The ShadowLion Laughs at Burpees

ShadowLion

That's some awesome work on the burpees and working out.   Nothing to scoff at for sure!

Level 74 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

That's some awesome work on the burpees and working out.   Nothing to scoff at for sure!

Agreed!

Have already been doing 1 - 4, and will get my mobility in CrossFit today. but I'm going to add the L-sit in tomorrow. That looks like a really good one. Thanks!

Have only heard tales...I'm still working at a fairly high modification level on most things, but I am sure I will get there!

I'm still working at a fairly high modification level also  :)  The point is we didn't give up, we still show up everytime and work at getting better.

The death by is pretty simple - do one at every minute and add to each minute - 1 on minute 1, 2 on minute 2 etc.  I usually try to do really good form up till about 5, then go back to my form to keep up :nevreness:  11 or 12 is the best I have done.  A few in my box have done 15 -16.  The first few minutes are easy because you have time to rest.

My self-worth, beauty, strength, and overall awesomeness is not defined by numbers.

12STR  13.75CON  5STA  12WIS   14CHA  6DEX        1 fire flower

Current Challenge   #8  #7   #6  #5  Unofficial  #4  #3  #2

"It's only impossible if you stop to think about it first."  -The Pirate Captian

Day Two

It's almost bedtime, so I'm going to do a brief summary and pick up some more tomorrow. I've worked out most of the changes to my challenge on paper, just need to get them on here.

Rest Day for strength and stamina workouts. Did mobility work while talking on phone to my mom. Speaker phone got it done!

Journaled and actually resisted temptation to eat poorly today using the "Would I feed this to a child of mine?" line of questioning. Did very well - clean food, packed a dinner for my on the road time.

Using small chunks of time between other activities, I got in 30 minutes of focused guitar practice and 20 minutes of violin. Tuesdays are busy teaching days where I often don't get any practice in. That was a win. My creative side quest is the one area of my challenge that still isn't settled. Hope to finalize that tomorrow...

• Like 1

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Day Two

It's almost bedtime, so I'm going to do a brief summary and pick up some more tomorrow. I've worked out most of the changes to my challenge on paper, just need to get them on here.

Rest Day for strength and stamina workouts. Did mobility work while talking on phone to my mom. Speaker phone got it done!

Journaled and actually resisted temptation to eat poorly today using the "Would I feed this to a child of mine?" line of questioning. Did very well - clean food, packed a dinner for my on the road time.

Using small chunks of time between other activities, I got in 30 minutes of focused guitar practice and 20 minutes of violin. Tuesdays are busy teaching days where I often don't get any practice in. That was a win. My creative side quest is the one area of my challenge that still isn't settled. Hope to finalize that tomorrow...

Love the multitasking -workout while on the phone, splitting up your practices.  Way to manage your time for the best benefit!  Also good job on the food front. Amazing start to the challenge

My self-worth, beauty, strength, and overall awesomeness is not defined by numbers.

12STR  13.75CON  5STA  12WIS   14CHA  6DEX        1 fire flower

Current Challenge   #8  #7   #6  #5  Unofficial  #4  #3  #2

"It's only impossible if you stop to think about it first."  -The Pirate Captian

Ha! I'm using burpees as my conditioning this challenge!! I think I shall sub this..to see your burpeeness as well

burp.gifeeeeee

• Like 1

Level 5 Tiefling Ranger/Assassin Hybrid

|STR:15 | DEX:5 | STA:9 | CON:6 | WIS:6 | CHA:4 |

My Current Challenge

Challenges: First | Second |Third | Fourth | Fifth |  Sixth

Facebook Anyone?

EMAIL!

Tiefling Ranger/Rogue Hybrid with ShadowDancer prestige, wolf companion, and Spiked Chain proficiency, BOOM my awesomeness just broke your campaign - Me

Agreed!

I'm still working at a fairly high modification level also  :)  The point is we didn't give up, we still show up everytime and work at getting better.

The death by is pretty simple - do one at every minute and add to each minute - 1 on minute 1, 2 on minute 2 etc.  I usually try to do really good form up till about 5, then go back to my form to keep up :nevreness:  11 or 12 is the best I have done.  A few in my box have done 15 -16.  The first few minutes are easy because you have time to rest.

Thanks guys for talking about this on the thread...I'm going to try it with some stuff.

I guess you could make it a "cat" workout and make yourself die 9 times from different challenges!

ShadowLion...good work so far! Seems like you are still feeling the challenge out a bit, but sticking with some of your core goals. Sounds great!

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

Love the multitasking -workout while on the phone, splitting up your practices.  Way to manage your time for the best benefit!  Also good job on the food front. Amazing start to the challenge

Thanks, Otter! I'm still trying to carve out time to get as many of my goals in as I can. I'm cutting a few, but heck, It wouldn't be a challenge if there wasn't some risk of failure!

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Ha! I'm using burpees as my conditioning this challenge!! I think I shall sub this..to see your burpeeness as well

burp.gifeeeeee

Ha! Love it!

Here is to mega-burpeeness this challenge for both of us, and anyone else we can rope into the madness. Perhaps there are the makings of a PVP here somewhere?

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Thanks guys for talking about this on the thread...I'm going to try it with some stuff.

I guess you could make it a "cat" workout and make yourself die 9 times from different challenges!

ShadowLion...good work so far! Seems like you are still feeling the challenge out a bit, but sticking with some of your core goals. Sounds great!

Shhhh. Be very quiet! I do NOT want my trainer to hear your cat idea! He might turn it into a "tradition" or something. It does sound cool, though, spread out over enough time...

Thanks, Xena!

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Wow, that's a lot going on! I can see where you might want to scale back a little. I love the burpees challenge, too. We used to do "dirty burpees" in my Krav Maga class. Brutal, but a good workout.

I got a Jawbone UP fitness bracelet to help moderate all the sitting I do. I set it so between 8am and 5pm, if I haven't moved in half an hour, it vibrates and let's me know I need to get up. My physical therapist said just standing up and sitting back down forces you to readjust your posture. Also, I drink a lot of fruit tea during the day, so I have to get out of my chair a lot, lol.

Sounds like you're off to a great start!

Rraythe Pixiebane

Level 3 Ranger (STR: 3.5, DEX: 5.25, STA: 5, CON: 6, WIS: 5.25, CHA: 2)

Current Challenge: Rraythe Jumps (Rope) Back on the Bandwagon

Previous challenges: First, Second, (Fail)

"Suffering is wanting this moment to be other than what it is."

Major Challenge Revision, The Process

Over the last week, I've spent several hours collecting and organizing the measurements, notes, and observations in my journals and logs from five challenges, plus my old fitness log from when I was a firefighter. That was followed by several more hours more of review, reflection and revisioning, once I realized that I had made several errors in structuring my challenge. The most obvious error was a simple tactical mistake - trying to fit too many activities into too little time. The second was easier to miss, but a huge strategic error nonetheless: My priorities were fuzzy, so I had no real way to know if my goals/tactics would actually result in the success of my mission. Everything I had planned looked good on paper. They were all useful actions. Indeed, it looked like my best challenge plan yet. But would the plan get me where I wanted to go, given the available ESTEAM - environment, support, time, energy, attention, and money?

That brought me hard up against my third error. What was my mission, anyway? Get fit, lose weight, be awesome. Yeah, yeah. But, really, what was the bottom-line? What would keep me going when things got tough? What would be focused enough to keep me on track and on task?

I lucked out in a way. I chose my epic quest for this year to "Become the Shadow Lion," intuitively and even a bit flippantly. It seemed like it would be fun to become more like my fictional character, and there was just enough bite to the idea to keep it interesting. I knew it wouldn't be easy and it took me in the direction I already wanted to go, but I had the silly notion that I would be in control of the whole thing. Or that my conscious mind would be, anyway. That idea started showing a few cracks last challenge, but not enough to seriously alarm me. But then, somewhere along the way the whole "Shadow Lion Laughs at Burpees" thing got going and I blithely decided to make that a central part of this challenge. Little did I realize what I was getting myself into.

Some background on my character, that kickass ranger from my still-in-progress novel, should make my situation a bit clearer. Ariel ha'Cathach (Ariel = Lion/ess of God, and ha'Cathach = "the Shadow") may be a ranger, and may not always follow the chain of command, but she has a warrior's spirit through and through.  I would say this is the defining aspect of her character. All else, while interesting and necessary for a rip-roaring yarn, is secondary. I sort of missed that point when I was setting out my epic quest, getting caught up in the externals and thinking, "Oooh, wouldn't it be fun to gamify this?" I'm beginning to think that I have been stalked and caught by said lion - setup by my own subconscious to face every fear, failing and shortcoming I have. I'm sure there are more than what I am facing currently, but from the inside it feels like a total reorganization of my thinking, feeling, and being in the world at the moment. That is a good thing. It is also very intimidating and more than a bit overwhelming.

I have addressed my core mission (not wanting to reach the end of my life with regrets about what might have been or what I didn't do) in a roundabout way for the last several challenges, but have been unaware of the true depth of it. I don't mean to sound overly dramatic or anything, because it is really very simple. As a warrior, the Shadow Lion knows the reality of her own death. That's not a popular idea in our culture. It is something that I faced on a daily basis as a firefighter/EMT, but in the intervening years, I have become complacent and comfortably numb. Until recently.

Here is the first installment of my revisions, as promised two days ago...

Finalized Fitness Goals

General Notes: Consolidated Fitness Side Quest and Main Quest Goal #1 into one goal and adjusted overall numbers of workouts downward on frequency and volume to more realistically reflect current fitness level. Rolled the posture awareness portion of my second goal into the mobility work for greater focus. Kind of messed with my nice, neat point scheme, but oh well.

1 ) The Shadow Lion is a sleek, strong, and supple ranger with lots of stamina. STR-1 STA-3 DEX-1

A) The Shadow Lion LAUGHS at Burpees! STR-1 STA-2

1) Mix and match my progressive home burpee sessions and CrossFit classes for a total of four workouts per week.
By the end of this challenge, I will do 55 standard burpees with good form, divided into three sets or less, in under 30 minutes including rest breaks. This is in response to learning of, and in preparation for, a tradition at my box that everyone does n burpees on their birthday, n = said person's number of years on the planet. There is no time limit.

Right now, I'm the oldest, slowest member of my box and my 56th birthday is in August. I started building up burpees on February 15, with a small circuit of 4 x 3 Burpees and 4 x 3 Knee Pushups done while doing household chores, 5-10 minutes active rest between each sets, 63 minutes total time. On February 19th, I did 5 x 4 Burpees with moderately good form, but still using knee-pushups, in approximately 21 minutes, with just under 4 minutes of rest between sets.

How this fits with longer term goals: On August 22nd, I want to do 56 standard burpees with a few slick variations thrown in, at a better than 9 burpees per minute pace and with a smile on my face, to show the whippersnappers a thing or two. Did I mention that the Shadow Lion has a competitive streak?

B ) Six 15 to 20 minute Mobility and Corrective Exercise Sessions per week. DEX-1

Areas of particular focus: Head and neck alignment, pelvic floor, hip flexors, feet and ankles, bone builders.

I will emphasize listening to my body and respecting it's structural needs. Actively participate in "Upward Spiral" accountabilibuddy group and learn more about how to best counteract the amount of sitting I do. Find ways to apply the specific daily mobility work more generally throughout the day and increase my awareness of my body at rest and as it moves through space. Study my body as a tensegrity structure. Research alternate seating options at the computer, consider a walking workstation. Journal. Post. Measure, photos. If I attend an organized CrossFit class, this will count both towards A) above and as my mobility workout for that day. This is a concession to the reality of time constraints.

C ) Slow ramp up on C25K. STA-1

Aim for 2 sessions per week, plus any necessary repeats, to be completed in a 16-18 week time frame. These are subordinate to A) above, and may be adjusted down to 1x per week if necessary for recovery purposes, but not for time constraints.

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Just stopping by your thread - hope you had a great day 3.  I'm very impressed by all that you have taken on.

Thanks, ARock! Day Three has been good. Not a lot done physically as the seasonal allergies hit pretty hard today, but got a lot of stuff focused and clarified. Will do my burpees and mobility in a little bit.

Your exercise is going great, and it sounds like your journal is benefiting you.  

The journal is a major help. It is making a huge difference in my awareness and motivation, and therefore on my actions.

Wow, that's a lot going on! I can see where you might want to scale back a little. I love the burpees challenge, too. We used to do "dirty burpees" in my Krav Maga class. Brutal, but a good workout.

I got a Jawbone UP fitness bracelet to help moderate all the sitting I do. I set it so between 8am and 5pm, if I haven't moved in half an hour, it vibrates and let's me know I need to get up. My physical therapist said just standing up and sitting back down forces you to readjust your posture. Also, I drink a lot of fruit tea during the day, so I have to get out of my chair a lot, lol.

Sounds like you're off to a great start!

What are "dirty" burpees?

I've been thinking of getting a fitness monitor, too. That sounds like a great way to use it.

Thanks for stopping by!

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Revised Health Goal

The scope of this goal has been widened to include environmental factors, in light of the onset of seasonal allergies and a recognition that my living environments (home and work) are affecting me in negative ways. This challenge will start to address those issues both as system "inputs," along with food and water, and as recovery issues. The change in scope is counterbalanced by a corresponding narrowing of focus onto a limited number of very specific tasks in this section and in my side quest.

2 ) The Shadow Lion listens to and respects her body. She treats her body well and gives it what it needs. CON-3 WIS-2

I am finding that my exercise program is changing how I relate to food. I did better last challenge during those times I failed to log my food and simply paid more attention to what my body was truly hungry for. This requires discernment on my part and I need to stay alert for potential self-deception, but if I can pull it off, it promises a healthier, more intuitive, and satisfying experience of corporeality. I am also realizing that I sometimes use food as a substitute for hungers/needs in other areas of in my life. Those hungers/needs that are primarily physical and environmental will be addressed in this goal. Other types of hungers will be addressed in my side challenge. 

A ) The Grand Experiment in Intuitive Eating CON-1 WIS-1

The goal is to gradually improve my eating habits, in both quantity and quality of food eaten, by paying closer attention to my body's needs and signals. I will journal daily, at a minimum to foster my bodily awareness and quantify my progress. Awareness prompts: a daily morning "check-in" in which I determine how I feel based on the previous day's food and water intake, what intake would be appropriate for the new day's needs and activities, and what I can do to become a better caretaker of my body; periodic check-ins throughout the day, especially before eating anything, where I ask myself how I am feeling and if what I am about to eat is respectful and nurturing of my body, and if it furthers my long term goals; an evening review of how I did for the day. Journal entries may be writing focused, as in answering the above questions, or alternatives like body dialoguing, mind maps, or body maps/drawings/doodles.

Key question before eating: "Would I feed a child of mine the way I am feeding myself?"

Grading for this goal will be based on my consistency in making entries in my journal, by the amount of growth in my awareness, and by any increased ability to act on such awareness. Periodic use of a scale, photos, and measurements are permitted, but they are not primary.

The primary focus is: "How do I feel in my own skin?"

B ) Recovery, Rest and Relaxation CON-2 WIS-1

1) Keep to sleep schedule and get sufficient quantity of sleep - Bedtime is 12:30 a.m or earlier; get at least of 7 hours minimum sleep per night. If having insomnia related to hormonal issues, rest, meditate, or otherwise relax until able to get to sleep - Do Not Get On the Computer! CON-1

2) One day per week complete rest from exercise and one day of active recovery - But if need more rest, take it! WIS-1

3) Spend at least fifteen minutes per day outside - This is challenging during allergy season, but I need the sunshine and air! CON-1

The above will be documented on a daily basis in my body awareness journal and be graded in the same manner as 2A. Use of my heart rate monitor is fine, as are other forms of biofeedback. These will help me become more aware, too. It doesn't all have to be gooey intuitive. Gotta have some hard data... Ha!

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Day Three

Allergies problematic today. Had to resort to OTC medications above and beyond my natural remedies to be able to function.

I was scheduled to do a CrossFit workout today but opted for half of a mobility workout of easy stretches and twists, and a home workout of burpees. Ten minute set timer, 11/10, finished at 11:46.

Journaled, Food good. Only one major slip for the week out of the three days.

Plus two of the three revisions done and posted.

Bedtime!

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Oh allergies.....I rarely get them, thankfully, so I have no idea what triggers mine..but when I do....I'm dying that's all there is to it

Everything-Hurts-and-Im-Dying-Parks-and-

My Current Challenge

Facebook Anyone?

EMAIL!

Tiefling Ranger/Rogue Hybrid with ShadowDancer prestige, wolf companion, and Spiked Chain proficiency, BOOM my awesomeness just broke your campaign - Me

Good gif! Doing somewhat better today on allergies. Tree pollens here in Phoenix are just killer. Looking forward to rain this weekend - we need it because of the drought and it will knock the pollens out of the air for a little while.

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Finalized Side Quests

I wasn't going to do a Fitness related side quest once I moved the burpees into the Main Quest, but I've changed my mind. There are some things I need to do in this challenge time frame that relate to my second goal of improving my health through greater awareness of my body and attention to my environment. I need to reduce my stress levels. I am not a city girl by nature and living in a large metro area is hard on me. I need to defuse my stress from all the driving I have to do for work, and find ways to create some peaceful oases in my day. I also need to get out of the smog and noise and bustle on a regular basis.

Fitness Side Quest

The Shadow Lion is a Ranger and thrives in a natural environment. She lives in an orderly space. CON-2 (Final Revision, Feb. 27, 2014)

1) Get out of Dodge CON-1

Take at least two day trips this challenge that will get me out of the city and into nature. I sacrifice this too often in the name of getting ahead in my work, with the aim that it will get me out of the Valley permanently someday. Somedays don't always happen. Do it now. More time away = better, farther away = better. But any step in that direction is good. If time does not allow a complete escape, going to a nature preserve, botanical garden, park, etc. within the city limits for several hours will count as half a trip.

2) Order CON-1

15 minutes minimum per day of clearing out the cruft, every day. My clutter creates stress and gets in the way of productivity and enjoying life.

Level Up Life Quest

The Shadow Lion clarifies her goals and keeps her creative side alive. WIS-1 CHA-2

This is where I really get caught up in "Do All the Things!" Must find a way to focus and prioritize! That, or win the lottery, ha!

1) Take the Warrior Stance WIS-1

Read "The Combat Position: Achieving Firefighter Readiness" and make necessary preparations to work through the accompanying Workbook "Fire Service Warrior Foundations" for next challenge

2) Make the Tough Call CHA-1

Do I go back and finish up the Fire Science Cert (was only 2 classes away from done, with a 4.0) or declare it deceased and move on? Have a definitive answer by April 6 and, if I choose to do it, have a definitive next step in place.

3) The Creative Grab Bag CHA-1

Complete any three of the below items and share with accountabilibuddies.

Art - One life drawing class; make swatches and revise colored pencil palettes; make watercolor palette charts; one finished drawing

Craft - Finish the damned shrug already! Finish WIP socks. Spin at least 3 oz. fiber into useable yarn. Indigo dye a shirt or some yarn..

Creative Renewal - Plan a getaway/vacation to San Diego to see the Joaquin Bastida Sorolla exhibit, plus have some general R & R

Fiddle - Find my misplaced edited copy of Theme from Schindler's List (or redo it). Relearn and memorize it.

Guitar - Edit "Recuerdos de la Alhambra" and relearn and memorize it.

Musicianship - Attend a concert; any mix of one dozen sightreading/ear training/sightsinging/dictation exercises

Writing - Three installments/posts of "Shadow Lion" themed challenge.

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Doubled

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Hey you got in a workout and that is what counts.  Doesn't matter where it is at.  Glad that you are feeling better today.

True - thanks for the good perspective, Mikroftt!

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Ha! Love it!

Here is to mega-burpeeness this challenge for both of us, and anyone else we can rope into the madness. Perhaps there are the makings of a PVP here somewhere?

I would say yes....yes there is, but what exactly....hmmm Most in a minute? fastest to some large number? who knows.....

• Like 1

My Current Challenge

Facebook Anyone?

EMAIL!

Nature is a good thing. Enjoy it!

Completely random thought: Are you into butterflies? If so, the Southwest Monarch Project might offer an enjoyable excuse for a day trip. It's a citizen science project that tags monarchs in Arizona to try to figure out if and where they migrate (California like western Monarchs, or Mexico like eastern ones.) The timing doesn't quite work for their main project, but I think they have other field things as well.

• Like 1

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines