Why not go all out?

Why not?

As I continue my recovery (and I use that word optimistically) from injury, I am gradually doing more and more with my upper body. This challenge will involve me largely throwing caution to the wind and focusing primarily on upper body goals. I don't wear that whole "caution" thing too well anyway.

I don't do so well with the fancy creative back stories (heck, I can barely figure out how many attribute points I'm allowed to add and for what), so I'll just enumerate my goals below:

1. Complete one unsupported handstand push-up. I have never attempted this, but I will complete this in the next six-week block. Well, I did set my goal at only one, which I did. Still having trouble with them though. I tend to fall over around the time my head reaches the ground.

2.  Change my previous 1-rep max overhead squat of 200# to a 3-rep max. I haven't even attempted this weight since probably...August? So we'll see how this goes. Did 205 this morning. Apparently 5 months off from OHS haven't been too detrimental.

3. Get my 5k time back under 21:00. This should be reasonable, given my current altitude. I can focus on regaining more of my lost endurance later.

4.   PR my snatch. Previous best was 176#, so all I want for now is 180# anything more than that would be a bonus, given the drop off in my training.

5. Read a whole book. I don't remember the last time I actually finished a book. Must do this. Read "First - What it Takes to Win" and "For Men Only"

6. Earn the German Armed Forces Proficiency Badge in gold. Testing starts two Mondays from now. I need a 43s shuttle run, 65s flexed arm hang, 100m run in 3:45, 100m swim in uniform in 4:00, take off uniform while treading water, 6/6 in pistol marksmanship, and a 12km ruck march in 2 hrs with a 35# pack. Smashed it. 6s faster on the shuttle run, 1s longer on the flexed arm hang, 5s faster on the 1k, 45s faster on the swim, 35min faster on the ruck.

May add more later.

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

1k Row under 3:20

Back Flip

Bodyweight Turkish Get-up

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

What kind of books do you like reading?  I did reading books for my last challenge and have lots of suggestions for books.  If you want to get back to 21 that means at one point you were able to run faster than that.  What is you best time?  Mine was back in high school and it has been years since I ran distance.  Looking to get back into it once this darn snow goes away.  Good luck with this challenge and I look forward to joining you in our posture work.

Spartan Assassin: Level 15

STR31   DEX26   STA27  CON25   WIS28   CHA23

What kind of books do you like reading?  I did reading books for my last challenge and have lots of suggestions for books.  If you want to get back to 21 that means at one point you were able to run faster than that.  What is you best time?  Mine was back in high school and it has been years since I ran distance.  Looking to get back into it once this darn snow goes away.  Good luck with this challenge and I look forward to joining you in our posture work.

I have a bunch of books to read. Everything from socio-economic commentary to Terry Brooks to programming to nutrition. My book to-do list is long :P

Back in high school I ran a 17:48 on a cross country course. A year ago I ran around 19:20 on a treadmill. Recently I ran a high 22, also on a treadmill.

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

Back Flip

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

Nice job on the 1RM boost!

I've also got some great books if you need something to read (though I see you have a long to do list in that area)

• Like 1

-KiltedCowboy

Damn the Torpedos, Full Speed Ahead

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway." -John Wayne

Rev. 22:1-5

Confederate Thrower of Heavy Stuff

Lt. WFD - 37'9" | Hvy. WFD - 16'8" | Braemar Stone - 21'0" | Open Stone - 28'7

WOB - ? | Lt. Hammer - 71'7"| Hvy. Hammer - ? | Sheaf - ? | Caber - ?

Yay...another runner! I love that you finished one of your goals before the challenge started :-)

I haven't done 5k under 24 in a while...so I'll try that for this season (not necessarily this challenge). I'll look forward to seeing how your training goes.

Are runner's rare in the Rangers? I haven't found too many that are focusing on running, but hadn't really thought about it. Since I'm looking to improve my running (along with strength) I'm also looking for some other runners to follow...

Mangostrike
Race: Stone Troll | Class: Ranger
[Level: 3 | STR 6 | DEX 2.5 | STA 6.25 | CON 2 | WIS 3 | CHA 3.5 ]
Battle Log 1-First-Blood 2-Nerf-Herder 3-A-New-Hope 4-Get-Angry

If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.

Master Quest = <200 Lbs.

Yay...another runner! I love that you finished one of your goals before the challenge started :-)

I haven't done 5k under 24 in a while...so I'll try that for this season (not necessarily this challenge). I'll look forward to seeing how your training goes.

Thanks! And yes, running is in my blood (my parents met on their college track team). 5k is quite a bit more than my natural distance, but speed training becomes less productive as one ages :P

Are runner's rare in the Rangers? I haven't found too many that are focusing on running, but hadn't really thought about it. Since I'm looking to improve my running (along with strength) I'm also looking for some other runners to follow...

This seems odd to me, I feel like Rangers would do everything. But then, maybe those who want to emphasize running for a challenge or two just go over to the Scouts for a bit.

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

Back Flip

Never compromise.

Today I did a workout with a name, which is a sure indicator that it will be unpleasant.

Everybody, meet Jeremy. Jeremy is a couplet, consisting of a 21-15-9 rep cycle. The two movements are 95# overhead squat and burpee. So, for those of you unfamiliar with the format, it looks like this:

21 overhead squats @ 95lbs

21 burpees

15 overhead squats @ 95lbs

15 burpees

9 overhead squats @ 95lbs

9 burpees

Total time = 6:29

Followed Jeremy with 5x3 back squat @ 245# and 2x10 ab crunch shredder dips

Then capped off my day by loading and unloading six 4'x6' stall mats into my vehicle. Gym matting is expensive, so for a home gym, stall matting is essentially the same and substantially cheaper.

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

Back Flip

Never compromise.

4 hillyish miles this morning, 32:58. Not happy with the pace, but running after "leg day" is never fun. I desperately need to get faster...being at sea level would help, but it's no excuse.

• Like 1

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

Back Flip

Never compromise.

Today I encountered Randy. Randy is pretty much a straight-up jerk.

Randy is 75x 75# Power Snatch (time = 7:25)

After Randy came 4x3 OHP at 135#

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

Back Flip

Never compromise.

4 hillyish miles this morning, 32:58. Not happy with the pace, but running after "leg day" is never fun. I desperately need to get faster...being at sea level would help, but it's no excuse.

Do you do interval training? I think you have a track/CC background, so I think you probably know all the techniques. I really like the Jack Daniels' threshold training method...I'm not too fast these days, but that stuff really does work if you stay with it.

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

Do you do interval training? I think you have a track/CC background, so I think you probably know all the techniques. I really like the Jack Daniels' threshold training method...I'm not too fast these days, but that stuff really does work if you stay with it.

Not lately. I really just need to build my cardio back up. I'm also at around 5000 ft above sea level right now, which doesn't help. Fortunately, there are countless ways to build cardiovascular fitness, so I don't just have to stick to running. I really only like running if I'm on trails or competing. And I don't do much of either in recent years.

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

Back Flip

Never compromise.

I really only like running if I'm on trails or competing. And I don't do much of either in recent years.

Well that sounds like you need to find some trails!

Also Randy and Jeremy sound like painful friends...

-KiltedCowboy

Damn the Torpedos, Full Speed Ahead

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway." -John Wayne

Rev. 22:1-5

Confederate Thrower of Heavy Stuff

Lt. WFD - 37'9" | Hvy. WFD - 16'8" | Braemar Stone - 21'0" | Open Stone - 28'7

WOB - ? | Lt. Hammer - 71'7"| Hvy. Hammer - ? | Sheaf - ? | Caber - ?

Well that sounds like you need to find some trails!

Also Randy and Jeremy sound like painful friends...

Not friends. Frenemies.

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

Back Flip

Never compromise.

Today's workout was pretty quick, much like pulling off a really painful bandaid.

3 Rounds For Time (RFT):

10x 155# power clean

10x chest to bar pull-up

10x 70# (2 pood) kettlebell swing

Time = 9:50

Bonus: this is what happens when you're too tired to catch the barbell properly on your 20th power clean:

barbellhand.jpg?t=1393513338

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

Back Flip

Never compromise.

Ouch. I really enjoy READING about your workouts. :) Keep up the hard work!

Ha, yeah I'd rather read about them than execute them myself.

Sounds like things are going well on your quest for 800, by the way!

That sounds like a lot more weight and a lot less time than I could do.  Good job!  Keep it up!

Heh, it was supposed to be 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1, but after the first round I was like "Nope, just doing 3 sets of 10 today."

Know your limits and all that haha

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

Back Flip

Never compromise.

Thanks! And yes, running is in my blood (my parents met on their college track team). 5k is quite a bit more than my natural distance, but speed training becomes less productive as one ages :tongue:

This seems odd to me, I feel like Rangers would do everything. But then, maybe those who want to emphasize running for a challenge or two just go over to the Scouts for a bit.

We exist in the Rangers.  The good ones just manage to stay out of sight.  ;)

You are lifting much more than I currently can.  But, our 5k goals - for the challenge and long term - are very similar.

• Like 1

Current Challenge || Previous:: 2020 Reset

There are a ton of previous challenges that I'm not linking

"Freaking pansies. Go work out!" - The Art of Clineliness

We exist in the Rangers.  The good ones just manage to stay out of sight.   ;)

You are lifting much more than I currently can.  But, our 5k goals - for the challenge and long term - are very similar.

Nice. How was that Spartan Trifecta you completed?

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

Back Flip

Never compromise.

I love Spartan Races.

Last year, I completed the Tri-State Sprint, the Massachusetts Sprint, the NJ Super, the Vermont Beast, and the Fenway Sprint.  Loved each and every race.  The Beast was the most difficult thing I have ever completed.  It was brutal - and so.much.fun!

I'm hitting my first race of the season at the Citi Field Sprint in April.  Can't wait.

• Like 1

Current Challenge || Previous:: 2020 Reset

There are a ton of previous challenges that I'm not linking

"Freaking pansies. Go work out!" - The Art of Clineliness

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines