The ShadowLion Laughs at Burpees

ShadowLion

Day Four

One of my Creative Grab Bag goals done: Went to a concert tonight with a friend to see a guitar trio (classical guitar, Brazilian jazz, and contemporary jazz - very cool). Got me all excited to revive some of my Latin guitar pieces. We got to talking about vacations over dinner. It looks like we'll be planning that vacation to San Diego (one of my other grab bag goals) together. Fun!

Got my workout in despite allergies - 14:29, 10/9/9 Burpees. That's half my goal number and time for this challenge! My form was pretty pathetic, though, so I'll dock myself 20%, but that's still 40% of the way towards my goal for this challenge! I had divided my burpee challenge into three phases, one phase each for this challenge and the two subsequent ones, thinking it would take me that long to finish it. I may be on a faster track than expected! My form does need a lot of work, though. but I'm getting very close to full pushups.

Mobility work was done in the breaks in between the burpees and at the end for 8 minutes of shoulder and neck stretches and hip flexor stretches, plus 7 minutes of inversion board hanging and adjusting my alignment.

Finished my challenge revisions and am pretty happy with them. I'm probably still trying to do too much, but I'm going to stretch for it.

Did my 15 minutes of clutter patrol and the dining room and kitchen are in good shape now. Will move on to the office tomorrow.

Journaled. Ate pretty well. Moderate amounts, good quality food.

I'm having some typing challenges at the moment. I have a kitten who is fascinated with my cursor...

• Like 1

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Nature is a good thing. Enjoy it!

Completely random thought: Are you into butterflies? If so, the Southwest Monarch Project might offer an enjoyable excuse for a day trip. It's a citizen science project that tags monarchs in Arizona to try to figure out if and where they migrate (California like western Monarchs, or Mexico like eastern ones.) The timing doesn't quite work for their main project, but I think they have other field things as well.

Thanks! This sounds great - I will check it out!

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

I would say yes....yes there is, but what exactly....hmmm Most in a minute? fastest to some large number? who knows.....

Guess it depends on how competitive we want to make it. There was a plank challenge awhile back for the Rangers that was scalable to your fitness level and everyone had to work up to a certain number of minutes. That seemed like a win-win. More people could participate but it was still challenging. Have to think on it some more.

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Please post on your thread if you do end up making a burpee pvp. I would be in.

Also...kitten photo please!!

I will. Drunkensnake and I have kicked around a couple of ideas, but it's still in the formative stages. Do you have any ideas on how to structure such a pvp? This is new territory for me.

The kittens are getting pretty big, they're about 9 - 10 months old now, so almost full grown. I tried taking a couple of pics tonight but the lighting was bad. In the meantime, here are some from last summer. Little tuxedo cats that were born to a stray that took up residence in our backyard. They all have happy homes now! The gray one went to one of my students, and mom and the two black & white kittens have stayed on here with the long hair tuxedo that I have had for 10 years. It's quite a house full!

Ma And kitties

jeeves1

sweetpea1

belle1

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Day Five

Signed up for Rangers mini-challenge

M1. Rest Day from Burpees/Crossfit/15 minute Sitting workout done/Rest Day C25K

M2. Journaled with text alternative - made a body map drawing/Food - OK, cheat meal for date night (pre-planned) didn't agree with me and some other digestive things going on. I think my body is giving me some very direct feedback about the kind of food it wants!/Recovery - Good, holding to sleep rules, took rest day from heavier workouts after big burpee bash last night/45 minutes outside today (Yay!) and got to enjoy a storm moving in - antihistamines and decongestants are my friends right now!

FSQ. 15 minutes of decluttering in office

LLQ. Read Intro and first chapter of "The Combat Position," realizing just how much I miss my old life/prioritized my grab bag items/Spent an hour and a half watching one of my violin videos that arrived from England this week, after a three month wait. Very good stuff!

Bedtime!

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Kittens!!

I haven't seen a kitten for far too long now.

My bunch of elderly crotchety old cats act as if i don't exist.

Sorry to hear about the allergies.

Level 8 : Wizard Blacksmith 

[ STR 6 | DEX 6 | STA 5 | CON 5 | WIS 10 | CHA 4 ]

Jakkals, 2019 nommer 3

Spoiler

Adapt yourself to the things among which your lot has been cast

and love sincerely the fellow creatures with whom destiny has

ordained that you shall live.

-Marcus Aurelius

Kittens!!

I haven't seen a kitten for far too long now.

My bunch of elderly crotchety old cats act as if i don't exist.

Sorry to hear about the allergies.

Hey, Jakkals! These are some old pics. I'll get some new ones up soon as they are almost full grown now. But they still act like kittens! They really liked the rain today. They were running all around the house and chasing each other. Pretty entertaining.

The rain was great. We always need rain here in the desert, but this time of year it's really nice because it cleans all the pollen out of the air. I got to open the house up, didn't have to take any allergy medication, AND played with the little monsters a bunch.

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Day Six
Had everything that I had planned for challenge today done by 7:30 pm, so I had the rest of the evening to do some of my other creative grab bag goals, which was nice. It was a very productive, yet relaxing, day.

M1A -  Rest day from burpees and CrossFit. Did try full pushups and managed two with so-so form. I can get all the way down with good form now, but sag on the way back up.

M1B -  Did a longer mobility workout, a little over 20 minutes as I had more time than usual. Did 10 minutes on the inversion board with some stretching and twisting added to loosen up back and neck. Something I've been wanting to try for awhile - got out the sphygmomanometer and put it under my lower back and pressed lower back to board in both upright and inverted positions. A dozen reps each. Then same for neck. Not much difference between positions for back, but got twice as much pressure inverted on neck. The stretched position decreases the gap between neck and board significantly. I really felt like my neck muscles got a workout, so did some ROM and stretching at the end to  hopefully avert any soreness tomorrow.

M1C - Would have been second session of C25K for the week, but got rained out. Supposed to be good weather tomorrow, so plan to do it then.

M2A - Spent over 4 hours in the kitchen today. Made a huge batch of my old standby Broccoli Cheddar soup. I've got containers all ready to go for lunches this week and another 4 - 5 quarts in the freezer to get me through the challenge. AND I made the Cinnamon Apple Pork chops posted DrCalcart in the Renaissance Rebels thread. They were amazing. Best pork chops I've ever made! Those have earned a permanent spot in my recipe file. Journaled, good on food, slipped some in asking my questions, though. Worked on some ideas for revamping my wardrobe as I transition from fat and frumpy to fit and fashionable. (Well, maybe, "non-frumpy.")

M2B - Slept well, though still having some hot flashes. Not as bad as they were, thankfully. Kept to my sleep schedule pretty well, though I am waking up earlier than I planned. Sometimes that is due to cats. But sometimes, I just wake up naturally at about 6.5 to 7 hours. I am experimenting to see if I can go back to sleep, can take naps if needed, or whether I just don't need 7.5 to 8 hours of sleep. Will adjust if needed once it becomes clear.  See also FSQ2.

FSQ1 - Nothing on this today.

FSQ2 - Outside for about 5 minutes and I couldn't take the pollen any longer. It was very windy and dusty in advance of the approaching storm. Once the rain started, I was able to open the front and back doors and let the air circulate through the house. That was nice. And I sat in the entryway and organized paperwork for about an hour. I'm counting that towards my 15 minutes of organizing and my 15 minutes outside per day.

LLQ1 - Read second chapter of "The Combat Position."

LLQ2 - Reviewing physical requirements for various jobs that my certificate would qualify me for and thinking about what is possible. Started a pros & cons sheet to write down things as I think of them.

LLQ3 - Fiddled for about an hour and a half. Found my Schindler's List music and worked on it for about half an hour, sightread a number of classical pieces and fiddle tunes, plus tried out a few of the exercises from the video I watched last night.

A very good day. Played with kitties and watched it rain!

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

A very good day indeed! Thanks for posting the photos too :-)

Sounds like you are doing really well, so it seems like it was a great idea to restructure your challenge.

I'm not sure what to do with a burpee pvp. The only thing I have done like that is a "100 day burpee challenge" over FB a few years back. We started at 1, and added 1 each day until we got to 100 (it was fun but brutal...the only saving grace was the burpees could be spread throughout the day as needed). I think for NF it would be better to do something shorter, and for people already doing burpees it would be good to be able to start with a higher number...so I'm not sure what to suggest. I'll think about it too.

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

The Cinnamon Apples do sound yummy!  Kittens are cute!  I am more of a puppy person though.

I come from a family that always had dogs and cats, and I have had dogs and cats much of my adult life as well. I keep wanting to get a dog again, but we currently have FOUR cats, due to last year's kitten invaders forming an alliance with the already resident cat. We have officially surrendered and are currently living under occupation, which is straining the pet capacity pretty hard at my house.

Here's to puppies!

med_gallery_17054_923_114013.jpg

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

the Cat nation continues to expanded unimpeded....troubling times are afoot friends lol

Level 5 Tiefling Ranger/Assassin Hybrid

|STR:15 | DEX:5 | STA:9 | CON:6 | WIS:6 | CHA:4 |

My Current Challenge

Challenges: First | Second |Third | Fourth | Fifth |  Sixth

Facebook Anyone?

EMAIL!

Tiefling Ranger/Rogue Hybrid with ShadowDancer prestige, wolf companion, and Spiked Chain proficiency, BOOM my awesomeness just broke your campaign - Me

A very good day indeed! Thanks for posting the photos too :-)

Sounds like you are doing really well, so it seems like it was a great idea to restructure your challenge.

I'm not sure what to do with a burpee pvp. The only thing I have done like that is a "100 day burpee challenge" over FB a few years back. We started at 1, and added 1 each day until we got to 100 (it was fun but brutal...the only saving grace was the burpees could be spread throughout the day as needed). I think for NF it would be better to do something shorter, and for people already doing burpees it would be good to be able to start with a higher number...so I'm not sure what to suggest. I'll think about it too.

Maybe a combination continuous/cumulative thing would work? Start would be how many you can do continuously in one minute (or more, for those who can) to establish a baseline, and determine a burpee per minute pace. The challenge would be to see how many you could work up to over the course of 30 days. Scores would be (number of continuous burpees) x (the burpees per minute pace).

An example from my quest: I started at 5 continuous in a minute, a score of 25; I am currently at 11 in 1:27 (approx. 8 bpm pace), a score of 88, a 284% improvement from Feb. 14 to Feb 28. I am aiming for at least 18 in under 3 minutes by the end of this challenge - a score of 108, or 438%. If I can keep my pace up, I may see an over 500% improvement in less than 8 weeks - that's motivation!

That type of scoring rewards individual improvements in numbers and/or pace. It doesn't prescribe any particular method. I think it also strikes a balance between giving experienced members something that fits their level while challenging them to improve, while hopefully not disadvantaging or demotivating newbies. Not sure what could be done about form, other than posting videos. We probably wouldn't get as many takers.

And the math might frighten a few. Maybe a spreadsheet for people to enter their numbers and it would calculate their scores automatically?

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

the Cat nation continues to expanded unimpeded....troubling times are afoot friends lol

Ha! My little ladies are not going to contribute anything back to the feline gene pool, though.

There's been a lot of yowling outside at night the last few weeks, and I'm afraid that some other cat will decide that our backyard is an inviting place to have her kittens. I'm thinking mama cat may become an outdoor cat again (allowed some indoor visits), so she would occupy the yard again as her territory. It would also cut down on the push-pull over dominance that has developed between her and the old neutered male.

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Week 1 Summary

A very good week!

1 ) The Shadow Lion is a sleek, strong, and supple ranger with lots of stamina. STR-1 STA-3 DEX-1 (Final Revision, Feb. 26, 2014)

A) The Shadow Lion LAUGHS at Burpees! STR-1 STA-2

Mix and match my progressive home burpee sessions and CrossFit classes for a total of four workouts per week.
By the end of this challenge, I will do 55 standard burpees with good form, divided into three sets or less, in under 30 minutes including rest breaks. This is in response to learning of, and in preparation for, a tradition at my box that everyone does n burpees on their birthday, n = said person's number of years on the planet. There is no time limit.

Right now, I'm the oldest, slowest member of my box and my 56th birthday is in August. I started building up burpees on February 15, with a small circuit of 4 x 3 Burpees and 4 x 3 Knee Pushups done while doing household chores, 5-10 minutes active rest between each sets, 63 minutes total time. On February 19th, I did 5 x 4 Burpees with moderately good form, but still using knee-pushups, in approximately 21 minutes, with just under 4 minutes of rest between sets.

Feb. 27 - 10/9/9 Burpees, 6:30 start intervals, 14:27 - Half of goal number and less than half the time for Phase 1; form fair, still doing knee-pushups

How this fits with longer term goals: On August 22nd, I want to do 56 standard burpees with a few slick variations thrown in, at a better than 9 burpees per minute pace and with a smile on my face, to show the whippersnappers a thing or two. Did I mention that the Shadow Lion has a competitive streak? (4/28)

B ) Six 15 to 20 minute Mobility and Corrective Exercise Sessions per week. DEX-1

Areas of particular focus: Head and neck alignment, pelvic floor, hip flexors, feet and ankles, bone builders.

I will emphasize listening to my body and respecting it's structural needs. Actively participate in "Upward Spiral" accountabilibuddy group and learn more about how to best counteract the amount of sitting I do. Find ways to apply the specific daily mobility work more generally throughout the day and increase my awareness of my body at rest and as it moves through space. Study my body as a tensegrity structure. Research alternate seating options at the computer, consider a walking workstation. Journal. Post. Measure, photos. If I attend an organized CrossFit class, this will count both towards A) above and as my mobility workout for that day. This is a concession to the reality of time constraints. (7/36)

C ) Slow ramp up on C25K. STA-1

Aim for 2 sessions per week, plus any necessary repeats, to be completed in a 16-18 week time frame. These are subordinate to A) above, and may be adjusted down to 1x per week if necessary for recovery purposes, but not for time constraints. (1/12)

2 ) The Shadow Lion listens to and respects her body. She treats her body well and gives it what it needs. CON-3 WIS-2 (Final Revision, Feb. 27, 2014)

I am finding that my exercise program is changing how I relate to food. I did better last challenge during those times I failed to log my food and simply paid more attention to what my body was truly hungry for. This requires discernment on my part and I need to stay alert for potential self-deception, but if I can pull it off, it promises a healthier, more intuitive, and satisfying experience of corporeality. I am also realizing that I sometimes use food as a substitute for hungers/needs in other areas of in my life. Those hungers/needs that are primarily physical and environmental will be addressed in this goal. Other types of hungers will be addressed in my side challenge. 

A ) The Grand Experiment in Intuitive Eating CON-1 WIS-1

The goal is to gradually improve my eating habits, in both quantity and quality of food eaten, by paying closer attention to my body's needs and signals. I will journal daily, at a minimum to foster my bodily awareness and quantify my progress. Awareness prompts: a daily morning "check-in" in which I determine how I feel based on the previous day's food and water intake, what intake would be appropriate for the new day's needs and activities, and what I can do to become a better caretaker of my body; periodic check-ins throughout the day, especially before eating anything, where I ask myself how I am feeling and if what I am about to eat is respectful and nurturing of my body, and if it furthers my long term goals; an evening review of how I did for the day. Journal entries may be writing focused, as in answering the above questions, or alternatives like body dialoguing, mind maps, or body maps/drawings/doodles. (7/42)

Key question before eating: "Would I feed a child of mine the way I am feeding myself?"

Grading for this goal will be based on my consistency in making entries in my journal, by the amount of growth in my awareness, and by any increased ability to act on such awareness. Periodic use of a scale, photos, and measurements are permitted, but they are not primary.

The primary focus is: "How do I feel in my own skin?"

B ) Recovery, Rest and Relaxation CON-2 WIS-1

1) Keep to sleep schedule and get sufficient quantity of sleep - Bedtime is 12:30 a.m or earlier; get at least of 7 hours minimum sleep per night. If having insomnia related to hormonal issues, rest, meditate, or otherwise relax until able to get to sleep - Do Not Get On the Computer! CON-1 (6/42)

2) One day per week complete rest from exercise and one day of active recovery - But if need more rest, take it! WIS-1 (2/12)

3) Spend at least fifteen minutes per day outside - This is challenging during allergy season, but I need the sunshine and air! CON-1 (7/42)

The above will be documented on a daily basis in my body awareness journal and be graded in the same manner as 2A. Use of my heart rate monitor is fine, as are other forms of biofeedback. These will help me become more aware, too. It doesn't all have to be gooey intuitive. Gotta have some hard data... Ha!

Fitness Side Quest

The Shadow Lion is a Ranger and thrives in a natural environment. She lives in an orderly space. CON-2 (Final Revision, Feb. 27, 2014)

1) Get out of Dodge CON-1

Take at least two day trips this challenge that will get me out of the city and into nature. I sacrifice this too often in the name of getting ahead in my work, with the aim that it will get me out of the Valley permanently someday. Somedays don't always happen. Do it now. More time away = better, farther away = better. But any step in that direction is good. If time does not allow a complete escape, going to a nature preserve, botanical garden, park, etc. within the city limits for several hours will count as half a trip. (0/2)

2) Order CON-1

15 minutes minimum per day of clearing out the cruft, every day. My clutter creates stress and gets in the way of productivity and enjoying life. (7/42)

Level Up Life Quest

The Shadow Lion clarifies her goals and keeps her creative side alive. WIS-1 CHA-2

This is where I really get caught up in "Do All the Things!" Must find a way to focus and prioritize! That, or win the lottery, ha!

1) Take the Warrior Stance WIS-1

Read "The Combat Position: Achieving Firefighter Readiness" and make necessary preparations to work through the accompanying workbook "Fire Service Warrior Foundations" for next challenge (Intro and 3 of 6 chapters read)

2) Make the Tough Call CHA-1

Do I go back and finish up the Fire Science Cert (was only 2 classes away from done, with a 4.0) or declare it deceased and move on? Have a definitive answer by April 6 and, if I choose to do it, have a next step determined and in place. (Have established decision criteria)

3) The Creative Grab Bag CHA-1

Complete any three items from below and share with accountabilibuddies.

Art - One life drawing class; make swatches and revise colored pencil palettes; make watercolor palette charts; one finished drawing

Craft - Finish the damned shrug already! Finish WIP socks. Spin at least 3 oz. fiber into useable yarn. Indigo dye a shirt or some yarn.

Creative Renewal - Plan a getaway/vacation to San Diego to see the Joaquin Bastida Sorolla exhibit, plus have some general R & R while there. (Found dates of show and someone to go with)

Fiddle - Find my misplaced edited copy of Theme from Schindler's List (or redo it). Relearn and memorize it. (Found, 1x practiced)

Guitar - Edit "Recuerdos de la Alhambra" and relearn and memorize it. (1x practice)

Musicianship - Attend a concert (DONE, 02/27/2014); any mix of one dozen sightreading/ear training/sightsinging/dictation exercises (1/12)

Writing - Three installments/posts of "Shadow Lion" themed challenge.

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Day Seven

After such a big day Saturday took it a bit easier.

M1. Burpee workout: For form - pushups, squat-thrusts slow and rhythmically, best form possible. Got a couple of sloppy full pushups in. Knee-pushups getting easy!/15 minute inversion workout/Punked out on my second C25K session

M2. Journaled/Ate well/Stayed up too late - ruined my perfect score/15 minutes outside

FSQ. 1 hour filing and decluttering in office

LLQ. Read third chapter of "The Combat Position."

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Definitely some water weight last week - I'm down 4 pounds and within a pound of my lowest weight since starting NF. And I still feel a little bit puffy. Hormones, ugh.

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Day Eight

M1. Rest Day

M2. Journaled, ate well, and reveled in having lost four pounds (even though I know it was basically all water weight). Sleep was good and timely. Outside for 15 minutes plus. Allergies pretty well under control with OTC medicine and the side effects are manageable. Still having hot flashes.

FSQ. Read Chapter Four. Doing some heavy-duty pondering about the future. Cleaned and organized some more in the office, but just minimum amount. I was lazy today.

LLQ. Life Drawing Class. My drawings were pretty bad, but I got an exercise to do that sounds really beneficial. I will post the results that of instead. I need glasses. The model was really fuzzy. I kept squinting and it didn't help that much.

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Looks like a good start to the challenge!  You have a lot going on but seem to be managing it well.  Keep up the good work!  Glad you are doing better with the allergies.

Thanks! It's going a lot better since I got a handle on the allergy medications. Here's to a great week two!

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Two busy work days. I allowing makeup days on my "clutter patrol" when things get too chaotic.

Day Nine

CrossFit workout - counts for mobility and strength/endurance

Journaled, ate very well. This awareness thing is working!

Missed my bedtime

15 minutes outdoors

Missed my clutter patrol

Day Ten

Was due to do a session of C25K, but feeling really tired. Substituted a 30 minute exercise bike ride. Took the bike onto the back porch to get my outside time in.  Guess the CrossFit is working. I haven't done an exercise bike session in about ten weeks, but today did 25% more distance with no greater effort!

Journaled. Ate well.

Doubled up on my clutter patrol to make up for yesterday

Read some more of "Combat Position"

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Forgot to put down my mobility workout from Day 10:

Stretching and twisting exercises for back; neck, wrist and shoulder stretches

Day Eleven

CrossFit - Lots of stretching, twisting and bending on today's mobility work. Floor exercises, rolls and falls. Upper body strength - pullups, dips.

Journaled, ate very well. I have been making good choices and successfully resisting temptation, in large part because of what I have been learning about the effects of diet in "The Depression Cure."

Made my bedtime and got eight hours(!) sleep. Exercise and more natural light seem to be factors.

15+ minutes outdoors

Clutter patrol consisted in clearing out a dresser drawer of exercise wear, sorting through it, and getting rid of everything that is TOO BIG! Wore some workout capris and a form-fitting top for the first time to my workout. No more baggy T-shirts and sweat pants. Yes, the fat shows and there are bulges, but I wasn't fooling anyone with the frumpy clothes anyway. I might as well wear something more stylish and confident.

Still reading "Combat Position" and have added "The Depression Cure."

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Random Curmudgeonry

I saw something today that really made me wonder - a panel truck that said "Tot Turf - Playground Safety Surfaces." Back a thousand years ago, when I was a tot, we had DIRT.

Feeling smart alecky. Just practicing to be a company officer again someday...

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines