pattycake118, Engage!

I'm all wide-eyed and bushy-tailed for my first challenge!

I know that I have the tools to level up my life, but the problem lies in the execution. I'm hoping that, with the support of this community, I will be able to fully engage my mind and body to level up. (I hope that wasn't too corny!)

Motivation
I need to love myself so I can let others love me.

(I have this posted on my laptop in sticky notes, as well as on a paper on my desk.)

Main Quest
- Turn my body into something I'm proud of (work off excess fat, unleash my strength).

Missions
- Move my body every day: Swim, Run, fitness DVDs, Yoga, etc.
- Conquer mindless snacking
- Limit tv time to 2 tv episodes or 1 movie per night

Life Side Quest
- Improve my studies (by giving them more time and focus)

Starting stats...

Not official, but approximately 142 lbs and 30-33% body fat on my 5ft 4.5 frame, based on my own caliper measurements in the appropriate tummy region. I won't be measuring again until the end, if that. The numbers derail me, so I'm on a measuring hiatus until I'm happy with my composition.

...... Engage!

• Like 5

|| pattycake118 establishes routine || fitbit || MFP ||

|| Level 3|| STR 3 || DEX 1 || STA 2 || CON 6 || WIS 3 || CHA 2 ||

Good luck on your missions, you can do them!

I really like the TV limitation, that's something I put on my list too, 2 series or 1 movie, like that!

Level 1 - assassin

STR: 3, DEX: 2, STA: 2, CON: 2, WIS: 3, CHA: 3

Current Challenge: maenumania learns the secrets of spiderman

Battle Log: We are the hero of our story!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Challenge Archive: #1 - Let's kill those rats and spider!

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Where other men blindly follow the truth, remember nothing is true.
Where other men are limited, by morality or law, remember everything is permitted.
We work in the dark to serve the light. We are the Assassins.

Welcome PattyCakes.  Good to have you on board.  You will get tons of support from this community and i'm sure you will even find a student or two to commiserate with ;)  Do you have a more definitive breakdown of what you consider "moving" e.g. 15min yoga vids, 1mile of walking etc? It might help you stay a little more on track and accountable.

Good luck

AB xx

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Something I have noticed with my fitness goals:  the more I accomplish to better I feel about myself.  I have become a better mother, wife and friend because I have more confidence in myself.  I have the confidence to be the awesome person I am.  So go forth and be the awesome person you are!  Good luck!

• Like 1

Do you have a more definitive breakdown of what you consider "moving" e.g. 15min yoga vids, 1mile of walking etc? It might help you stay a little more on track and accountable.

I hadn't really thought of time or distance specifically, but I think it was always implied in my mind. To say it out loud:

- Yoga - stretching for 1.5 hours in the Sunday class

- Swimming - working to increase my laps. I started last week with 3 laps before my back injury acts up. I want to increase that by 10% every week, so this week I'm aiming for 3.5 laps. I intend to go Monday, Wedesday, Friday after classes, but that can change based on how I'm feeling.

- Running is 20-30 minutes on the treadmill

- Fitness DVDs - currently Jillian Michael's Body Revolution. One of those workouts is 20-40 minutes, and I'm progressing through that dvd. It's taking longer since I'm not solely doing that program, but I like that it mixes things up for me.

- etc - I did some crazy house cleaning the other day that made me physically exhausted, so I would venture to include anything that challenges my stamina in that way.

These can change, but that's what I'm looking at right now.

Something I have noticed with my fitness goals:  the more I accomplish to better I feel about myself. 

I'm starting to notice that too. I often let my anxiety take over and stop me from living to the fullest. But after resolving to start up swimming again I felt some pride and I think that started to show in happiness. Then I signed up at a yoga studio down the street, which forces me to try something new and I see that as an accomplishment too. It definitly is impacting me in a good way. And feeling that I have biceps hiding in my arms makes me want to get out there and do more.

• Like 1

Great goals! I'm excited to see you accomplish them! You can do it!

Vasilis, level 3

Lycan, Ranger

STR |5.5| DEX|4| STA|4| CON|6| WIS|5| CHA|0|

Previous Challenge: Level 1 RebelRangersRangersMonks Current Challenge: Monks

Track Calories with MyFitnessPal (4.5% per comp)

9%
9%

MOSSA Power and Fight (5% per comp)

0%
0%

No Soda (4% per comp)

8%
8%

Bed by 10:30 awake by 6:30 (2.25% per each per comp)

0%
0%

Good luck with your goals and challenge! Not too corny at all!

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: CUTE adjusts

Spoiler

Magickal, Eclectic, Goddess, Level 68

|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27|28|29|30|31|32|33|34|35|36|37|38|39|40|41|42|43|44|45|46|47|48|49|50|51|52|53|54|55|56|57|58|59|60|61|62|63|64|65|66|67|68|69|70|71|72|

|My Character Page | Tracking Spreadsheet | My Blog |

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

Love your goals, pattycake--they are really close to mine!   :o  I also struggle with executing my own (beautifully crafted) plans, but it helps to be around people who can encourage action.  

Questions: how will you be tackling your life quest?  How will you measure progress?

Respawned Level 1 Rebel 

STR: 1  STA: 3  DEX: 2  CON: 1  WIS: 3  CHA: 2

Challenges: current!

Questions: how will you be tackling your life quest?  How will you measure progress?

I want to spend more time reading the course material and doing practice work. Since I have the apartment to mysel for a bit during the day, I think I'm going to try verbally explaining the concepts to make sure I know them well enough.

Progress will be measured by grades, time spent, and ability to explain to others (or the empty apartment). That's how I figure I'll start, anyways.

I want to spend more time reading the course material and doing practice work. Since I have the apartment to mysel for a bit during the day, I think I'm going to try verbally explaining the concepts to make sure I know them well enough.

Progress will be measured by grades, time spent, and ability to explain to others (or the empty apartment). That's how I figure I'll start, anyways.

Cool beans!  I'm tracking my study progress through hours and adherence to a schedule, at least for now.  

Respawned Level 1 Rebel 

How exactly does one conquer mindless snacking?  That's more of an end-result, and not really a plan.  What will you do to try and conquer snacking?  Take up a new hobby?  Have a food journal?  Replace the normal snack foods with healthy alternatives?

Besides that, good luck and have fun.

How exactly does one conquer mindless snacking?

I'm going to be more aware of why I'm eating. If I'm at my desk with a bowl of M&Ms, I need to make sure I'm enjoying every one and stop once I'm not, rather than going through the whole bowl and being done before I realise it. Or, instead of grabbing something to munch on out of habit, I'll make sure that I'm actually hungry. That's the sort of thing I'll be working on with that mission.

Thanks for checking in on me!

Welcome to the Rebellion Pattycake!

You definitely came to the right place for support.  Don't worry about being corny around here, most of us are :P

Your motivation is excellent, definitely the right way to look at leveling yourself up.

I'll throw out as a suggestion for helping you limit your TV time.  If you're not watching television during your allotted time, unhook the cable!  (Assuming that your room/housemates are okay with that should you have any)  Put the cable in another room where you'll have to work to get it all hooked back up.  Also, consider cancelling your cable subscription if you have one.  Going to lengths like that can really help cut back on your TV watching time.  I stopped paying for cable tv a while back and now I only watch the news on the antenna.

Congrats on acknowledging that the numbers derail you!  I used to follow the numbers closely (before I was here on NF) and always got upset when my numbers fluctuated too much.  But, now that I only use numbers for an occasional spot check and focus more on how I feel and how I look *to me*, I'm much happier :)

Good luck Pattycake and may you have lots of determination!

-KiltedCowboy

Damn the Torpedos, Full Speed Ahead

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway." -John Wayne

Rev. 22:1-5

Confederate Thrower of Heavy Stuff

Lt. WFD - 37'9" | Hvy. WFD - 16'8" | Braemar Stone - 21'0" | Open Stone - 28'7

WOB - ? | Lt. Hammer - 71'7"| Hvy. Hammer - ? | Sheaf - ? | Caber - ?

I'll throw out as a suggestion for helping you limit your TV time.  If you're not watching television during your allotted time, unhook the cable!  (Assuming that your room/housemates are okay with that should you have any)  Put the cable in another room where you'll have to work to get it all hooked back up.  Also, consider cancelling your cable subscription if you have one.  Going to lengths like that can really help cut back on your TV watching time.  I stopped paying for cable tv a while back and now I only watch the news on the antenna.

Thanks for the kind words!

The TV thing is a little complicated... my husband and I stream everything online, so no cable to control. The issue is that we'll sit down during dinner and watch the night away.  When it's just myself I usually stop after 3 or 4, so that's easier to control.

I'm working on us having dinner at the table, since we'll talk more there, and then move to the couch for some tv. I just have to work really hard at saying "No" when asked if we should watch "one more", and make sure not to suggest it myself!

hey there pattycake, im a student too and i know that it is very tough sometimes. if you look around in the forum you will wee that there are more than a few students here. if we can stick together we wont have to go it alone, and that will make things much easier. i understand totally with the tv thing, thats taken too much of my time in the past, its a good goal. good luck with all the goals, i know you have it in you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Elven Ninja

level: 2

STR:1  DEX:2  STA:1

CON:1  WIS:3  CHA:2

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks for the kind words!

The TV thing is a little complicated... my husband and I stream everything online, so no cable to control. The issue is that we'll sit down during dinner and watch the night away.  When it's just myself I usually stop after 3 or 4, so that's easier to control.

I'm working on us having dinner at the table, since we'll talk more there, and then move to the couch for some tv. I just have to work really hard at saying "No" when asked if we should watch "one more", and make sure not to suggest it myself!

You're welcome!

I understand that problem too, I've wasted away many afternoons watching netflix.  Is your husband supportive of your goal with the TV?  Cause fi he is supportive and willing to, making it a goal for the both of y'all may be the ticket to success :)

-KiltedCowboy

Is your husband supportive of your goal with the TV?  Cause fi he is supportive and willing to, making it a goal for the both of y'all may be the ticket to success :)

.... I don't think I've actually told him. The poor guy is just going to have a decrease in time that we watch shows together, it seems.

I'm going to start with working on it myself, since it's a goal for me and he's happy with how things are. If it looks like he's feeling abandoned, then I'll do my best to explain.

Last night we played Monopoly on the Wii instead, so I think I'll be ok on this mission.

• Like 2

challenge 1 post Its

I've posted some reminders for myself around the apartment, in preparation for my challenge.

My motivation is at my desk, by my water.

A reminder not to mindless snack in the baking/goodie cupboard.

Reminders not to watch tv all night, and to get up and shake it are in front of my spot at the couch, on the leg of the coffee table.

Giraffe print notes are awesome.

• Like 5

Giraffe print notes are awesome.

^This.

-KiltedCowboy

One more thing to start the challenge....

I did it - I have the dreaded photos and measurements ready to share. Kindness, please. (Not that I expect otherwise here.)

Feb 20 measurements (Thursday, just because that's when I decided to take them):

Total weight: 142 lbs

Body fat: 30.3%

Lean mass: 99 lbs

Fat mass: 43 lbs

Neck: 31.5 cm

Natural waist: 82.8 cm

Lower abs: 93.4cm

Hips: 98.5 cm

Chest: 94 cm

Thighs: 59.4 cm

Biceps: 30.5 cm

Calves: 34.2 cm

I'm happy that my measurements were even on both sides. I'm happy that they were as expected, and not higher. I'm ready for them to change now. I'm expecting to see changes in the lower abs and thighs, as that is where I carry most of my excess fat. As you're about to see....

Here goes!

Feb 23 2014

It almost looks like I have one of those triple mirrors, instead of just stitching together 3 images. I'm also impressed that I managed to get the back photo on my 2nd try. My thoughts when I was looking at myself in the mirror: "these shorts are flattering; they don't give muffin top". My thoughts looking at the photos: "....I'm not pregnant. Though, I did let it all hang out." My thoughts now: "This will be beneficial to really see any changes I earn."

So, there it is. All laid out in front of you. Did you notice I have a face? I did that on purpose - It's for real this time. Accountability right there. No turning back, no hiding.

Thanks in advance for being with me on this challenge.

• Like 5

Go, patty, go!  We will be with you every step of the way!  

I love the new mindset, and, once again, I am taking a leaf out of your book.  You have so much good stuff going on here!

Let's dive into this challenge headfirst!

post-19720-Giraffe-diving-gif-imgur-zmtK

(I am also ridiculously impressed that you managed to take a picture of your back on the second try.  My pics were all of the wall next to the mirror--oops!)

Respawned Level 1 Rebel 

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines