The Wild Hunt

“Join, hide or die.  That’s all you can do when the Wild Hunt comes to call.†

--Harry Dresden, Cold Days

Thunder rolls.  Or is that hoofbeats in the sky? Above the wailing wind, a hunting horn can be heard, and the baying of cruel hounds.  The Wild Hunt roams the land and sea and sky, and most folk cower in their homes, for even the sight of it can bring disaster.

Wodan's wilde Jagd By F. W. Heine

(click any picture to enlarge)

In the Dresden Files book series, the Wild Hunt is when the Fae go hunting in the mortal realm.  When the Hunters sweep through, some individuals are given the option to join the Hunt or to flee as prey.  Members of the Hunt can fly, traverse open water as if it were dry land, and run at freeway speeds.  They are instinctively aware of the locations of the other Hunters.  They wear a shadowy mask that hides who they were before joining the Hunt.  The Wild Hunt can be called up and led by a number of beings of Faerie, including the king of the goblins.

labyrinth bowie wide 560x282

Not that Goblin King.  The lord of the goblins, called the Erlking or Lord Herne.  He is devious, cunning, strong, and swift.  He also is the consummate hunter, selecting his game and then pursuing his quarry with joy and determination.

Members of the Wild Hunt will have a similar (if less blood-thirsty) attitude.  We will pursue our respective targets with enthusiasm and dedication, whether a particular 5K or a weight goal or getting our food choices under control.  We will make the most of our brains and our bodies.  We will also consistently let the other members of the team know how we are doing, so that we can help each other to capture success.

And in the process we will probably talk a lot about the Dresden Files.  And there will be spoilers, oh yes there will.

dresden files

The moment of choice has arrived. 

Join, hide or die?

This team will be limited to eight members, because any more than that (as we are without magical aid) it starts to get hard keeping track of how everyone else is doing.  If you are interested in joining a Dresden Files-themed group, but the Wild Hunt has already taken off (or you don’t like my theme, which is all right too) here are some suggestions:

The Grey-cloaked Wardens (whose swords cut through all enchantments and also bad habits)

The Fellowship of St. Giles (striving to control their own urges while fighting the predators)

Chicago PD: Special Investigations (they might be regular people, but they stand up to the monsters anyway)

The Alphas (using teamwork and tactics to overcome powerful enemies)

Knights of the Sword/Knights of the Cross (maybe expand to more than three members?)

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

After you join on the sign-up sheet (The Wild Hunt is on the cross-guild tab), please post a link to your challenge thread in your signature, or just let me know what guild you are in, and I will put links to the team members' threads in this space for convenience.

Erick the Red

elinox

Targilnar

Munqi

Librarian of Doooooom

joedog

christischan

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

"I put on the boots and kicked some monster ass." ~Summer Knight

Sign me up! Where do I pick up my eight-legged horse and other equipment? ;)

Level 38 Lupine Pirate = STR: 98 || DEX: 91 || STA: 102 || CON: 76 || WIS: 88 || CHA: 75

Current Challenge: 

Past Challenge List: Challenges 1-38

Battle Log: Battle On, Eli!

"You're the best kind of crazy." -Murphy, Dresden Files

"That's wolves for ya; good guys!" -Wolf, 10th Kingdom

Hey Erick long time no see. I'm trading in my cowboy boots for shin guards this challenge.

“I died. I died and someone made a clerical error and I am in Heaven.†~Summer Knight

â•”â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•¦â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•¦â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•¤â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•—
â•‘  Level 2      â•‘   Stats    â•‘   Challenges   │     Support     â•‘
â•‘  Dwarf        â• â•â•â•â•â•â•¤â•â•â•â•â•â•â•¬â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•ªâ•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•£
â•‘               â•‘ Str │   3  â•‘  2nd Challenge │  The Wild Hunt  â•‘
â•‘  Adventurer 2 â•‘ Dex │   1  â•‘  1st Challenge │  Browncoats     â•‘
â•‘               â•‘ Sta │   4  â•‘  3rd Challenge │  Rivendell Walk â•‘
â•‘               â•‘ Con │   5  â•‘                │                 â•‘
â• â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•£ Wis │   3  â•‘                │                 â•‘
â•‘   Food Log    â•‘ Cha │   3  â•‘                │                 â•‘
â•šâ•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•©â•â•â•â•â•â•§â•â•â•â•â•â•â•©â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•§â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•

Body fat % averaged from 3 sources. Calculator 1Calculator 2 ,Handheld Electric Measurement

"I put on the boots and kicked some monster ass." ~Summer Knight

Sign me up! Where do I pick up my eight-legged horse and other equipment? ;)

In Changes, the Erlking asks Susan something like "Doesn't a hunter always carry her own weapons?"  Are you saying you are not prepared?  She made due with a table leg.  ;)

Very specific goals.  You are braver than me -- I hardly ever set a specific performance goal, since I am always scared I will mess something up and not achieve it.  My goals are usually process goals (3 times per week,etc.) with the hope that doing the right things long enough will get me to the right place.

From your battle log intro, it looks like you already have a good routine as well.  This challenge is already half over then!

Goliath hammer 2

"Tiny, but fierce!"

Hey Erick long time no see. I'm trading in my cowboy boots for shin guards this challenge.

“I died. I died and someone made a clerical error and I am in Heaven.†~Summer Knight

Good goals.  You have already been building great habits, so this should just cement your awesomeness.

"It was my understand there would be no math."  That is from Chevy Chase, not Dresden.

Green dragon - cover for DnD Companion boxed set

Bring on the dragon!

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

In Changes, the Erlking asks Susan something like "Doesn't a hunter always carry her own weapons?"  Are you saying you are not prepared?  She made due with a table leg.  ;)

Very specific goals.  You are braver than me -- I hardly ever set a specific performance goal, sinceI am always scared I will mess something up and not achieve it.  My goals are usually process goals (3 times per week,etc.) with the hope that doing the right things long enough will get me to the right place.

From your battle log intro, it looks like you already have a good routine as well.  This challenge is already half over then!

"Tiny, but fierce!"

I thought my goals were more...open-ended but eh, I tried to be as specific as I thought I could be. Not too hard to achieve, not too easy either. All within reason of course!

And while I may not have my own Sleipnir or boots of expeditious retreat, I've got comedy and a good heart. Oh yeah, and Fidelacchuis and Amoracchius stashed in my house. But don't tell anyone about those...

• Like 1

Level 38 Lupine Pirate = STR: 98 || DEX: 91 || STA: 102 || CON: 76 || WIS: 88 || CHA: 75

Current Challenge: 

Hey guys,

I was wondering If I could join you in the hunt. :)

(I think it I am literally being called as I just hit the chapter in which is was introduced yesterday...nice timing :blink: )

You are welcome to participate but if you are reading through for the first time, I am sure that there will be massive spoilers from the series -- that probably should have been one of the tags on the thread as well.

It looks like you are a bit of a perfectionist -- I see that you are planning for a second round in the Level 1. 

Let us know if you are looking for any suggestions regarding refining your goals.  It might help if you had a more specific overall goal for the next few months?  Like Spezzy says in the Challenge Instructions, "What is your main quest?  This is the overall goal that you hope to accomplish over the next six weeks and the next few months."   A vivid and interesting main quest helps me anyway to be inspired and focus my specific mini-quests for each challenge on particulars that help me to get there.   But if trying to be the best monkey you can be is vivid and inspiring, good for you (it takes all kinds, I suppose ;) ).

horc monk

Welcome to the Hunt!

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

You are welcome to participate but if you are reading through for the first time, I am sure that there will be massive spoilers from the series -- that probably should have been one of the tags on the thread as well.

Hmm...I really like the theme of the group...but massive spoilers...like defeating the end of an entire book (or multiple) kinda spoilers?

When it comes to this, I will yield to your suggestion on whether I should stay.

It looks like you are a bit of a perfectionist -- I see that you are planning for a second round in the Level 1.

Yeah, I wasn't entirely pleased with my performance the first round. Got one goal out of 4 though.

Let us know if you are looking for any suggestions regarding refining your goals.  It might help if you had a more specific overall goal for the next few months?  Like Spezzy says in the Challenge Instructions, "What is your main quest?  This is the overall goal that you hope to accomplish over the next six weeks and the next few months."   A vivid and interesting main quest helps me anyway to be inspired and focus my specific mini-quests for each challenge on particulars that help me to get there.   But if trying to be the best monkey you can be is vivid and inspiring, good for you (it takes all kinds, I suppose ;) ).

Well, my ultimate goal is to improve my health and avoid the heart and stress issues that run through my family and I may potentially get. I've been to the hospital twice for such issues and would like to avoid it. I would like to get fit and help my health before I get into a cycle of needing to get fit, but unable to train to get fit...

The issue is that this is not really something I can measure... =/

Perhaps make it through a full workout with no assists would be a reasonable 6 week goal?

Munqi
Monkey | Level 3 |

|STR: 4|DEX: 3|STA: 2|CON: 4|WIS: 3|CHA: 3|
Challenges:
1st | 2nd | 3rd
Strength

3%
3%

Flexility
2%
2%

Sleep
3%
3%

Hmm...I really like the theme of the group...but massive spoilers...like defeating the end of an entire book (or multiple) kinda spoilers?

When it comes to this, I will yield to your suggestion on whether I should stay.

Well, my ultimate goal is to improve my health and avoid the heart and stress issues that run through my family and I may potentially get. I've been to the hospital twice for such issues and would like to avoid it. I would like to get fit and help my health before I get into a cycle of needing to get fit, but unable to train to get fit...

The issue is that this is not really something I can measure... =/

About the spoilers, I think that is your call.  There have been some major plot development from Changes on that it is very hard to talk about without giving things away.  I personally have never had a problem with someone "giving away" the ending, since it is the journey that is interesting to me.

"Not really something I can measure" is exactly the trouble.  Hmm.  I think you are planning to do good things this challenge, and your particular goals are clear and measurable, an we are here to give any support we can.  It is the bigger picture, the main driving inspiration, that I think would help if we could refine it a little better.  Something to think about anyway.  If you have enough motivation to stick it through the hard times, then maybe you don't need anything more. 

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

First day of The Hunt and I've got my horse saddled and my weapons sharpened. So let's get this party started! 

• Like 1

Current Challenge: 

Well I'm weighed in and on track for today.

• Like 1

â•”â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•¦â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•¦â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•¤â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•—
â•‘  Dwarf        â• â•â•â•â•â•â•¤â•â•â•â•â•â•â•¬â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•ªâ•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•£
â• â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•£ Wis │   3  â•‘                │                 â•‘
â•šâ•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•©â•â•â•â•â•â•§â•â•â•â•â•â•â•©â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•§â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•

Body fat % averaged from 3 sources. Calculator 1Calculator 2 ,Handheld Electric Measurement

Mid-day check-in: I have had to sit with boxes of doughnuts within arms reach all morning, close enough to smell them.  A friendly co-worker "helpfully" brought them in since a group of us are working together on a big project around a large shared table.  What a way to start the challenge! 

Needless to stay, this Hunter is keeping his eyes on the prize.  So far.

• Like 1

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

I'm here, I'm here!!! And I brought my weapon, too!!!

The pen may be mightier than the sword, but I've got both, just in case!!!

Got you added to the team's link-post up top, LoD.

Welcome.  Does your baby stroller take the shape of a fearsome beast of prey as you push it around the block?

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Mid-day check-in: I have had to sit with boxes of doughnuts within arms reach all morning, close enough to smell them.  A friendly co-worker "helpfully" brought them in since a group of us are working together on a big project around a large shared table.  What a way to start the challenge! 

Needless to stay, this Hunter is keeping his eyes on the prize.  So far.

Just keep reminding yourself that in 6 weeks, you'll be in much better hunter conditioning while your co-workers will still be munching doughnuts. ;)

• Like 1

Current Challenge: 

Sorry about the triple posting, my computer was lagging. I tried deleting the duplicates, but I'm apparently an idiot (or else don't have that ability as a newbie). Herf.

Current Challenge: 

Sorry about the triple posting, my computer was lagging. I tried deleting the duplicates, but I'm apparently an idiot (or else don't have that ability as a newbie). Herf.

Just think of it as being that much closer to getting out from under the "newbie" label.  Any day now, you will reach the greatness that is ... whatever comes after newbie.

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Mid-day check-in: I have had to sit with boxes of doughnuts within arms reach all morning, close enough to smell them.  A friendly co-worker "helpfully" brought them in since a group of us are working together on a big project around a large shared table.  What a way to start the challenge!

I had a similar experience this morning. Arrived to find an email saying doughnuts were available for the department. Fortunately I do not have to smell them.

Some mod delete this please? *facedesk* 

I don't think I've ever witnessed a facedesk in real life.

I have to third the "friendly coworker". Mine brought twizzlers and starbursts for the work group. He knows I am trying to eat health and he laughs as I call him a bad influence. <_<

...I have noticed that you shouldn't call them out on this kinda thing...otherwise they will continue to try... or maybe there is something wrong with my coworkers.

Anyway stay strong and I have a feeling you've got this :)

Mid-day update, I have been promoted to the assassins from the Level 1's and later on today I will be using a metal bar in the hunt. Doesn't run of ammo...nor does it need sharpening :mask:

Munqi
Monkey | Level 3 |

|STR: 4|DEX: 3|STA: 2|CON: 4|WIS: 3|CHA: 3|
Challenges:
1st | 2nd | 3rd
Strength

3%
3%

Flexility
2%
2%

Sleep
3%
3%

I have to third the "friendly coworker". Mine brought twizzlers and starbursts for the work group. He knows I am trying to eat health and he laughs as I call him a bad influence. <_<

...I have noticed that you shouldn't call them out on this kinda thing...otherwise they will continue to try... or maybe there is something wrong with my coworkers.

My husband runs into this problem all the time at his office. His co-workers even witnessed his transformation and still every once in awhile they try to tempt him; Friday it was peanut butter Girl Scout cookies (how he said no to this I have no idea since PB is his favorite!). One guy (who no longer works with him) would occasionally buy something like a cheese steak and leave it on his desk too. My husband's will check is so high that he would simply take it back to the guy's desk or throw it away. 

Current Challenge: 

Ugh, doughnuts. And enabling co-workers. I'll do you one better...the last week before Christmas break, the entire week is a potluck. The music teacher divides up the school so several someones are bringing food every day. Mostly of the standard potluck junk food type (if you live in the South, you know what I'm talking about; based on canned or boxed whatever)

• Like 1

Hobbit Ranger seeking balance (and cookies)

Current Challenge

Ugh, doughnuts. And enabling co-workers. I'll do you one better...the last week before Christmas break, the entire week is a potluck. The music teacher divides up the school so several someones are bringing food every day. Mostly of the standard potluck junk food type (if you live in the South, you know what I'm talking about; based on canned or boxed whatever)

Last week, my office had a "Sweetheart Soirée" where everyone brought in a junk food item to celebrate Valentine's Day: cookies, homemade fudge, candy hearts, Oreos, red hots, Swedish fish, etc. all while sitting around a chocolate fountain. It was horrible for this sweet tooth! (Although I took in apples, ha!)

Current Challenge: 

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines