FYI - New Challenge Forums will be live tomorrow ×

The ShadowLion Laughs at Burpees

ShadowLion

Week Five and Six Summary

It was an extremely busy couple of weeks, but I managed to get back on track with exercising (despite the messed up shoulder and elbow) and keep with everything - except my sleep schedule. That was all over the map.

Exercise - I've pulled back from Crossfit for now. I would like to go back once I've conditioned joints, ligaments and tendons to handle the volume. We'll see if that will work. For now, I am focusing on 4+ times per week on lower body exercises, stationary bicycling and walking until my right arm is back to lifting and burpeeing. It's close to healed. Vibram Five-fingers are great and I am upping mileage and time per day in them.

"Mobility" is now officially "Mobility/Stability/Balance/DURABILITY" work with prehab/rehab exercises and a lot of new moves for coordination, balance and posture.

Food - I did well on the awareness exercises and journal. I am back at my lowest weight of any challenge so far, and all without "dieting" or any special food regimen.

Sleep - This has been all over the map. I do great for a few days then it all falls apart again and I stay up half the night. This is definitely affected by hormones/hot flashes. I just keep doing the best I can.

Get Out of Dodge - Got out of town for a full day and went to the mountains. Beautiful weather and scenery. Yay!

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Challenge Summary

This was a very successful challenge for me, despite getting sick and injured. Rather than give up or try to pig-headedly push through and really mess myself up, I adjusted my challenge to accommodate reality. (What a concept! One that has taken my 55 years to learn, however...) I just got back on track and kept going. That is as big a win as any other outcome of this challenge. And there were some good ones of those, too, including noticeably improved posture, a five pound weight loss, and consistent, sustained progress on creativity, clearing clutter, and clarifying life goals. The first couple of weeks of Crossfit this challenge were pretty cool, too.

And burpees? I did quite well until I had to back off and heal up my shoulder. I don't dread them any more... I'm actually looking forward to getting back to them this coming challenge!

1 ) The Shadow Lion is a sleek, strong, and supple ranger with lots of stamina. STR-1 STA-3 DEX-1 (5/5) A

A ) The Shadow Lion LAUGHS at Burpees! STR-1 STA-2 (18/19) A

B ) Six 15 to 20 minute Mobility and Corrective Exercise Sessions per week. DEX-1 (29/32) A-
C ) Slow ramp up on C25K. STA-1 (5/5) A+

2 ) The Shadow Lion listens to and respects her body. She treats her body well and gives it what it needs. CON-3 WIS-2 (4.5/5) A-

A ) The Grand Experiment in Intuitive Eating CON-1 WIS-1 (38/38) A+
B ) Recovery, Rest and Relaxation CON-2 WIS-1

1 ) Keep to sleep schedule and get sufficient quantity of sleep CON-1 (25/38) C ( - .5 CON)

2 ) One day per week complete rest from exercise and one day of active recovery WIS-1 (12/12) A+

3 ) Spend at least fifteen minutes per day outside CON-1 (37/38) A

Fitness Side Quest
The Shadow Lion is a Ranger and thrives in a natural environment. She lives in an orderly space. CON-2 (2/2) A+

A ) Get out of Dodge CON-1 (2/2) A+

B ) Order CON-1 (38/38) A+

Level Up Life Quest
The Shadow Lion clarifies her goals and keeps her creative side alive. WIS-1 CHA-2 (3/3) A+

A ) Take the Warrior Stance WIS-1 Done, 03/08 A+

B ) Make the Tough Call CHA-1 Done, 03/09 A+

C ) The Creative Grab Bag CHA-1 (4/3) A++

• Like 1

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Thanks! I'm working up a doozy. All these habits I've been building are going to get stress tested to mark my nerdversary.

I hope I've built up my reserves better than the big banks did - ha!

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines