refreshing salad or a smoothie. Make sure to play around with the flavor and content because that makes it so incredibly fun to concoct new creations!

This doesn't help you right now, but there is a company developing a plant-based alternative to eggs that should be coming out fairly soon, and they've claimed it will actually be cheaper than real eggs (something like $0.50 a 'dozen').  They will come in liquid form, like the egg beaters and similar products, but have a similar amino acid profile to real eggs.  In the interview I saw on LiveScience they should be coming out later this year. I haven't heard any more since then, but I'm anxiously awaiting their arrival.

Hi Naaria.  This is pretty common. Many times the things that we eat in excess are the very things that we end up being allergic to. It is called the allergy/addition syndrome.  Here is a link with more information about it:

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/food-allergies-and-food-addiction/

I also enjoy steel cut oats in the morning.  They have a nuttier taste than instant oatmeal.  I like to put walnuts and cranberries in my steel cut oatmeal. 

Obi

Hi Naaria.  This is pretty common. Many times the things that we eat in excess are the very things that we end up being allergic to. It is called the allergy/addition syndrome.  Here is a link with more information about it:

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/food-allergies-and-food-addiction/

The author didn't agree with the information on the topic, and I don't feel like it makes sense either. The author also invites others to add their own skepticism in the comments.

The heroine addiction model seems ridiculous, in my specific case of egg intolerance (perhaps others will feel it applies to their personal intolerance). Frankly, I believe most store-bought eggs are junk. Giving good, nutritional food stuffs to the chickens that produce the eggs is the only thing that made them edible, for me, without intestinal distress. Unhealthy chickens = unhealthy eggs = unhealthy me in my experience.

Also, an elimination diet should be two weeks. It can take up to four days for a food allergy symptom to manifest, since things take time to move through your system. I know that my intolerance (thankfully not an allergy) can manifest anywhere from 5 minutes to the next day. This is also why I know I can't have more than one egg a week if I am going to risk it.

Breakfast update: currently doing any grain overnight in the mini-slowcooker and topping with nuts and 1/2 banana in the morning. Delish!

The fact that my mom buys the non-healthy type of eggs might be it. I was thinking of buying my usual free-run/range organic eggs and attempting to eat those instead.. however it's a bit scary to be expecting the usual debilitating pain that's been following. But for eggs.. I will do anything!

I haven't eaten eggs in over a month or so, so maybe I'll be alright? Will report back when I have results!! Thanks!

I need to get more creative with my oats! I'm only putting honey in it and having bacon on the side. It's delicious as hell but I'm finding it hard to meet my caloric intake!

Thank you all <3

Level 1 Druid

STR 1 // DEX 1 // STA 2 || CON 3 \\ WIS 3 \\ CHA 1

Naaria's Search for Balance v1.5

First Challenge !!

I need to get more creative with my oats! I'm only putting honey in it and having bacon on the side. It's delicious as hell but I'm finding it hard to meet my caloric intake!

Have you considered savoury oats? You add more dinner or lunch type foods to the oats instead of making them sweet.

I know I love oats with breakfasty stuff though - nuts, peanut butter, coconut flakes, flax or chia seeds, hemp hearts, dried fruit... All of those easily up the calories. I've also had a half tin of salmon with it, but that's not super high in calories.

edit to add link:

http://www.katheats.com/kaths-tribute-to-oatmeal

many images for inspiration