pattycake118, Engage!

So I'm starting to work really hard on getting my protein intake up. It's low (by some standards) to begin with, and if I'm tired I don't take the time to make a high-protein meal (vicious cycle, I know. I'm usually prepared, but not lately).  I've done really well for breakfast and lunch today, and have a tub (no lie) of cut up veggies to snack on (I love veggies). My insides feel so good right now!

I'm hoping to get in a workout and dye my hair tonight (I mean, what? I mean.... I'm actually the same age as the other kids in school... yup... 10 years younger....). And then go shopping for a sauce pan (I love all things kitchen).

• Like 1

|| pattycake118 establishes routine || fitbit || MFP ||

|| Level 3|| STR 3 || DEX 1 || STA 2 || CON 6 || WIS 3 || CHA 2 ||

Mmm, delicious food!  I'm glad you are getting your meals in, patty--you need the fuel!  Hope you have a great workout and enjoy your...spa treatment... and sauce pan shopping.  I love kitchen shopping, too, but it's still second to food-eating!

Respawned Level 1 Rebel 

STR: 1  STA: 3  DEX: 2  CON: 1  WIS: 3  CHA: 2

Challenges: current!

So he sent me off with a requisition for some blood work, a suggestion to start seeing a psychologist, and the name of an antidepressant to research (Wellbutrin). He's asked me to return next week (appointment booked) so that we can look at what the blood work indicates and see if I want/ought to go on the antidepressant. I haven't finished my internet researching, as I've only glanced through a few pages like WebMD. I've thought about seeing a therapist of some sort in the past, but never made any movement on that. My husband says I should try the happy pills if they'll help me. I'm undecided, but I think I might. Behaviour-modifying medication scares me..... and I feel like somehow this affects my self worth. It's a little hard to explain, but I think easy enough to understand. 

Be aware that experiences on side effects shared online don't show the average. No or light side effects usually aren't considered worth spreading the word. Yes, there may be side effects, but it differs from person to person whether they actually occur or not, and also if they occur, the nuissance level may be very personal. If you feel like a depression is impairing your daily life, it may be worth a try. I've used a TCA for years, and faced some side effects, probably due to a relatively high dosage, but all not too serious. 
For the behaviour modifying part: the regular pills probably won't make you an über-happy gal at once or a completely different person. Antidepressants are there for support, not for turning pumpkins into golden coaches. You can set targets on what you want the medication to do and what not. And ask your husband and your therapist to help you in measuring progress or regression. It's not today's antidepressants that are known for turning their users into zombies (if they do so, you can lower the dosage or quit the treatment and add a review at WebMD). But in the end, I believe that treating depression is done best with a combination of pharmacotherapy and some sort of psycho/behavioral therapy. 

Anyhow, good luck!

MadMaxHatter, level 1 satyr (adventurer)
STR 0|DEX 0|STA 0|CON 0|WIS 0|CHA 0

Challenges: 1st challenge, current/2nd challenge

But in the end, I believe that treating depression is done best with a combination of pharmacotherapy and some sort of psycho/behavioral therapy.

Thanks for your input! I agree with all that you had to say.

The results from the majority of my blood work came back, and the only thing to note was that I need to take in more iron. I'm going to say that based on how I feel, that sounds right - I haven't felt up to doing my workout all week. Everything else was in normal range, or better than my last testing. I checked out the numbers, and I'm getting half my daily dose from my multivitamin. So I'm going to tough it out and add steak to my shopping list (I'm not a fan of beef, but hubby makes a mean steak - he's thrilled about this decision).

I've decided that, since what I'm going through is probably a combination of the iron deficiency and SAD (which will be turning around soon) to not try the medication but reconsider it again in the fall (when I worked full time, I didn't see the sun during winter). I did just make my first appointment to see a psychologist in about 2 weeks, so I'm excited for that.

• Like 3

And citrus helps with the uptake of iron.  So get some juice with the juicy steaks.  

Some kind of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47

Oh, Dr. Internet, how are you so clear when we know what to look for, and so troublesome when we aren't specific?

From the mayo clinic website:

iron deficiency anemia symptoms

• Extreme fatigue yes
  • Pale skin yes. - But I get super pale in the winter anyways
  • Weakness yes. Stairs that I have no trouble with the week before kill me.
  • Shortness of breath yes. Noticed that while sitting in the car the other day.
  • Chest pain
  • Frequent infections
  • Headache yes
  • Dizziness or lightheadedness yes, lightheaded sometimes. Though could be anxiety.
  • Cold hands and feet yes, and into my arms and legs. Terribly so.
  • Inflammation or soreness of your tongue
  • Brittle nails yes, and the "scoop-like" tips
  • Fast heartbeat maybe on occasion
  • Unusual cravings for non-nutritive substances, such as ice, dirt or starch
  • Poor appetite, especially in infants and children with iron deficiency anemia
  • An uncomfortable tingling or crawling feeling in your legs (restless legs syndrome) yes, tingling. But I think that's associated that with my back injury, as it's always on the same leg and only when I need to see the chiro.

I'm not anemic, but probably borderline. It was hard to finish my half steak yesterday.... maybe I'll try a quarter tomorrow instead. (side note - I was up until 2am before I was tired after that. First time in ages. Not that I think it helped that quickly, but just that what has already been incorporated into my tissues was probably a huge improvement.) I'm not at all looking forward to monitoring my iron intake, so I'm happy to have discovered that Chex cereal boasts 90% DV iron on their products. I'll snack on a serving of that daily, as well and more spinach and suffer through some red meat every few days.

Edit to add: I read elsewhere that depression is another symptom. As is dry hair. Yes to both.

• Like 1

Well, a healthy diet will never hurt you - just keep looking for foods with iron rather than supplements (or Chex .....).  Hopefully, you'll feel better soon. 

Some kind of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47

Spinach is great for iron, but sadly there's only about 3% DV per serving. I bought some frozen a while ago, and have been heating that up and having it with a meal. I think I'll be doing a smoothie shortly. Its funny that, since I cook mostly from scratch, I'm going to buy cereal tonight to amp up my nutrition. :chargrined: I don't think I've bought cereal for myself in about a year.

My stats for last week weren't so great. The only good thing is that I didn't push myself when my body wasn't feeling up to it. I had a daily break-down, but they were all essentially the same, so did a summary instead.

::Week 5 in review::

-Move- 1/7
I did not have the energy all week, and also was working on an assignment.

-Mindful- 4/7
Ok, but could have been better. Have been working on increasing protein to help fight snacking urges.

-Limit TV- 3/7
Truly, this week was a sit on my butt and take it easy week.

Come on, you can do it! Just one week left before the challenge ends and you may set new goals.

For iron, it is also good to eat legumes such as brown beans and lentils.

Good luck!

Edit: About cereal, there was a huge controversy about the iron in cereal a few years back in The Netherlands. It turned out that cereal did not contain ionized iron, as you would expect, but ground pieces of the metal iron. I don't know whether it is better now, but you might want to research it a bit. Source: http://keuringsdienstvanwaarde.kro.nl/seizoenen/2009/afleveringen/15-10-2009 (it is in dutch, unfortunately).

Well, women are bound to lose some of their iron every month.

I don't know whether spinach will help to up this considerably, but I know that pork liver contains quite nice amounts of iron (22,1 milligrams per 100 grams of liver). Question is, whether one likes liver or not... another source are mushrooms (the ones I'm thinking about are called "chanterelle" in English... at least according to my dictionary; 6,5mg per 100g). Peas beat spinach concerning iron => 5mg/100g as opposed to 3,5mg/100g, and dried apricots are pretty good too => 3,8mg/100g.

Some herbs, seeds and spices are good, too: cinnamon, pumpkin seeds, thyme, ginger, sesame...

Grains I have no idea, I don't eat grains.

• Like 1

FLUCTUAT  NEC  MERGITUR

FUELED BY PALEO

Everyone had off weeks. Finish strong in week 6! I am really impressed with your diligence to the goals and your thread, especially considering the energy issues. Let us know if you find something that helps you.

Thanks for the kind words! I'm starting to notice a difference already. It's getting easier to do the stairs from the subway - small victories! I enjoy doing this challenge, and really want to continue doing them, so it's easier to stick it out. I'm thinking my next one needs to be nutrition and sleep based... perhaps with the druids since I want to focus on my inner self.

It turned out that cereal did not contain ionized iron, as you would expect, but ground pieces of the metal iron.

I actually knew that. My chem prof years ago soaked a box of cereal to mush in water and had it stirring all class with a magnetic spinner - which caught all the metal filings that he showed us all at the end of class.

I do include legumes in my rotation of breakfasts and dinners (I was blown away that the lentils in today's breakfast was listed at 40% DV iron). I had a few orange slices with it this morning, so maybe that'll help with absorption.

Bleh, cold cereal! It always reminds me of cat food ... so bland and boring (and cold). heh

I so prefer hot breakfasts! The cereal is more like insurance and a snack to crunch on instead. I didn't find that variety of Chex (maybe only in the States?) but did find some Shreddies and Oat Squares (maple flavoured) that have 50% DV iron. But yes, kind of like people chow/kibble...

Question is, whether one likes liver or not... another source are mushrooms (the ones I'm thinking about are called "chanterelle" in English... at least according to my dictionary; 6,5mg per 100g). Peas beat spinach concerning iron => 5mg/100g as opposed to 3,5mg/100g, and dried apricots are pretty good too => 3,8mg/100g.

Some herbs, seeds and spices are good, too: cinnamon, pumpkin seeds, thyme, ginger, sesame...

I did hear about the spices. I need to investigate that further - especially thyme. Very interesting! Liver though... the packages they sell at the store I checked were way to big for me. It was beef liver and, while I'm not opposed to it, there was just way too much. (Hubby, on the other hand, would be opposed but his input is often overlooked when it comes to dinner.) Thanks for the other suggestions - beets and mushrooms are some of my favourites! A perfect excuse to buy some.

• Like 5

Good to hear that you are feeling better!!  Maybe it was a bit of a virus?

Some kind of Jedi .....

So proud! I just did a workout. I felt the itch for it yesterday.

I didn't use the heavy weights, or do as many reps, but I followed along with the video and got a good workout in.

Good to hear that you are feeling better!!  Maybe it was a bit of a virus?

Thanks! Doubtful I was sick though - blood tests showed low iron and I've been watching my intake like a hawk. In about a week I should be back to normal, having refilled my bone marrow with stores of iron!

• Like 2

Yea!!!  Another exercise addiction is born!!!! 

Glad that you're feeling like you want to exercise.  Even if it is lower intensity than usual - it counts. 

Some kind of Jedi .....

By the way: bone marrow!!! How about bone broth? Contains also lots of iron...

Do you happen to know if the boxed broths in the store are made from bone marrow? I don't buy a lot of bone-in cuts, but do use those no-sodium-added chicken broths by Campbell's when I throw things in the slow cooker. I'm all about minimal waste, so I'll definitely make some next time I have scraps - thanks for the reminder!

Do you happen to know if the boxed broths in the store are made from bone marrow? I don't buy a lot of bone-in cuts, but do use those no-sodium-added chicken broths by Campbell's when I throw things in the slow cooker. I'm all about minimal waste, so I'll definitely make some next time I have scraps - thanks for the reminder!

I have no idea… but I'm pretty sure that you will be better off making your own and freeze it. Sometimes you can go to the butcher and ask for bones. Here in Germany you can get them for little money, and I usually make 10 liters (2.5 gallons) of it, freezing it in portions. The stuff in the stores will most likely be some cheaply produced broth, probably with undesirable additives… my guess.

Actually I'm a big fan of minimal waste and recycling too.

• Like 1

FLUCTUAT  NEC  MERGITUR

FUELED BY PALEO

In the States, we can usually find bones for stew tucked in the meat case somewhere - or ask the butcher for them. 

Some kind of Jedi .....

Just made a huge amount of broth today… Sunday is just perfect to have it simmering on the stove for hours. :)

Do you have to resort to packaged liver? I usually go to the butcher's and state the exact amount I want, and that is what they give me… depending on my mood, I take poultry liver or beef.

Liver roasted in ghee with chopped onion, salt, pepper and some majoran … and some steamed cauliflower (buttered, I admit) on the side, and I'm happy. :D

FLUCTUAT  NEC  MERGITUR

FUELED BY PALEO

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines